• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sucker Punch is planning ‘other spin-offs’ beyond Ghost of Yotei

Draugoth

Gold Member
ghost-of-yotei-1440x810.jpg

That’s according to a New York Times interview with Ghost of Yotei creative directors Nate Fox and Jason Connell.

The pair, who will once again serve as creative directors on the project, spoke to the publication about the newly announced game, which is set 300 years after Ghost of Tsushima.

The article also notes that the annoucement of Ghost of Yotei retrospectively changes Ghost of Tsushima from a standalone game to the start of a franchise, which it says “will include at least one movie and other spin-offs”.

A Ghost of Tsushima movie is currently in the works, and will be directed by Chad Stahelski (John Wick: Chapter 4).

“When we started working on a sequel, the first question we asked ourselves is ‘what is the DNA of a Ghost game?’”

Fox told the New York Times.

“It’s about transporting the player to the romance and beauty of feudal Japan.”

Source

sloppyjoe_gamer

Gold Member
What is with these devs now who are only capable of running one franchise into the ground? Neil Wokeman with Last of Us, Horizon Forbidden Chin games all over the place, and now SP wants to do a ton of these Ghost games too. SO many other franchises we haven't seen in years, and they are all focusing on one per dev studio. Who's ordering all of this, Sony?

I read the other day that reusing assets is efficiency. They should release atleast a game every year.

Last edited:

llLeonhart

Interesting they're calling it a spin off, thought it was a full blown sequel, this kind of dehyped me a little bit. What about Infamous? God I miss that franchise.

Punished Miku

Human Rights Subscription Service
If they do Ghost games out of Japan. It gives us more interesting history just outside of Assassin's Creed. But then again, Sony is a woke company as well now.
I didn't even connect the dots on that, but it makes a ton of sense. It really is basically Assassin's Creed, even with the same combat system as the original games. I guess they could do Ghost of (other countries). I can't imagine they'd be able to do a 3rd feudal Japan game without burning people out.

dezzy8

I'm all for it. I hope this is as good as Tsushima. They need to add some romance in it too. I was so mad Jin never boinked Yuna. Plus with the success of Shogun, maybe they can see themselves making a successful TV series out of this IP.

Last edited:

Zacfoldor

Interesting they're calling it a spin off, thought it was a full blown sequel, this kind of dehyped me a little bit. What about Infamous? God I miss that franchise.
To be fair Star Trek: The Next Generation is a spinoff of TOS and The Simpsons is a spinoff of The Tracey Ullman Show so like, the term spin-off by itself does not necessarily mean a negative and it can be better than the original work. I wouldn't worry over that terminology.

"will include one movie and other spin-offs", could mean anything. TV series, short anthology series( like the one starring god of war), etc. Doesn't mean only games. Infact, considering the context, I highly doubt they mean games.
They're gonna take the AC route and I would have done the same. They can play with history and time periods at will.
Knowing Sucker Punch history, they will make a third Ghost game and move to a new IP but Sony can obviously have another studio to work on this IP.

JaksGhost

What is with these devs now who are only capable of running one franchise into the ground? Neil Wokeman with Last of Us, Horizon Forbidden Chin games all over the place, and now SP wants to do a ton of these Ghost games too. SO many other franchises we haven't seen in years, and they are all focusing on one per dev studio. Who's ordering all of this, Sony?
There is no IP growth if all you guys want are sequels sequels sequels of games that already have a ton of sequels sequels sequels.

Killzone has 6 entries in the series.
Infamous has 4 entries in the series.
God of War has over 10 games in the series.
Ratchet and Clank has over 13 games in the series.
Syphon Filter has 6 games in the series.
Uncharted has around 6-7 games in the series.
Resistance has 5 entries in the series.

We can go on about this.

midnightAI

I'm all for it. I hope this is as good as Tsushima. They need to add some romance in it too. I was so mad Jin never boinked Yuna. Plus with the success of Shogun, maybe they can see themselves making a successful TV series out of this IP.
I was thinking maybe a TV series is a better direction than a film, especially if they want to have different time periods etc. they could even do a cleverly woven multiple time periods story that fit together somehow

Punished Miku

I was thinking maybe a TV series is a better direction than a film, especially if they want to have different time periods etc. they could even do a cleverly woven multiple time periods story that fit together somehow
I think Shogun just scared them off a TV show. Most Emmy nominations ever. Good luck.

Last edited:

PatientGamer

Gold Member
So they're going the AC route.

Maybe this is in response to Hitoki saying 'we don't have enough original IP'.

So instead of creating a franchise that likely has a maximum of 4 entries like Uncharted or TLOU, they're building gaming ecosystems instead, where revenue can be generated outside of the original entertainment format.

So 'Ghost' could theoretically tell many stories.

It could get fukken stale real fast if they're not careful though.

Demon Souls/Dark Souls or AC. The route they go down will affect the IP forever.

Sony saw 13 million sold for the first game and thought they could easily turn it into a 100 million+ franchise.

Let's hope they're right.

Punished Miku

So they're going the AC route.

Maybe this is in response to Hitoki saying 'we don't have enough original IP'.

So instead of creating a franchise that likely has a maximum of 4 entries like Uncharted or TLOU, they're building gaming ecosystems instead, where revenue can be generated outside of the original entertainment format.

So 'Ghost' could theoretically tell many stories.

It could get fukken stale real fast if they're not careful though.

Demon Souls/Dark Souls or AC. The route they go down will affect the IP forever.

Sony saw 13 million sold for the first game and thought they could easily turn it into a 100 million+ franchise.

Let's hope they're right.
I'm more convinced than ever Jade Raymond will replace the Herminator at some point.

proandrad

I hope the ghost franchise stays in Japan, the last thing we need is studio being forced to make a game about a region they don’t care about. Look at Assassins creed it’s a night and day difference the effort they put in the small details when it’s in a region they actually care about.

llLeonhart

To be fair Star Trek: The Next Generation is a spinoff of TOS and The Simpsons is a spinoff of The Tracey Ullman Show so like, the term spin-off by itself does not necessarily mean a negative and it can be better than the original work. I wouldn't worry over that terminology.
Oh, so that doesnt mean a smaller scope game like Spider man MM? If so hyped right backup

Fahdis

There is no IP growth if all you guys want are sequels sequels sequels of games that already have a ton of sequels sequels sequels.

Killzone has 6 entries in the series.
Infamous has 4 entries in the series.
God of War has over 10 games in the series.
Ratchet and Clank has over 13 games in the series.
Syphon Filter has 6 games in the series.
Uncharted has around 6-7 games in the series.
Resistance has 5 entries in the series.

We can go on about this.

Eh? Why does Nintendo get away with this but Sony can't?

JaksGhost

Enter the Ghostverse. Good for them, it's much better than creating a sequel. It's new stories & new protagonists.
It also gives them the oppurtunity to introduce new mechanics and weapons. Guns (the tanegashima) was introduced in Japan in the 1500s, well past Jin's time period.

Eh? Why does Nintendo get away with this but Sony can't?

Why can't Sony do the same thing with new IP as well? Why does it just have to be legacy IP like Nintendo? Where's the new IP from them?

Fbh

The problem with this as a franchise is that if they won't stick to a specific character there is nothing special or distinctive about it. It's just "feudal japan"

I read the other day that reusing assets is efficiency. They should release atleast a game every year.

I mean if they wanted to I think they could do a lot reusing the assets from Ghost of Tsushima.
Like make a stealth game with expanded stealth gameplay, more complex level design. Instead of open world make it stage based like Hitman or more linear like older Metal Gear and/or Splinter cell.
Or make a more linear combat focused action game, trade the open world for a much higher enemy and weapon variety and setpiece moments.
They could even go crazy (depending on how flexible the engine is) and make something like Kingdom Under Fire where you play as a general or something and it's a mix of strategy and real time combat

Lots of things you can do in feudal Japan and personally I don't give a shit if the assets for stuff like tress, buildings, armors, foliage, character models and animations are recycled from GOT.

So youre telling me SP worked on a fucking spin-off in the same engine with very little improvements aside from location/protagonist and skills, kinda like Ragnarok for so long??? Jesus fuck what happened to gaming? Some of the excited guys here are so starved of games that any skinny bone thrown at them makes them super happy. This game is a tragedy more than good news. It shows that the industry has gone fucked.

JaksGhost

So youre telling me SP worked on a fucking spin-off in the same engine with very little improvements aside from location/protagonist and skills, kinda like Ragnarok for so long??? Jesus fuck what happened to gaming? Some of the excited guys here are so starved of games that any skinny bone thrown at them makes them super happy. This game is a tragedy more than good news. It shows that the industry has gone fucked.
New characters, locations, weapons, mechanics, story, etc. It's not a spin-off it's like an anthology series where every story is different.

New characters, locations, weapons, mechanics, story, etc. It's not a spin-off it's like an anthology series where every story is different.

Sounds like an excuse. Jin was a great protagonist. A fucking tragedy not to develop the character. Nothing in the trailer looked sequel-worthy.

Jason Bateman No GIF by Emmys

Last edited:

kiphalfton

Hope you like:

- open world games
- woke games
- souls likes
- gaas
- remasters/remakes

Or any combination of the above, cuz that's all we're getting from here on out.

Zacfoldor

Sounds like an excuse. Jin was a great protagonist. A fucking tragedy not to develop the character. Nothing in the trailer looked sequel-worthy.

Jason Bateman No GIF by Emmys
You are actually having this backwards my man.

TLOU1 - the ONLY thing I wanted was for them to retire the characters, never use them again, because they made a perfect narrative and I knew any addition would ruin it. The TLOU2 came out and now I can never play TLOU1 again because it is ruined by part 2.

This way, Ghost of Tsushima will never be ruined. It will never age. It belongs to the ages now, in fact. From the cosmos, Jin looks down on us and smiles. No one can ever touch the legend of the first game now.

It takes more courage and conviction to know when to end something than to start it in the first place. Jin went out on top and shall forever be.

Whatever we get next could be great, but it won't be on Jin's back. I'm not saying love this game, but I think you should appreciate that this move was to honor Jin, not to exclude him. He will live on in legends long after all the sequels are forgotten. Perfect in the stars.

Just like the Persona series must move on from our most beloved characters, Ghosts needed to move on from Jin, not for Ghosts, but for Jin. He's served us well and now he may rest, forever unsullied.

Last edited:

AJUMP23

Parody of actual AJUMP23
Jokes are funny, and you people making the same joke every single thread becomes annoying - no longer funny
some jokes are funny, some joke are cutting commentary on the current culture. "you people" who are "you people"?

ReBurn

Gold Member
They're gonna take the AC route and I would have done the same. They can play with history and time periods at will.
Hopefully it's not just the same game with a different character and it stands well on its own. I really liked the first two AC games but by the third I was like "oh, it's this again." I would hate to see that happen here.

You are actually having this backwards my man.

TLOU1 - the ONLY thing I wanted was for them to retire the characters, never use them again, because they made a perfect narrative and I knew any addition would ruin it. The TLOU2 came out and now I can never play TLOU1 again because it is ruined by part 2.

This way, Ghost of Tsushima will never be ruined.

That seems like a very fair point, Joel was the face of Sony along with Nate for the longest time, until they ruined it, even tho I enjoyed TLOU2.
but I think you should appreciate that this move was to honor Jin, not to exclude him.
Please stop. I don't want him developed into a golf ball.
You're not going to get much growth considering the era since realism is now a criteria.

I honestly have nothing to add to these replies. You're not wrong even though I dont agree fully. Maybe I had hopes at least one studio wouldnt femboss a franchise to death, guess I was wrong. I miss having great trilogies or quads where a hero develops over time. Spider-man would've been great but he got sidelined by selfinsert MJ, Kratos became a massive pussy as well, etc. Does Sony even have a great male protag anymore? I mean one that we can expect in future titles? I guess Wolverine, but chances are he's going to be massively nerfed as well.

Camreezie

Meanwhile the top brass soy boys come out and say they dont have enough IP 😂😂😂 unreal incompetence

Trilobit

I mean if they wanted to I think they could do a lot reusing the assets from Ghost of Tsushima.
Like make a stealth game with expanded stealth gameplay, more complex level design. Instead of open world make it stage based like Hitman or more linear like older Metal Gear and/or Splinter cell.
Or make a more linear combat focused action game, trade the open world for a much higher enemy and weapon variety and setpiece moments.
They could even go crazy (depending on how flexible the engine is) and make something like Kingdom Under Fire where you play as a general or something and it's a mix of strategy and real time combat

Lots of things you can do in feudal Japan and personally I don't give a shit if the assets for stuff like tress, buildings, armors, foliage, character models and animations are recycled from GOT.

I hope we get Unghosted where we follow a Ghost spelunking and searching for ancient Japanese treasures. Wouldn't mind Ghoster-Man either with a hero in a big Japanese city and he has the ability to shoot grappling hooks from his wrists. My favourite would be Ghost of Us, where the MC has to survive in a mysteriously plagueridden Kyoto.

Top Bottom