• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Suicide Squad - Cast Photo (In Costume)

Denton

I don't read comics, I don't know most of these characters, but I absolutely love this cast and their look. Ayer has yet to let me down, so I am starting to get hyped.

Effect

Harley looks like last week's trash. The rest is fine/amazing, but Harley Quinn looks absolutely terrible.

How hard is it to base your designs on this?

BPPnbiG.jpg

Honest question here. How is she suppose to actually move naturally in that? Do stunts? Etc? These are things that get taken into consideration when costumes are made and decided upon. I can imagine that person having a hard time moving around. That's fine for a photo shoot but she likely changes and isn't wearing that for several hours a time and if she is she's not moving far or much.

Violet_0

Banned
I don't like the Harley look
Katana, Enchantress, Killer Corc and El Diablo look ridicules
Slipknot looks like a 3D Gears of War model

fight me

Busty

Banned
Dammit, I forgot that was him

ok there is one disappointment.

But damn I really liked Harsh Times, Street Kings and End of Watch.

.., and Fury. A hugely underrated film in my opinion. I think that the fact it was a WW2 film that starred Brad Pitt so 'soon' after Inglorious Basterds may have out people off.

IIRC there was a weird situation with Sabotage. I think the original director pulled out and Ayer (who had written the original script) stepped in at the last minute to helm the film and 'save' it.

Forkball

I feel like a lot of these guys aren't distinctive enough. Like the interchangable dwarves in the Hobbit trilogy. They have similar themes and color schemes. You've got...

SWAT guy with a gun and a rope (what a great power... HE ROPES YA)
Grungy soccer fan with Bane coat (what a great power... HE BOOMERANGS YA)
Dirty druid
SWAT guy with a gun again
Harley Quinn
Red SWAT guy with a gun (admittedly I like Deadshot as a character)
Crocodile dude who is barely taller than Will Smith wearing black like everyone else
High schooler with face tattoos
Most 80s "Japanese people look like this right?" design of all time

I'm excited to see how the DCCU can change things up, but it's a step down from the great designs in BvS.

Imperial

.., and Fury. A hugely underrated film in my opinion. I think that the fact it was a WW2 film that starred Brad Pitt so 'soon' after Inglorious Basterds may have out people off.

IIRC there was a weird situation with Sabotage. I think the original director pulled out and Ayer (who had written the original script) stepped in at the last minute to helm the film and 'save' it.

I really liked Fury as well. It shows David Ayer can handle a big, action movie

So according to this thread, the cast looks great/cool/average/dissapointing/bad/garbage. Ahhh the joys of personal opinion.

I think everyone should objectively be able to agree the costumes are really cheap.

If you give Killer Croc a one-over and can't understand how amateur that is, I don't know what to tell you other than you do not understand costume design.

Brian Fellows

Pete Carroll Owns Me

It just seemed to incredibly unrealistic and stupid from the previews. A few tankers are going to take on a battalion with one shitty busted Sherman?

Penguin

I think everyone should objectively be able to agree the costumes are really cheap.

If you give Killer Croc a one-over and can't understand how amateur that is, I don't know what to tell you other than you do not understand costume design.

I really like Croc's design...

I feel like a lot of these guys aren't distinctive enough. Like the interchangable dwarves in the Hobbit trilogy. They have similar themes and color schemes. You've got...

SWAT guy with a gun and a rope (what a great power... HE ROPES YA)
Grungy soccer fan with Bane coat (what a great power... HE BOOMERANGS YA)
Dirty druid
SWAT guy with a gun again
Harley Quinn
Red SWAT guy with a gun (admittedly I like Deadshot as a character)
Crocodile dude who is barely taller than Will Smith wearing black like everyone else
High schooler with face tattoos
Most 80s "Japanese people look like this right?" design of all time

I'm excited to see how the DCCU can change things up, but it's a step down from the great designs in BvS.

It's really going to depend on the script.

The Hobbit's dwarves weren't visually indistinguishable--in fact, they each have some pretty great and unique designs. The script is what failed them. None of them got the chance to actually show who their character is and why they are needed/a part of the group.

Given the smaller scope of Suicide Squad, we can only hope it won't encounter the same problems, but it's still a large cast.

Busty

Banned
It just seemed to incredibly unrealistic and stupid from the previews. A few tankers are going to take on a battalion with one shitty busted Sherman?

The action in the film is actually..., wait..., did you actually see the film or are you labelling it 'unrealistic and stupid' from just.., watching the trailer?!

-Plasma Reus-

Service guarantees member status
Fury is an incredible film.
If he can bring that degree of good to suicide squad, then it has high potential to be great.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
It's really going to depend on the script.

The Hobbit's dwarves weren't visually indistinguishable--in fact, they each have some pretty great and unique designs. The script is what failed them. None of them got the chance to actually show who their character is and why they are needed/a part of the group.

Given the smaller scope of Suicide Squad, we can only hope it won't encounter the same problems, but it's still a large cast.
I'm also betting people die in SS, so some of them are meant to be throwaway characters and not really stand out as much.

Nesotenso

I like how Harley looks. Not a big DC guy so don't care how the rest of them look.

I remember watching Assault on Arkham and thinking that it could be translated into a full length feature film.

Loxley

Fury was a pleasant surprise, it actually made me like Logan Lerman and LeBeouf - which I didn't think was possible.

Brian Fellows

Pete Carroll Owns Me
The action in the film is actually..., wait..., did you actually see the film or are you labelling it 'unrealistic and stupid' from just.., watching the trailer?!

I'm saying why I never wanted to see it. I'm making no comment on how the film actually was.

Nah Croc looks good.

A slightly smaller version of the Arkham Origins design. Works well. Plus no cgi and all prosthetics.

Works well in that it displays dangerous, criminal and crocodile (or at the very least reptile)

raphier

Banned
Honest question here. How is she suppose to actually move naturally in that? Do stunts? Etc? These are things that get taken into consideration when costumes are made and decided upon. I can imagine that person having a hard time moving around. That's fine for a photo shoot but she likely changes and isn't wearing that for several hours a time and if she is she's not moving far or much.

Now you're reaching or joking?

munchie64

How much do you know about costume design exactly?

"I don't know how much the rest of you know about costume design (I'm an expert)"

Wonder Woman having tall-ass heels was stupid. For Harley, it fits a lot more with her chosen look (and role, I assume).

I'm not necessarily arguing that. Just hoping that the guy was joking when asking why Harley had heels. It's not like Harley hasn't had a bajillion iterations in the comics with heels.

That being said, I have no problem with the Wonder Woman heels since Gal Godot is going to look super short compared to Batman and Superman without them. Also they don't seem to be full on stilettos and are more wedges, which aren't quite as bad to move about in.

This is supposed to be someone on a covert, top-secret, mission impossible type mission.
facepalm.gif

images

It's not top secret. They use villains because it means they get to place the blame for what's happening on people that the public already expect to be doing these things.

Top Bottom