• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Suicide Squad Review Thread: As Fresh As Green Lantern!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'll repost my thoughts about the movie from another thread:
The movie looks like it was edited by someone with ADHD. The soundtracks from songs ranging from hip hop like Without Me to classic rock like Spirit in the Sky are playing every 5 minutes. I'm not joking. They have some song constantly playing in the background to make up for the lack of an original score. Half of the movie feels like your watching a music video. From the title opener things don't slow down. Your immediately introduced to the Squad and their backstory and it never slows down to take a breather. Things in this movie are happening so fast you might miss details. The pacing is way off. The first 30 - 45 minutes is fast and then the rest of the movie is just the Squad walking down empty streets going to different location to different location.

Deadshot, Harley, Diablo, and Waller are the only characters you will care about. Deadshot and Diablo go through a character arc that has them learning something about themselves in the end. Harley She was ok. Her accent is inconsistent but when she has it she sounds and acts almost close to the animated version. She along with Deadshot provide the majority of comedy relief. Waller is her usual badass self. Viola Davis has that character down to the teeth. Killer Croc, Captain Boomerang, and Enchantress are all wasted. They don't really have much to do and say so little. Croc is straight up a black stereotype with some of his lines. Spoilers for Enchantresses role:
She sucks as the main villain.
Rick Flag is the typical army dude and Katana speaks Japanese and slices people up. That's pretty much their roles. Joker is...............hit and miss. I like that Leto is going for a mobster Joker that is a little easier to understand his motivations but he also tried way too hard with certain lines that end up being overdone.

The plot is weak. Stuff happens cuz the plot demanded it and a lot of times it never makes any sense. The plot is that Waller and Flag fuck up and have to assemble the Squad to clean up. There's a part where the Squad completes a mission, only for something stupid to happen to where they gotta do the mission again. The Joker really doesn't need to be in this movie and his presence feels very crammed in.

I'd say the strong parts are Deadshot, Harley, Waller, and Diablo. There is some funny jokes although not a lot. Characters are sarcastic but because the movie moves at a weird pace your never given time to have the character really get to know each other. But yeah overall it's just, disappointing. It's not terrible. but compared to something like Guardians of the Galaxy it nowhere near get's close to the quality of that movie.

Oh, Slipknot was cool.
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAAAAAAAAAAAAAA YOU STUPID BASTARD.

Froli

but Leto Joker is incredibly cringeworthy. I got the sense that he was just trying too hard to say lines as Joker instead of becoming the character.

It's really that bad?
With all the stunts he pulled on his co-stars, spreading it on social media and news is the most cringeworthy lol

Thirsty dudes gonna carry Suicide Squad to a 200mil + opening in fucking August
I'm trying to think of a good pun title for the box office previews thread I'm gonna make tomorrow morning.

Currently I've got "Suicide Squad Hangs Box Office Records with..." or "Suicide Squad Injects Weak Summer BO with massive..."

I'm trying to think of a good pun title for the box office previews thread I'm gonna make tomorrow morning.

Currently I've got "Suicide Squad Hangs Box Office Records with..." or "Suicide Squad Injects Weak Summer BO with massive..."

Suicide Squad Enchants Audience With Stupid Fucking Dance Scene

Just got home. 8/10. Being a huge Joker fan I leave disappointed so much of his scenes got cut as I loved Jared's Joker. Closest iteration to the GOAT Joker in the Animated Series. Characters were on point. The "Suicide Squad" mission was entertaining. The characters were electric at times and that was awesome.

The movies fault is wanting to introduce an idea but not letting it breathe. You can tell they had 3-4 different ideas for this movie and had to fit them in a 2 hour movie when it should have been 8 episodes on Netflix. Ultimately this was a "Suicide Squad" movie, not a Joker movie, not a Harley movie, not a Batman movie. That's how it should have been marketed so all the Joker, Harley, and Batman stuff would have been the icing on top of a decent cake.

Like I said, it's an 8/10 from me. Hopefully, once again, we get a Ultimate cut as I really want to see all the Joker stuff, I loved the little we got.

vinnygambini

Why are strippers at the U.N. bad when they're great at strip clubs???
We down to 27% now.

Lower than Insurgent

tumblr_niycnhlxJQ1s07ozso3_r1_250.gif

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch
It's really that bad?
With all the stunts he pulled on his co-stars, spreading it on social media and news is the most cringeworthy lol

Its safe to say Harley Quinn, Deadshot and Amanda Waller has better performance than him.

LosDaddie

Banned
Just got home. 8/10. Being a huge Joker fan I leave disappointed so much of his scenes got cut as I loved Jared's Joker. Closest iteration to the GOAT Joker in the Animated Series. Characters were on point. The "Suicide Squad" mission was entertaining. The characters were electric at times and that was awesome.

The movies fault is wanting to introduce an idea but not letting it breathe. You can tell they had 3-4 different ideas for this movie and had to fit them in a 2 hour movie when it should have been 8 episodes on Netflix. Ultimately this was a "Suicide Squad" movie, not a Joker movie, not a Harley movie, not a Batman movie. That's how it should have been marketed so all the Joker, Harley, and Batman stuff would have been the icing on top of a decent cake.

Like I said, it's an 8/10 from me. Hopefully, once again, we get a Ultimate cut as I really want to see all the Joker stuff, I loved the little we got.

Did you also say that you were incredibly hyped for the movie? Buying clothes and preordering Hot Toys & all?

What do you think your review might've been without all that hype?

btw I'm of the opinion that like 95% of the crazy shit they said they've done in interviews is bullshit

The only thing I am sure of is that Viola Davis probably wants to give Jared Leto the ol' two piece and a biscuit combo to the face

Exis

I thought the movie was quite entertaining, best DC movie since the Nolan films. I can name a half dozen marvel movies that I liked less.

It's not deep but really no summer movie is. Still a hell of a lot better than BvsS

Gorillaz

I just need to know is it true that
deadshot v batman scene
was one of the few highlights. Because reviewers mentioned they had a good scene

Effect

I just need to know is it true that
deadshot v batman scene
was one of the few highlights. Because reviewers mentioned they had a good scene

I don't agree there are only a few highlights in the film but out of all the scenes I'd rank it near the top. It was really good and got a pretty good reaction out of the crowd.

Did you also say that you were incredibly hyped for the movie? Buying clothes and preordering Hot Toys & all?

What do you think your review might've been without all that hype?

That is my review though. I was hyped for the movie. Sure I wanted a 10/10 but the movie ain't that. It was a 8/10 comic book movie from me. I didn't go in starting at 10 and marked it down, I started at 0. I remember was telling myself it was a 7 at one time, then it raised, and at one point I was like 8.7, " and then if this happens and they do things like this, it will be a 9". But it never did and the lack of Joker disappointed me and dropped that 8.7 down to the 8. My biggest fault of the movie is how they marketed it.

This movie is PG-13. I would advise parents not to take their children to see this. This movie felt Rated-R every time Joker and Harley were on screen.

k so I have important questions before I see the movie

1: At any point in the film does Deadshot start trying to raffle off some of his body parts to the less fortunate
2: Does Harley ever get rescued by a dapper young gentleman with logic-defying abdominal muscles
3: Was the failure of Pan really Cara Delevingne's fault
4: Is Chris Tucker and/or Jackie Chan in this movie

Vire

That is my review though. I was hyped for the movie. Sure I wanted a 10/10 but the movie ain't that. It was a 8/10 comic book movie from me. I didn't go in starting at 10 and marked it down, I started at 0. I remember was telling myself it was a 7 at one time, then it raised, and at one point I was like 8.7, " and then if this happens and they do things like this, it will be a 9". But it never did and the lack of Joker disappointed me and dropped that 8.7 down to the 8. My biggest fault of the movie is how they marketed it.
What the hell is an 8.7... Like how do you so arbitrarily pick that number.

yall funny.

k so I have important questions before I see the movie

1: At any point in the film does Deadshot start trying to raffle off some of his body parts to the less fortunate
2: Does Harley ever get rescued by a dapper young gentleman with logic-defying abdominal muscles
3: Was the failure of Pan really Cara Delevingne's fault
4: Is Chris Tucker and/or Jackie Chan in this movie
1: No. Will Smith gotta eat with both arms.
2: Bizarro shows up and does the no flex zone.
3: Hugh Jackman's sexiness might have contributed to Pan's failure.
4: You think Katana looks like every asian and black person? That's racist dude.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom