• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Suicide Squad Review Thread: As Fresh As Green Lantern!

Status
Not open for further replies.
What the hell is an 8.7... Like how do you so arbitrarily pick that number.

yall funny.

Well.

8.7 <-- Highest peak of the movie for me

Never reached 9 status.

Think of MPG in a car. Going up a hill, you are getting 10 MPG but going down the hill your getting 99+ MPG. The car doesn't get 10 MPG all the time and it doesn't get 99 MPG all the time but at certain points it does. So at one time, SS hit 8.7.

then exactly are you gauging WOM outside NeoGAF without concrete numbers like second week drops

Going to other forums and reading their impressions?
I'm not, I'm just saying, you can't really ask where people are getting information from while only looking at two pages of a gaf thread. Kinda silly don't you think? The reactions here could be equally as hyperbolic as those from outside in either direction.

Vire

Well.

8.7 <-- Highest peak of the movie for me

Never reached 9 status.

Think of MPG in a car. Going up a hill, you are getting 10 MPG but going down the hill your getting 99+ MPG. The car doesn't get 10 MPG all the time and it doesn't get 99 MPG all the time but at certain points it does. So at one time, SS hit 8.7.
I just don't understand how you can equate "art" in such terms. "Oh well, that one line was really funny so I'll bump it from an 8.6 to an 8.7"

Just seems like an incredibly bizarre way to look at things. But hey, glad to hear some people didn't absolutely hate this film as I being forced to watch it this weekend with a friend.

Epcott

Yes I'm sure they are very upset.

Budget $250 million
Box office $872.7 million

They expected much more than $872.7 million, with two of their biggest comic book francises going head to head... Hence the DCU reshuffle and rumored editing/meddling.

Zombine

Banned
Well I mean, 20% seems super low to me because Thor has a 77% on Rotten tomatoes and both of these movies have
Destroyer
in it so it's at least a 70%.

TheWraith

Budget $250 million

Which is very very disappointing for the two biggest comicbook hero properties, they easily were expecting 1 billion+ . Also, as pointed out you didn't factor marketing costs and net returns. The movie probably just broke even.

Compare their failure with Deadpool, basically an unknown property for the general audience, and you can see how big their failure is. WW Box Office for Deadpool was almost as high as B v S:

Budget: 58 million USD
Box office: 760.3 million USD

It gets even more painful when you look at NA BO: $330.4 for BvS, to Deadpool $363.1, which grossed higher! Must hurt for DC/WB.

RSTEIN

Comics, serious business!

Budget $250 million

That's the production budget. Real budget is probably around 500 million, maybe more. 872 is box office revenue, not net to the studio.

Nolan manage to get 1 billion with two Batman flicks without Superman. Plus the other was had a unfortunate tragic event and almost 3hr long.

BvS should've beaten those by far

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops
Enchantress' VFX were great, she was genuinely scary looking, she'd make a great horror film monster.

Budget $250 million

It didn't flop but they sure as hell are upset with how it performed.

jett

D-Member
Lower than Insurgent

tumblr_niycnhlxJQ1s07ozso3_r1_250.gif

Sub-Detergent levels? Damn.

LosDaddie

Banned
That is my review though. I was hyped for the movie. Sure I wanted a 10/10 but the movie ain't that. It was a 8/10 comic book movie from me. I didn't go in starting at 10 and marked it down, I started at 0. I remember was telling myself it was a 7 at one time, then it raised, and at one point I was like 8.7, " and then if this happens and they do things like this, it will be a 9". But it never did and the lack of Joker disappointed me and dropped that 8.7 down to the 8. My biggest fault of the movie is how they marketed it.

Well of course it's your opinion. I was just curious to see if you thought your opinion would be a bit different if you hadnt already committed hundreds of dollars to (high end) movie merchandise before seeing said movie.

I sometimes have trouble keeping my own personal hype & biases in check when watching these movies.

Yeah, this is a bad movie. I'm actually surprised at how bad it was. I was going in expecting to enjoy it and like it more than most others, but nope! Margot Robbie is good, though.

Bizazedo

Saw it. Wasn't bad. Dare I say, fun.

Definitely had plotholes and I wasn't enamored with the save the world ending in their first bow, but it was fine.

Better than Ghostbusters.

Vastly better than BvS.

Fury451

Banned
Whoops wrong thread

In short, it wasn't a dumpster fire, but massively disappointing and full of missed potential and terrible editing with bland action and terrible plot full of holes.

Joker is just awful.

LosDaddie

Banned
Nolan manage to get 1 billion with two Batman flicks without Superman. Plus the other was had a unfortunate tragic event and almost 3hr long.

BvS should've beaten those by far

There is no doubt.

I imagine $1B was the absolute floor WB thought BvS would do. Coming up $100M short of that has them in panic mode.

I wasn't the biggest fan of Assault on Arkham, but it sounds like this movie would have been better if they just took that concept and made it live action.

BLACKLAC

You say this but I'm convinced Civil War didn't reach Avengers money because BvS sucked so much

It played a factor (as did Fant4shit) but a bigger factor is this year as a whole has ended up stunted at the box-office, especially compared to last year. Hindsight is 20/20 and Civil War's 1.15B looks a whole lot more impressive this year looking back. There are other factors to of course.

So... is it me or /r/DC_Cinematic dislikes this movie more than Gaf?
It played a factor (as did Fant4shit) but a bigger factor is this year as a whole has ended up stunted at the box-office, especially compared to last year. Hindsight is 20/20 and Civil War's 1.15B looks a whole lot more impressive this year. There are other factors to of course.

I don't see how FF played much of a factor, everyone knew it wasn't Marvel and that was why it sold so badly
BvS and Civil War had similar themes and released very closely, so close that BvS was extremely fresh on everyone's mind, and seeing as BvS covered the theme very badly I see this affecting Civil War significantly

you know that clip of Harley/Joker in the car while Batman's chasing them?

i really, really, really don't like Leto's Joker laugh, it's so bad

Harley's pudding doesn't have that nice accented ring to it either :(

Bad_Boy

time to take my meds
I might be jaded by day one night release, but 27% is way too low. I'd give this movie a solid B-/C+. I had fun.

Quick question about bats

he wasn't wearing his voice modulator was he. I'm trying to remember back to the scene and in my head I remember him just sounding like himself

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom