• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Suicide Squad Review Thread: As Fresh As Green Lantern!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wow. I never heard of him but Jeremy Jahns is a kick ass reviewer. Succinct, eloquent, clear, backs up his premises, views a movie on its own merits as close to a vacuum as possible. Subscribed immediately.

ZoddGutts

I almost missed you post, this thread moves too fast!
I know they weren't that positive on it but they all gave it a good score aside from Mark I think. Schnepp gave it a 6 or 6.5 and the other guys were in the 7-8 range. I really like the Collider team but they are stuck in game reviewer mode where they almost never give a score below 5 no matter how much they dislike a movie.
Not that a score matters that much but it always drives me nuts at the end of their reviews when it clearly doesn't matches what they said!

That's always been my problem with them. Feels like their holding back and sometimes makes excuses for the film rather than going in hard. Schnepp is the only one that tends to speak his mind and not be worried of stepping on anyone's shoes.

Why? Don't they just collect reviews from different critics? it is not their fault if a movie is shit or unpopular.
They're either clearly in cahoots with Marvel or the aggregator algorithm is not properly configured for finely crafted cerebral movies like BvS and SS. Either way we should tear these old edifices down, these decaying institutions that seek to encase everything with numbers and scores. Childish concepts borne out of petty minds.

Well this thread has been a depressing rollercoaster.
I was excited to see this movie too...

I guess I'll wait for Korey and Martin's opinions.

watership

I wish I could say i'm surprised, but when the first advertising campaign was completely dumped and the incredible 2nd campaign kicked in, there were hints that word of mouth from early screenings would kill the movie.

They just screened it a week before, unlike say "Civil War" which was screened a month before release to critics.

Ridley327

Yup. I am sad that Wes Anderson is going back to animation for his next film. I liked The Fantastic Mr Fox, but I would greatly prefer a live action film given the time he takes to complete a project.

He's been, what, averaging a film about every 2.5 years now? He's not exactly Speedy Gonzalez, but it's a pretty steady clip for how top notch those productions are, especially on the budgets he usually gets. For the cast he pulled and all the amazing production design, it's kind of insane that TGBH cost ~$30 million.

VAD

It was not a great movie nor an absolutely terrible one, it was just watchable. I'm disappointed I expected far better. They really should have spend less money on music licenses and more on an actual script. This movie killed all hopes I had for the DCCU and I did not find BvS as terrible as everyone think.

Damn, what does DC need to do to take a W instead of Ls.
I honestly think Wonder Woman is going to be good. Some people have said her scenes (fight scenes, not dialogue) were the highlight of that BvS fight, so I think she's going to do good. She's probably going to be criticized by her acting (rightfully so if previous movies are an indication) but from what I've seen the movie feels solid. I'll be honest here: I never liked any of the Suicide Squad footage I watched, and only the first trailer made me think they were going to pull it off.

jorgejjvr

Anderson has a boner for stop motion so I imagine he's going back to that after the success of The Grand Budapest. Stop motion fits his controlling nature as well.

Where is my Wes Anderson superhero movie?

vaderise

Jeremy Jahns liked it a lot. He's less a critic and more a fanboy so his opinion won't matter to many people but it matters to me!

Cap 1 was only lacking because they threw in way too many montages. Montages FOR montages

I know I'm way behind in this thread, but... have you seen Cap 1? There's one montage and it's about 2-3 minutes long. Problem with it is that it just kind of kills the momentum of the film. It never picks up again after that.

jorgejjvr

Jeremy Jahns liked it a lot. He's less a critic and more a fanboy so his opinion won't matter to many people but it matters to me!

he thought b v s was 'okay'. Mostly disliked it but wasnt 'horrible'. And i agree with him, so im really surprised with his review.

I think ill like it too

Looking forward for Chris Stuckmann review as well

Ridley327

Anderson has a boner for stop motion so I imagine he's going back to that after the success of The Grand Budapest. Stop motion fits his controlling nature as well.

Where is my Wes Anderson superhero movie?

Does Ash donning a mask and cape towards the end of Fantastic Mr. Fox count?

tomtom94

If this reception holds, which it seems to be doing... I would give so much money to see the executives' notes prior to the reshoots.

jmood88

So.

19 critics rated it fresh
35 didn't like it and it is only Tuesday.

Why are we all making these definitive statements about product based on other people's OPINIONS professionally paid critics or otherwise? How about you read a review and then get background on said reviewers to see if your tastes and preferences historically even align.

Watch a movie through to the end and get introspective for a moment and find your own thoughts on something.

This is why I think aggregates are a sticky wicket. Helpful for a quick glance on a Friday when you have nothing to do but if you go by aggregates you are not developing at all as a film viewer.
I don't know why people come into review threads and say stuff like this as if it it's profound.

vaderise

he thought b v s was 'okay'. Mostly disliked it but wasnt 'horrible'. And i agree with him, so im really surprised with his review.

I think ill like it too

Looking forward for Chris Stuckmann review as well

Stuckmann too wasn't savage against BvS. I think he'll give this a decent score.

Papacheeks

Banned
Number 2 from 2014, Whiplash. Damien Chazelle was not a big name director. I'm not even sure what point you are trying to make anymore.

I bet he's never seen Birdman with Director Alejandro G. Iñárritu. Both were to me the best movies of 2014. Whiplash was amazing, J.K. Simmons showed his range so well.

I bet he's never seen Birdman with Director Alejandro G. Iñárritu. Both were to me the best movies of 2014. Whiplash was amazing, J.K. Simmons showed his range so well.

I have seen Birdman. Wasn't a fan. Self-important, relied on a gimmick, pretty vacuous.

But each to his own.

ezekial45

Banned
Two stinkers in a row. DC isn't going to get the benefit of the doubt anymore. It's a shame, WW might end up unfairly taking hit regardless of its quality due to SS and BvS.

Will Smith should have done Independence Day instead.
No, no, no.

ID2 had a ton of problems, and adding Will Smith would not have helped it at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom