• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Suicide Squad Review Thread: As Fresh As Green Lantern!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I thought you guys were joking but holy shit, every site running a negative review is getting blasted in their comments and on Facebook about how the film is too smart or made for comic fans or the critics are biased/paid off

I had no idea there were this many delusional people

Kickz

OMG at Jeremy Jahns review... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FKaLy54AbWs

Well hype is being restored

PCSqVzW.gif

I thought you guys were joking but holy shit, every site running a negative review is getting blasted in their comments and on Facebook about how the film is too smart or made for comic fans or the critics are biased/paid off

There aren't it's more the Internet making a stupid joke and calling it "trolling" like always

I have a feeling that Ms Davis has worked with more difficult characters than Leto during her career and not gotten paid as handsomely as she was on this.

I just think it's odd that this critical reception has lead to people almost suggesting that this film should be reverse engineered out of existence.

If it is terrible who cares?! I didn't pay for the fucking thing. My only expectation is paying to see it at the cinema. And given that it's a David Ayer film I would have done that anyway.

I mean, I didn't say any of that, so I'm unsure what it has to do with my comment.

I'm going to see it. But at Comic-Con, she was looking rough whenever Leto was involved, so I was hoping this was going to be great.

That it's coming in just okay makes me feel for her. Yes, she got paid, but she could've gotten paid elsewhere just as well. My statement was about that, nothing more, nothing less.

For the people bashing Rotten Tomatoes and review aggregates, even Roger Ebert followed a movie's reception on Rotten Tomatoes and he was often on the wrong side of that, but he never tried to suggest it was valueless. It is what it is, a snapshot of the reception a movie is getting critically, particularly the average score of 5.4/10.

A superhero movie called Suicide Squad written and directed by David Ayer that features a walking crocodile dude, an Austrailian stereotype, a man who specializes in rope, 2 crazy clown people, and Will Smith being called "too smart for critics" kills me.

A superhero movie called Suicide Squad written and directed by David Ayer that features a walking crocodile dude, an Austrailian stereotype, a man who specializes in rope, 2 crazy clown people, and Will Smith being called "too smart for critics" kills me.
I also wanna point out that the walking Crocodile started as a sentient Great White Shark

Ithil

So.

19 critics rated it fresh
35 didn't like it and it is only Tuesday.

Why are we all making these definitive statements about product based on other people's OPINIONS professionally paid critics or otherwise? How about you read a review and then get background on said reviewers to see if your tastes and preferences historically even align.

Watch a movie through to the end and get introspective for a moment and find your own thoughts on something.

This is why I think aggregates are a sticky wicket. Helpful for a quick glance on a Friday when you have nothing to do but if you go by aggregates you are not developing at all as a film viewer.

Take a look at the average rating.

BumRush

Yup. I am sad that Wes Anderson is going back to animation for his next film. I liked The Fantastic Mr Fox, but I would greatly prefer a live action film given the time he takes to complete a project.

Fantastic Mr Fox was just soooo well done though. I'm onboard with more animation from Wes.

Corpsepyre

Banned
Really annoyed by the way some of these popular youtubers edit their videos. Is it really that hard to just sit and talk about the movie for 6 minutes?

Stuckmann and Schmoes do that. Jahns has always been a little.....weird, quippy, quick and what not, in his reviews.

It almost makes me wonder, should they just re-re-re-reboot everything? Just write Batfleck as the first step to actually make something competent instead of rushing out something like BvS just to cash in on the Cinematic Universe craze?

I like how one Youtube talking head gushes about the movie and people immediately get hyped despite the myriad of reviews saying the movie isn't that hot...

If this is anything like the BvS situation, 30% is way off base since that one was like a 50-60 at worst. I probably won't go see it in the theatre now, but I won't be surprised if it's fine when I watch it later.

andthebeatgoeson

No, no, no.

ID2 had a ton of problems, and adding Will Smith would not have helped it at all.

ID2 was terrible. Maybe the first was terrible, difficult to see in 1996 but Will avoided a mess. And it would have been blamed on him. I initially thought Will took the L but he actually did himself a service not being in ID2.

J

JeremyEtcetera

Unconfirmed Member
Will Smith, did you make Jaden your agent? You had hit after hit but After Earth must have taken something out of you.

tumblr_mt5y9lNKqm1r3t2two1_500.jpg

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that

And 2016 becomes the year where comic book movie reviews are as subject to mass overreactions as video game reviews.

Most of them haven't even seen the movie. Why are you defending something you don't even know if you'll like?! They're some nuts out there.

I'm not saying people should cancel their tickets or anything, but why harass critics who are doing their job? It's so fucking weird.

harSon

Banned
If this is anything like the BvS situation, 30% is way off base since that one was like a 50-60 at worst. I probably won't go see it in the theatre now, but I won't be surprised if it's fine when I watch it later.

Naw, the theatrical version of BvS was deserving of its aggregate reviews. The director's cut, while still significantly flawed, is probably closer to the 50% range.

Dalek

It almost makes me wonder, should they just re-re-re-reboot everything? Just write Batfleck as the first step to actually make something competent instead of rushing out something like BvS just to cash in on the Cinematic Universe craze?

I mean...I am all in favor of it. This would be my dream connected universe, if done correctly. At this point though, they seem to be all in, no matter what.

Naw, the theatrical version of BvS was deserving of its aggregate reviews. The director's cut, while still significantly flawed, is probably closer to the 50% range.

image.php

God damn dude, your avatar just made me laugh out loud.

Well the average score is 5.4 out of 10, which is right in line with your expectations. That's the score that gives you the most info about how the movie's being received.

Kickz

BvS minus Lois and Lex/Essienberg would've probably been 70%

Kickz

I like Jeremy but dude is always over the top with hyping up a movie. The few times he doesn't overhype a movie or hates it is when everyone else on the internet does too. It's hard to explain but I"ve seen his stuff alot over the years.

this is nothing against SS which could be good. He's like this always and it's something I noticed

Well he didn't like BvS, so he seems pretty accurate

Despite me not being big on superhero movies, the DCCU, or Affleck as a director, I would be really sad to not see the Batfleck movie happen. Let us at least get to that movie before you scrap this whole thing.

-griffy-

Banned

People still not understanding how Rotten Tomatoes works in review threads.

Tomorrow, Nolan is going to find a cartoon style sack of money on his front porch with a crudely scrawled "PLEASE" on a DC-branded letterhead

It stuns me that DC and WB have gone from Nolan's TDK trilogy to shoddy me-toos this quickly.

Yeah. Who knew going away from using TAS as a guideline (bordering on benevolent plagiarism) and letting directors do whatever would make movies potentially terrible?
Though if they had just made The Dark Returns or The Death of Superman after Man of Steel that would at least worked. But they didn't, and this is what you get.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
It stuns me that DC and WB have gone from Nolan's TDK trilogy to shoddy me-toos this quickly.

I'm pretty sure the bolded is the major difference between then and now.

Jmood

I hardly was saying it like it was profound. I came into a review thread to join a conversation and get feedback from peeps who actually saw the movie.

My comment was on aggregates. Grow up.

kaister

Yea saw an advance screening for this.

Yea...

I'll say this. I like this more than Batman v Superman. It's at least more enjoyable. There's always something off with the pacing and story of these recent DC films. I don't think it's bad but it's not great either.

My advice, similar to BvS and if you can take the good of that film and ignore its flaws...I think you'll be fine with Suicide Squad. To me, it's a solid 6/10. If you decide to pick it apart, you'll never enjoy this film.

I mean I enjoy it, I think any comic book movie fans or DC fans should check it out. Expect a fun enjoyable movie and don't expect a masterpiece.

Dalek

Tomorrow, Nolan is going to find a cartoon style sack of money on his front porch with a crudely scrawled "PLEASE" on a DC-branded letterhead

Can someone fill me in on this-WB wanted Nolan to tie his movies into a cinematic universe right? He just didn't want to?

How much creative input did he have with Man of Steel?

HowZatOZ

Banned
I like how one Youtube talking head gushes about the movie and people immediately get hyped despite the myriad of reviews saying the movie isn't that hot...
Can kind of say the opposite, in that people are rising t bash the film because its getting a crazy tomatoes score. People will just decide with their wallet if they want to see the movie or not, even with the reviews.

Jmood

I hardly was saying it like it was profound. I came into a review thread to join a conversation and get feedback from peeps who actually saw the movie.

My comment was on aggregates. Grow up.

You comment misses the entire point of an aggregate.

All it's doing is showing that critical consensus sways one way or another. That's it. That's literally all they do.

People still not understanding how Rotten Tomatoes works in review threads.
I do know. It's pass/fail and if it's below a score threshold it's rotten even if the score itself wasn't that low. It still doesn't invalidate that BvS was more like a "60 percenter (give or take X percent)" and I'm betting this one is in the same boat. It really sucks because it makes a movie look worse than it actually is.

It sucks for me as a moviegoer because now I can't remotely tell if it's literal dogshit or if the reviewers are on crack or if it got the short end stick identically to the last DC film, which in itself even seems unlikely, but whatever.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom