• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer 2012 Anime |OT| Goddesses, canines, and killer MMOs!

Status
Not open for further replies.
OMINOUS LATIN CHORUS
OMINOUS LATIN CHORUS

Hitokage (dun dun dun dun dun dun dun dun dun)

oAgq2.jpg

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
Well that and I always thought you were a handsome looking asian man.
Of course, if you were more oldschool you might remember this:

room4_zpsb708beeb.jpeg

...or if you were TRULY oldschool, you'd remember my old encrypted text avatar from Sneakers.

...and if you were OG, you might remember various Sailor Mercury related avs.

Theonik

Do you realise this is gonna go straight into SOS?
HITOHITOHITOHITOHITO
HITOKAGE
THE BANHAMMER

OMINOUS LATIN CHORUS
OMINOUS LATIN CHORUS

qui secreti fabulorum revelus
in infernas umbras iaciebitur
HITOKAGE

he who reveals the secrets of stories shall be thrown into the shadows of the underworld
I like it! I even thought of a theme to go with it but i can neither be arsed to make record it and just humming it on a mic would be silly. haha

Taruranto

That's fucking creepy.

Pretty easily. Humor on the show is a lot funnier when it's in the background of a student council meeting than when it gets its own episode. I think this is why humor works a lot better in MPD, where it never ever takes central stage.

The more you press it the more you force me to be negative about SKU, and that's not nice, man. ;'(

Just accept Nanami as your new goddess!

aZW4ol.jpg

Also, K-on is occasionally funny, but mostly, its just cute slice of life. Its yummy dessert cakes and ice cream anime. Its feelgood stuff, like junkfood. theres nothing wrong with junkfood in moderation. Im not claiming its a masterpiece, just that its FUN and I would like to remind people that the point of entertainment is to have fun and be entertained. SOme of us like to be entertained with little chipmunk girls doing silly things . Nothing has to happen. There need not be any plot. Life doesnt have a plot either, it just happens. enjoy the ride yo.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JHVqxD8PNq8
Nothing happens in the world? Are you out of your fucking mind? People are murdered every day. There's genocide, war, corruption. Every fucking day, somewhere in the world, somebody sacrifices his life to save someone else. Every fucking day, someone, somewhere makes a conscious decision to destroy someone else. People find love, people lose it. For Christ's sake, a child watches her mother beaten to death on the steps of a church. Someone goes hungry. Somebody else betrays his best friend for a woman. If you can't find that stuff in life, then you, my friend, don't know crap about life.

Joule

Took a bit of time to check this one out earlier. It's a pretty good show.

The fairly simple premise (wanting to sing/make a successful choir club as the medium toward that goal) is well bolstered by the main cast. They're not just one off tropes (I suppose Wien comes close to the wacky foreigner trope) but actually have a good semblance of character to them. There are some characters I don't particularly care for such as the school principle but beyond that I'm finding that I like much of the cast. Konatsu and Sawa, Wakana and Takai the pregnant teacher, Wein and Tanaka, Konatsu and her brother... there's quite a few combinations that lead to fun character interaction, it increased even more so when the cast comes together as the new choir club. The way each main character was introduced in the first episode was quite well done I thought. It actually showed who these people are instead of being a exposition piece about who they are.

On a visual level the show does look quite similar to PA Work's Hanasaku Iroha and that's not a bad thing. I liked how Iroha looked and I also like how this show looks. I haven't seen anything here that compares to Iroha's first episode or at least anything that pops out to me like that did. It might have to do with there not being any scenes that really make use of interesting lighting. The backgrounds I think look about good but I haven't gone back to compare the two. The character designs are pretty nice and distinguishable on a whole. Every has their own clothing choices and outfits they wear throughout their school day and otherwise. Even their school uniforms all have some component that separates them from the others. I suppose one could say this is to counteract the lol same faces they have.

Tari Tari has actually featured a fair amount of musical scenes throughout these three episodes I've seen. That's good! At least one per episode. I can only hope it continues this trend. While the important part of the show probably still lies in the character interactions/revelations and singing is only the medium toward that, I'd still like to see them use this choir premise more.

Now to take a little time to get into a few scenes:
2VUz4.jpg
2r0vN.jpg

These little scenes from the main characters' pasts are a nice addition to open the episodes with while showing a bit of who these people were as children. In particular to Wakana, it's what is affecting her the most in the present. Meanwhile I thought Tanaka's added very little to his character.

LsJtK.jpg
c1MBI.jpg

The large amounts of greenery make for some nice backgrounds and I really like some of the cityscape shots.

On episode 3, I was wondering why those swag old men and Wakana's Spanish speaking pursuer looked familiar. It's because they're the Condor Queen's on Konatsu's poster in the OP:

I also like how the ED is slowing adding in the voices of the choir club as they join in. The little things that don't really matter but are nice anyway.

--------
So yeah, the show is delightful to watch. While there are some small parts to the show that are a little off putting (the sort of dumb drama with the vice principle but the OP alludes to why that is) the whole package is still fun. There's even a headphone girl. If only Natsuiro Kiseki could have been something more like this.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom