• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer 2014 Anime |OT| this thread has been outsourced to Toei Phils

Status
Not open for further replies.
I need some advice on the following Anime I am looking into watching:

-Hajime No Ippo
-Noragami
-Sword Art Online
-Kuroko No Basket
-Psycho Pass

Thoughts?

Psycho Pass was really enjoyable. Especially if you like futuristic sci-fi that makes you think. Sword Art online, I liked to a degree. Just stop after episode 14. Log Horizon is a better alternative to Sword Art, though.

cajunator

Banned
Psycho Pass was really enjoyable. Especially if you like futuristic sci-fi that makes you think. Sword Art online, I liked to a degree. Just stop after episode 14. Log Horizon is a better alternative to Sword Art, though.

Yes. Substitute Log Horizon for Sword Art Online.

Baccano! - 13 END

This was a great show Woofington. I'm glad you chose this for the watchbet.

While the stories were not really interconnected as much I hoped they'd be, they each had a good structure of their own, with a satisfying conclusion for each of them. With the whole immortality aspect affecting all three arcs in their own way. And honestly, I really wasn't expecting the happily ever after ending. Oh well, it was satisfying enough for me.

At least now I know what happened to Dallas. Lol, the opening was actually giving it away the whole time.

All right, the OVAs are next. Then I'll wait a bit before I start GTO.

Busaiku

I really liked episode 14 - 16 when I first saw them, cause it was still relatively close to the original airing and I was absolutely in love with the show back then.
But I just rewatched it a couple months ago, and the first 13 episodes are still great, but man those last 3 really do stand out (not in a good way) now.

StormKing

Mahouka Koukou no Rettousei - Yoku Wakaru Mahouka 1 - 3

These little shorts were quite good. They provided a lot of basic information in a relaxed manner. I wonder why Madhouse didn't put stuff like this in the anime.

Quasar

Well thats weird. Browsing around the Google Play Store for anime to see what their range is like now I found many cases where it was cheaper to buy by the episode than by the season. Thats the reverse of what I'd expect.

Blusby

I need some advice on the following Anime I am looking into watching:

-Hajime No Ippo
-Noragami
-Sword Art Online
-Kuroko No Basket
-Psycho Pass

Thoughts?

Hajime No Ippo I haven't seen but a few of my pals love it.
Noragami is decent, nothing too special but it's well animated.
Sword Art Online is terrible.
Kuroko no Basket is another series my anime watching friends rave about.
Psycho-Pass is good, definitely worth watching.

EDIT: Just read the news article here stating Crunchyroll picked up the simulcast for Barakamon. Just missed the news while driving home.

EDIT 2: Apparently it's only for Europe (excluding UK and Ireland), the Middle East, and North Africa. Guess I will go back to waiting for more panel announcements tomorrow.

Phi Brain S3 18

Nice little back story for Nonoha, and a motivation episode to have the cast get ready to battle Orpheus. Hopefully we get back to some puzzle solving action soon

Future Card Buddyfight Episode 26 (engDub)
BrvawY_CcAABPQ-.png

That tongue was pretty creepy with how it was used to charge and draw. Boring duel overall just for Genma is just not that interesting and just way too loud.

My bet's on Funi having Barakamon.

After I finally realized I need to read things before posting, that's what I am going with too. Seems if Crunchyroll gets a simulcast that excludes North America, FUNimation has the license. Hopefully they get streaming and home videos rights from the get go instead of waiting though.

Jarmel

Banned
-KLK took 5 years from start to finish, started after TTGL movies. I have no clue how long this damn show took. I've heard 3 and now I'm hearing 5.
-Names in KLK come from a lot of old proverbs
-Final episode finished several hours before airtime
-Mako VA acts like Mako, Koshimizu claims she's slightly annoying. Would wipe her nose on her pants or bother the manager of a restaurant, stuff Mako would do.
-Elite 4 VAs would encourages Yuzuki, especially Nonon
-Koshimizu is most gangster out of everybody. Nakashima said she was scary when she auditioned. Nakashima trolled the shit out of her multiple times.
-Went out drinking a lot, Yuzuki doesn't drink. Elite 4 would make a wall around her when they went out.
-Yuzuki is higher pitched in real life and much shorter than Koshimizu

-Sushio did a live drawing at the event.
Ensemble drawing. Didn't see much of him actually drawing in that Animazement did a much better job with a similar thing.
-Eir Aoi did a cover of Ambiguous by Garnidelia. That was a pretty rare to see a a cover of the full song like that. She didn't do as good a job as Maria though.
-VAs said some lines from the first episode, Yuzuki gave Satsuki's big speech.

As for dub impressions, everything was fine except for Mako who is too high pitched and the two star boxing guy in that he cracks a bit.

Oh and these hosts are cheesy as fuck.

Hajime No Ippo I haven't seen but a few of my pals love it.
Noragami is decent, nothing too special but it's well animated.
Sword Art Online is terrible.
Kuroko no Basket is another series my anime watching friends rave about.
Psycho-Pass is good, definitely worth watching.

Noragami's better than psycho pass I tell ya hwhat

cajunator

Banned
Sentai licensed it, and that means Crunchyroll is going to stream it, I can say this with certainty.

There does seem to be a correlation between Sentai licensing something new and CR getting it. Sometimes Sentai licenses random stuff like Akikan though.

Phi Brain 19

Elena had her tsundere moment with Gammon, but no kissu made me a sad panda >:[

The puzzle was cool and Gammon now has the eye power that the other main phi brain have. A pretty good episode even if it did star Gammon

Thoraxes

-KLK took 5 years from start to finish, started after TTGL movies. I have no clue how long this damn show took. I've heard 3 and now I'm hearing 5.
-Names in KLK come from a lot of old proverbs
-Final episode finished several hours before airtime
-Mako VA acts like Mako, Koshimizu claims she's slightly annoying. Would wipe her nose on her pants or bother the manager of a restaurant, stuff Mako would do.
-Elite 4 VAs would encourages Yuzuki, especially Nonon
-Koshimizu is most gangster out of everybody. Nakashima said she was scary when she auditioned. Nakashima trolled the shit out of her multiple times.
-Went out drinking a lot, Yuzuki doesn't drink. Elite 4 would make a wall around her when they went out.
-Yuzuki is higher pitched in real life and much shorter than Koshimizu

-Sushio did a live drawing at the event.
Ensemble drawing. Didn't see much of him actually drawing in that Animazement did a much better job with a similar thing.
-Eir Aoi did a cover of Ambiguous by Garnidelia. That was a pretty rare to see a a cover of the full song like that. She didn't do as good a job as Maria though.
-VAs said some lines from the first episode, Yuzuki gave Satsuki's big speech.

As for dub impressions, everything was fine except for Mako who is too high pitched and the two star boxing guy in that he cracks a bit.

Oh and these hosts are cheesy as fuck.
Awesome!

Welp, SAO 2 premiere had hit max capacity. Time to find something else to do

Edit: kinda funny watching this press member attempting to beg his way in tho

Midonin

Sometimes Sentai licenses random stuff like Akikan though.
I liked Akikan.

Momo, the Girl God of Death 04-06 + Final Thoughts

Some quick Wikipedia-ing revealed that episode 4 and 6 were anime original. Though to one who's never read the source novels, as long as the episodes are consistent in tone and theme with the source material surrounding them, one will never know. Episode 4's theme of responsibility and not growing up too fast was a heartwarming one, and episode 6 being the anime version of It's a Wonderful Life was a good way to end things. After so many episodes where Momo was visiting someone whose loved one had already passed on, having the one who was passing on being the person she visited gave the most insight onto the grief of those around.

For episode 5, though it thematically felt similar to episode 2, I liked how they brought back Kouta, now having had time to fully take in Mai's death and what it means to see the reapers, and had his development assist Eko's. That one brief moment of overlapping stories.

This is the kind of show that leaves one with some lingering sadness, but there's ultimately a message of hope to be found in it. The question was posed in episode 5 if Momo was an angel, and aside from her scythe, she honestly could be. Don't fear the reaper, the story says. It's a charming little show, and I have this Ogiue Maniax post to thank for cluing me into its existence. Nice little hidden gem.

After Supercon, then I'll get started on Gundam Build Fighters.

Ryuuroden

I agree with all of that except the new arc in SAO II has nothing to do with the 2nd part of SAO season 1. I mean if you hate Kirito then fine don't watch it but his shit sister and Asuna are hardly in the LN during this arc. The arc mainly is flashbacks to things that happened in the first half of SAO I that they never animated but have relations to new shit thats happening in this new game, and of the new game that Kirito is investigating for the govt. cause hes a Gary Stu who can do shit that govts with unlimited power and money can't do cause its anime and yeah. All I am saying is I don't defend SAO and Log Horizon is Far FAR and away better anime but this new season has hardly any relation to ALO and while not to the same extent, is the same as people I know who won't watch Girls und panzer because they equate it to the utter shit that is strike witches without even trying it out. Or the people who refuse to watch Phantom Requiem for the Phantom because it's Bee Train and everything Bee Train has produced since Noir was utter shit. The thing is, Phantom turned out to be the best show Bee Train has ever produced but no one watched it cuz of all the shit they did after Noir (I am in total agreement that everything else Bee Train did was terrible, it really was, the only good thing they brought to us was was Ali Project). So anyways, basically because of past experiences I don't autojudge shows based on past seasons but I always will watch the first episode before tossing it. I guess the closest comparison to a season 1 and season 2 of SAO would be the differences between different series set in the UC timeline of Gundam. A lot of the series shared characters but they were stand alone otherwise and each series was different. Because the arcs in the SAO novels are the same way, I am not going to prejudge SAO II based on the 2nd half of season one until I see a little of it. If they start doing the same shit they did in part two which they don't do in the LN so it would be anime original, then yeah, fuck it, i won't watch it either. But if they don't then, eh, it should be decent.

EDIT: Yeah I kinda re-read exactly what was being asked and originally thought the person was asking about S2, but now I know what was being asked, yeah don't watch SAO at all, watch Log Horizon instead. The other stuff you listed is far better and theres other stuff you haven't listed that you should watch first as well. My comments were more about not watching SAO II cuz of the 2nd half of SAO 1 if you watched all of SAO I. To the person who asked what they should watch next, If you haven't seen Shin Sekai Yori which came out same year as Psycho-Pass, you should add that to your list. It was by far the best show that year and one of the best in the last 10 years.

StormKing

I agree with all of that except the new arc in SAO II has nothing to do with the 2nd part of SAO season 1. I mean if you hate Kirito then fine don't watch it but his shit sister and Asuna are hardly in the LN during this arc. The arc mainly is flashbacks to things that happened in the first half of SAO I that they never animated but have relations to new shit thats happening in this new game, and of the new game that Kirito is investigating for the govt. cause hes a Gary Stu who can do shit that govts with unlimited power and money can't do cause its anime and yeah. All I am saying is I don't defend SAO and Log Horizon is Far FAR and away better anime but this new season has hardly any relation to ALO and while not to the same extent, is the same as people I know who won't watch Girls und panzer because they equate it to the utter shit that is strike witches without even trying it out. Or the people who refuse to watch Phantom Requiem for the Phantom because it's Bee Train and everything Bee Train has produced since Noir was utter shit. The thing is, Phantom turned out to be the best show Bee Train has ever produced but no one watched it cuz of all the shit they did after Noir (I am in total agreement that everything else Bee Train did was terrible, it really was, the only good thing they brought to us was was Ali Project). So anyways, basically because of past experiences I don't autojudge shows based on past seasons but I always will watch the first episode before tossing it. I guess the closest comparison to a season 1 and season 2 of SAO would be the differences between different series set in the UC timeline of Gundam. A lot of the series shared characters but they were stand alone otherwise and each series was different. Because the arcs in the SAO novels are the same way, I am not going to prejudge SAO II based on the 2nd half of season one until I see a little of it. If they start doing the same shit they did in part two which they don't do in the LN so it would be anime original, then yeah, fuck it, i won't watch it either. But if they don't then, eh, it should be decent.

EDIT: Yeah I kinda re-read exactly what was being asked and originally thought the person was asking about S2, but now I know what was being asked, yeah don't watch SAO at all, The other stuff you listed is far better and theres other stuff you haven't listed that you should watch first as well. My comments were more about not watching SAO II cuz of the 2nd half of SAO 1 if you watched all of SAO I.

I watched Requiem for the Phantom and really enjoyed it. Is Noir similar? Is it worth watching?

Jarmel

Banned
Any SAO questions? This is more for the fans so I'm not going to heckle about how the Head Gear shit works,what glop means, or Kayaba.

Wall of shame
Code:
Mokoi				113
[B]AnathemicOne			113[/B]
duckroll			111
Ice Lightning			107
Lurky				100

Heh... Got into the top 5.

Made it on the wall again but not that high up. Excellent, just like the previous two OTs.

Anyways I've just finished marathoning Code Geass: Lelouch of the Rebellion and its sequel Code Geass: Lelouch of the Rebellion R2. Once I get back to the States I will post up series reviews for both shows.

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
Jarmel is the fucking man. I bow down to his eternal awesomeness if he is as lucky as I think he'll be.

Made it on the wall again but not that high up. Excellent, just like the previous two OTs.

Anyways I've just finished marathoning Code Geass: Lelouch of the Rebellion and its sequel Code Geass: Lelouch of the Rebellion R2. Once I get back to the States I will post up series reviews for both shows.

Aw come on! You gotta post impressions of that show as you go along! It's THAT crazy!

Oh well. :(

Ryuuroden

I watched Requiem for the Phantom and really enjoyed it. Is Noir similar? Is it worth watching?

Noir is the only other Bee Train anime worth watching and yeah its similar. It is an older show though and It shows in its animation quality which even for its time was not the best. But I thought the story was really good and the music is great.

Heartcatch Precure 10-11

Apparently I went insane and had my episode numbers completely wrong last time I watched this. Anywho. Wow okay.
This is getting interesting now Funny to see the Precures lose a fight and to another Precure at that. This is easily turning into my favorite Precure series.

That SAO2 line was something incredible. An unorganized mess of like 6000+ people. Mass exodus when they said the screening has reached maximum seating.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom