• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer 2014 Anime |OT| this thread has been outsourced to Toei Phils

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jintor

Since YY or in general? I don't recall thinking anything special about how YY looked, but Gekkan Shoujo had a few bits here and there that stood out to me, and the bg art is pretty nice.

Thoraxes

Since YY or in general? I don't recall thinking anything special about how YY looked, but Gekkan Shoujo had a few bits here and there that stood out to me, and the bg art is pretty nice.

S2 was a huge improvement in visuals for YY. To me it was instantly noticeable from the opening scenes and and the OP.

Sabagebu! 01

I am strongly reminded of a poor man's C3-Bu. The narrator commenting on the things going on is half the fun it seems. I really like the part where he mentions
all of this damage going on is in the girl's minds.

Theonik is being nice. There's an episode where they learned to ride broomsticks and well. Wow I'll let your imagination handle the rest.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Been discussing the SAO podcast with firehawk and we want to know if anyone else wants to join in. We're thinking midweek sometime and it'll likely be in the evening GMT to cater to timezones.

Fate/Zero ep. 2

So, uh, does Urobuchi have children? I don't know how to feel about this, it's trying way too hard.
Kojima likes it, so yes.
I didn't watch but I really liked what I read of the manga.
If you can handle the looks, its fine.
The only downside is the framerate, though the mech fights looked pretty cool.
Hmm, I kind of want to see the fight scenes but I don't know if it will be worth pushing through the other stuff. Looking up some impressions from the Spring season thread doesn't make it sound too enticing.

fertygo

Sabagebu - 01

Yeah this is everything C3-Bu should have been, the humour is great! funniest thing that I seen so far this season, the cast also great.. Miou especially funny.

ibfAejLP2DJ87R.jpg

Narrator-san is the best character tho.

Rail Wars 1

This show has no idea what pacing is.

Glasslip 1

WHAT DID HE SEE?!

Space Dandy 14

Pure bliss. Best episode of dandy yet.

Nozaki-kun 1

Meh. Was okay.

SAO2 1

Sigh. Why am I watching this?

jman2050

They "stepped up their game" by dramatically dropping the level of visual quality on their productions.

Hmm you're gonna have to be more specific here because I never really noticed anything that dramatically stands out in YY compared to everything else they've done.

Fate/Zero ep. 3

Saber has some potential as a character but I fear it will be squandered. Also she looks really kickass in that suit.

Fate/Zero ep. 4 & 5

This is entertaining but the writing's got issues. The action is a little harder to follow at times than I would like.
I am terrified where Caster's crush on Saber is going. -_-
The ironic sexism displayed so far is bad enough.

If you think sexism is bad in fate zero do yourself a favor and keep away from fate stay night rofl.

No but seriously. Chances are you'll hate it. Saber goes full waifu.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Sailor Moon Mondays: Sailor Moon Episode 17

Ah yes, this a pretty typical episode of the show all things considered, not amazing, but serviceable none the less. Yet it comes across as much more enjoyable after watching the much more serious Sailor Moon Crystal episode a few days ago. I can even have no appreciation for the much more comedic Chubby Usagi here. At any rate, there were a few highlights worth noting; the monster battle was a cut above the usual fare with Sailor Moon using more then use one move, the scouts usual counter being ineffective and Usagi haven't to be a bit more clever then usual. Also, the Sailor Moon communicator makes its debut here and it is another one of those gizmos that looks mind blowing and elite in 1993 but is downright antiquated by the standards of today. Anyway, an average but enjoyable episode, it can be watched or skipped.

cajunator

Banned
It's so fitting for Acchi Kocchi!

Yeah only the most adorable gifs would do it justice.

jesus christ

just ban all anime

edit: the above was a joke but

is that... really your gallery of screencapped panty shots?

Its exactly that! Theonik is nothing if not dedicated.

Nero Saber is best Saber.

B0UmWQn.png

Yes I realize who my avatar is but there isn't a Nero Saber version.

I have a little figure of this version of Saber. Shes a cutie.

Hnnnnnnnnngh. Best Saber.

Quasar

If you think sexism is bad in fate zero do yourself a favor and keep away from fate stay night rofl.

No but seriously. Chances are you'll hate it. Saber goes full waifu.

Maybe that's part of why I liked it over Zero.

As for the old fashioned views, I think why it didn't really bother me much is that it was a flaw in one character who was hit over the head for it frequently rather than a view of the series that was reinforced.

/XX/

And shortly after making its round on cinemas in France, the French people now even have a release date for their local version of The Tale of Princess Kaguya Blu-ray Disc; October, 29:

Amazon.fr - Le Conte de la princesse Kaguya [Blu-ray] - Aki Asakura, Isao Takahata, Kengo Kora, Takeo Chii, Nobuko Miyamoto, Atsuko Takahata, Tomoko Tabata : DVD & Blu-ray
http://www.amazon.fr/dp/B00KXVPIIU/

Even before the announcement for the product on its country of origin... the Japanese release shouldn't be too far off this date, I suppose!

Is this a troll PV? LOL it seems so weird. I also like how they showed no actual animation in it but maybe the show is too far off?
See that's the thing. I'm wondering if they're going to animate the show like the stuff in the PV or whether that's just some leftover stuff from the manga. My assumption is the latter.
Yeah, the latter. This "new" one is a rehash featuring scenes from the previous LN and 'manga' PVs already published on enterbrain's YouTube channel.

duckroll

Fate/Zero ep. 4 & 5

This is entertaining but the writing's got issues. The action is a little harder to follow at times than I would like.
I am terrified where Caster's crush on Saber is going. -_-
The ironic sexism displayed so far is bad enough.

Yes Fate/Zero is definitely very obviously a "men's world" show. There are a number of female staffers at Ufotable who probably had a great time drawing the hot guys they fancy in the show, but it's blatantly clear that it's a show written and directed by men, about men (and the women who support them). It's like a cowboy western or a traditional mob film, with an extra dose of modern day supernatural nonsense and a ton of exposition.

I guess that's part of its strength too - it's extremely focused and doesn't really try to be anything it's not. The overbearing "serious" tone can be a bit too heavy and self-indulgent, but I enjoyed that it really tried to be like a western film or TV series, without the awkward fanservice or forced humor that's commonly identified with a lot of anime. The director is a huge Christopher Nolan fan, and I think it really shows in how he composes a lot of scenes... for better or for worse. Lol.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Sailor Moon Mondays: Sailor Moon Episode 18

On this flipside of things, this episode left me rather cold, mainly for some maddening reason they felt that Singo needed another focus episode even when he is a little shit. Also, creepy dolls are creepy and will be night terrors for the next week. Still, I have to say even the weaker episodes of this arc are miles above what were were getting in the first period. Basically this show has by now hit its stride now that it has a better cast of characters to work with. Still, mild recommendation to evade this episode unless you have a stronger tolerance for obnoxious younger sibling episodes.

cajunator

Banned
Sailor Moon Mondays: Sailor Moon Episode 18

On this flipside of things, this episode left me rather cold, mainly for some maddening reason they felt that Singo needed another focus episode even when he is a little shit. Also, creepy dolls are creepy and will be night terrors for the next week. Still, I have to say even the weaker episodes of this arc are miles above what were were getting in the first period. Basically this show has by now hit its stride now that it has a better cast of characters to work with. Still, mild recommendation to evade this episode unless you have a stronger tolerance for obnoxious younger sibling episodes.

How much of this series have you seen before?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom