• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer 2014 Anime |OT| this thread has been outsourced to Toei Phils

Status
Not open for further replies.

wonzo

Banned
nolan's a fucking hack
pacspit.gif

Firemind

RIP Theonik

Have you watched Galaxy Angel?
No, but I certainly heard good things about it. Not all seasons though? I guess I can start with the first series and work my way up. Thanks.

You need to watch Gintama, it will surely make you laugh unless you don't have a sense of humor.
I've been meaning to, but the sheer size of the show is a little bit daunting. There's not a lot of continuity I reckon with a parody format, which is good.

A big reason why I steer clear of romance and slice of life anime.
It's a pity, because they're two of my favourite genres. I think the last time I watched and liked one was Joshiraku. I've heard good things about No Game No Life around here, but you know, AnimeGAF.

cajunator

Banned
RIP Theonik

No, but I certainly heard good things about it. Not all seasons though? I guess I can start with the first series and work my way up. Thanks.

I've been meaning to, but the sheer size of the show is a little bit daunting. There's not a lot of continuity I reckon with a parody format, which is good.

It's a pity, because they're two of my favourite genres. I think the last time I watched and liked one was Joshiraku. I've heard good things about No Game No Life around here, but you know, AnimeGAF.

You can watch any of the series, but just avoid Rune. Trust me on this.
Galaxy angel, A, AA, S, X, Z are all solid but Rune is garbage.

Oreca Battle 14

The best one of todays DraColle/Oreca block. The evolving system is unoriginal but one of the better parts of the series battle system for the characters. Im interested in how it plays in arcades (do they actually hit it that much as Orega Fire does, or is it dramatic effect). But on the evolving front after Bahn was expecting it to show up more.
mini dragon straight to red dragon to even scarlet dragon was impressive, all those flames on him was incredible.
. Good action.

/XX/

Yes Fate/Zero is definitely very obviously a "men's world" show. There are a number of female staffers at Ufotable who probably had a great time drawing the hot guys they fancy in the show, but it's blatantly clear that it's a show written and directed by men, about men (and the women who support them).
Now that you mention it, around the time Fate/Zero was airing... didn't you make feature posts with a presentation of the staffers at ufotable and translations of quotes from them? I don't have the links to them right now...

fertygo

McConaughey gonna bring based Nolan to dat Oscar..

Anyway I don't bothered the lesser potrayal of women in F/Z because at the end the theme seem (maybe spoiler)
painting idealism that closer to male such like heroism, and righteousness as rather foolish and merely egocentric. Every male in the show got trounced by their ideal that they holding at some point.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
He's likes anime butts and he cannot lie
You other GAFers can't deny
That when an anime gal pops up on the screen
Blushes all over as if covered in Vaseline
He bewitched, getting a bit antsy
'Cause he can see a bit of their pantsy
Those tiny skirts they're wearing
He's hooked and he can't stop staring
Oh baby, he's finding it so hot
When he takes those screenshots
We warned him its getting a bit outta hand
But he posted them butts and now he's banned

He's likes anime butts and he cannot lie
You other GAFers can't deny
That when an anime gal pops up on the screen
Blushes all over as if covered in Vaseline
He bewitched, getting a bit antsy
'Cause he can see a bit of their pantsy
Those tiny skirts they're wearing
He's hooked and he can't stop staring
Oh baby, he's finding it so hot
When he takes those screenshots
We warned him its getting a bit outta hand
But he posted them butts and now he's banned

He came here like a wrecking butt!
We warned him to stop it but
he didn't listen to us
and that alerted the fuzz
And now he's on the run
He wre-e-e-e-cked himself!

Hero Bank ep 14

Odd arc setup for Cyber Empire.
Kaito lost last episode but now wins without doing any training or anything? Just felt pretty weak especially considering how everyone put everything on him so much in this one show down. They could have made the event at least have lasted five episodes with some random matches in between instead of resolving everything suddenly.
. Weakest episode since some of the random one on one match ups with weaker characters.

Yes Fate/Zero is definitely very obviously a "men's world" show. There are a number of female staffers at Ufotable who probably had a great time drawing the hot guys they fancy in the show, but it's blatantly clear that it's a show written and directed by men, about men (and the women who support them). It's like a cowboy western or a traditional mob film, with an extra dose of modern day supernatural nonsense and a ton of exposition.

I guess that's part of its strength too - it's extremely focused and doesn't really try to be anything it's not. The overbearing "serious" tone can be a bit too heavy and self-indulgent, but I enjoyed that it really tried to be like a western film or TV series, without the awkward fanservice or forced humor that's commonly identified with a lot of anime. The director is a huge Christopher Nolan fan, and I think it really shows in how he composes a lot of scenes... for better or for worse. Lol.
While the base perspective is definitely focused on men, it certainly expands the scope more than that. Which partly leads to some of my dissatisfaction. To an extent it is acknowledging the roles of women and their perspective, more than you would see in a standard western or mob film. It even acknowledges sexism, even if it is in a very flawed way. I'm sleep deprived so I don't know where I'm going with this but I don't think it is an narrowly focused as you say.

McConaughey gonna bring based Nolan to dat Oscar..

Anyway I don't bothered the lesser potrayal of women in F/Z because at the end the theme seem (maybe spoiler)
painting idealism that closer to male such like heroism, and righteousness as rather foolish and merely egocentric. Every male in the show got trounced by their ideal that they holding at some point.
Yeah this. Fate Zero also genuinely tries to show that This Is a Man's World. A man's world. But it wouldn't be nothing. NOTHIIIIING. Without a woman or a girl.

duckroll

While the base perspective is definitely focused on men, it certainly expands the scope more than that. Which partly leads to some of my dissatisfaction. To an extent it is acknowledging the roles of women and their perspective, more than you would see in a standard western or mob film. It even acknowledges sexism, even if it is in a very flawed way. I'm sleep deprived so I don't know where I'm going with this but I don't think it is an narrowly focused as you say.

I didn't mean it as a narrow focus, but a specific focus. Any expansion of scope is ultimately only meant to extend the meaning of the overall setting and characters back to the main leads who are all men. In a way it reminds me of stuff like Boardwalk Empire and of course Nolan's films like the Batmans, Prestige, and Inception. There are women in the world, they exist, some of them are strong, some of them are weak, but they're all involved in the story because of a relationship they have with a man. Whether they are there by choice or not, they are there because of a man. And regardless of their competence or ability, their contributions to the events only serve to support or deter the ambitions of a man. The show acknowledges this and makes it part of the narrative.

Yeah this. Fate Zero also genuinely tries to show that This Is a Man's World. A man's world. But it wouldn't be nothing. NOTHIIIIING. Without a woman or a girl.

But I think that's every good "man's world" story though. You can't really tell a good story like that which feels satisfying in any way without acknowledging that behind every successful man there is a woman somewhere. That's part of the inherent sexism in reality too - that men are largely motivated by women, even if they don't see them as anything more than a prize or a duty.

Yes Fate/Zero is definitely very obviously a "men's world" show. There are a number of female staffers at Ufotable who probably had a great time drawing the hot guys they fancy in the show, but it's blatantly clear that it's a show written and directed by men, about men (and the women who support them). It's like a cowboy western or a traditional mob film, with an extra dose of modern day supernatural nonsense and a ton of exposition.

You would think that being about a war between mages, there would be both females and males mages to kick ass. At least in Kara no Kyoaki there are powerful women mages.

duckroll

You would think that being about a war between mages, there would be both females and males mages to kick ass. At least in Kara no Kyoaki there are powerful women mages.

Fate/Zero feels less like a story about a free for all "mage war" than a story about institution, tradition, and power blocs though. The way the rules are set up and the game is played, it's equal amounts of corporate warfare and magical ability. The participants are mostly there representing traditional - old families waging a proxy battle for dominance. I think in that context, it makes sense.

I didn't mean it as a narrow focus, but a specific focus. Any expansion of scope is ultimately only meant to extend the meaning of the overall setting and characters back to the main leads who are all men. In a way it reminds me of stuff like Boardwalk Empire and of course Nolan's films like the Batmans, Prestige, and Inception. There are women in the world, they exist, some of them are strong, some of them are weak, but they're all involved in the story because of a relationship they have with a man. Whether they are there by choice or not, they are there because of a man. And regardless of their competence or ability, their contributions to the events only serve to support or deter the ambitions of a man. The show acknowledges this and makes it part of the narrative.
Okay, I understand what you are saying.
Fate/Zero feels less like a story about a free for all "mage war" than a story about institution, tradition, and power blocs though. The way the rules are set up and the game is played, it's equal amounts of corporate warfare and magical ability. The participants are mostly there representing traditional - old families waging a proxy battle for dominance. I think in that context, it makes sense.
Definitely. It is concerned with power dynamics.

Mokoi

Banned
Nero Saber is best Saber.
Yes I realize who my avatar is but there isn't a Nero Saber version.

Yo I can agree with this statement. I still haven't gotten around to playing the game though. Also wish Fate/Apocrypha got some type game/animu adaptation. The artwork for looks fantastic from what I seen. Haven't bother to read some of the translation though, so don't know if it's good.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom