• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer 2014 Anime |OT| this thread has been outsourced to Toei Phils

Status
Not open for further replies.

/XX/

Fate/Zero feels less like a story about a free for all "mage war" than a story about institution, tradition, and power blocs though. The way the rules are set up and the game is played, it's equal amounts of corporate warfare and magical ability. The participants are mostly there representing traditional - old families waging a proxy battle for dominance. I think in that context, it makes sense.
There was a little bit of focus on that cruel traditionalism by way of Sola-Ui backstory, and how she was relegated to forcefully marry Kayneth El-Melloi "Archibaldo"-sama while her failure of a brother didn't come forth as head Magus of her family. And even though she
was enchanted by Diarmuid's charming spot and all ended in tragedy
, we know how strong wiled and capable she could be to obtain what she wanted.

Point is fate zero was the best thing to happen to Urobuchi and type moon. Also Nolan isn't a hack. All you haters are. Your favorite director is shit.
Nah, Madoka was (career wise).

I like Nolan but he has sort of been a hack lately in the sense of
Wiktionary said:
One who is professionally successful despite producing mediocre work.
The Dark Knight (to a lesser extent), Inception, and The Dark Knight Rises.

Yo I can agree with this statement. I still haven't gotten around to playing the game though. Also wish Fate/Apocrypha got some type game/animu adaptation. The artwork for looks fantastic from what I seen. Haven't bother to read some of the translation though, so don't know if it's good.
I thoroughly enjoyed Fate/Extra. Finished the game several times, loved the story, character interactions and more info about the whole servant system and the creative servants the game introduced, not to mention the gameplay itself.

I'm the same with Fate/Apocrypha, love the artwork and servants I've seen but still know next to nothing about it.

BluWacky

It was Kara no Kyōkai, Tsukihime, FS/N then Fate/Zero I believe? In terms of written order not animated.

Tsukihime needs a remake, ufotable pls.

I'm not sure whether I really want a Tsukihime remake from Ufotable. While I know it's not "cool" to say so, Shingetsutan wasn't THAT dreadful, and Ufotable haven't really impressed me with their attempts at horror as yet (Kara no Kyoukai is mostly dull rather than creepy). Tsukihime as a story seems to rely mostly on its ominous atmosphere and Shiki discovering the mysteries of the story - and shagging all the women, of course, thanks Nasu (is this where the mollusc metaphor comes from? I can't remember) - whereas although UfoTable have managed "dark" already the atmosphere is very different in the Fate franchises.

hmmm what was the last anime with the protag that has normal upper middle class parents?

It's usually the elite rival with elite parents. the protag has insane parents up the royalty wazoo or are poor weirdos that make candy or something.

I guess the 'boring' parents rarely even appear in those anime anyhow.
Oreimo had normal parents for most of the cast.

Nero Saber is best Saber.

B0UmWQn.png

Yes I realize who my avatar is but there isn't a Nero Saber version.
Aka SABEEER is best Saber.

No, but I certainly heard good things about it. Not all seasons though? I guess I can start with the first series and work my way up. Thanks.
The last season of the regular series is inferior to the rest , but that's still good
You can watch any of the series, but just avoid Rune. Trust me on this.
Galaxy angel, A, AA, S, X, Z are all solid but Rune is garbage.
Yep avoid Rune

How is Tsukihime's story? In the gradient of quality of Fate/zero, KNK, Fate stay/Night, where would you put it?
Tsukihime's story is hard to place because there are many different endings because of the fact you can select several different girls to pursue each leading down to multiple endings for each of those girls. The overall atmosphere though is extremely dark with a lot of deep dives into sexual depravity and violence that many would view as disgusting at points. Shiki is a very unlikable MC in a good way though if you ask me.

EDIT: For the record I'm referring to the VN not the anime.

Tsukihime's story is hard to place because there are many different endings because of the fact you can select several different girls to pursue each leading down to multiple endings for each of those girls. The overall atmosphere though is extremely dark with a lot of deep dives into sexual depravity and violence that many would view as disgusting at points. Shiki is a very unlikable MC in a good way though if you ask me.

So... more or less edgy than Akame ga Kill? :p

Jarmel

Banned
I didn't mean it as a narrow focus, but a specific focus. Any expansion of scope is ultimately only meant to extend the meaning of the overall setting and characters back to the main leads who are all men. In a way it reminds me of stuff like Boardwalk Empire and of course Nolan's films like the Batmans, Prestige, and Inception. There are women in the world, they exist, some of them are strong, some of them are weak, but they're all involved in the story because of a relationship they have with a man. Whether they are there by choice or not, they are there because of a man. And regardless of their competence or ability, their contributions to the events only serve to support or deter the ambitions of a man. The show acknowledges this and makes it part of the narrative.

Sort of like True Dick.

Oh and Aoki being a huge Nolan fanboy really irked me just because of the location of that battle. Really just distracting.

Speaking of Aoki are there any interviews with him about AZ? I'm wondering what type of show they're going for. I understand they want something to usurp Gundam or whatever but I doubt they're going to go the straight action route.

striferser

Huge Nickleback Fan
How is Tsukihime's story? In the gradient of quality of Fate/zero, KNK, Fate stay/Night, where would you put it?

It's more of a murder mystery ala KnK and less action. As far as MC goes, Shiki (Tsuki) is more likeable than Shiro IMO, though not as badass as Shiki (KnK). Tsukihime is my least favorite among other nasuverse to be honest. THe mystery in KnK is better executed than Tsukihime.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
Ace of the Diamond 38
Haikyuu 14

Okay this isn't really a thought about either episode, I did enjoy both quite a bit, but I am just confused as to what the hell the word "Ace" actually means.

Clearly does not refer to the best player on the team in either series. In the case of Ace of the Diamond it doesn't even mean the guy who is the number one starting pitcher (what most would believe to be the normal definition for an ace) - you know the guy who is going to pitch 6+ innings a game ideally. In Haikyu its not referring to any specific position nor is it referring to the best player on the team.

Hell its not even referring to the captain of the team for both shows. So I ask, what the fuck is an Ace? In the last episode of Ace of the Diamond,
their ace comes in relief after the first 3 pitchers they used couldn't get the job done. The 4th guy you're using in the game isn't the ace, its called desperaton.
In Haikyu their "ace" is the foundation of their team I guess? Only he doesn't really have any great skills and hes got the shakiest mental makeup of anybody on the team, hardly a guy you'd want to be your "ace". Whatever that means.

I miss the days when the word Ace actually had a meaning. Bring back Aim for the Ace.

Pooya

well, they managed to make the LN character designs looking far less crappy, that's a good sign I guess. gj kyoani lol

Pooya

The show is gonna start decently then the main character will reveal he has a glasses fetishes. Also incest jokes.

It's not one of their not-award-winning LNs, it might actually be not terrible as far as the story goes, it's actually from a decent writer... but the premise sounds shit anyway so who knows..

I'm still holding unto hope that kyoani will be on the edge of bankruptcy and they decide to do one final push and give me the Harry Potter anime I deserve. We know they can do cool magic battles. Give it to me. Give it to meeeeee.

Jarmel

Banned
I'm still holding unto hope that kyoani will be on the edge of bankruptcy and they decide to do one final push and give me the Harry Potter anime I deserve. We know they can do cool magic battles. Give it to me. Give it to meeeeee.

LWA TV series is all I want.

I would kill though for a really high grade HP animation covering all seven books. The Dumbledore vs Voldemort battle would be sakuga central.

In the last episode of Ace of the Diamond,
their ace comes in relief after the first 3 pitchers they used couldn't get the job done. The 4th guy you're using in the game isn't the ace, its called desperaton.
You've kind of missed the point. He's coming in as relief because he was hurt and wasn't ready to start yet. The coach calls him the ace (which is what he was when healthy, their best pitcher) as a motivational tactic.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.

Haven't we had discussion how KyoAni is better of not making productions for other people which is why you're never getting Haruhi S3.

TUSR

Banned
Little Witch Academia TV series, where Diana is the Neville Longbottom that JK Rowling never decided to write.

Is GAF loading like garbage this morning?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom