• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Best Friends Thread 14: Sacrifice your life for more posts in the thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Skrams

You sure about that? I always thought the idea of piercing someones heart in one shot instead of wasting the energy of doing a slashing motion is more efficient and cool.

Yes.

esaKhsR.png

There's a coolness in the ability to poke and instantly stop a man's heart, but nah.

Rizzi

Shit, if we're talking about swords we think are cool, I'd take an estoc. They look fucking cool.
Fuck cutting people, let me stab them until they stop moving.

Zenfalcia

Katanas are fairly brittle is my understanding. Trying to chop someone up as if you're using a heavy melee weapon like a broadsword would only break it, rather katanas are swung as if they they're throwing out a fishing lure so the slacked grip would absorb the force of striking something and not break.
Is that so? Interesting.
Average thread life is 12 days right? If so then we've been posting that much this entire time.
12 give or take. I suppose we can probably make it to a new thread quickly. It depends on how early goodwil posts the new thread up.
Podcast excerpt from SBFC 78

Woolie: "I'm halfway through the first season,"
Matt: "'Cause I remember-"
Woolie: "of Hajime no Ippo,"
Matt: "I remember in a podcast-"
Woolie: "so everybody SHUT THE FUCK UP"
Matt: "I remember-"
Woolie: "AND GET OFF MY DICK"
Matt: "I remem-"
Woolie: "LEAVE MY TWITTER ALONE"

Poking people will never be as cool as swords.
Poor Matt.

demidar

I suppose, but at that point they would be so slow from wearing all of that shit you could probably just run away from the fight.

Edit: I was talking about someone wearing plate armor only.

Not sure it would do anything to plate either. It could slip between the links, but that wouldn't cause fatal damage.

Not sure it would do anything to plate either. It could slip between the links, but that wouldn't cause fatal damage.

It would do more damage then a kitana would in that situation, it would just bounce off leaving you wide open.

If I had to choose a weapon in a fight where my opponent was heavily armored I would pick something blunt like a mace.

Yes.
There's a coolness in the ability to poke and instantly stop a man's heart, but nah.

What a waste of metal.

Japan makes cool looking weapons, like Papa Plague told us in Dark Souls, but boy they don't look like efficient uses of metal.

Give me something with blunt force behind it, like a hammer or mace or a claymore.

demidar

It would do more damage then a kitana would in that situation, it would just bounce off leaving you wide open.

If I had to choose a weapon in a fight where my opponent was heavily armored I would pick something blunt like a mace.

Oh yeah, katanas are useless for anything even remotely armoured, it's only effective against bare flesh. A mace would definitely deal more damage to armoured people since it can either crush the armour, dent it inwards or disfigure the armour to lower mobility and the strike itself delivers a lot of force that's transferred through the armour to the body.

If we are talking effectiveness against armour wouldn't something like a halberd beat everything out? You can pull someone off a horse, it has a spike for piercing, it could have a blunt head for smashing plate etc. close range it would probably be a bitch to use but I imagine you could just treat it like a poorly balanced spear

It lame it out with a crossbow

Oh yeah, katanas are useless for anything even remotely armoured, it's only effective against bare flesh. A mace would definitely deal more damage to armoured people since it can either crush the armour, dent it inwards or disfigure the armour to lower mobility and the strike itself delivers a lot of force that's transferred through the armour to the body.

Right, this is why kitanas aren't very useful..how often in combat are you going to see someone with absolutely no armor on? Hardly ever.

Plus in a fight with two fighters of the same experience, a claymore, or just a longsword in general would beat a kitana every time.

If we are talking effectiveness against armour wouldn't something like a halberd beat everything out? You can pull someone off a horse, it has a spike for piercing, it could have a blunt head for smashing plate etc. close range it would probably be a bitch to use but I imagine you could just treat it like a poorly balanced spear

They aren't exactly the same, but this is why Pikemen were a thing.

Skrams

What a waste of metal.

Japan makes cool looking weapons, like Papa Plague told us in Dark Souls, but boy they don't look like efficient uses of metal.

Give me something with blunt force behind it, like a hammer or mace or a claymore.

It's folded over 1000 times though. That's the most efficient.

Also this then.

Who needs efficiency when you can make it look cool.

Yep.

It lame it out with a crossbow

Halberds are too unwieldy for 1v1.

A good sword and shield can easily outclass a halberd.

Also this then.
Yep.

Buster Swords are fucking rad.

Zenfalcia

Although, how many situations will you actually fight a person on a horse? Unless we're talking about specific points in history where these kinds of weapons are useful.
Right, this is why kitanas aren't very useful..how often in combat are you going to see someone with absolutely no armor on? Hardly ever.

Plus in a fight with two fighters of the same experience, a claymore, or just a longsword in general would beat a kitana every time.
Okay, i know you aren't doing this on purpose, but it's bugging me. You're spelling katana wrong, it's not kitana.

It's only useful in historical japan, and also maybe during the world wars when all they wore was uniforms.

Although, how many situations will you actually fight a person on a horse? Unless we're talking about specific points in history where these kinds of weapons are useful.

Okay, i know you aren't doing this on purpose, but it's bugging me. You're spelling katana wrong, it's not kitana.

It's only useful in historical japan, and also maybe during the world wars when all they wore was uniforms.

I actually was doing that on purpose to see who it would get to first.

Congratulations.

user_23744_3TE98SS9.gif

So watched the life is strange episodes to see what all the fuss was about. As usual, it was absolutely nothing. But man, that dialogue is not great. It sounds so...wooden.

Well when was the last time bladed weapons not attached to guns were used en masse? And wouldn't it be likely someone with plate armour would be a knight and have a horse? A foot common soldier can't afford plate

Zenfalcia

Well when was the last time bladed weapons not attached to guns were used en masse? And wouldn't it be likely someone with plate armour would be a knight and have a horse? A foot common soldier can't afford plate
I can only think of japanese officers using blades in ww2, does that count? But besides that, it was used in a certain european country which i don't remember the name to, which used calvary, which i think were armed with swords, against the german panzers... Besides those times, it would've have to been much later in history.

True, it would be uncommon to have knight walking, since they would be mounted due to the sheer weight of the armour.

Oberon

Banned
Look it up, a rapier was made for hitting between plate armor, a kitana can't cut through bone, let alone through plate.

Can't cut through bones? One move is all about hitting in the head and spitting the head open. Other than that, it makes sense, but katana still look cooler.

Also this then.
Yep.

Guts uses Kendo moves, how about that.

Archers and spears for top tier.

You mean for cowards?
Edit : Spears are cool tho

demidar

I do know that cavalry and mounted infantry were used in WW1.

Can't cut through bones? One move is all about hitting in the head and spitting the head open. Other than that, it makes sense, but katana still look cooler.

Guts uses Kendo moves, how about that.

You mean for cowards?
Edit : Spears are cool tho

It would all depend on the quality of the katana and the sharpness, so I suppose it would be possible.

tsundoku

So watched the life is strange episodes to see what all the fuss was about. As usual, it was absolutely nothing. But man, that dialogue is not great. It sounds so...wooden.

That's every dialogue tree game i've even seen though.

The game looks interesting and i'll watch it but i'll be imagining all the writers sitting in their office going "Oh man this is gonna be so epic like in Madoka" while ripping it off wholesale and getting a less convincing plot because the player might miss pivotal scenes.

That's every dialogue tree game i've even seen though.

The game looks interesting and i'll watch it but i'll be imagining all the writers sitting in their office going "Oh man this is gonna be so epic like in Madoka" while ripping it off wholesale and getting a less convincing plot because the player might miss pivotal scenes.
Now that you mention it, yeah, mkst all of I've seen are that way. And is it ripping off madoka? I've never seen that.

I didn't mean in terms of how cool they are. If I went off of that, lances, spears and katanas would win all day every day.

In a full-on battle situation, excluding pre-battle strategy and assuming equal skill.

I can only imagine the wasted number of arrows that don't hit anything.

Zenfalcia

Oh no, the angry sex part isn't a joke, I'm talking about having angry makeup sex with Zen is a joke.

I shipped it so hard that it's already across the ocean.

Licking is more fun then sucking.
Is that so?

Might as well call it the titanic if it's going to travel the world.

Why not both?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom