• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Best Friends Thread 16: You thought Woolie was the Liar, but it was me Patrick!

croten

I watched a whole bunch of Anime as a kid, my Dad had a subscription to an anime DVD thing so he would get DVDs every week of different series or movies. I watched everything that wasn't rated 18. Heat guy J, Tokyo Underground, a bunch of other crap I can't remember. I think I watched Akira when I was 11.

Oberon

Banned
I remember waking up earlier to catch an episode of Cardcaptor Sakura

fe3MXcaU214YfDxQydfdwy4Z66c.jpg

I loved this show. I didn't watch much of the DB/Z anime. I read all the manga tho

Xiraiya

Technically the first anime I ever saw was either DBZ or Sailor Moon, they aired around the same time but SM was always on first at about 6:30 AM and DBZ would be on at 7:30 AM.

I've always disliked Sailor Moon, even as a little kid it would come on and my first thought was "What is this garbage, this is painful" I ended up watching a whole bunch of episodes anyway because every other TV channel only had morning news shows on at this point. Eventually I actually ended up just learning to sleep in later to avoid it, which was hard to do because I was always that kid who couldn't stand to stay in bed once I opened my eyes, when they removed SM I was relieved but then they replaced it with Cardcaptor Sakura and I was really salt about it.

Then my first good anime was Trigun and Cowboy Bebop both around the same time, Bebop was fine to watch but it never hooked me, Trigun hooked me in pretty quickly, and FMA was also airing, which was good back then and I enjoyed the dub.

At some point during all this I got made to watch Elfen Leid, Azumanga Daioh (Wasn't a fan), Chobits (Didn't care for it), Excel Saga (Garbage) and FLCL (Which was batshit but decent)

I discovered Naruto after those things, and while it clearly wasn't like Trigun or say FMA, I liked it for what it was and always have really enjoyed the Narutoverse, even when the plot went to beyond shit.

I got into Bleach for a short time around then too, that series was goddamn fantastic up until the Soul Society
The Aizen twist is still one of the cooler twists I've seen in an anime after all these years.
and after that Bleach just became weird and boring for the longest time, it had some good moments but it was such a downgrade from SS that I really wasn't a fan for the longest time. It's better now but kind of in a weird way where I can't really fault it or despise it, but it's not really making me hyped in any way
Until Aizen returned anyway.

At some point I binged One Piece back when it was at Thriller Bark, that was a real good time, quite an adventure.

That was my initiation into anime growing up, after that I just branched out looking at different stuff.

Before the weeabooism fully set in, I liked Teen Titans. Billy and Mandy. Fairly Odd Parents and Ed, Edd and Eddie.

I remember when Beast Wars was big and my brothers were super into it and I was watching Gundam Wing, being super elitist about it and hating Beast Wars because that show was shit in comparison.

Before the weeabooism fully set in, I liked Teen Titans. Billy and Mandy. Fairly Odd Parents and Ed, Edd and Eddie.

I remember when Beast Wars was big and my brothers were super into it and I was watching Gundam Wing, being super elitist about it and hating Beast Wars because that show was shit in comparison.

Sadly the shit taste started.

At least you did not start liking Yukiko

Xiraiya

Most of those Cartoon Network Cartoons never sat well with me as a kid.

Beast Wars was awesome.
Gundam was on a fair bit back then but I just honestly never gave a shit about it, Gundam has always been a weird case of "I'm seeing the awesome robots doing the cool things but yet I cannot bring myself to give a single shit."

Ah shit I think I fucked up already.
Went outside and Akihiko wanted to hang and I didn't check the sports clubs.

I'm assuming it's fine

I'd be here all day naming cartoon I liked, but The Last Airbender, Batman TAS, Justice League, and Spiderman TAS were all really up there for babby Recursive
It's pretty good DLC if you like the game.

90s Spiderman on FOX was my gateway drug into Marvel.

That's when I decided to turn into Tobey Maguire.

Most of those Cartoon Network Cartoons never sat well with me as a kid.

Beast Wars was awesome.
Gundam was on a fair bit back then but I just honestly never gave a shit about it, Gundam has always been a weird case of "I'm seeing the awesome robots doing the cool things but yet I cannot bring myself to give a single shit."

I liked the dumb loudness as a kid. Going back there's still some pretty good jokes in there but they're definitely kids' shows.

I was the exact opposite. I saw good animation and quality writing with rad robot designs in Gundam, then saw Beast Wars, with terrible CG, next to no real plot and terrible action.

90s Spiderman on FOX was my gateway drug into Marvel.

That's when I decided to turn into Tobey Maguire.

I also liked 90s Spiderman and X-Men, but really I just liked Wolverine and my brothers watched them so I did too. It wasn't until I was about 13 and tried getting into comics that I realized I hate them.

Xiraiya

I was the exact opposite. I saw good animation and quality writing with rad robot designs in Gundam, then saw Beast Wars, with terrible CG, next to no real plot and terrible action.

Beast Wars was around a couple of years before Gundam, and yeah I don't really have anything against Gundam, but I just can never seem to bring myself to care about the stories or universe.

Though I've tried most of the series when they've come and gone and I'm just always left not caring.

Though I actually watched Gundam 00 and ended up liking it.

Xiraiya

Have you tried Unicorn? If you liked 00 then it might be worth a shot.

99.99% of the time I'm watching stuff with Beloved and she's not really a Gundam fan either, even though she's okay with Mecha anime if there's a reason to enjoy it, so we wouldn't be curious enough to bother with it.

99.99% of the time I'm watching stuff with Beloved and she's not really a Gundam fan either, even though she's okay with Mecha anime if there's a reason to enjoy it, so we wouldn't be curious enough to bother with it.

Well, there are only 7 episodes so far (The release like 2 a year) and the animation is fantastic. So if you're ever in the mood for something like that, it's easy to go through.

Beloved can tolerate watching Mecha anime??

My friend she's a keeper.

We really are brothers...

My favorite episode was the episode with the music video segments. I still enjoy every single minute of that episode.

Top Bottom