• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Best Friends Thread 16: You thought Woolie was the Liar, but it was me Patrick!

That's the thing, though. I'm one of those nuts that doesn't give a shit about the combat or gameplay of Persona 4. I love it solely for the writing, characters, style and music. And motherfucker do I love those parts.

I'm pretty sure that almost everyone that loves p4 doesn't love it for the combat.

semisonic

Banned
P5 is one game that's actually really easy to make better than the previous entries. Like, really easy.

That' s a stretch.
I mean, sure, it definitely has strong potential to be better than the previous ones, doubly so considering the trailer. But if it was so easy for a game to be better at persona than 2, 3, and 4, we'd have gotten one by now.
And we haven't. So calm down there til we get more info.

The big reason people like persona so much (at least 3 and 4) is because of the characters. I'm fully expectig it to play better but I'm not expectig to like the characters more.
They could easily do better in regards to story. Characters, maybe.
Bring back demon negotiation. Its so simple. Talking to people that aren't party members is so fucking boring when you can talk to demons instead.
Maybe...

That' s a stretch.
I mean, sure, it definitely has strong potential to be better than the previous ones, doubly so considering the trailer. But if it was so easy for a game to be better at persona than 2, 3, and 4, we'd have gotten one by now.
Nah. Easily. It's a spinoff of a game series that play better (and have better actual stories, if we're talking PS2 era Persona).

Catherine proved it for me too. They can do better.
I wanna S-link with Mara tho ;__;
I just don't see it happening, but I would love to romance a dick on a chariot.

semisonic

Banned
Bring back demon negotiation. Its so simple. Talking to people that aren't party members is so fucking boring when you can talk to demons instead.
Ehh, you just want more SMT. Social links are in and I don't think they're leaving. But Social linking with demons?

Now this is an idea I can get behind. Though if they have the character depth form SMT convos it's going to be the most transparantly boring and shallow shit ever.
They could easily do better in regards to story.
Do better? Sure. Easily do better?
Fuck the hell no.
I dunno about you, but from what I know of P3 it's got some shit. Same with P2.
If we're talking better than 4?
Okay, sure(although I personally think the characters make the story, and aren't so easily separated, given p4's format)
But right now you are just setting yourself up for disappointment, and your mother and i are very worried about you.
Or you're hyperboling super hard and I should stop taking you seriously.

RainSD

Neo Member
That' s a stretch.

Nah. Easily. It's a spinoff of a game series that play better (and have better actual stories, if we're talking PS2 era Persona).

Catherine proved it for me too. They can do better.
I just don't see it happening, but I would love to romance a dick on a chariot.

Plus, the game has been in development for some time. I'm sure they've learned a lot from player feedback.

semisonic

Banned
No, he wants P2. Demon negotiation is in there.

I know. But p2 is gone now.
And we sure as hell aren't getting it back while it was as unpopular as it was comparatively.
There's a goddamn good reason that we have all these p4 and p3 spinoffs and literally no p2 spinoffs.
And it ain't quality.

I know. But p2 is gone now.
And we sure as hell aren't getting it back while it was as unpopular as it was comparatively.
There's a goddamn good reason that we have all these p4 and p3 spinoffs and literally no p2 spinoffs.
And it ain't quality.
The main reason is no P2 spinoffs that the team that worked on them is no longer at ATLUS. They wanna respect the original creators by not messing with them.

The negotiation is P2 is definitely one of the best even if people don't agree. Group Contacts were super fun.
Conditions for successful negotiation being preset combinations of characters for each demon kinda sucks, I actually prefer RNG.
And it ain't quality.
giphy.gif
The main reason is that the team that worked on them is no longer at ATLUS
Also, IS never came out in English till the PSP remake, we only got EP back in the day.

I have to admit, its always hilarious when people think I want Persona to be like mainline SMT when I say new Persona should have/bring back demon negotiation. You can usually weed out the P3/4 fans from the pack.

I'll never forget in the "What new features P5 should have" thread where I said Demon Negotiation, and people bashed me for saying Persona shouldn't be like SMT. If I wanted Persona to be like SMT, I would want a post-apocalyptic world, some kind of law/chaos function and the press turn system, which I never asked for (though I wouldn't say no to a press turn system in P5).

semisonic

Banned
The main reason is no P2 spinoffs that the team that worked on them is no longer at ATLUS. They wanna respect the original creators by not messing with them.
Wait I actually don't have a response about this. Shit.
Conditions for successful negotiation being preset combinations of characters for each demon kinda sucks, I actually prefer RNG.

giphy.gif

Also, IS never came out in English till the PSP remake, we only got EP back in the day.

Is there a misconception here about my meaning?
I'm not saying p2 is bad. And demon negotiation is rad as fuck.
But persona has a way larger fanbase than what it once was. And I don't think they're going to alienate it super hard(by which I mean to the level of taking out social links in favor of demon negotation again) to satisfy a smaller, though more loyal fanbase. Right now the whole idea of a persona in the eye of the common jobber is that personas are a representation of the self, or a crystallization of one's bonds. It's been that way since p3. And putting demon negotiation back in would completely reject those concepts.

Alfebit

Banned
Ok, I just finished the new Revelaitons episode (stupid real life stuff, making me almost miss videos), and is it just me, or is that a terrible ending point? It feels super lame.

My guess is that it's because the episode lengths don't work too well for the LP

There are multiple endings to Rev2. Which one are you talking about?

I have to admit, its always hilarious when people think I want Persona to be like mainline SMT when I say new Persona should have/bring back demon negotiation. You can usually weed out the P3/4 fans from the pack.

I'll never forget in the "What new features P5 should have" thread where I said Demon Negotiation, and people bashed me for saying Persona shouldn't be like SMT. If I wanted Persona to be like SMT, I would want a post-apocalyptic world, some kind of law/chaos function and the press turn system, which I never asked for (though I wouldn't say no to a press turn system in P5).
I don't expect it, but I wonder how P3/4 fans would take Press Turn. It's kinda dabes.

But persona has a way larger fanbase than what it once was. And I don't think they're going to alienate it super hard(by which I mean to the level of taking out social links in favor of demon negotation again) to satisfy a smaller, though more loyal fanbase. Right now the whole idea of a persona in the eye of the common jobber is that personas are a representation of the self, or a crystallization of one's bonds. It's been that way since p3. And putting demon negotiation back in would completely reject those concepts.

In the trailer they've already brought demons back as enemies. Unless its just for modelling purposes for future SMT games, there has to be a reason for it. Unless they're just gonna ignore demons in general and just call them shadows.

taking out social links in favor of demon negotation again) to satisfy a smaller, though more loyal fanbase. Right now the whole idea of a persona in the eye of the common jobber is that personas are a representation of the self, or a crystallization of one's bonds. It's been that way since p3. And putting demon negotiation back in would completely reject those concepts.
Personas were always reflection of oneself. That's what the word "Persona" means. You know P2 negotiations don't mean you recruit demons, right? You just get different stuff from them or end fights peacefully.

Also I didn't say take out S.Links, they can exist in the same system. skLa did though.
Heh, I never knew how they did in Japan.

RainSD

Neo Member
Wait I actually don't have a response about this. Shit.

Social links were already confirmed to be a thing in some way. It'd be pretty rad if they added demon negotiations in too in some way,

Personas were always reflection of oneself. That's what the word "Persona" means. You know P2 negotiations don't mean you recruit demons, right? You just get different stuff from them or end fights peacefully.

Also I didn't say take out S.Links, they can exist in the same system. skLa did though.

And I'll stand by this statement forever, though I would be completely ignorant to think they'd ever take out social links. Especially because I think they're already confirmed in some article or another.

I'm actually really excited to pick up DeSu 2:Break Record because I heard from the CoS podcast that the FATE system is way better implemented than social links.

semisonic

Banned
That's in japan. I'm talking the worldwide, and moreover US market. How many p4 fans have you met who know what order to play p2 in, or who have even talked about p1 and 2.
In the trailer they've already brought demons back as enemies. Unless its just for modelling purposes for future SMT games, there has to be a reason for it. Unless they're just gonna ignore demons in general and just call them shadows.

That's actually not out of the question right now.
We gotta wait for more details.

Top Bottom