• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Best Friends Thread 17: I don't have Bloodborne or Monster Hunter... Uhh...

Status
Not open for further replies.
3 whole days of no videos to watch. I was expecting them to at least split up the Life is Strange episodes.

Edit: aha I finally finished the podcast and Liam said the next few days would just be LiS.

I thought they learned earlier about the insight-frenzy relationship. Oh well.

Why are they hoarding insight in the first place?

They were hoping, as many people were, that there were more cool things to discover from having high Insight. Keep in mind they're trying not to spoil themselves on things too much, so they probably just got a general recommendation of, "You need high Insight to not miss a few things in the game".

Most people don't really play around with Insight much on their first playthrough, though. The Frenzy Resistance doesn't matter for most of the game, and most people don't experiment much with Beasthood. (Totally should, though. This weird half-baked mechanic feels like a vestigial piece of an even more extreme design direction for the combat in terms of aggression. Like they had originally gone a bit overboard encouraging players to be super aggressive and ended up dialing it back after playtesting.)

"GRRRRRRR I WAS EATING THOSE BEANS!"

Bill-Hader-Laughing.gif

Anyone have the Pedophile Pat shops? I really don't remember those around that time... You can't escape your past Pat.

Wow I'm almost glad that I didn't do the first sidequest on the list. Fuck that trouble of going into Q's house.

The Devil Dog was fucking great. Its cool to stumble across that. I didn't wait till midnight so it was really cool to see the transition.

I can't believe I missed that cool piece of Billy lore!
Nodding off at 120mph is fucking insane... I should really try out Smash bros. music when I go on long road trips now...

Anyone have the Pedophile Pat shops? I really don't remember those around that time... You can't escape your past Pat.

Why do we need to photoshop this? Isn't that just Pat?
:p

Bloodborne Ep 42 -
Time to explore Yahar'gul agai-Nope. I completely missed the stairs in The One Reborn's arena, One-shot Woolie strikes again.

Bloodborne Ep 43 -
So back into the Lecture building and onward to the Nightmare Frontier. They missed the other lecture theatre, was there anything useful in that? Perhaps if they remember to go help Eileen they can get some frenzy gear. At this speed they might even get to
Micolash next episode and keep up with him because of their thick stamina bar.

This is really telling of how much exBlizzard writing and 3d art talent is in the workforce
for a good chunk of that trailer I thought I was watching some machinima video for Ulduar (friend linked it to me blind)

A truly absurd amount, yeah. The churn at Blizzard for non-senior talent during the last generation was unreal.

Jintor

super best friends thread seems like the place to ask - any of you know any decent 2d metroivania/brawlers? like a fighting game, but also a metroidvania. i'm fiddling around with Abyss Odyssey, was poking at Valdis City but don't like it very much, and have Guacamelee on Vita (I think). Aside from that, need more examples.

super best friends thread seems like the place to ask - any of you know any decent 2d metroivania/brawlers? like a fighting game, but also a metroidvania. i'm fiddling around with Abyss Odyssey, was poking at Valdis City but don't like it very much, and have Guacamelee on Vita (I think). Aside from that, need more examples.

I personally enjoyed Dust: An Elysian Tale quite a bit.

demidar

I hear Mortal Kombat Mythologies is good
:p

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol

Hey Jintor, been awhile!

Let's see...someone recommended Gekido Advance for the GBA to me the other day when I was asking about the same sort of game. Haven't played it yet, but planning on it. Also, I like Legend of Dungeon. It's more of a roguelike brawler than a Metroidvania, but it's still pretty good. It's pretty simple, combat-wise, but the exploration and such is good.
Oh, and there's Crimson Tears for PS2. That'd actually be the best one, I think. Again, a little more of a roguelike, with randomly generated areas, but the fighting system is solid and the RPG mechanics are pretty good too. If you've ever played the quest mode in Ehrgeiz, it's basically that but expanded and in a futuristic setting (it's from the same developer).

I'm with you, though. There need to be more of these. Specifically, there needs to be one REALLY good one we can point to when people ask about this sort of game. Honestly I'm surprised it doesn't exist yet.

Muramasa is the only thing I can think of that's even remotely like that. Got a combo system + level up with branching areas and exploring.

Muramasa is the only thing I can think of that's even remotely like that. Got a combo system + level up with branching areas and exploring.

I can vouch for this. But you don't really learn new skills/movements to advance, you kinda just get a different coloured blade to break through barriers. So it's a lame form of progression.

Yeah I can kinda see what Pat means when he complains about the whole town. I really like listening to York about Movies I barely know about while driving, but he runs out of dialogue too fast... I'm really surprised at the LP for being really entertaining when most of the LP is just dicking around.

>Added a “blood chunk” item to the insight store (it will appear after playing the game up to a point). It costs 30 Insight.

Wow so giving

Well, they also added Chunks to level-appropriate Chalice Dungeons, so the sum effect is actually reasonably generous, at least compared to the "go kick dirt and farm werewolves, scrub" solution of before.

If you do Chalices you should end up with as many Chunks as you'll ever need between the drops and the absurd amount of extra Insight you end up with.

Well, they also added Chunks to level-appropriate Chalice Dungeons, so the sum effect is actually reasonably generous, at least compared to the "go kick dirt and farm werewolves, scrub" solution of before.

If you do Chalices you should end up with as many Chunks as you'll ever need between the drops and the absurd amount of extra Insight you end up with.
Chalice Dungeons need to not be terrible first

That'd be nice, but to be fair if you aren't doing Chalices it's less of a problem, since you're only going to have one Blood Rock per NG+ cycle, and more than enough Chunks per NG+ cycle to get a weapon to +9. The main problem before was that Chalice Dungeons actually made Blood Rocks more common than Chunks.

MrHoot

Does how much insight you have affect the ending or anything?

Nope. Only how
much umbilical cords you get.

They'll get one at the end of Mensis, but they'll need to remember where to get the other one

They'll have to go see the prostitute in the chapel and kill a slug baby

Wow, Nightmare of Mensis proves to be an even tougher challenge that I thought for Patsworth. Doesn't help that Pat's been scrubbing it hard =p

That clutch Hunter kill was pretty sweet though.

kewlmyc

Wow, Nightmare of Mensis proves to be an even tougher challenge that I thought for Patsworth. Doesn't help that Pat's been scrubbing it hard =p

That clutch Hunter kill was pretty sweet though.

Of course it is. They crippling themselves with 99 insight.
They haven't even reached the bridge with all the singing brain heads yet.

The playthrough is getting better though. However, Pat saying that that the BB LP is bad on the podcast is kinda funny and depressing at the same time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom