• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Best Friends Thread 17: I don't have Bloodborne or Monster Hunter... Uhh...

Status
Not open for further replies.
What Toei animated Transformers, damn I for some reason thought that was animated in america.
There's a weird overlap in art styles between certain anime and american cartoons during that time in the 80s, before things started to splinter off again a decade later.

I always knew that some Gen 1 Transformers were designed in Japan originally (thank the creator of Macross for Convoy/Optimus Prime), though admittedly Toei actually animating the original show is news to me suprisingly.

Laputa_94

There's a weird overlap in art styles between certain anime and american cartoons during that time in the 80s, before things started to splinter off again a decade later.

I always knew that some Gen 1 Transformers were designed in Japan originally (thank the creator of Macross for Convoy/Optimus Prime), though admittedly Toei actually animating the original show is news to me suprisingly.

The American/Japanese collaborations in animation I never learned about till recently when I heared about shows like Voltron. The creator of Macross designed Optimus eh, more reason for me to eventually watch Macross since I keep hearing from Woolie and anime gaf of how hype it is.

The American/Japanese collaborations in animation I never learned about till recently when I heared about shows like Voltron. The creator of Macross designed Optimus eh, more reason for me to eventually watch Macross since I keep hearing from Woolie and anime gaf of how hype it is.
I find Macross to be a very YMMV franchise. Macross Plus is pretty accessible to everyone, but the rest depend a lot on whether you can tolerate idols, Kawamori's environmentalism, and music being super integrated into your sci-fi action shows.

Laputa_94

I find Macross to be a very YMMV franchise. Macross Plus is pretty accessible to everyone, but the rest depend a lot on whether you can tolerate idols, Kawamori's environmentalism, and music being super integrated into your sci-fi action shows.

Sounds like something I can handle, I am currently on a super robot kick (partly due to mechaweek and me watching gundam at the same time) so I might cue it up after I finish Mazinger Z.

CGOVEJYUQAAqf77.png

What Toei animated Transformers, damn I for some reason thought that was animated in america.

Most American shows aren't actually animated in America. Even King of the Hill, probably the most "American" looking thing I can think of, was farmed out almost entirely to Korean animation studios for the frame-by-frame work.

Usually when people say a cartoon is "American" they mean the style guides and model sheets were done by American artists, and an American director has last say in whether or not the animation cells are up to snuff, not so much that the actual cells were drawn in America. That's always been more of an "animation sweatshop" type of situation, at least up until the advent of digital animation.

... Just going to slip back into the group...

Macross Plus the Watanabe[Cowboy Bebop creator] series? Cause I really liked that.
I want to get deeper into Macross.

Skrams

Only caught a little of the SF Let's Watch and I'll watch the archive later today or something. Some good shit from what I saw. Good job internet on that chun li image.

Sorry if I came off kinda harsh, been having arguments with people who really hate Chloe and had to explain it like 12 times.
It's completely fine. I'm floating around high annoyance with her. I don't think my dislike is strong enough to be called hate. I just completely understand her situation, but I really wish she could step back to calm down. It's just me wanting her to "grow up," but I realize the attitude I would want her to have won't come until way later. Either later in the game or later in life. It's just one of those things where she needs to have more life experience and learn more about herself or how the world works to understand her situation completely. Her teen angst could be called cliche I guess, but it's completely justified probably. It's one of those things where they wrote her exactly as they wanted to I'd assume which in turn makes me dislike her character because she's kind of supposed to be disliked by a certain group of people. If I were more understanding and forgiving I'd probably like her I think? I mostly just find her tiring and that's probably my fault. I'm not surprised a lot of people find it tiring though since most people just get tired of teen drama at a certain point in life. I suspect this next episode to give me a completely new viewpoint on her considering the situation. Hopefully it makes me like her more since different viewpoints and all that.

Only caught a little of the SF Let's Watch and I'll watch the archive later today or something. Some good shit from what I saw. Good job internet on that chun li image.

It's completely fine. I'm floating around high annoyance with her. I don't think my dislike is strong enough to be called hate. I just completely understand her situation, but I really wish she could step back to calm down. It's just me wanting her to "grow up," but I realize the attitude I would want her to have won't come until way later. Either later in the game or later in life. It's just one of those things where she needs to have more life experience and learn more about herself or how the world works to understand her situation completely. Her teen angst could be called cliche I guess, but it's completely justified probably. It's one of those things where they wrote her exactly as they wanted to I'd assume which in turn makes me dislike her character because she's kind of supposed to be disliked by a certain group of people. If I were more understanding and forgiving I'd probably like her I think? I mostly just find her tiring and that's probably my fault. I'm not surprised a lot of people find it tiring though since most people just get tired of teen drama at a certain point in life. I suspect this next episode to give me a completely new viewpoint on her considering the situation. Hopefully it makes me like her more since different viewpoints and all that.

Chloe is definitely a trope of the teen drama genre. She's intentionally meant to make the player/Max uncomfortable. Chloe has all kinds of emotional problems but they are needed for the story to go someplace.

A lot of this game is teen drama dialed up to 11, which is why I give it a pass of the cringy dialogue. Teens say and do a lot of stupid shit.

But man do I love the 180 the game took at the end of Ep. 3. I'm really disappointed DontNod isn't doing more of these kinds of narrative driven games. That engine and a decent story and they can do magic.

Chloe is definitely a trope of the teen drama genre. She's intentionally meant to make the player/Max uncomfortable. Chloe has all kinds of emotional problems but they are needed for the story to go someplace.

A lot of this game is teen drama dialed up to 11, which is why I give it a pass of the cringy dialogue. Teens say and do a lot of stupid shit.

But man do I love the 180 the game took at the end of Ep. 3. I'm really disappointed DontNod isn't doing more of these kinds of narrative driven games. That engine and a decent story and they can do magic.
I just hope she isn't
a hackneyed handicapped stereotype. There's a very thin line between unbearable and sympathetic.

Skrams

Bloodborne Part 45- Bloodgems please. That 18% physical attack boost is just sitting there. Funny that Pat remembered the barking thing too. A little surprised they're having trouble with the boss, but eh. Mostly just a lot of fuck ups.

I'm not really annoyed at her being a trope or anything. If I were annoyed at things being tropes then a good 99% of media would be shit to me. Of course she has to have problems because otherwise the story would be nothing.

I don't hang out around a lot of teens either, but I don't think many of them say fuck you selfie or sadface. If they do then god why. Of course they do regular stupid shit too. That's Chloe's character and since I understand that I can't find it in myself to truly hate her.

Also surprisingly a game on not the telltale engine works perfectly fine. It's almost like story games shouldn't randomly wipe your save after a new episode comes out or something. Only problem is the Unreal 3 texture pop in that I always find distracting. You'd think people would find a way to hide that pop in by focusing on a different object or having the screen be black before showing the world or something. I'm no game developer though so maybe I'm just wrong.

I'm not really annoyed at her being a trope or anything. If I were annoyed at things being tropes then a good 99% of media would be shit to me. Of course she has to have problems because otherwise the story would be nothing.

I don't hang out around a lot of teens either, but I don't think many of them say fuck you selfie or sadface. If they do then god why. Of course they do regular stupid shit too. That's Chloe's character and since I understand that I can't find it in myself to truly hate her.

Also surprisingly a game on not the telltale engine works perfectly fine. It's almost like story games shouldn't randomly wipe your save after a new episode comes out or something. Only problem is the Unreal 3 texture pop in that I always find distracting. You'd think people would find a way to hide that pop in by focusing on a different object or having the screen be black before showing the world or something. I'm no game developer though so maybe I'm just wrong.

Arkham City had pretty bad texture pop-ins during some cutscenes.

The Pop-in is specific to the engine. You see the same thing in games like Uncharted/TLOU.

Skrams

What's Coming Out in June? Youtube link

Site Link

Liam needs to keep editing these What's Coming Out? videos. This is way better than the last two because nepnep.

Arkham City had pretty bad texture pop-ins during some cutscenes.
Yeah, you'd think after a whole generation of using the engine people would learn how to compensate for it, but I guess that takes more work to hide than just letting it do it's thing for a few seconds to load in the textures.
The Pop-in is specific to the engine. You see the same thing in games like Uncharted/TLOU.
I know that? That's why I said Unreal 3 pop in. Also uh, Uncharted and TLOU aren't Unreal 3. They also don't have many texture pop in problems as far as I can remember. I'm pretty sure they get around that heavily in those games by having a very long load on start up of the game. It's just a common unreal problem like in literally every other Unreal 3 game.

Time to throw out all my May games now. "What's comming out in..." is the best! It's always nice to see the varied games that they recommend in the upcoming month. Time to pick up NepNep

Skrams

Oh my god whoever edited "What's Coming Out In June" is amazing. This video editing is amaaaazzziiiiinnnnggggg.

It's Liam. We all know it's Liam.

June will be D4, P4 DAN import, and DMC4 SE for me. Superhot and Yoshi's Wooly World if those somehow release this month. It's weird how Yoshi has been June for Europe for a bit now, but there's no information for anyone else. I assume E3 will clear that up.

That Khalot thing looks super interesting though. Reminds me of Penumbra and Cryostasis kind of. Batman seems like a thing I should try just to see if anything at all is different.

No, as someone who was a Sega house for a long time, this game hits all the right buttons.
That's cool. I was a (S)NES kid who became Dreamcast/Gamecube kid and played most Genesis games in collections and stuff down the line.

Glad the game does hit those types of buttons. Shovel Knight blows my mind with my classic MegaMan/Vania love.

I find it strange they really compared it to Shovel Knight watching this, but I don't have much Genesis nostalgia. Maybe it kicks in more.

To be honest it's not quite on the quality level of Shovel Knight, but at least they got enough Rocket Knight in there to make it better than it could have been. You still probably need some Sonic 1-3 nostalgia to make it "work", though, unlike Shovel Knight (which is honestly just such a good-ass game that even kids who never touched an NES seem to like it).

Super Best Friends Thread 18: Witcher 3 will be great Pat said, Im just playing FFXIV till its out he said

and then he plays some damn MMO instead(not part of the thread title)

To be honest it's not quite on the quality level of Shovel Knight, but at least they got enough Rocket Knight in there to make it better than it could have been. You still probably need some Sonic 1-3 nostalgia to make it "work", though, unlike Shovel Knight (which is honestly just such a good-ass game that even kids who never touched an NES seem to like it).
I met this kid named Brady at a summer camp I was interning, and he would not put down his 3ds and shovel knight.

Alfebit

Banned
Ugghhhh, why they gotta remind me DMC4SE is still 24 days away.

Freedom Planet looks pretty cool. The characters looking like someone's Sonic OC do not steal kinda ruins it for me tho.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom