• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Best Friends Thread 17: I don't have Bloodborne or Monster Hunter... Uhh...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Never played the other 2 and I'm not really interested. I also only have a limited amount of cash to spend on games and I sure as fuck ain't missing out on Vergil for Geoffrey.

well when you do have the cash you should play all 3
the first 2 are really good though the combat in 1 is a bit outdated

demidar

Never played the other 2 and I'm not really interested. I also only have a limited amount of cash to spend on games and I sure as fuck ain't missing out on Vergil for Geoffrey.

Just play 3, you don't need to know what happened in 2. It's also both 60+ hours AND good!

I don't really see much of a genesis game here, looks like something that would be on the saturn with all the 2D stuff and layers going on.
I think it's more in terms of the color palette and the fact there wasn't a proper Sonic game on the Saturn. Plus Gunstar Heroes. And I enjoy the ever loving fuck out of Gunstar Heroes.

Retro throwback titles are always strange because even though they try to emulate the feel of a particular era they end doing things that would never have been possible during that time. Hell, VVVVVV is designed to look like a C64 game but no way in hell that would be able to run on the original hardware. It's more about the inspiration in the end, which it's certainly taking a ton of from old school 2D Sega, and I like what I saw with the start of this LP.

Can I just wiki synopsis my way through the other 2?

Honestly, you're probably better off doing that. The games are based on books, but the books aren't fully covered by the games, so you're probably going to be more cognizant of what's going in if you wiki-source it than if you actually play the games.

It's kind of funny to me that Pat likes Jerry. I guess shit-tier 90's Wolverine-style "kitchen sink" Gary Stu's are okay, even if Superman isn't.

Honestly, you're probably better off doing that. The games are based on books, but the books aren't fully covered by the games, so you're probably going to be more cognizant of what's going in if you wiki-source it than if you actually play the games.

It's kind of funny to me that Pat likes Jerry. I guess shit-tier 90's Wolverine-style "kitchen sink" Gary Stu's are okay, even if Superman isn't.

Geralt was brought back to life by sacrifice though
not Bullshit like Superman

Geralt was brought back to life by sacrifice though
not Bullshit like Superman

I know, like I said, he's 90's Wolverine, not Superman.

For those that don't know: the 90's was when they decided Wolverine was the best thing ever, so they just started spazzing out stories about how he was James Bond/Hanzo Hattori/Rambo/Captain America and constantly trying to re-frame his powers to make them better or more powerful to justify putting him in cosmic-level events (we're talking teaming him up with Silver Surfer and the Hulk, here), making everyone somehow related to his backstory as a "rival"/old friend, etc.

That's kind of Geralt to me. I know there have been a lot of books and games at this point, but 3's really starting to buckle under the weight of how hard the story has to suck Jerry's dick.

NCR Redslayer

NeoGAF's Vegeta

For those that don't know: the 90's was when they decided Wolverine was the best thing ever, so they just started spazzing out stories about how he was James Bond/Hanzo Hattori/Rambo/Captain America and constantly trying to re-frame his powers to make them better or more powerful to justify putting him in cosmic-level events (we're talking teaming him up with Silver Surfer and the Hulk, here), making everyone somehow related to his backstory as a "rival"/old friend, etc.

That's kind of Geralt to me. I know there have been a lot of books and games at this point, but 3's really starting to buckle under the weight of how hard the story has to suck Jerry's dick.
That being said, we still got the best Wolverine comic, Old Man Logan.

thing is i dont mind as i like Geralt as a character
that being said i wouldnt mind a female protagonist for the next games in the universe of The Witcher

thing is i dont mind as i like Geralt as a character
that being said i wouldnt mind a female protagonist for the next games in the universe of The Witcher

Yeah, admittedly he's not quite as bad as all of that. The localization team did a really solid job with the dialogue, too, which helps.

f05a72ad1c.png
Well then

Viliger

To be honest it's not quite on the quality level of Shovel Knight, but at least they got enough Rocket Knight in there to make it better than it could have been. You still probably need some Sonic 1-3 nostalgia to make it "work", though, unlike Shovel Knight (which is honestly just such a good-ass game that even kids who never touched an NES seem to like it).
Ye, its not quality levels of Shovel Knight, this game shits all over Shovel Knight. I still don't get what people find in SK. Yeah, it's good as retro platformer, but it's easy (aside from last boss), it doesn't use it's own trinket system aside from challenge levels and occasional shortcut, music, while good, not up to MM2 and MM3 levels and certainly not up to Freedom Planet levels. Maybe I am just nostalgic over Genesis games and not that much NES games, because, well, I never had MM nor Castlevania during my childhood. But I am sure as fuck played the shit out of S3&K.
I am saddened that Shovel Knight gets all the attention, while games like Freedom Planet and Cloudbuilt go under the radar. Thankfully, FP will get SGDQ treatment this year, while Cloudbuilt will be sadly forgotten. Both of them get two things right - speed and difficulty. FP was way, WAY harder on release, some time later they nerfed the difficulty and I believe added casual mode. I finished the game before this patch, boy Brevon was hard.

I just now really looked at the Bloodborne info graphics, and man are those things fucking stellar. The "Gaskwang count" is my personal favorite part.

according to twitter the Skullgirls devs themselves said theyd give permission to allow the video
so that should negate any take down notice that occured

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom