• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Best Friends Thread 7: FRIENDER65

Status
Not open for further replies.
Those dancing gifs sure did a good number on my phone, good on PG for putting studying above posting, I can't study for more than 5 minutes without getting bored or distracted

"I tripped and fell face first into a pile of cocaine. Hey guys, did you know cocaine is really good? I don't know why I ever cleaned myself up!"

200_s.gif

Glad I never got into WoW. It seems like the type of game built for addiction.

So I tripped and landed face first back into WoW. May god have mercy on my yada yada it's good.

I'm still on the edge of buying it simply for the story from 90-100. Thankfully I have FF14 keeping me away from it.

At least FF is a good MMO without that crack addiction mentality.

Soul sacrifice and Soul Sacrifice Delta are separate games, right? Because SSD isn't available anywhere in my entire country or anywhere else aside from Amazon (which is a no-go for now).

I believe Delta is just the original game with more content. Similar to Guacamelee Super Ultra Turbo Ed. or whatever.

demidar

Playing the game, I've heard a lot of mixed things about it. It seems to be just worse than RE4 in every way. Granted I haven't played it yet.

Thus begins the fall of Shinji Mikami.

Honestly it's a shame that the game came out so mixed, but AFAIK he never wanted to do the game in the first place.

croten

Thus begins the fall of Shinji Mikami.

Honestly it's a shame that the game came out so mixed, but AFAIK he never wanted to do the game in the first place.

Yeah it's a pity. Eventually Bethesda will fire him and he'll be left on the streets. Cold. Alone. but then, one day a man walks up to him and tells him he can relive his glory days. And thus Hideki Kamiya brings Shinji Mekami to Platinum Games and continue to make the greatest games ever made.

Honestly from just watching some streamers and a few video of the game here and there, the game looks fine. Not perfect by any means but it looks like a perfectly acceptable and most importantly, fun, game.

I've seen some comments from people saying things like "the worst survival horror game ever made" and "it's just a RE4 ripoff" and I just get super upset. People need to stop having such raging nostalgia boners for every god damn game they played when they were kids and just enjoy video games for what they are.

360pages

Honestly from just watching some streamers and a few video of the game here and there, the game looks fine. Not perfect by any means but it looks like a perfectly acceptable and most importantly, fun, game.

I've seen some comments from people saying things like "the worst survival horror game ever made" and "it's just a RE4 ripoff" and I just get super upset. People need to stop having such raging nostalgia boners for every god damn game they played when they were kids and just enjoy video games for what they are.

True, but outside the art desgin the game really is just RE4 with stealth elements, it doesn't make it a horrible game by any means. But if you don't care for the art direction and the gameplay is a worse version of a game that's available everywhere else...

The game isn't bad by any means though.

demidar

Yeah it's a pity. Eventually Bethesda will fire him and he'll be left on the streets. Cold. Alone. but then, one day a man walks up to him and tells him he can relive his glory days. And thus Hideki Kamiya brings Shinji Mekami to Platinum Games and continue to make the greatest games ever made.

Goddamn it Bethesda, you are just shitting up everything.

I'm only half serious.

True, but outside the art desgin the game really is just RE4 with stealth elements, it doesn't make it a horrible game by any means. But if you don't care for the art direction and the gameplay is a worse version of a game that's available everywhere else...

The game isn't bad by any means though.

I'm sure The Evil Within is a perfectly fine game, but expectations are high since Mikami has produced a fair amount of masterpieces.

This pisses me off so much that there are gamers that think Shinji Mikami is a ripoff... Of Shinji Mikami.

Fuck those gamers. They put me in a real foul mood.

To me it just seems like Mikami is trying to make RE4 again without really updating it for modern systems. It didn't seem to have anything new, it's not a rip off, but it didn't innovate.

To me it just seems like Mikami is trying to make RE4 again without really updating it for modern systems. It didn't seem to have anything new, it's not a rip off, but it didn't innovate.

I know this is a bit of a cop out answer, but why change what isn't broken? I don't recall this game being marketed as something that would change the way that we would think about survival horror or anything like that.

It's a Shinji Mikami game. What else did people expect? I sure hope it's not a case of how Liam was with Smash in wanting Ganondorf to stay the same, then being upset when he was in the game exactly how he wanted him and complained he wanted something different.

In other news, I'm about to upgrade my video card on the cheap and I'm thinking about picking this up.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...-na-_-na&cm_sp=&AID=10446076&PID=3938566&SID=

Any suggestions on potential better deals for more performance would be much appreciated as I don't know the ins and outs of this thing enough to comb through the hundreds of cards with similar names and wildly varying prices. I have a budget of under $200.

croten

I know this is a bit of a cop out answer, but why change what isn't broken? I don't recall this game being marketed as something that would change the way that we would think about survival horror or anything like that.

It's a Shinji Mikami game. What else did people expect? I sure hope it's not a case of how Liam was with Smash in wanting Ganondorf to stay the same, then being upset when he was in the game exactly how he wanted him and complained he wanted something different.

In other news, I'm about to upgrade my video card on the cheap and I'm thinking about picking this up.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...-na-_-na&cm_sp=&AID=10446076&PID=3938566&SID=

Any suggestions on potential better deals for more performance would be much appreciated as I don't know the ins and outs of this thing enough to comb through the hundreds of cards with similar names and wildly varying prices. I have a budget of under $200 and I prefer Radeon over Nvidia so please don't start a war over which brand is better. -.-'

Well the problem is that people wanted it to be the successor to RE4, which wasn't wrong to think, but in the end it's just a worse version of a game made 10 years ago.

Well the problem is that people wanted it to be the successor to RE4, which wasn't wrong to think, but in the end it's just a worse version of a game made 10 years ago.

This is exactly what I mean. People need to stop comparing games that have nothing to do with each other in the sense that it's not an actual sequel.

I can understand people complaining that RE5/6 wasn't as good as 4 because hey, that's the same franchise. Same with Dark Souls 1 and 2. However, The Evil Within is it's own thing and while it does share some parallels with RE4 (some strikingly so), it's not RE4 and people need to get over that fact.

croten

This is exactly what I mean. People need to stop comparing games that have nothing to do with each other in the sense that it's not an actual sequel.

I can understand people complaining that RE5/6 wasn't as good as 4 because hey, that's the same franchise. Same with Dark Souls 1 and 2. However, The Evil Within is it's own thing and while it does share some parallels with RE4 (some strikingly so), it's not RE4 and people need to get over that fact.

Well no, the games are both similar enough that the comparison makes sense. Demons and Dark Souls aren't sequels but people compare the two all the time, it's the exact same thing here

Well no, the games are both similar enough that the comparison makes sense. Demons and Dark Souls aren't sequels but people compare the two all the time, it's the exact same thing here

It's a very mixed bag when it comes to this sort of thing because I can try to compare things like Final Fantasy X to Final Fantasy XIV when they're not even close to the same genre.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
I haven't played The Evil Within yet, but if it's an unrelated property, I don't think it's appropriate to treat it like a sequel to RE4. One shouldn't necessarily expect elements of RE4 to make it into The Evil Within, nor should there be expectations of an evolution of RE4 in The Evil Within.

At the same time, it's within the same genre, there are obvious influences to RE4, and it's by the same director. That's going to encourage comparisons. I feel like comparisons are valid, but expectations related to RE4 shouldn't necessarily be a set floor for standards. You still have different teams, different budgets, different goals, and competitive influence.

I didn't go in expecting the game to scare me, so I wasn't disappointed.

Truly, unless you're a baby then most games anymore won't scare you unless it's stupid ass jump scares. It's more that atmosphere of the game that can really drag you into the moment and from some of the scenes I've seen from this game it has some great moments of that type of thing.

Tales of Hearts is filling me with feelings that I haven't felt in years. That feeling of going to sleep wanting to keep playing, only to wake up continuing to want to play it every second I wake up.

It's the first time I've really liked videogames since like, FF10 or Persona 4.

demidar

I haven't played The Evil Within yet, but if it's an unrelated property, I don't think it's appropriate to treat it like a sequel to RE4. One shouldn't necessarily expect elements of RE4 to make it into The Evil Within, nor should there be expectations of an evolution of RE4 in The Evil Within.

At the same time, it's within the same genre, there are obvious influences to RE4, and it's by the same director. That's going to encourage comparisons. I feel like comparisons are valid, but expectations related to RE4 shouldn't necessarily be a set floor for standards.

I disagree, the term "spiritual sequel" exists for a reason, and that reason is usually mired in politics and licensing. It is why a person can compare Dark Souls with Demon's Souls, Bloodbourne and even Lords of the Fallen. It's why people can compare Battlefield post-2 with CoD post-4. System Shocks to the Bioshocks. There are enough elements that are common to both to allow for meaningful comparisons. It would be very strange for a creator to not try and improve on their previous work, mechanically and design-wise.

Squishy3

Tales of Hearts is filling me with feelings that I haven't felt in years. That feeling of going to sleep wanting to keep playing, only to wake up continuing to want to play it every second I wake up.

Shame the translation is utter shit. Hey video game companies who use 8-4 for localization. Keep them on the entire project because they know what the fuck they're doing.

Listen to the 8-4 Play podcast too

croten

That's what I've been like with Binding of Isaac

Squishy3

The Evil Within really is a great game, and I can see why some people wouldn't like it, but there are very few actually terrible bits except for a certain boss fight near the end of the game and a final arena standoff with enemies. But that's only because I had very low resources during those two specific instances, which is just frustrating when you know how to beat the encounters but can't do it because you ran out of ammo. Although the boss fight has a way to regain ammo in it, it still takes forever because you have to farm the method to regain ammo.

The setup for TEW is unique enough and the way the story actually affects the gameplay is awesome. I fucking loved all the questions the ending posed, because it's like "OKAY I THINK I KNOW WHAT'S GOI- WAIT WHAT"

Shame the translation is utter shit. Hey video game companies who use 8-4 for localization. Keep them on the entire project because they know what the fuck they're doing.

Listen to the 8-4 Play podcast too

Yeah, it's a real shame about the translation. Having a cursory knowledge of the Japanese language really shows just what has been changed. It's having this weird effect where I'm learning more about Japanese because of having to pay attention to the differences "Alright, they said peanuts, so that dick joke was at least there originally."

One guy in the OT said it felt like they were translating for a dub then didn't get a dub, and that rings true with every second I play. I even noticed a typo, which is kinda weird.

It's a real shame because I think 8-4 is probably the second best translation team next to Atlus' in house team, which is pretty fucking high praise.

I've listened a couple times but never with any consistency.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom