• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Smash Bros. for 3DS & Wii U DLC |OT2| Lucas comes out of Nowhere!

For what it's worth Nair's utility has nothing to do with how safe it is, it's so good because he has 3 air jumps that are the perfect height for feinting it. You're forced to either eat through your own shield or just guess when/if he'll actually commit every time he leaves the ground.

He still sucks against characters with the mobility to meet him in the air but there are a lot of situations for a lot of characters where that's not an option. Even for characters who do have that option, it's not an easy thing to do on reaction if you're not familiar with the matchup.

Obviously I'm not gonna sit here and tell you Dedede is OP but any character that forces you to be defensive by doing basically nothing is going to seem that way to weaker players.

Oh absolutely, nair is definitely a great move. But, like you said, that's more because of the combination with 4 airjumps and feints and not so much because of the move itself. But yeah, I love his nair. Fastfall nair combined with Dededes weight catches a lot of people off guard who are not familiar with the matchup.

Okay peoples, I want to learn someone new. I'll probably suck playing as that character, but I think getting out of my comfort zone can only be good for my development. So who should I pick up? Maybe someone very aggressive like Falcon? Any ideas?

Looking for a fox figure?
tKfvLZa.jpg

JulianImp

Okay peoples, I want to learn someone new. I'll probably suck playing as that character, but I think getting out of my comfort zone can only be good for my development. So who should I pick up? Maybe someone very aggressive like Falcon? Any ideas?

Join me on my quest to try and make Pac-Man work! He's a character who can play keepaway and anoy you with bonus fruits, but his kill options all require some setting up or good reads.

Overly aggressive characters such as Falcon would probably work for you, or maybe you could go for someone like Ganon who requires you to bring the fight and pick your moves carefully to punish but avoid being punished yourself.

dedede_swag.gif

You know you want to.

But seriously, why not try out some characters you have almost no experience with and see if you like any of them? It won't do much good if you just play whoever we tell you to, you should play who you like to play as.

Beats

The answer lies in the heart of battle.

Pick Ryu.

Thulius

I don't really know who you play outside of Fox/Doc, but I'd pick someone on the opposite end of the spectrum, someone very defensive. Bowser/Charizard/Mewtwo/Ganondorf/Ike, I dunno. Someone with no safe zoning tools that regularly has to sit in their shield waiting for their opponent to make a mistake. Your defense will improve, you'll think harder about your available options and you'll have a much better understanding of why characters that get to press lots of buttons aren't actually that difficult in this game.

Also the world doesn't need any more Falcon players so there's that too.

We can always use more Mega Mains around these parts. <3

Plus, the way he plays and what you have to do to be good with him are certainly unorthodox as far as Smash is concerned, which addresses the "getting out of your comfort zone" part!

One great Dedede player doesn't make the character OP though. I mean, I agree with you, I think he's underrated and definitely not low tier, but any of those points of why he's supposed to be OP are ridiculous.
His recovery is good but very predictable. He's heavy but slow and gets juggled by utilts by half the cast. His Fsmash is strong but you'll only ever land it off a hard read or by luck. Nair is punishable with shield, as are all his aerials. And lol at his moves being not laggy.
One great Dedede player is all you need to prove the character is good.

That said, I don't think he is OP. I don't GET Gordos, though.

Just saw this Mega Man combo video and I am utterly floored. God, how I wish I was this good.

I love how he drops off the edge to Slash Claw the poor fools who have no chance of recovering anyway just because he can. Total disrespect.

That four- or five-Flame Sword combo near the end is great too. This guy has total mastery of this character.

So Sakurai talked about his history with fighters on Famitsu and it has been translated courtesy of Source Gaming:
The day I first saw a &#8220;Street Fighter II&#8221; arcade cabinet installed in my local arcade, I thought to myself, What is this!? A machine with two screens, each facing towards a seated player, designed so you can play against an unseen opponent, a design that persists today. If you lose, your one play is over, if you win, you get to keep playing. The tension I felt when playing against a stranger for the first time was incomparable to when I played my friends, and my heart started to race. This is groundbreaking![1] I felt as if a new way of playing games had introduced itself into arcades. This was over ten years ago.

A little time passed since then, to a time where I felt the fighting game [2] boom had leveled off a bit. I was slightly aimlessly playing &#8220;King of Fighters &#8216;95&#8221; when someone joined me, playing on the other side. Despite feeling that I&#8217;d really want to just play alone..the fight was on! I landed my moves cleanly, and quickly took the first two games. One more team member to go and victory was mine!...

You can keep reading at the link. I find it interesting how Sakurai apparently created Smash Bros. as his attempt at a fighting game that is friendly to newcomers despite how skilled the opposition may be. Mainly, that it's no fun to get mercilessly destroyed when you're playing casually, and that you shouldn't have to research movelists to get something out of the game when in Smash Bros. every character shares the same inputs for all attacks.

Discussion? Thoughts?

Edit: Should also mention this was written back in '04 apparently.

Actually I prefer it. Get some practice on a lot of my bad matchups as well as it keeps things interesting.

Well I appreciate the Zelda practice. Not many here play her. The fight of Zelda vs. Zelda was close. What were the bad match ups of the characters I picked? I can guess DK and Mario bros.

Cronox

Banned
NAKAT posted his Lucas guide. Probably as in depth as anything you'll see for a bit, though I haven't finished watching it yet myself.

Edit: Finished. Yeah, I doubt we'll see a better guide for a long time, if ever. I would have liked a bit more talk about his b reverse moves, but that's it. And of course mixing the talking higher than the music...

Mario, Luigi, Link, DK, Rosalina, Mac, Peach, Zelda, Wario

Those I consider my bad matchups that you picked.

I did so bad with Wario xD I am surprised I did well with Rosalina, but I can see how she is a bad opponent for Zelda. How is Zelda a bad match up for Zelda? Do you just mean personally?

I did so bad with Wario xD I am surprised I did well with Rosalina, but I can see how she is a bad opponent for Zelda. How is Zelda a bad match up for Zelda? Do you just mean personally?

Just personally, the ditto battle always throws me off lol.

Not enough Zelda's to practice a ditto lol

Top Bottom