• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Smash Bros. for 3DS & Wii U DLC |OT2| Lucas comes out of Nowhere!

Robiin

Isn't it weird that it's so hard to find good Smash 4 gameplay even though the game is massive
Yeah, the tournament scene is apparently blooming, but I never see good players streaming, and I only have like 8 Youtube subscriptions for Smash 4 (Zero, Esam, Jtails, Hooded, Trifroze, fallnaway, Nakat, Izaw and My Smash Corner) and all of them are putting up fewer videos nowadays. Anyone I'm missing?

Edit: Forgot Rush Hour Smash, which is actually very good for guides and videos.

JulianImp

I forgot Pac-Man exists again.

Sorry Julian ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I don't think I've improved in at least a month. Avoiding things is easy sometimes. But I have no luck approaching.

So cold... was my Pac-Man so bad that your brain wiped your memories of playing against him?

I guess I'll be using him a bit more now, since I realized that using any other character too often results in my Pac-Man play getting substantially worse. I also realized from playing non-custom Pac-Man that regular trampoline is better for using it as an attack since it doesn't go as high as the meteor one on the first bounce, so it has a substantially faster recovery time.

If anyone wants to play in half an hour, let me know!

Oidisco

So cold... was my Pac-Man so bad that your brain wiped your memories of playing against him?

I guess I'll be using him a bit more now, since I realized that using any other character too often results in my Pac-Man play getting substantially worse. I also realized from playing non-custom Pac-Man that regular trampoline is better for using it as an attack since it doesn't go as high as the meteor one on the first bounce, so it has a substantially faster recovery time.

If anyone wants to play in half an hour, let me know!

Yea I'll play later

GgeI7Rc.jpg

SoldnerKei

this is awesome haha

men, I have been messing around with Roy, he is pretty much removing Marth from my third sub spot, anybody knows of a good Roy I should copy stuff from? P:

the only setups I have kinda figured out are the stuff he can do from a throw, but that aside I pretty much play him as a more aggressive Marf from this game

this is awesome haha

men, I have been messing around with Roy, he is pretty much removing Marth from my third sub spot, anybody knows of a good Roy I should copy stuff from? P:

the only setups I have kinda figured out are the stuff he can do from a throw, but that aside I pretty much play him as a more aggressive Marf from this game

Just spam your tilts, usmash, fsmash, and neutral B. Guaranteed wins.

There's an app/game on the 3DS eshop that lets you use the 3DS as a controller for the WiiU version, but without needing the 3DS version of the game. That's...actually kinda neat. It's a buck, too.

Nami's annoying you to no end with Kong Cyclone? Welcome to the club!

Honestly, it's moves like that that make me kind of resent Sakurai for just adding them in and not care about their balance at all.

The idea behind customs is great, but moves like DK's upB and Villager's camp seed are very good counter arguments. It's why I have slowly shifted back to non custom play. I can see the problem.

edit: GGs Nami. Starting to zone out.

The idea behind customs is great, but moves like DK's upB and Villager's camp seed are very good counter arguments. It's why I have slowly shifted back to non custom play. I can see the problem.

edit: GGs Nami. Starting to zone out.

GGs. Thanks for finally picking characters that don't have PK Fire.

I am up for a few more if anyone else wants to play.

Let me know next time and I will play my secondaries. I have very good a very good Brawler, Wario, Link, Pac Man, Toon Link, and a mediocre Wii Fit Trainer

Those are all people I need practice against. Brawler the most and the least, because no one uses him but also because no one uses him xD

What did you think of my 1 hour Toon Link?

I wouldn't blame Sakurai or the dev team. Seemed like a really interesting and fun idea that was going to have nothing to do with competition. But when Diddy Kong started dominating the metagame, people panicked and got the idea in their head that we NEEDED customs or else the game would immediately stagnate and die and that they would somehow make bottom, low, and mid tier characters instantly viable. And now that we know that isn't true, it's become "it gives characters more options, how can that be a bad thing?" That's silly. A fighting game isn't Pokemon, you don't pick your characters' moves, and it's not something as minor as choosing one of 2-3 Supers/ Ultras. The game isn't designed around Pikachu being able to stun you and get guaranteed KO's, Donkey Kong launching people into space at 50% windbox jankiness, and so on.

Blame the competitive community for thinking "more = better."

Those are all people I need practice against. Brawler the most and the least, because no one uses him but also because no one uses him xD

What did you think of my 1 hour Toon Link?

Hah, well you have the idea down. The key to TL is to never stop moving. Hop all around the place throwing shit to set up approaches, and again, never stop moving. Confuse and frustrate the hell out of the opponent

I wouldn't blame Sakurai or the dev team. Seemed like a really interesting and fun idea that was going to have nothing to do with competition. But when Diddy Kong started dominating the metagame, people panicked and got the idea in their head that we NEEDED customs or else the game would immediately stagnate and die and that they would somehow make bottom, low, and mid tier characters instantly viable. And now that we know that isn't true, it's become "it gives characters more options, how can that be a bad thing?" That's silly. A fighting game isn't Pokemon, you don't pick your characters' moves, and it's not something as minor as choosing one of 2-3 Supers/ Ultras. The game isn't designed around Pikachu being able to stun you and get guaranteed KO's, Donkey Kong launching people into space at 50% windbox jankiness, and so on.

Blame the competitive community for thinking "more = better."

I don't blame anyone. I think it was smart of the competitive community to explore the option. Just because the outcome isn't necessarily what was wanted doesn't mean it was wrong to incorporate it and see how it goes.

Hah, well you have the idea down. The key to TL is to never stop moving. Hop all around the place throwing shit to set up approaches, and again, never stop moving. Confuse and frustrate the hell out of the opponent

Yeah, and I probably need to figure out more stuff with the bombs, and use them more in general. I am also terrible with using my hookshot in the air. It seems I am always too high to hit the opponent.

FSLink

Banned
Unbalanced doesn't mean less fun though. I also do find the discovery of different custom sets and seeing people use moves or characters people thought sucked very interesting.

Now if it devolves into a bunch of DKs and Villagers winning tourneys, sure, but I think the potential is too much to drop right away. There's already some tech against DK Kong Cyclone and such.

I don't think it's bad for people to prefer non customs since it has less jank and more balance changes done to it, but I think it's dumb people want to drop customs so early on.

JulianImp

There's already some tech against DK Kong Cyclone and such.

Please enlighten us (seriously). The huge (and strong) wind hitboxes and the super armor on top of that kept getting me against Nami, and I remember scoring some random gimps because the wind screwed my opponents up and threw them to their doom even though they had dodged the attack.

Top Bottom