• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Smash Bros. for 3DS & Wii U DLC |OT2| Lucas comes out of Nowhere!

Have to remember to use neutral air. And maybe you still haven't found the right character to really start to "get it," though you were also away from the game for a while.

Who's still looking to play?

Okay, WHY do I need to use neutral air? What does it do for me? Why should I be using it?
How the ever loving hell does grab game work? I have no idea how to use or prevent grabs at all. Literally no idea. I feel like I'm completely defenseless, because I'm so wide open to grabs. If an opponent knows how to press the Z button, I pretty much have no choice to give up because I don't have any idea how to not get grabbed.

The thing that makes it hard to learn is it's hard to find someone to be able to play with. 90% of Smash GAF is so high up above my level that it's impossible to really improve, and FG is nothing but a lag fest. T-T

SaberVulcan

How the ever loving hell does grab game work? I have no idea how to use or prevent grabs at all. Literally no idea. I feel like I'm completely defenseless, because I'm so wide open to grabs. If an opponent knows how to press the Z button, I pretty much have no choice to give up because I don't have any idea how to not get grabbed.

Yeah, people who are good with their grab game usually wreck me too.. especially Captain Falcon since hes just so goddamn fast. Spot dodge USED to be the counter, but it seems to be about 50/50 for me... other than that, throw out single jabs and dont just stand behind your shield.

Maybe someday I'll figure out how to recognize any kind of basic pattern at all, and then I'll start figuring anything out. Like how to grab.

Okay, WHY do I need to use neutral air? What does it do for me? Why should I be using it?

The thing that makes it hard to learn is it's hard to find someone to be able to play with. 90% of Smash GAF is so high up above my level that it's impossible to really improve, and FG is nothing but a lag fest. T-T

Roy's is super fast, good range, and fairly safe. Easily keeps people out, counters aerial approaches. It can punish airdodges, edge guard, combo into itself, generally do whatever. It's pretty ridiculous.

Learning when and when not to use grabs is pretty hard, but sometimes you just get a good feel for when someone is open to a grab. Assuming your character has a good dash speed/ grab. Roy does, Peach, Zero Suit, Lucas, Falco, some others, not so much. Roy also has easy setups into grab because of his run speed, and his jab is so spammable.

For avoiding grabs, I think it's just really player and character-specific. Everyone has different grabbing habits and you need to figure it out as you go, but generally you can try to counter with a jab if you see someone running at you (depends on who you're playing against, but it's pretty good at stuffing Luigi). Sometimes roll forward. Spotdodging is risky, it's way too easy to get punished spotdodging a grab because they'll just mash grab afterwards and hit you anyway. Rolling backwards is a lot of peoples' impulse but it doesn't put you in a good position and it's easy to punish. But I don't know that well how to just not get grabbed. This game is so shield-heavy at times that you get grabbed at the stupidest times because you didn't want to risk rolling or dodging. So I don't really know.

JulianImp

Roy's is super fast, good range, and fairly safe. Easily keeps people out, counters aerial approaches. It can punish airdodges, edge guard, combo into itself, generally do whatever. It's pretty ridiculous.

Learning when and when not to use grabs is pretty hard, but sometimes you just get a good feel for when someone is open to a grab. Assuming your character has a good dash speed/ grab. Roy does, Peach, Zero Suit, Lucas, Falco, some others, not so much. Roy also has easy setups into grab because of his run speed, and his jab is so spammable.

For avoiding grabs, I think it's just really player and character-specific. Everyone has different grabbing habits and you need to figure it out as you go, but generally you can try to counter with a jab if you see someone running at you (depends on who you're playing against, but it's pretty good at stuffing Luigi). Sometimes roll forward. Spotdodging is risky, it's way too easy to get punished spotdodging a grab because they'll just mash grab afterwards and hit you anyway. Rolling backwards is a lot of peoples' impulse but it doesn't put you in a good position and it's easy to punish. But I don't know that well how to just not get grabbed. This game is so shield-heavy at times that you get grabbed at the stupidest times because you didn't want to risk rolling or dodging. So I don't really know.

I agree. I've been playing Roy for a while, and I can say his nair is downright awesome. Grabs are also necessary for overcoming shields, and Roy gets lots of fun follow-ups from dthrow at low percentages, on top of tech chases with his forward throw.

Dthrow doesn't appear to connect into true combos after the first couple of hits, though. I think almost all characters with a fast enough jump can get away easily, which is when you should begin doing full jumps or even double jumps to chase after them (always keep them guessing!).

Another trick I've learned is that if you input a short hop and start a fair as soon as you begin the jump you can do a double jump a split second before landing, which makes Roy way harder to punish since you could be jumping back while covering your retreat with an aerial, jump forward to keep up with the pressure or even air dodge a potential counterattack.

Maybe we could try playing some dittos today or tomorrow (but not too many, since I don't want to get out of my Pac-Man groove).

I think I'm going to go back to Peach, just because I feel so much more in control as her. Even if she isn't a very good character, at least I can control her.

Yeah, just play who you're most comfortable with. Don't look at tier lists too much.

Well I know I'm really vulnerable as Peach, and I was hoping to have other characters under my belt so that I could cover Peach's weaknesses (once I start figuring out what they actually are), but... Iunno just can't really control anyone else that's good.

RomanceDawn

Watching this tourney match with Sonic VS ROB I can't help but feel for Sonic. ROB is the only character I can feel absolutely helpless against if the player knows how to hold on to that Gyro. It's so hard for me to get passed!

Oidisco

Watching this tourney match with Sonic VS ROB I can't help but feel for Sonic. ROB is the only character I can feel absolutely helpless against if the player knows how to hold on to that Gyro. It's so hard for me to get past!

I hate ROB so much but I'm still rooting for him because Sonic is the worst. The worst!

I love how a lot of people complain about For Glory only having Omega stages...

and then play on nothing but Smashville. I hate watching competitive Smash sometimes.

Top Bottom