• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Smash Bros. for 3DS & Wii U DLC |OT2| Lucas comes out of Nowhere!

Good games TWILT! We kind of went back and forth with the streaks there but all of the games were pretty close!

I was getting miffed at dying so early comparatively. All that work goes away with one Smash powered attack haha.

And the number of my dropped landing aerials into your forward smash was astronomical today.

Great games!

TWILT

Banned
Good games TWILT! We kind of went back and forth with the streaks there but all of the games were pretty close!

I was getting miffed at dying so early comparatively. All that work goes away with one Smash powered attack haha.

And the number of my dropped landing aerials into your forward smash was astronomical today.

Great games!

Great games Tipster! I feel like I can't stop to breathe for a second against you no matter how much of a percentage lead I get lol. Matches were really fun and intense as always. Lemons are such a pain sometimes; I kept giving you free damage walking into them. And I felt like I was getting too Backslash happy during the set haha. Pleasure playing you as always.

Cronox

Banned
In other news, for glory continues flow into my veins in a steady drip. Found a use for Bowser's tough guy when being hit by Ness' pk fire, dsmash can stop Ness from getting a throw in at midpercents, and can be used again instantly if the flame or another attack interrupts it. I've been getting at least a little mileage with dsmash lately, I've also used it as a slightly more consistent/knockbacky followup from a whiffed autocanceled short hop bair. People tend to not be ready to block a multihit move, especially because I often catch them landing with it. Just a mixup really, fortress is probably safer, though there's something to be said for having trapped an air-dodging opponent into landing on a charged dsmash.

Can't say I feel like I'm learning anything or getting better, it feels like I've been kind of on autopilot the last few days. Though when an opponent taunts at the end of a match I can still muster some energy to punish them in the next one.

Nabster92

Me? That was likely my little brother.

Pretty sure he meant me. Your name is also Nabil as well right? Do you actually go by Nabster in smash too or do you use Neoxon mostly? That'll be interesting when I start going to NorCal events when I finally move.

Boney

Banned
Boney, I got to play against our best (and only) local Samus in bracket on stream. Its a really good set watch, especially GFs when you have some free time. He makes me think otherwise of the character. :p I love how the GFs last set ended. Never taking Samus to Duck Hunt again.
WFs
GFs
Will definately check it out. Stupid twitch archives are the worst though, do these get uploaded to YouTube?

Boney, I got to play against our best (and only) local Samus in bracket on stream. Its a really good set watch, especially GFs when you have some free time. He makes me think otherwise of the character. :p I love how the GFs last set ended. Never taking Samus to Duck Hunt again.
WFs
GFs

The Zelda stuff at the end killed me

Just wanted to share this replay. Not particarly a good opponent but I still can't believe I manage to pull off this attack against a human opponent.
http://youtu.be/E7Ox2y0nCvY
Bonus: this is before the youtube upload but I had to save my funniest wins somehow.
https://youtu.be/XUQJxCfIzXs
https://youtu.be/JevWKAd9XC4
Nice!

I just uploaded 2 games against a really good Falcon that I'm quite proud of. He messed me up in some of the matches (especially my Marth), but at this point I had him pretty well figured out and I think it shows. It's a rough matchup for Zelda, so yea I'm happy!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_U5EzVZLmSw
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uXraUC7Y_Zw

If any of you care, take a look!
Pretty fantastic Zelda, man. Those sweetspot kicks not KOing at 80% by the ledge is killer.

I just uploaded 2 games against a really good Falcon that I'm quite proud of. He messed me up in some of the matches (especially my Marth), but at this point I had him pretty well figured out and I think it shows. It's a rough matchup for Zelda, so yea I'm happy!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_U5EzVZLmSw
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uXraUC7Y_Zw

If any of you care, take a look!

That second match wasn't even close. You gotta fight my Falcon, though. I don't even care about risk when I use him.

I can't make out the meaning of the phrase. Do you mean you tried back slashing me and both of us ended up surviving? Do you happen to still have a viewable replay of that?

I believe he is saying that he killed you with backslash off-stage while he survived after.

Fandangox

I can't make out the meaning of the phrase. Do you mean you tried back slashing me and both of us ended up surviving? Do you happen to still have a viewable replay of that?

Remember the one I backslashed but your trampoline saved me? On the 3ds, we both saved the replay, I sill have it since I didn't update the 3ds version.

Oidisco

Pretty fantastic Zelda, man. Those sweetspot kicks not KOing at 80% by the ledge is killer.

Thanks!
Yea I was really surprised by that. I know Falcon's heavy but it seems crazy to me that it didn't kill. It's like they didn't put enough thought into the power of those kicks. When looking at just her own moveset they make sense, but when put against the rest of cast it's obvious how bad they actually are.

I've mentioned it before, but of all her moves that need to be buffed I think the kicks need it the most. Make the sour/sweetspot stronger, make them autocancel like Brawl (apparently) or make the sweetspot easier to land. Even just one of those would be a big improvement and do absolute wonders for her.

Fandangox

Remember the one I backslashed but your trampoline saved me? On the 3ds, we both saved the replay, I sill have it since I didn't update the 3ds version.

Found us talking about it on this thread.

Haha, that finale! If only I hadn't done that up B you could've gotten yourself KOed before me.

I saved it as well, you know.

Edit: I don't even know which stages are legal in the 3DS version.

Thanks!
Yea I was really surprised by that. I know Falcon's heavy but it seems crazy to me that it didn't kill. It's like they didn't put enough thought into the power of those kicks. When looking at just her own moveset they make sense, but when put against the rest of cast it's obvious how bad they actually are.

I've mentioned it before, but of all her moves that need to be buffed I think the kicks need it the most. Make the sour/sweetspot stronger, make them autocancel like Brawl (apparently) or make the sweetspot easier to land. Even just one of those would be a big improvement and do absolute wonders for her.
Totally agreed.

Actually, I've been thinking about it, and the reason Mewtwo and Bowser could never be good in this game is the lack of crouch-canceled dashes. If you think about it there are only two ways to approach in this game:
1) In the air.
2) On the ground.

Characters like Ness, Yoshi, Sheik, and Mario have amazing and safe aerials. If Yoshi is coming at you, he has multiple safe aerial options to choose from. His ground options aren't great, but that's okay. He has his way of approaching.

Characters without safe aerials have to STOP their run to use a ground normal. It's a little ridiculous, when you think about it. Why have so many characters that can run in and jump attack safely, but no one that can run in and throw a ground poke?

Totally agreed.

Actually, I've been thinking about it, and the reason Mewtwo and Bowser could never be good in this game is the lack of crouch-canceled dashes. If you think about it there are only two ways to approach in this game:
1) In the air.
2) On the ground.

Characters like Ness, Yoshi, Sheik, and Mario have amazing and safe aerials. If Yoshi is coming at you, he has multiple safe aerial options to choose from. His ground options aren't great, but that's okay. He has his way of approaching.

Characters without safe aerials have to STOP their run to use a ground normal. It's a little ridiculous, when you think about it. Why have so many characters that can run in and jump attack safely, but no one that can run in and throw a ground poke?

You could crouch-cancel dashes in Melee at least, though I don't know how that helped Mewtwo and Bowser there. I know if crouch-cancelling was added to this game it would not only help out those two in particular, but make ground options mean more than just "run in and grab/dash attack/shield and react" situations. I could just run up with Mario and utilt without a worry, and not having to bother with pivots and all that.

Oh, and you can usmash out of a run but that's not particularly useful in any case...

You could crouch-cancel dashes in Melee at least, though I don't know how that helped Mewtwo and Bowser there. I know if crouch-cancelling was added to this game it would not only help out those two in particular, but make ground options mean more than just "run in and grab/dash attack/shield and react" situations. I could just run up with Mario and utilt without a worry, and not having to bother with pivots and all that.

Oh, and you can usmash out of a run but that's not particularly useful in any case...
Imagine if Mewtwo could crouch cancel into his Dtilt. It wouldn't make him amazing, but it would fix one problem he has: no approach options. His standard would become uncharged Shadow Ball, run, and then Nair to catch someone jumping out and back rolls, or Dtilt to catch spot dodges and forward rolls. He would have a much better neutral.

I am not a fan of the ground game right now. Haven't been since release. I really hope Sakurai considers this as an option. I would go back to Mewtwo full time just for this change.

Thanks!

Her kicks are good, but definitely need a buff. Too much effort for little reward. Dropped the kick from most of my regular play and opted for the nair. I still use the kick a ton at the edge guard but mostly when it's offstage. Hell I've replaced most kick scenarios with a quick air phantom. Does so much better and repelling enemies and setting them up for a smash or ironically, a kick lol.

edit: I'm surprised you find the Falcon matchup hard. everything I see there is standard falcon and is quite readable. Good falcon's are ridiculously hard to read.

Oidisco

Her kicks are good, but definitely need a buff. Too much effort for little reward. Dropped the kick from most of my regular play and opted for the nair. I still use the kick a ton at the edge guard but mostly when it's offstage. Hell I've replaced most kick scenarios with a quick air phantom. Does so much better and repelling enemies and setting them up for a smash or ironically, a kick lol.

edit: I'm surprised you find the Falcon matchup hard. everything I see there is standard falcon and is quite readable. Good falcon's are ridiculously hard to read.

What you just said is exactly why her kicks are bad. So much effort and risk for such little reward.

And yes, the Falcon matchup is a bad one for Zelda, even against average players. Zelda is a defensive character that can't deal with pressure and can't land, which is an obvious design flaw. Falcon is a character that is great at putting on pressure and covering landing options (atleast from what I can tell)

And keep in mind what I said, we had played a lot of games at this point so I had obviously gotten used to his playstyle. Not to mention the fact that he was clearly panicing a bit when I was getting such a big lead, making him easier to deal with. In other matches he was playing far better with really good use of Fox-troting and Dash-dancing. He absolutely destroyed my Marth and in a few games, my Zelda too.

The kicks wouldn't be so bad if they had a non-sour, non-sweet hitbox. Just something with normal knockback so you aren't screwed if you miss the tiny sweetspot.

Top Bottom