• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tales of Hearts R |OT| With Our Vitas Combined

Bladenic

So how good is this game if this is my fav Tales of list:

1. Vesperia
2. Symphonia 1
3. Abyss
4. Xillia 2
5. Graces f
6. Xillia 1
7. Symphonia 2
8. Legendia
9. Innocence

worth getting a vita for?

It's definitely above your bottom 3, for sure. And I bought a Vita mainly for this game, but there are other great games I got like Ys, Uncharted, and have Innocence R coming. I would never buy a system for one game solely though.

Damn, congrats! Good luck with the Plat!

Thanks! Going well thus far. Most time consuming will be level 200. I also suck at that damn balloon minigame.

CentroXer

Banned
It's definitely above your bottom 3, for sure. And I bought a Vita mainly for this game, but there are other great games I got like Ys, Uncharted, and have Innocence R coming. I would never buy a system for one game solely though.

Thanks! Going well thus far. Most time consuming will be level 200. I also suck at that damn balloon minigame.

what more jrpgs are there for vita?

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
A few questions:

1. Who's a better support? Hisui or Kohaku?
2. Where can I find the quest item (the one where you initiate a spiria link) in the Scherera desert town(?)

A few questions:

2. Where can I find the quest item (the one where you initiate a spiria link) in the Scherera desert town(?)

1. If by support you mean healing, Hisui for sure just because of Nurse.
2. Not sure.

Bladenic

A few questions:

Hisui, although Kohaku gets Ressurection earlier.

As for #2, I have no idea what you're talking about. More details? What is the item called?

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
It's where you go inside the guy's Spiria and solve the riddle of the location of the treasure. I think it's the Stone Check item?

what more jrpgs are there for vita?
Seconding the other games in English, there's Ys: Memories of Celceta, Persona 4 Golden, FFX/X-2 HD, Sword Art Online, Dragon's Crown, Muramasa: Rebirth, Atelier Totori Plus, Atelier Rorona Plus, Atelier Meruru Plus, Atelier Ayesha Plus (on the way), Disgaea 3: Absence of Detention, Disgaea 4: A Promise Revisited, Conception II, Natural Doctrine and Demon Gaze.

And of course, the PS1 and PSP backcatalog.

Tales of Hearts R though might be one of the more traditional JRPGs I've played on here.

Bladenic

It's where you go inside the guy's Spiria and solve the riddle of the location of the treasure. I think it's the Stone Check item?

I think I remember that one, but I don't recall any required item? Are you talking about Aifread's treasure? You should be able to go to Pendeloque Southport and talk to Aqua to continue.

Are the
shadow self fights
in the ex dungeon not necessary to do right away? I skipped right past them and fought the mini boss in the two areas I was in and got the keys to unlock the main gate on the island north of seaville. I imagine I'll have to do them eventually or I won't be able to progress further in the dungeon at some point.

ULTROS!

So how good is this game if this is my fav Tales of list:

1. Vesperia
2. Symphonia 1
3. Abyss
4. Xillia 2
5. Graces f
6. Xillia 1
7. Symphonia 2
8. Legendia
9. Innocence

worth getting a vita for?

For some personal reason, I'd rank this above Tales of Xillia. It's not that I dislike Xillia, I just thought Xillia was a bit bland. My rank will go like this:

Symphonia > Graces > Abyss > Hearts > Xillia

Tales of Hearts R feels like a good old PSone RPG for some reason with its world map and random encounters.

I think I remember that one, but I don't recall any required item? Are you talking about Aifread's treasure? You should be able to go to Pendeloque Southport and talk to Aqua to continue.

Yeah that's the one, so I don't need to search the desert?

Bladenic

For some personal reason, I'd rank this above Tales of Xillia. It's not that I dislike Xillia, I just thought Xillia was a bit bland. My rank will go like this:

Symphonia > Graces > Abyss > Hearts > Xillia

Tales of Hearts R feels like a good old PSone RPG for some reason with its world map and random encounters.

Yeah that's the one, so I don't need to search the desert?

Nope! Should be good doing what I stated.

This damned battle system is baffling me, anyone got any tut vids they can recommend?

I'm not sure what your exact issue is, but the battle system didn't click for me until I turned movement to manual (it defaults on semi-auto). To do this you hit select in the menu (the regular menu from hitting triangle).

I'm sure some people are fine with semi-auto but I fucking hate it. Semi-auto makes you automatically run toward your targeted enemy when you try to attack, whereas auto, it's up to you to move yourself into position. I needed this extra control for the combat to start feeling good.

Bladenic

I just remembered this game was ported to the iOS platform in Japan. Kinda surprised that was even possible, but holy shit the game has to be a pain in the ass to play on an iphone. ToP was unplayable to me and that was way less involved that ToHR.

I just remembered this game was ported to the iOS platform in Japan. Kinda surprised that was even possible, but holy shit the game has to be a pain in the ass to play on an iphone. ToP was unplayable to me and that was way less involved that ToHR.
I can't imagine playing any game that has action-based combat on my phone. Sounds terrible. I actually kind of enjoyed play FF3 on my iPhone, but still. Bleugh.

Surprised? There's a Bioshock port for iOS.

Fauve

The ios version actually wasn't that bad lol. The controls were decent, but the combat was pretty restricting as you only got 4 shortcuts to work with.

I like the pacing in this game a lot. So far there has not been a drought and the goal was very clear the whole time unlike e.g. Vesperia.

Although the story got overly dramatic and a tad ridiculous last time I played but manageable.

Till now (15h in) i would consider this to be my favorite Tales of-game next to Xillia 2 as I don't have to force myself to turn on the game and I actually care for how the story unfolds.

Xenus

The battles voices not being dubbed reminds me of Destiny. I even recognize some of the moves by their name in japanese and I don't know any japanese.

Bladenic

Ines is an awesome force to be reckoned with, but she was actually nerfed in R compared to the DS version. In the DS version she had an instant self healing move. She could easily spam it to fully recover in seconds. Her mystic arte was also better in the DS version, dealing way more hits.

Is there a trick I'm missing to use the bonus costumes? I've just got the 3rd party member
Gall
but the only costumes I can equip are the defaults.

Is there a trick I'm missing to use the bonus costumes? I've just got the 3rd party member
Gall
but the only costumes I can equip are the defaults.

Go to items. Go to the rightmost item category, which is DLC items. You need to use the consumeables for the costumes before you can equip the costumes in the characters' status screens.

Woo, finished the bonus dungeon (didn't bother with the one on one fights lol) and about to go through the final battle one more time
to see the secret ending video
. Overall I'd say I enjoyed this game quite a bit, although this is probably gonna be the first Tales game that I don't plan on doing a NG+ right away like I did with pretty much all the others. It definitely had some flaws and didn't click with me right away like most of the other games in the series did, but I managed to stick through until it did (about 18 hours in lol). The post game stuff could have definitely been better, really not a fan of them reusing areas from earlier in the game and just slapping a piss color filter over them and the music changing back and forth was kind of jarring too.

Guess after this I'll either go back to Conception 2, Nep Rebirth or Freedom Wars until I get Persona Q (which because of the holiday won't be arriving until about Dec. 2-5.) I should just get that digitally too like with this game but I kind of regret doing that now just because I miss having the case and such for this game.

Bladenic

I'm only at
the section where Lilitha and the other dude have been awakened. Kor just returned to normal from being evil.
I think I've probably got like another 20-30 hours to go at the rate I'm going.

Hmm, it depends on if you do all the Sidequests and arena and stuff like that. While that's definitely the halfway mark for the story, I don't think the second half is as long in terms of gameplay content like dungeons, bosses, etc.

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
I played this game while I was on my cruise. I'm typing this on my phone so forgive the errors. To put short this game was just not good. It was average at best with so many shallow features it's not even funny. From a technical standpoint though you can argue that this was actually average and not nkt good.

This game is a prime example how much the franchise has evolved since Vesperia and Destiny. Battle is a literal cut and paste of Vesperia and so are the auxiliary systems save the chase system which is a poor excuse for trying to redeem shitty enemy encounters. Let's give bosses the dumbass recoveries. Wait this would make them not fun. Quick. What can we do to make this better? Oh let's add this Chase system so they can be literal punching bags for a few seconds. Fuck you designers. This was terrible in theory and it's terrible in practice.

Story is rreminiscent of older Tales games. It's not terrible. It was just... Not good. There are redeeming portions though. Sound is bad. Visuals are bad. Despite all this I enjoyed this. I'm a sucker so sue me. If I had to review this game it would be 5.

Hmm, it depends on if you do all the Sidequests and arena and stuff like that. While that's definitely the halfway mark for the story, I don't think the second half is as long in terms of gameplay content like dungeons, bosses, etc.
I'm going to go do all that stuff probably just to draw it out a bit more since I'm enjoying it. I'm also still fairly incompetent with the battle system so sometimes I run around for an hour trying to trigger random battles to get practice :p

Holmes

1wV055u.jpg

Yes, the game had problems, but I was never really bothered by them. I enjoyed every minute of this. I never once felt bored going for platinum. I got it in 55 hours, which is a very good plat time for an RPG.

Holmes

Honestly, the only thing different is the chase link system and the guard counters. But that's only because Vesperia has a pretty generic battle system to begin with. The whole "same battle system as Vesperia" has become a big anti-Tales meme recently.

Shizuka

Yes, the game had problems, but I was never really bothered by them. I enjoyed every minute of this. I never once felt bored going for platinum. I got it in 55 hours, which is a very good plat time for an RPG.

Congratulations, I can't wait to get my copy and start playing the game already.

kewlmyc

I forgot guard counters. My bad. I also forgot the TC mechanic. Outside of that Explain to me how it's not a copy of Vesperia?

Didn't Vesperia limit how much you could combo certain moves? You had to use skills that allowed you to combo basic arts to advanced arts to arcane arcs back to basic arts, and so forth. This game doesn't have that. Out of the games I've played, I would say it's more Abyss with TC than anything. Then again, Vesperia was an evolution of Abyss, so who knows.

Bladenic

I forgot guard counters. My bad. I also forgot the TC mechanic. Outside of that Explain to me how it's not a copy of Vesperia?

I mean, I would consider TC, guard counters, and the chase link integral parts of the battle system. The growth systems are obviously different. Like I don't see similarities between them at all, beyond the basic Tales battle similarities which is shared with the entire series. The sole thing copied is the over limit system, which is indeed just like Vesperia's.

Sandfox

I played this game while I was on my cruise. I'm typing this on my phone so forgive the errors. To put short this game was just not good. It was average at best with so many shallow features it's not even funny. From a technical standpoint though you can argue that this was actually average and not nkt good.

This game is a prime example how much the franchise has evolved since Vesperia and Destiny. Battle is a literal cut and paste of Vesperia and so are the auxiliary systems save the chase system which is a poor excuse for trying to redeem shitty enemy encounters. Let's give bosses the dumbass recoveries. Wait this would make them not fun. Quick. What can we do to make this better? Oh let's add this Chase system so they can be literal punching bags for a few seconds. Fuck you designers. This was terrible in theory and it's terrible in practice.

Story is rreminiscent of older Tales games. It's not terrible. It was just... Not good. There are redeeming portions though. Sound is bad. Visuals are bad. Despite all this I enjoyed this. I'm a sucker so sue me. If I had to review this game it would be 5.

I really wish we got the DS version of the game lol

enigmatic_alex44

Whenever a game uses "middleware," I expect mediocrity. Just see how poor TLOU looks.
I've only played the first hour or so, but I'm really loving this game. First impression is that it'll end up in the top half of my faves Tales games if it continues like what I've played so far :)

I really wish we got the DS version of the game lol

Why do you say that? I've seen this comment numerous times on GAF (and other places), what's so much better in the DS version? (besides not having random encounters of course). Vita version seems like an upgrade all around

Sandfox

I've only played the first hour or so, but I'm really loving this game. First impression is that it'll end up in the top half of my faves Tales games if it continues like what I've played so far :)

Why do you say that? I've seen this comment numerous times on GAF (and other places), what's so much better in the DS version? (besides not having random encounters of course). Vita version seems like an upgrade all around

I don't like the changes they made in addition to the localization "issues". The old battle system and sprites were better IMO.

People have already pointed out that the battle system isn't a rip-off, so I'll let that issue lie. How exactly can you say the game looks and sounds bad? Compared to what? It's a great looking game.

Bladenic

Well the graphics aren't cutting edge by any stretch but there are some nice views and some in battle effects are cool. Mystic artes look nice. No slowdown in battles.

As for sound, well, the music is okay but a lot of tunes either sound the same or some are worse than the DS version which isn't a great thing.

Anyway, finished the bonus dungeon. I'm pretty mad that damn boss gave no experience haha. Also got the monster and item codex trophies by using the grade shop.

Now just need to beat the final boss on both higher difficulties, Max level, max cooking (level 90 right now), and 3 more trophies for affection/dual MAs unlocking. Should be doable within 10 more hours I hope. Dunno if it would be easier/faster to just do a NG+ run for the max level with 5x experience (too bad there's no 10x).

Well the graphics aren't cutting edge by any stretch but there are some nice views and some in battle effects are cool. Mystic artes look nice. No slowdown in battles.

As for sound, well, the music is okay but a lot of tunes either sound the same or some are worse than the DS version which isn't a great thing.
It definitely isn't Killzone Mercenaries, but I don't think anyone was expecting that. As far as my experience has been with the Vita, it's certainly one of the better looking RPGs. It has a decent aesthetic and I've been fairly pleased with the looks.

Yeah, the sound isn't great, I agree with that as well, but I don't think it's actually bad. I guess I have more tolerance for bad sound though.

This may be my favorite Vita game. My only problem is that I feel like I should be avoiding fights so I don't over level. The story has been pretty good so far (I've jusaner river at Lion's Park) and the combat is really rewarding. Only other minor problem I have is that the US version arbitrarily has no support for custom music. The game's combat is the main draw for me, and so far it's excellent, makes me sad that I won't have any other game like it on Vita once I'm done.

Top Bottom