• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Team Bondi's L.A. NOIRE |OT| Watchin' Faces, Solvin' Cases

cacophony

The Lamp said:
Wow, this was just annoying (animation-wise and dialogue-wise), and lifeless eyes moments all-around!
Cole: Michelle, your mother is dead!
Michelle: (starts sobbing like crazy)
Cole: Can you answer some questions?
Michelle: I could try!

lol wtf

I just played this part and burst out laughing

edit: lmao, further on in this part
Moller: I've always been teased about my feet size, you know, small feet, small...
Partner (male): Always been true in my experience.

wat

The Lamp

cacophony said:
I just played this part and burst out laughing

edit: lmao, further on in this part
Moller: I've always been teased about my feet size, you know, small feet, small...
Partner (male): Always been true in my experience.

wat

I know! I was like...."Just what does he mean by that?" LOL

I'm really thinking about picking this up on the way home from work... but I've already got a backlog the size of texas.

MUST.... FINISH.... DEMONS SOULS.... BEFORE.... I.... BUY... A... NEW... GAME....

AHHHHHHHH

DanielJr82

I'm about 3 hours in and I'm loving it so far. The game is awesome, though it does have a few flaws. Mainly you're never really given a break to explore around, it's one case after another. You can drive around whenever you want, but it feels odd you're exploring around and there's a corpse waiting for your inspection somewhere, i.e. you're always working on a case and you'll always have a partner with you, at least so far.

If you play the story straight through, though, the game really shines. There's a bit of guess work involved and it's all about the big feature, the faces. I completely botched the interview before I got promoted, I think I retried it 4 times, but I eventually got my head together and pulled it through. My biggest advice is to RTFM, you'll get a lot of clues there on how to properly play the game and how to best read people (hint: straight face look at you means they're telling the truth). Once you figure that out, it's more manageable and actually a lot more enjoyable.

On the Xbox 360 version, there are noticeable frame rate drops in some parts, namely in the opening sequence. Some of the graphics are also pixelated, taking you out of the experience, like the blood in the car in the first traffic case. The hair are also kind of funny looking, like they slapped a photo of the hair onto a mannequin. So a few little oddities like that here and there, but the overall presentation is very good. The city in particular looks stunning and it's huge.

Still a ways to go, I just wish I had like a free-roam break or something. Sometimes having mission marks scattered around the map is needed, like in RDR or GTAIV, but this game doesn't operate like that.

tc farks

Im skipping over that cartoon as fast as possible cause it seems like it might have been about the case involving my avatar that I haven't finished.

The Lamp said:
Wow, this was just annoying (animation-wise and dialogue-wise), and lifeless eyes moments all-around!

lol wtf

This was fucked. The worst yet.

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
I do wonder if it's possible to shoot the perp in a hostage situation, that isn't fatal. One guy, at the end of the chase, took a hostage, and I eventually shoot him kind of low. The animation was something that was like "I shot his gun hand."

I would know for sure about this, if not for the fact I quickly put a few rounds into his exposed torso, ending in another blooderrific Code 4 :D

Think this was the
Hit and Run traffic detective case

ACE 1991

Really loving the game so far, but I'm still kind of confused as to how clues/interrogations work. It seems that even though I consistently get less than half of the questions right the case still progresses smoothly; is there really no fail state in this regard? I'm on the third case in homicide, by the way.

Barrett2

Did I accidentally hit a button? At the end of the very first training mission, after I find the
green book
and we call it in, it puts me into a
flashback of getting on the buses for boot camp
. Did I miss anything? Was there an 'end' to that case I didn't see? I only ask because i felt like I hit the X button right as the cutscene began, so I wonder if I skipped something.

Fjordson

ACE 1991 said:
Really loving the game so far, but I'm still kind of confused as to how clues/interrogations work. It seems that even though I consistently get less than half of the questions right the case still progresses smoothly; is there really no fail state in this regard? I'm on the third case in homicide, by the way.
It changes the way you get to the end of the case. Can make it more drawn out and/or difficult, but it doesn't end the game.

Coop

The Lamp said:

lol wtf

I just finished this mission and hated it.
I didnt think either one was the killer but I picked the dad. Boss chewed me out.

ACE 1991 said:

I don't believe there is.. getting the answers right may lead to a confession or a new clue and the end of the case may be a little different, however if you screw up every question you will eventually find evidence or something that will still end the case either way.

this is my experience anyways.

Evlar

Banned
lawblob said:
Did I accidentally hit a button? At the end of the very first training mission, after I find the
green book
and we call it in, it puts me into a
flashback of getting on the buses for boot camp
. Did I miss anything?
No. You just called it in, and that's that. Most cases don't end that way.
A name found in the green book seems to point to something that will be revisited later in the game, though I haven't got far along to see anything like that. It's beyond your pay grade at this point in the game. Just a hunch.

Barrett2

Evlar said:
No. You just called it in, and that's that. Most cases don't end that way.
A name found in the green book seems to point to something that will be revisited later in the game, though I haven't got far along to see anything like that. It's beyond your pay grade at this point in the game. Just a hunch.
Ok, cool. Just checking. ;)

JambiBum

So I'm confused on something. I just solved the first homicide case and only got four stars. The first time I solved it I didn't
go back to the station to question the husband
. So I replayed it and made sure I did. This time I still only got four stars. Have all of the clues and questions right.

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
JambiBum said:
So I'm confused on something. I just solved the first homicide case and only got four stars. The first time I solved it I didn't
. So I replayed it and made sure I did. This time I still only got four stars. Have all of the clues and questions right.

My ending to this was
the captain and my partner drinking it up in the Latino's apartment, while Cole went all derp with a fake drinking motion. I think I got 4 stars, but I'm not sure. I figure the getting more questions right or finding all the evidence determines the stars at the end of cases.

JambiBum

Lonestar said:
My ending to this was
the captain and my partner drinking it up in the Latino's apartment, while Cole went all derp with a fake drinking motion. I think I got 4 stars, but I'm not sure. I figure the getting more questions right or finding all the evidence determines the stars at the end of cases.
That's exactly what my ending was. Hope someone who got five can explain lol.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
I just got this earlier and am only partway into the first "real" case, but I really don't like interrogation so far.

Why the fuck does Cole flip out on people if you doubt them?
I'm just asking Adrian's wife some questions about him, this was about the glasses. She said they were brand new, I double chekced the evidence and it said they were broken and repaired, so I said "doubt" to press her for more infomation. Cole then yelled at her and said "YOU WOULD KNOW WHAT GLASSES HE WORE BECAUSE YOU WERE THERE WITH HIM" out of NOWHERE. My jaw fucking dropped.

It's going to seriously hinder how I approach the game if it's always doing shit like that, it shouldn't be called doubt if it seems to always accuse instead. I'm also not liking the sound notifications after each truth/doubt/lie because it tells you when you did it wrong. I'd like to go through each case not knowing if I did it right, kinda impossible now.

Can someone run down the DLC for me - for both systems?

PS3 - comes with Consul's Car for free but you cant access store right? Anything else? What about 360

JambiBum said:
Pretty sure Four stars is best you can get...

I missed
going back to station
too, ugh that was annoying that the case just ended.

JambiBum

DevelopmentArrested said:
Can someone run down the DLC for me - for both systems?

PS3 - comes with Consul's Car for free but you cant access store right? Anything else? What about 360

I missed
going back to station
too, ugh that was annoying that the case just ended.
Maybe it is that way on purpose then. Doesn't make sense though

ACE 1991

JetBlackPanda said:
I don't believe there is.. getting the answers right may lead to a confession or a new clue and the end of the case may be a little different, however if you screw up every question you will eventually find evidence or something that will still end the case either way.

this is my experience anyways.

Makes it seem a lot more like an interactive movie than a game if so.

I can't believe how amazing this game is. I'm beyond impressed and the wait was worth it. I really want to play Witcher 2 but can't seem to pry myself from this. Not to mention a fucking thunderstorm just rolled in...perfect

FrankT

So I caved. First full price game I've picked up this year I believe. Wife picking up a 360 copy from Gamestop right now. Will be a change of pace from Portal.

So I just got this game and it is well... interesting. Sadly, it seems to be dumbed down for the masses. Why tell me how many questions I got right or wrong? What is with the vibration every time I find something of interest? Allow ME to explore and discover the clues dont hold my frickin hand. Oh well, it is at least much different than the other games out right now and I hope it spurs more detective games. Hopefully ones that dont hold your hand the entire time.

Not a Jellyfish

but I am a sheep
Hrmmmm this game is not going to take me nearly as long as the devs fluffed. I am mid 40 percent and have only 8 hours of play time. :/

Edit: ^ You can turn all the cues off if you like.

Papercuts

Grisby said:
Yeah, the tone differences can come out of nowhere.

It's really hard to take seriously when he flips shit on someone for no reason, then you go about the rest of the interrogation as normal. No immersion at all on my end.

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
Not a Jellyfish said:
Hrmmmm this game is not going to take me nearly as long as the devs fluffed. I am mid 40 percent and have only 8 hours of play time. :/

Edit: ^ You can turn all the cues off if you like.

I'm on case #
and only played 12 hours 20 minutes

xxracerxx

Don't worry, I'll vouch for them.
DevelopmentArrested said:
There are trophies/achievements for
5-staring a single case and all cases
. Can someone clarify?

Papercuts said:
It's really hard to take seriously when he flips shit on someone for no reason, then you go about the rest of the interrogation as normal. No immersion at all on my end.
My favorite one so far was the
old lady who ran the rooming house. She didn't do anything wrong and he calls her a nosey old bag.

TheExecutive said:
So I just got this game and it is well... interesting. Sadly, it seems to be dumbed down for the masses. Why tell me how many questions I got right or wrong? What is with the vibration every time I find something of interest? Allow ME to explore and discover the clues dont hold my frickin hand. Oh well, it is at least much different than the other games out right now and I hope it spurs more detective games. Hopefully ones that dont hold your hand the entire time.
um you can turn off clues

Papercuts

You can turn off the clue notifications, but is there a way to not have it play that music during the interrogation?

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
Gotta say, the more I get further in this game, the more I'm starting to get bored with it. It feels like the game peaked at the end of the homicide cases.

strem

A few hours in and it looks like my choice of not being a detective IRL was a good decision on my part. I miss a LOT of stuff

I just watched some of the trailers for this and wow the motion capture technology looks really nice. I can't wait until they use it on some next gen games so that it can really shine.

Lazlo

Has anyone got the point where you can replay missions yet? I know you can restart them but from what I remembered you could go back to each "desk" and redo cases. The best I can do is sit at a desk... and nothing happens heh.

Lazlo said:
Has anyone got the point where you can replay missions yet? I know you can restart them but from what I remembered you could go back to each "desk" and redo cases. The best I can do is sit at a desk... and nothing happens heh.

you can select it from main menu screen -> cases

Tom Penny

I can't believe how absolutely horrific Rockstar is at shooting an moving mechanics in a game. How do you not get better at it? Your A+ at a ton of other shit and can't do something basic as non tank controls and shitty aiming and shooting?

I. Adore. This game.

I love the mood, the pacing, the fact that it puts more emphasis on observation, logic and reasoning than reflexes (not that I can't kick your ass at Halo or anything ;) ).

Just so wonderfully different. Not perfect, but DAMN I'm glad somebody had the balls to make a game like this.

So good.

Nakimushi

Banned
Yes game is maybe not perfect but I will gave it 9+ or even 10

atmosphere and level of polish is amazing in this game
I was expecting bad textures everywhere beside beautiful faces but they kind of blend everyting together so nice that everything looks very solid
/ beside characters of course becasue they look scary natural and too real for a game /

gameplay is fun as hell and I cant wait to go back home and play this game more
hope game sell very well because it deserve it and industry needs games like this one

The Lamp

Coop said:
I just finished this mission and hated it.
I didnt think either one was the killer but I picked the dad. Boss chewed me out.

Really?
I accidentally picked the pedophile, after I interviewed both, because I forgot when it said "charge with murder" it was only going to let you pick one guy. I was praised and everyone was happy with my decision. I guess the father is the wrong decision!

Though in reality the father acted way shadier so deep down I thought it was him, but since it's always the person you expect the least....maybe it was the pedo...haha....

Though actually, I finished that mission a short while ago, and I'm thinking all these missions might be a set-up behind one serial killer. I'm only 6 hours in though, so who knows?

Papercuts said:
You can turn off the clue notifications, but is there a way to not have it play that music during the interrogation?

Apparently not, and this is what ruins it for me more than any clue-finding hints or whatever.
When I'm interrogating someone, I don't want to know that there's a "right" and "wrong" way, or an incorrect consequence and a correct consequence. I just want to interrogate and use my own judgment and deal with my own consequence of events. If there was a way to turn it off, I wouldn't feel like I have to repeat every case in the middle of doing it for a "perfect score" which feels cheaty anyway.

JBuccCP

I'm on a phone and don't want to type long, quick thoughts after 7 or 8 cases:

-faces are awesome. U can even see the lips sticking together
-all the action stuff has sucked. I'm just ignoring the random crimes
-clue finding is eh. Basically either walk around waiting for vibration or just walk around mashing a. Needed fixed or first person camera too
-i like the questioning more, even though I'm not too good at it. The random tone changes are weird. They should have made use of the partners to play the bad cop and have Plelps stay calm most of the time.
-Phelps himself so far is really bland
-[pc snobbery on] I forgot how ugly console games can be [/pc snobbery off]

Top Bottom