• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Team Bondi's L.A. NOIRE |OT| Watchin' Faces, Solvin' Cases

Astery

CozyMachine said:
Homicide desk question:
Did anyone else know who the BD killer was before they revealed him?

I didn't really know, but I know something is not right when
in a case the bartender said there was a temp working at the night, but there is no way to get a lead from this temp, who appears to be an important person to interview with. I was totally thinking why ignore this guy here Phelps?

CozyMachine said:
There was a line about the killer probably being some guy who watches drunk girls at bars that gave it away for me, I'm just wondering if that line stuck out to anyone else.

this too, I think it's on the same case as I mentioned, can't really remember.
I am not impressed with the story tho, not for the ending for the killer but
how he pulls off what he did. It's just bullshit.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
umm, can someone point me to a map in this game with revealed landmarks?

this quarter-moon case isn't fair, my partner has been driving everywhere! :(

if there's a in-game way of working this out, post it instead!

The Lamp

Just hover the cursor over the "?" marks. Some of them are landmarks, and it will tell you. Some of them are just hidden vehicles, though.

Astery

I didn't see the "?" marks for the 3rd destination. If that's the case, just drive around for a few minutes then Phelps will figure it out by himself, then the "?" mark will appear.

daviyoung

Banned
Rez said:
if there's a in-game way of working this out, post it instead!

Yeh, it goes like this.

1. Receive clue
2. Get in car
3. Wait 5 minutes (go do something else)
4. Come back to game
5. Map marker for next trial is there

Cole has an epiphany if you dilly-dally.

Peff

Rez said:
Yeh, it goes like this.

1. Receive clue
2. Get in car
3. Wait 5 minutes (go do something else)
4. Come back to game
5. Map marker for next trial is there

Cole has an epiphany if you dilly-dally.

Or, you know...

1.- Open map.
2.- Look for "?" symbols. Read the descriptions and choose accordingly.
3.- Rinse.
4.- Repeat.

The mission automatically marks the landmarks you need to go (not even all 30 of them, just the ones you need to visit).

Peff

daviyoung said:
Yeh, my way definitely requires least effort.

OH REALLY? CAN YOU PROVE THAT?

Well, yes, it does, but you might as well read a walkthrough if you're going to do that and finish even earlier :p

daviyoung

Banned
I'm sorry, let me retract my last statement.

Just got to Arson
the plot thickens something rotten after Vice, hope Cole avenges that sonabitch

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
oh, I thought the question marks were hidden vehicles.

Gen X

Trust no one. Eat steaks.
Loved this game when I started playing it, now up to the Half Moon Murders and leading up to that I've just been getting more and more disappointed in the game. Such a shame but will still soldier on to complete it.

daviyoung

Banned
Gen X said:
Loved this game when I started playing it, now up to the Half Moon Murders and leading up to that I've just been getting more and more disappointed in the game. Such a shame but will still soldier on to complete it.

Homicide is the weakest part of the game, don't worry it really picks up during and after your next assignment.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
If you disagree can you tell me an example of when you had to use some kind pf puzzle solving skills to do anything in this game? Keep in mind I haven't gone to vice yet.
I don't disagree with what you're saying, but I don't think that is necessarily a negative.

StuBurns

Banned
daviyoung said:
Yeh, they're ? symbols. Correct me if I'm wrong but a set appear after every few xp levels.
That's right yeah.

I've just finished all the random side missions, I enjoyed them more than the real missions. Some actually challenging material in there. I really wish I hadn't had my partners drive me around everywhere and done them as they came up.

Clunker

whitehawk said:
It's also a small thing to get over. Deal with it.
Seriously, especially considering how minor of a role shootouts play. If you don't waste your time with the filler street crimes, anyway. I'm on the third Vice case, and I can count the number of in-game shootout segments on two hands so far, each lasting maybe 2-4 minutes.

The controls are definitely wonky in the action scenes, but they're all so minor anyway. I really do wish they were remappable, though; these flaccid PS3 triggers are terrible, I need to get me some of those real trigger things.

StuBurns

Banned
Clunker said:
Seriously, especially considering how minor of a role shootouts play. If you don't waste your time with the filler street crimes, anyway. I'm on the third Vice case, and I can count the number of in-game shootout segments on two hands so far, each lasting maybe 2-4 minutes.

The controls are definitely wonky in the action scenes, but they're all so minor anyway. I really do wish they were remappable, though; these flaccid PS3 triggers are terrible, I need to get me some of those real trigger things.
Shootouts are much more common towards the end, some very GTAish combat encounters are coming.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
question about the game bricking PS3s. I have a PS3 I haven't updated for ages. Should I update the firmware and patch the game, or just run the standard game offline (read somewhere that helps)?

original 60GB BC launch PS3, just want to be careful.

Dabanton

mrklaw said:
question about the game bricking PS3s. I have a PS3 I haven't updated for ages. Should I update the firmware and patch the game, or just run the standard game offline (read somewhere that helps)?

original 60GB BC launch PS3, just want to be careful.

I'm sure it's the older PS3's that LA Noire is affecting the most. They released an update on friday morning for the game not sure what it does.

But i'd run it offline first to see whether it kicks your fans into high gear.

JonCha

Currently doing the second Vice case. At the point where you have to
tail some guy who definitely, definitely isn't lying.
. Strangely this is the period where I am at least enjoying the game, perhaps because of my companion. Perhaps that's just the frustration talking though. I've loved it up to this point.

Dabanton

Clunker said:

I dug mine out when i got the game last friday as driving around and shooting felt severely supbar on the PS3 controller added my real triggers and the game plays much,much better now.

Seriously go and get some asap.

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
finished homicide last night.. ending wasn't really unexpected and was sort of cliche, but I still enjoyed it. the entire last case was IMHO the best sleuthing of the game so far. I actually solved every one except for one (I was confused because I didn't have all of the landmarks and didn't know that some of the question marks on the map were undiscovered landmarks). also the reference to
silence of the lambs
at the end was kind of cool and fun.

onto vice now. hoping for things to get a little mixed up in vice. by the last real case in homicide it had gotten to a very "rinse and repeat" feeling.. even a little change (like the last case for example) is enough for me though.

Dabanton

Dries said:
Can you download and play the pre-order cases yet? (PS3) Haven't followed the PSN news lately.

Nope the PS Store button flashes and taunts you on the start screen. I dare not click as i heard it can crash your game.

Drame

I have hard time catching the bad guys alive.

I make a really grim face always when I see the hearse taking them away.

Especially with situations that involve hostages.

Any tips?

iNvid02

Drame said:

Any tips?

Same here, im starting to think the only thing you can do is end them

I made the mistake of trying to "apprehend" a guy in the street crime cases and he blew a shotgun in my face. So now i always try to kill them

Dabanton

Drame said:

Any tips?

I asked on friday it seems that you can only kill them.

Which is pretty lame..

Grisby

Drame said:

Any tips?

No, most of the time it will end in a shootout. I even hit them in the legs for good measure and they still traveled to the great beyond.

TeK-DeLorean said:
Man, I would love to see mass effect use this face capture technology..

Better yet, if this team would make a new "Snatcher" game like this... my god.

Fuck it, I'll take any futuristic Blade Runner type game like this.. The only downside I see to this type of game is that the replay value is really slim to none imo.

This!

`Moe Joe.

Banned
The game feels far too much like the Getaway.

On one front it is an uncontrollable and linear cinematic experience, like the getaway. However instead of watching the cutscenes uselessly, you can observe faces and pick whether what a person says is fanciful or true - the result of this being a random line of dialogue spouted by the protagonist, that no player could predict or foresee.

The comparison to the getaway is solely drawn in the action sequences. The game runs on scripted rails and even though your controlling phelps who is chasing the bad guy, you're really only steering the action as it plays out for you.

Team Bondi had access to Euphoria which would add depth and diversity to the game's sequences. Why the fuck didn't they take advantage of it? Controls like a game of last gen, but the graphics and motion capture is ahead of its time I'll give it that.

MalboroRed said:
I wish they had a better checkpoint system instead of having to go through the ENTIRE case all over again just because you get ONE interrogation choice wrong.

There are save checkpoints after each major development, like uncovering a new location, POI, or brining in a suspect.

TeK-DeLorean said:
Man, I would love to see mass effect use this face capture technology..

Better yet, if this team would make a new "Snatcher" game like this... my god.

Fuck it, I'll take any futuristic Blade Runner type game like this.. The only downside I see to this type of game is that the replay value is really slim to none imo.

I know some ugly people, but no one who looks like Garrus.

Brinbe

Just beat it. Definitely fun, certainly ambitious, but ultimately, wasn't as satisfying as I had hoped. However, I recognize that a foundation/groundwork has been laid, and I excitedly expect them to substantially build off of this in the future.

PooBone

Just finished the Golden Butterfly case on the homicide desk last night. I feel like this game has its problems but it's way more fun to me than Red Dead or GTA.

My main issues are this: It's boring as shit to drive around the city, and the side missions are also boring and short, so I end up just letting my partner drive most of the time.

I also feel like the conversation system ends up hurting itself by having set in stone right and wrong answers. If you could just let it evolve and go one way and not get the little rating at the end of each conversation, or the little chime to let you know you just fucked up. Why are these gamey right and wrong options there. Why can't you just let it evolve on its own without all these damn cues to let you know you fucked up? Really pulls me out of it because sometimes their "doubts" or "truths" don't make much sense. I know someone is lying but I have no hard evidence, and sometimes you do have evidence but it's as obtuse as some old lucasarts adventure game puzzle. Frustrating to say the least. I'm debating playing with a walkthrough because it's annoying as shit when I end up arresting the wrong guy because the game says I didn't read someone right or I didn't select the perfect piece of evidence.

Plissken

I'm liking pretty much everything about this game so far (just finished Homicide), but the open world aspect seems very under developed. They went and did an amazing job recreating 1940's L.A., but give you no reason to explore it. I think a couple of tweaks could have gone a long way towards making the open world aspect much better:

1) Let you play Cole during his off-duty hours. It just feels wrong to wander the city on a case, and in one case it caused me to miss out on catching people in the act of a crime.

2) While off-duty, copy Red Dead Redemption's side mission structure. Make the side missions more interesting than "drive here, kill X dudes, mission over". One side mission I thought would be a lot more interesting was the
guy who was going to jump off a building. I was hoping the game would let me try and talk him down, instead you just climb a ladder, pull him back, end of mission. That's not a side mission, it's a cutscene.
More variety and more randomness in the side missions would have gone a long way toward making me want to explore the city.

3) Have a few cases you can only start by investigating the city. How cool would it be if the film reels actually led you to a case? Like, they were bits of a snuff film, and after you collected them all you would get a case to solve the murder.

BeeDog said:
No it didn't, I just experienced a hard lock-up (sound was looping in my speakers).
Yeah, it seems to hang when try to access the PSN store which is down.

C'mon Sony, get that store back up.

I love the on-foot chases . . . they really captured some of the film Noir chases with drainpipes, roof-top chases, fire escapes, jumping fences. They are short but enjoyable.

I still love this game but it really drags at the end. I'm struggling to play more than 20 minutes at a time.

As much shit as Heavy Rain gets, at least you were emotionally invested with the characters.

kodt

Banned
canadian crowe said:
I still love this game but it really drags at the end. I'm struggling to play more than 20 minutes at a time.

As much shit as Heavy Rain gets, at least you were emotionally invested with the characters.

That is how I am feeling right now.

Facial animations = very impressive
Graphics and environment = impressive
Story = I don't really care

Also, I rage at Cole every time I hit Doubt and he acts like a complete ass.

Merino

Finished it just now. Took me about three full days of gaming. Has been a while since a game captivated me so much that I kept playing on for hours on end. However as high as the highs where as low the lows. It definitely wasn't the ultimate noir detective game that I was expecting. Nor was it the adventure game some reviewers make it seem to be.

The open world was gorgeous and well crafted and though I can certainly see it's role within the game it also made me feel sad for having such a beautiful playground and basically no way to really enjoy it. Despite this I made sure I drove to every location myself. Besides unlike others I really enjoyed the driving physics and made it a mini challenge to go as quickly as possible with as little damage as possible (and no siren off course).

I really really hope that for the sequel they manage to develop the investigation stuff even better. It did feel a little basic and limited at times and the game is incredibly linear which does damper the 'investigation' aspect enormously. I never truly felt like I was investigating as so much as moving the story along. It's clear the technique is there but I feel like they could have spend less time on the city and more on making the investigation more dynamic. Some of the cases are a bit meager on content as well (not that many clue's or questions and lot's of cutscène's and action moments). Actually for that matter they could have torn 90% of the actionscène's out and I would have been very happy gamer. It detracted from alot of the detective stuff and put me right back into shooter god-mode (ie 1 man can take on an entire army) which had nothing to do with a noire detective story.

I'll continue the rest in spoilers (end-game);
See the thing that put me off the most is the fact that the arson desk is almost entirely actionscene's that where ruining what could have been some very interesting detective case work. I really liked the twist with the private investigator but it came way to late in the game and didn't add enough to the whole. And why does Phelps not make use of case files at all? I loved the idea of looking around in case files searching for that 1 important clue. For that matter make the case files like 10 pages long to make it even harder to spot that 1 clue. I'd love a game like that.

The more and more I think about it the less and less this game is a real detective game as so much as a different beast that uses detective elements to push the plot forwards. There was just not enough investigating and the investigations did not have enough proper consequence to it. With that I'm specifically referring to the homocide desk where you are (sometimes even knowingly) accusing the wrong persons to push the grandnarrative forward. Don't get me wrong I loved the Black Dahlia story line including the confusion over copycats and everyone being a seeming suspect but seeing as it makes up almost a fourth of the game it didn't leave enough room for detective work where you can actually catch the criminal due to your achievements.

I liked the story a lot though wasn't fully satisfied with the ending. Found it a game of incredible highs and amazing cutscène's with breathtaking technology that put me on the edge of my seat with every interview question I asked. It's a game that despite it's shortcomings was a pleasure to be able to enjoy but a slight double edge sword as it makes you realize how, with a few adjustments, they could have made an even better game.

Ken

Woops. :(
0ca6a18f.jpg

Didn't even kill the guy until after I got back into the car.

Top Bottom