• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Team Bondi's L.A. NOIRE |OT| Watchin' Faces, Solvin' Cases

Jackson

Net_Wrecker said:
A game can be an experience, they are not mutually exclusive.

This is true. Honestly, there's no actual word to describe this product, it's not a "game". It's not even a "game meets movie" like the Uncharted series. Those are still games. You play them, they require manual skill. Even Heavy Rain has done more to "gamify" the experience than L.A. Noire.

L.A. Noire is something else... it's like a ride on a roller coaster that has a laser pointer gun turret so you can shoot targets while you ride. The interactivity of the targets are meaningless and only provide distraction (albeit a good distraction) from the ride itself which you can't alter none of your awesome laser target shooting skills mean anything to the ride once it's over.

"Experience" is the best word I can come up with at the moment. It's not a game, but that's ok because it is really engaging and worth the money.

Tr4nce

Fong Ghoul said:
Hi. This is your 12-year-old self. I was just playing Deja Vu on NES. It's really cool - you feel like you have all this freedom to go from place to place while solving this crazy mystery. You don't know who you are, there's a murder, etc. Awesome story. I got stuck in a few places, but eventually made it through.

So what are you playing? L.A. Noire, huh? How is that?

Oh, the bump mapping on your 360 version sucks? That's a bummer. The framerate drops to 30 in a few places? GEEZ! Bummer man. So you're torn on which version you should buy, and comparing screenshots to....

This is actually a nice and good post. It shows how 'us' gamers have been spoiled, because of how much the industry has evolved. If you could somehow travel back in time, and show a NES/286/SMS gamer some gameplay video's of today's game, they would get a heart attack and laugh at you in your face. The difference is that overwhelming. And here we are today, crying about framerate issues, multiplayer issues, graphics and what not. I'm also guilty of this, but maybe it's time we stop and look back for a moment, and realise how incredibly lucky we are with how beautiful games have become. Stop accepting everything around you as being there, and realise how special some things are. This goes for normal life outside of gaming as well. Don't take everything for granted in life.

Ok, back on topic! ;)

Tiktaalik

jackdoe said:
Also, I have to say that the tech for this game is amazing. Cutscene transitions, for the most part, are seamless with no loading. Sure, people are all wowed by the faces, but I was most impressed by the fact that the game didn't take me to a loading screen for every cutscene in the game (cough GTA IV cough).

I didn't think about it until you mentioned it but yeah the loading in time in this game is fantastically short. A great achievement.

Fjordson

Jackson said:
This is true. Honestly, there's no actual word to describe this product, it's not a "game". It's not even a "game meets movie" like the Uncharted series. Those are still games. You play them, they require manual skill. Even Heavy Rain has done more to "gamify" the experience than L.A. Noire.

L.A. Noire is something else... it's like a ride on a roller coaster that has a laser pointer gun turret so you can shoot targets while you ride. The interactivity of the targets are meaningless and only provide distraction (albeit a good distraction) from the ride itself which you can't alter none of your awesome laser target shooting skills mean anything to the ride once it's over.

"Experience" is the best word I can come up with at the moment. It's not a game, but that's ok because it is really engaging and worth the money.
Interesting. I feel infinitely more involved moment-to-moment than I did with Heavy Rain, but to each their own I guess.

Jackson

Fjordson said:
Interesting. I feel infinitely more involved moment-to-moment than I did with Heavy Rain, but to each their own I guess.

I think you misunderstood. This is a far superior product to Heavy Rain because it doesn't have tons of QTEs trying to gamify every action. Instead LA Noire removes a ton of barriers of traditional gaming that other teams would need to fill in. In LA Noire you just walk around and the game handles it all for you. You don't press (A) on doors to knock or open them, you just walk to it. You don't need to drive your car around, your partner can do it for you. You don't even really aim your gun, you just hold aim and it locks on and you pull the trigger.

But this is to the benefit of the title because the experience is about the story, characters and situations, not the gameplay. Clunky gameplay would ruin this title (I think the melee fighting is the only clunky, unpolished part so far).

Fjordson

Jackson said:
I think you misunderstood. This is a far superior product to Heavy Rain because it doesn't have tons of QTEs trying to gamify every action. Instead LA Noire removes a ton of barriers of traditional gaming that other teams would need to fill in. In LA Noire you just walk around and the game handles it all for you. You don't press (A) on doors to knock or open them, you just walk to it. You don't need to drive your car around, your partner can do it for you. You don't even really aim your gun, you just hold aim and it locks on and you pull the trigger.

But this is to the benefit of the title because the experience is about the story, characters and situations, not the gameplay. Clunky gameplay would ruin this title (I think the melee fighting is the only clunky, unpolished part so far).
Ah, sorry dude. Pretty sleepy over here and misunderstood. I see what you mean.

Chuck

Still without luck
I don't know if it's been said already, but with the PS3 version if you select the 'PlayStation Store' option at the main menu, it WILL crash the game.

Amir0x

Banned
ooo Gamestop said they would ship my L.A. noire Tuesday and I'd get it Wednesday, but apparently package arrives today

sweet, hopefully I'll never have to buy a thing from them again

DrBo42

polyh3dron said:
My Amazon Release Date Delivery Shipment tracking for this game:

A55Lg.png

FFFUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU

Anyone else get this?

Yep, same here. Fuck this bullshit.

Amir0x

Banned
So PS3 version came out ahead in the Lens of Truth analysis too.

Well, now I'm doubly glad I got that version. For once, intelligent assessment of the development situation wins the day.

Dang: holy shit if you do that slide over on the PS3/Xbox360 bridge image there is a massive difference between the two. Hell, entirely new buildings show up in the PS3 version lol

Acheteedo

Question for those that have the game: does the facial animation remain impressive after the initial experience? Or do you quickly forget about it? People seem to be gushing about it less than I thought.

Acheteedo said:
Question for those that have the game: does the facial animation remain impressive after the initial experience? Or do you quickly forget about it? People seem to be gushing about it less than I thought.

I still gush over the facial animations every time I see it (granted I haven't seen the game in action yet) but there are only so many times you can say OMGZ those FACES.

Chuck

Still without luck
Acheteedo said:

It's really striking at first and remains so for me at least two hours in. I was surprised at how amazing the real time faces look during gameplay and they look almost as good as the cutscene faces.

Fjordson

Acheteedo said:
It stays great from what I've played, and probably will considering it's key to the interrogation stuff, but Bondi does a good job with immersion so that after a while you no longer feel like "Wow! Look at how real the faces are!". It just becomes a natural facet of the game.

That being said, I have snapped out of it occasionally because of how freakishly realistic the animation is. Especially when it's an actor I recognize from something else.

Amir0x said:

Well, now I'm doubly glad I got that version. For once, intelligent assessment of the development situation wins the day.

Dang: holy shit if you do that slide over on the PS3/Xbox360 bridge image there is a massive difference between the two. Hell, entirely new buildings show up in the PS3 version lol

All that crap trying to make the 360 version sound better by comparing it to YouTube video's for nothing ay... heh

jackrubyn

Amir0x said:

Really wish I had a PS3 right about now. By the way, what is this all about? http://forums.xbox.com/en-gb/uk_general_xbox_discussion/f/229/t/3029.aspx
To me the Xbox 360 version looks much better in this comparison.
EDIT: Looool. Just realized that was from the Xbox forums. Probably not the most unbiased group.

Dabanton

Acquiescence said:
And therein lies the beauty of shopping with ShopTo, if you catch my drift.

Dont R* sometimes make the online stores make sure delivery is 'held' at the post office until the day of release i seem to recall them doing that with RDR which i got from Shopto.

DanielJr82

I should've gone to the midnight release, but alas, I fell asleep. If I had my car today (I lent it) I'd pick it up, but now I'll have to wait until Wednesday.

DrBo42

jackrubyn said:
Really wish I had a PS3 right about now. By the way, what is this all about? http://forums.xbox.com/en-gb/uk_general_xbox_discussion/f/229/t/3029.aspx
To me the Xbox 360 version looks much better in this comparison.
EDIT: Looool. Just realized that was from the Xbox forums. Probably not the most unbiased group.

Did you miss the part where the screenshots were linked back to NeoGAF? Someone apparently posted comparisons of trailers. It's bs.

Dries

Mutagenic said:
I believe it's used for cover.

Sucks. I was hoping to just use my index finger for R2. Now I'll be using my index finger for R1 and middle finger to shoot with R2 :-/

Dries said:
Sucks. I was hoping to just use my index finger for R2. Now I'll be using my index finger for R1 and middle finger to shoot with R2 :-/
If it's anything like RDR and GTA IV you shouldn't have to hold R1 to stay in cover. You should be fine using your index finger for both.

Mik2121

Net_Wrecker said:
Omg omg omg Out For Delivery on UPS.

Can't wait to play it...

...at 5:00 PM when it gets here :|
Wow... until 5PM? That would suck HORRIBLE. I'm also waiting for it! But I only have to wait until
THE DAMN IMPORT STORE WHERE I ALWAYS GET THE GAMES (because I live in Japan where not even the PSN is up yet..) RECEIVES THEIR COPIES MOST LIKELY THIS FRIDAY OR MAYBE EVEN NEXT WEEK FUCK YEAH. That is, unless I wanna wait until the 7th of July to get the Japanese version, wow!............

Sethos

Banned
My Cross Battle Adapter just arrived, tested it out in SOCOM 4 - No input lag whatsoever. Bring on PS3 version of Noire with 360 controller :D

Mik2121 said:
Wow... until 5PM? That would suck HORRIBLE. I'm also waiting for it! But I only have to wait until
THE DAMN IMPORT STORE WHERE I ALWAYS GET THE GAMES (because I live in Japan where not even the PSN is up yet..) RECEIVES THEIR COPIES MOST LIKELY THIS FRIDAY OR MAYBE EVEN NEXT WEEK FUCK YEAH. That is, unless I wanna wait until the 7th of July to get the Japanese version, wow!............

Oh snap :lol

Amir0x said:

Yep, better draw distance is obvious there.

Mik2121

Net_Wrecker said:
Oh snap :lol
See? Now 5PM doesn't feel THAT far away, does it? What time is it right now over there? Even if it's still early in the morning, you probably have either work or school. And if not, just rent LA Confidential and watch it or something :p

putarorex

Mik2121 said:

Amazon does international shipping for some video games. If you don't mind the shipping charges you can get most games by the weekend after they release in the States. That's what I did with Red Dead Redemption and a few other games.

Amir0x said:
Hell, entirely new buildings show up in the PS3 version lol

It's like Red Dead Redemption’s disappearing grass, only this time it’s reversed! : O

And I gotta say......it feels a little weird buying a 3rd party game on the PS3 for me.

Tr4nce

Hey Colonial Raptor, i was just wondering. Where did you get this picture from the OP?

end874i.png

I'm really loving the artwork, and the atmosphere in it. Most likely because of the trees and the night sky. Thanks in advance!

EDIT: also, the links in the OP to the reviews don't work, because you got the links all messed up.

Edit 2: thanks Fjordson! ;)

Fjordson

Tr4nce said:
Hey Colonial Raptor, i was just wondering. Where did you get this picture from the OP?

://www.abload.de/img/end874f

I'm really loving the artwork, and the atmosphere in it. Most likely because of the trees and the night sky. Thanks in advance!

Go to rockstargames.com/lanoire and then downloads. They've got a bunch of great artwork (that one included) in various wallpaper sizes.

Mik2121

putarorex said:
Amazon does international shipping for some video games. If you don't mind the shipping charges you can get most games by the weekend after they release in the States. That's what I did with Red Dead Redemption and a few other games.
Well to be honest the store where I get the stuff sometimes gets the games a couple days after the US release. In this case it would be around the 19th if I'm lucky, but otherwise it can end up being the Friday or even Monday...
The good thing is that I get the game for around 5,500 Yen, when games here cost between 6,000 and 8,000.

TheExodu5

Banned
jackrubyn said:
Say what now?

The source got them from Mr Brit's post.

I posted those shots yesterday (which Mr Brit reposted on the next page), as I was curious about what people thought of the differences. It seemed to me like the PS3 shots were from an old build...and indeed, a user on GAF confirmed that they were. That didn't stop outside users from taking it out of context.

jackrubyn

TheExodu5 said:
The source got them from Mr Brit's post.

I posted those shots yesterday (which Mr Brit reposted on the next page), as I was curious about what people thought of the differences. It seemed to me like the PS3 shots were from an old build...and indeed, a user on GAF confirmed that they were. That didn't stop outside users from taking it out of context.
Ah, I see. But are the 360 shots actually from the 360 version? Because they look really good.

don't worry about it Exodus. people on the Xbox forums just want to have their already decided upon purchase decision reaffirmed.

those of us that have been following the game who have both systems, have already decided upon the PS3 version. slight technical edge and exclusive content. it's a no brainer if you have both platforms.

TheExodu5

Banned
jackrubyn said:
Ah, I see. But are the 360 shots actually from the 360 version? Because they look really good.

Maybe, maybe not. Could be from either version. I wouldn't put any weight into those shots whatsoever.

Top Bottom