• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Team Bondi's L.A. NOIRE |OT| Watchin' Faces, Solvin' Cases

kaskade

Is there a decent amount of costumes in the game? I like playing dress up with my characters. RDR did me right on that aspect.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
Thanks for the comments, think I will go with the 360. If I was really anal about the way games look I would have a top of the line PC.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
SCHUEY F1 said:
Still flip flopping on what version to get. So used to playing multiplatform games on the 360. I much prefer the 360 controller and achievements, but the PS3 looks better....aarrggh.
As a collector, I find it hard to pick 360 versions of games these days with those awful "recyclable" cases. Really makes the package feel cheap and flimsy.

Sony has yet to adopt this with games.

I know, doesn't matter to most folks, but it's something that has annoyed me for quite a while.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
dark10x said:
As a collector, I find it hard to pick 360 versions of games these days with those awful "recyclable" cases. Really makes the package feel cheap and flimsy.

I know, doesn't matter to most folks, but it's something that has annoyed me for quite a while.

I do like the PS3 cases. Sometimes I will get the empty pre-order 360 cases from Gamestop, if I want to switch cases. Usually multi-disc games or collectors versions are not flimsy though. Not sure about LA Noire.

Edit: Also is there a collectors edition strategy guide? I saw a few listings for one but it didn't seem correct.

TheExodu5

Banned
PS3 cases are great. Nice and thick, with an extremely solid feel to them. I also find the dimensions of the PS3 cases to be much more pleasing when it comes to presenting box art. Nintendo game cases are the worst.

Sethos

Banned
Place where I ordered my Nordic version, tells me they didn't have enough Nordic versions, so they are packaged a normal version, charged less and will send me some DLC codes down the line. Guess that's alright.

I only own a 360, but when I received my copy today from Gamestop the top of the case was cracked :(

I have other cases I could swap out, but since this particular game is a 3 Disc package I guess that option is out.

I really wish they would use better cases for the 360 games instead of this cheap flimsy crap.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
TheExodu5 said:
PS3 cases are great. Nice and thick, with an extremely solid feel to them. I also find the dimensions of the PS3 cases to be much more pleasing when it comes to presenting box art. Nintendo game cases are the worst.
Nintendo has almost always been terrible when it comes to cases. The Gamecube was one of the few exceptions.

I've been collecting SNES games again and, man, those boxes are hard to come by and are almost always in bad shape. I'm just happy that I was able to get a hold of a mint copy of Super Metroid. Looks almost as if it were just opened!

CyReN

Ebay just took down my listing for the Broderick Detective Suit, was going for a pretty penny. Anyone trading dlc by chance? Looking to get a case if possible.

dreamfall

Alright, I love it. About four hours in, just absolutely stunning. But how the hell do we save- not auto save?! After viewing landmarks, or finding vehicles, the game doesn't seem to auto-save. Occasionally, I'd die during a street crime and the progress would be reset! Is there a place to trigger an auto-save when not in a mission & just driving about?

zaidr

A few questions:

1) How do you tackle suspects running away from you.
2) Can you do it with an armed suspect running away from you?
3) Any way to sprint or speed up while running, to catch up to a suspect running away from you?
4) Any way to incapacitate an armed suspect without killing them?

Thanks!

zaidr

SixStringPsycho said:

My gamestop was offering a 50% extra trade in value bonus if you put it towards purchase of LA Noire. As in, I went in with Bulletstorm, regular trade in value was $30, but because I put the credit towards a preorder of LA Noire, its worth $30 + $15 = $45. Paid $22.67 including tax for my copy of LA Noire. Woot!

Miggytronz

SixStringPsycho said:

Traded in Crysis 2.

Gamestop Rewards said:
Got games you're looking to trade? Want to get one of the coolest games coming out this year? Then grab this coupon, your trades, and head to GameStop to get 50% more credit when you trade them toward the purchase of L.A. Noire! Monday, May 16, through Sunday, May 22

Ken

Due to events beyond our control, your package may be delayed by 1 - 2 days. UPS will deliver the package as soon as possible. We're very sorry about this unavoidable delay and we appreciate your patience.

The items listed below are included in this package with tracking number

"L.A. Noire"

Nooooo.

My copies are out for delivery! Tonight = Taco Tuesday + LA Noire. Can't wait!

Any new performance comparison info? Still need to decide which version to play :D

AdamMPSP

Slaylock said:
I'm seeing the same thing for my order: A flight delay occurred because of mechanical reasons. I was really looking forward to playing this tonight. :(

Yeah, me too. This sucks. Any ideas of what to do?

lucius

Amir0x said:
factually incorrect FUD by people unwilling to just play games and not companies.

this is the truth

That site is loading very very slow, for people too lazy here is the end summary so far:

"Although this is only our preliminary Head2Head, we can tell you that one version looks to have distinct advantage over the other. During cut-scenes, these two were pixel for pixel identical to one another. During gameplay however, the PS3′s utilization of SSAO throughout (which the Xbox 360 is completely lacking) is giving it an early lead going into our final Head2Head Analysis. Be sure to check back soon to see which version of L.A. Noire we crown the winner. Until then, enjoy Rockstar’s latest masterpiece anyway you can"

My thoughts, many of the shots look very close or equal, but there are definitely some that are almost a bit blurry on 360compared to the PS3 ones. Gmae is great though enjoy on both.

Big-ass Ramp

hella bullets that's true
Slaylock said:
I'm seeing the same thing for my order: A flight delay occurred because of mechanical reasons. I was really looking forward to playing this tonight. :(

Mine is fine. It's coming from New Mexico, though.

zaidr

I don't know how much stake to put into my anecdotal evidence, but there is a lot of pop in on the 360 version. Most I've ever seen in a game. I've had instances where I would be in an area a good 2 seconds before the incredibly low res textures would be replaced with the right ones. About 3.5 hours of playtime. Never happens while following a case though, but happened to me twice while following a random street cases.

BTW, can anyone answer the questions above. Thanks!

Ken

AdamMPSP said:
Yeah, me too. This sucks. Any ideas of what to do?
1) Pick up the game at a local store and return the Amazon copy

2) Wait a day or two for the Amazon copy

3) Go to Arizona and use your intuition to solve the case of The Delayed Delivery.

liger05

dark10x said:
Nintendo has almost always been terrible when it comes to cases. The Gamecube was one of the few exceptions.

I've been collecting SNES games again and, man, those boxes are hard to come by and are almost always in bad shape. I'm just happy that I was able to get a hold of a mint copy of Super Metroid. Looks almost as if it were just opened!

I had a Japanese cube and I loved the cases and artwork. Tiny cases which represented the size of the discs. The worst cases were the European dreamcast games. They were so flimsy it was unreal. Would break so damn easily, not to mention every case was the size of a double disc version regardless if there was only 1 disc inside. Made no sense!!!

Miggytronz

229187_1940908275059_1012983956_2336919_2930665_n.jpg

Kintaco

Damn conscious got the better of me, I was thinking of doing a Best Buy copy to Gamestop copy switcharoo. Even have the sticker removed. I guess Phelps is rubbing off on me! :) Returning the Gamestop copy later.

lucius

Big Ass Ramp said:
so how are you guys liking it?

I actually prefer it over GTA and Read Dead but I wouldn't say it deserves higher score than those games I just like this type of game more.

I should add the face animations are unmatched I was thinking it was maybe more hype before it came out but it's fantastic, used to think Heavy Rain's were good.

protonion

PS3 version, 2 hours in. I love it!
I am surprised at how smooth it is. The faces of course are the real deal. Some expressions are so realistic it's almost scary.

I messed up a bit in some conversations. At the mission complete screen it gave me a hint (something like if I did better at that part, I would have solved the case easier).

Also I somehow missed a clue though the music stopped in all areas...
Leave the hints on people!!!! Otherwise you'll just mash x at your every step. They put them there for a reason.

You cannot shoot whenever you want. However the couple of brief actions moments I had were very fun. I hope there are many more later.

Kintaco said:
Damn conscious got the better of me, I was thinking of doing a Best Buy copy to Gamestop copy switcharoo. Even have the sticker removed. I guess Phelps is rubbing off on me! :) Returning the Gamestop copy later.

I love human beings.

moai

is anyone playing with sound and vibrating clues off? i read is the way to play but is anyone having difficulties playing like this?

LProtag

bonesmccoy said:
So is anyone trying to add a bit of RPG to this? I have half a mind to make my Cole a cop that always loses it in interrogations.

Don't think the Mass Effect approach would work right if you want to actually do well or see a lot of the story in the cases.

Yen

TheJollyCorner said:
is anyone playing this in black & white for the first play-through?

I'm very tempted.
Wait, what? Is this an option in the menu or are you adjusting your TVs brightness?

timmy01

Neo Member
moai said:
is anyone playing with sound and vibrating clues off? i read is the way to play but is anyone having difficulties playing like this?
will probably turn off vibration and leave on sound. I don't want the game to hold my hand on what to do next, but would like to know if my choices are correct or not after I've made them.

Yenrot said:
Wait, what? Is this an option in the menu or are you adjusting your TVs brightness?
sort of correct on both accounts actually. :p It is an in game option, but so far as far as anyone can tell, it just desaturates the screen. most of us film noir buffs were hoping for lighting changes as well to accentuate the mood.

InsertNameHere said:
Don't think the Mass Effect approach would work right if you want to actually do well or see a lot of the story in the cases.

That is a shame. I would have liked to have the option of good cop/bad cop, at least during interrogations.

PooBone

bonesmccoy said:
That is a shame. I would have liked to have the option of good cop/bad cop, at least during interrogations.

One review I read (I think Giant Bomb's) said you see more content the worse you do.... for what its worth.

Amir0x

Banned
Dang Consol Car Case, Naked City Case AND Badge Pursuit. Guess Gamestop was the way to go

LAME I CAN'T DOWNLOAD THESE CAUSE PS STORE IS DOWN

timmy01

Neo Member
bonesmccoy said:
actually this isn't true... you don't "miss" story if you go along as the bumbling interrogator. You essentially see a "different" side of the story instead. Team Bondi has even said you will actually see MORE of the game by screwing up some interrogations, as you need to do more leg work to solve the cases as a result.

in the kotaku video (not really a spoiler here) they even got to a point where on one play through they got to the crime scene as normal, but in the subsequent playthrough something happened where they got to the crime scene at a different time and the crime was still in progress leading to a fist fight.

if you wanted to roleplay that way, I certainly wouldn't discourage it.

GABDEG

Don't really care for all of this DLC BS. Just give me the boxed copy of the game without any codes and I'll be playing that.

Just a quick question, I'm on the
The Driver's Seat
mission.

I haven't been watching this thread a lot so I'm not sure how the free roam in this game works. Do I have to constantly go after the main story case, or can I just drive around for as long as I want and do whatever? I always feel like if I dont head towards my new objective, I'll get penalized for it. Will anything happen if I start free roaming, or am I timed in getting to the case?

Top Bottom