• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Team Fortress 2 |OT3| - Murder-based Hat Simulator

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
TF2 Economy may just crash soon if Valve doesn't move fast. Item Duplication is here! Methods don't seem to have leaked yet, but people are starting to notice suspicious trades and after some research are finding that there are multiple items with the same Original ID.

Bakphoon

TF2 Economy may just crash soon if Valve doesn't move fast. Item Duplication is here! Methods don't seem to have leaked yet, but people are starting to notice suspicious trades and after some research are finding that there are multiple items with the same Original ID.

Again? I thought they fixed it...

UH OH

Blizzard

Banned
Quick, they need to crash the store/community/item servers again! That'll fix it (until they come back up)!

Yeef

That seems like it should be impossible. I mean, why wouldn't the database value for original ID be set to unique? I'm no database guru or anything, but that seems like common sense.

yeoz

It's the same duplication bug as earlier, more or less. Can't really go into detail without revealing how to do it though.

mojiimbo

This happened before like a month ago and they were able to fix it pretty soon. I forget but I think it had something to do with simultaneously trading through both Steam trade and in-game.

Alienups

Last time they trade banned the people who duplicated items and then wiped them. They won't let the economy crash.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
I predict Vintage Vintage items to counter this tomfoolery.

The people who actually trade unsuals I don't think will be super affected since they view IDs and 'know' hat owners and such. It's just people who aren't in that circle getting 'scammed'.

I can't see Valve punishing people who get duped items so my guess is stuff like TF2WH gets dumped legit items from unusual trades and the dupers make a profit before they get banned or whatever.

mojiimbo

Hats and unique items are found by unlocking crates, crates are unlocked with keys, and keys can be acquired for free, basically at the equivalence of 18 dropped weapons to one key. (They may also be bought for actual money, too.)
Um...sure.

The analyst isn't much better. From what I could tell he got to the $50 million figure largely by using a fixed drop rate of 11 items(which will seem a bit high to anyone using idlers) per every other concurrent user(he figures half of the hours played come from users over their weekly drop limit) per hour(!!!) and then using this as a uniform weekly figure going back to May 2009, ignoring the shift in the game when it went F2P.

18 dropped weapons for one key? :lol I hope those aren't the numbers this so-called "analyst" actually used.

haha, true.

well actually, if you manage to sell all 18 dropped weapons for a scrap (the standard fare), you'd end up with...eh...2 refined. that's damn near a key. So really, he's not far off. Sure, all of us probably just melt the shit down rather than waste lifetime trying to sell random weapons, but that estimate isn't that far off. On paper, anyway.

But they really have developed quite the economy. Especially with the keys. I look at the trading websites like tf2tp and see all the holiday items and weapons and remember that every item there was $2.50 for Valve, irrespective of what they're selling for in the open market. Must result in some nice Christmas bonuses at Valve.

Don't link to Kotaku, link to the actual site.
http://theonlinesociety.com/2011/12/the-50-million-virtual-millinery/

*Drop rate is wrong in article
**Fixed it, then refixed it. Terrible terrible math still.

nice find. as for the Kotaku article, it's the one Valve themselves linked on their service under the TF2 "recent news".

http://store.steampowered.com/news/?appids=440

http://store.steampowered.com/news/externalpost/kotaku/775975267418803661

So tell them if you're not satisfied with the article linked; not me.

Yeef

nice find. as for the Kotaku article, it's the one Valve themselves linked on their service under the TF2 "recent news".

http://store.steampowered.com/news/?appids=440

http://store.steampowered.com/news/externalpost/kotaku/775975267418803661

So tell them if you're not satisfied with the article linked; not me.
Their 'recent news' just pulls from RSS feeds when it finds certain keywords, I'm fairly sure. Probably from Google Reader. So Google is to blame. And computers.

Blizzard

Banned
Their 'recent news' just pulls from RSS feeds when it finds certain keywords, I'm fairly sure. Probably from Google Reader. So Google is to blame. And computers.
I think way back when this was added I griped about it, since there is no way to disable Kotaku showing up by default. I wish there was a way to set game news to "official update news only" so I can save myself a mouseclick or two. :p

If you guys make the scrims a regular thing, I'd actually be willing to participate. :D

Optimally, we should try to make the games actually balanced. I dunno how your last game went (because I skipped over ever post referencing it), but in my experience, in-houses are generally a steamroll on one side or the other.

fallengorn

Bitches love smiley faces
How is Friday for another session of Highlander?

Don't think I can do Friday. Thursday?

If you guys make the scrims a regular thing, I'd actually be willing to participate. :D

Optimally, we should try to make the games actually balanced. I dunno how your last game went (because I skipped over ever post referencing it), but in my experience, in-houses are generally a steamroll on one side or the other.

They were pretty one-sided one way or the other. We did have different people sub-in and out for every map... so it's not like we had consistent teams.

They were pretty one-sided one way or the other. We did have different people sub-in and out for every map... so it's not like we had consistent teams.

Ah.

Also, the more we do this, if we at least keep consistent teams, the more people will get used to each other and start working more tightly as a team. I know everyone plays on the GAF server, but half of the people are just messing around. It's not a strictly competitive scenario. It could turn into something pretty cool. U:

Blizzard

Banned
We might even have enough TF2 players on GAF to organize a small tournament. U:

Although we've tried before, and it never really panned out.
What we just did was kinda a small tournament, right? We played 3 different maps with pro highlander rules, the superstopwatch contraption, and then in the end Yeef won and pocketed millions of dollars in prize money and badges. I figure that's what tournaments are all about.

Seriously though, I don't know why everyone was constantly crashing on the second map. I think switching teams was one thing that triggered it, and I think it happened to me on foundry.

fallengorn

Bitches love smiley faces
Ah.

Also, the more we do this, if we at least keep consistent teams, the more people will get used to each other and start working more tightly as a team. I know everyone plays on the GAF server, but half of the people are just messing around. It's not a strictly competitive scenario. It could turn into something pretty cool. U:

That reminds me, I don't know how it was on the other team, but most, if not all, of our team had mics. That might have contributed to the rolls of steam.

Yeef

I actually thought Foundry was pretty balanced the first round. We had a nice back and forth. The other maps were just complete rolls though.

What we just did was kinda a small tournament, right? We played 3 different maps with pro highlander rules, the superstopwatch contraption, and then in the end Yeef won and pocketed millions of dollars in prize money and badges. I figure that's what tournaments are all about.

Seriously though, I don't know why everyone was constantly crashing on the second map. I think switching teams was one thing that triggered it, and I think it happened to me on foundry.
Apparently the 'official' highlander cvar is bugged and causes all sorts of crashes. So, instead when they do highlander tournaments in other places they just set every class to limit 1, except engineer to 2 (for switching) and don't bother with mp_highlander.

Blizzard

Banned
I actually thought Foundry was pretty balanced the first round. We had a nice back and forth. The other maps were just complete rolls though.
I suppose, though I don't think my team ever got past the middle point (did we even capture it?).

Apparently the 'official' highlander cvar is bugged and causes all sorts of crashes. So, instead when they do highlander tournaments in other places they just set every class to limit 1, except engineer to 2 (for switching) and don't bother with mp_highlander.
Valve wins again. =(

BY2K

Membero Americo
Watching the archive of the Highlander match, I really did just had one good shot the entire time.

And it wasn't even during a match.

Proven

I suppose, though I don't think my team ever got past the middle point (did we even capture it?).

Valve wins again. =(

You guys were 50% of the way capturing it while we were on your second point. We decided to rush back, and I had assumed that you guys capped it in that time. But apparently we made it back fast enough to stop you at like 90%. I didn't even realize you didn't cap it until I started wondering why I didn't see a x2 or x3 cap rate while we were on the point.

There was another point in the first or second round where I'm pretty sure you got a back cap on us by taking mid, but we quickly recapped it that time. I still haven't looked at the stream or the replays, but you can check here: http://www.twitch.tv/exmrk (scroll down)

Blizzard

Banned
You guys were 50% of the way capturing it while we were on your second point. We decided to rush back, and I had assumed that you guys capped it in that time. But apparently we made it back fast enough to stop you at like 90%. I didn't even realize you didn't cap it until I started wondering why I didn't see a x2 or x3 cap rate while we were on the point.

There was another point in the first or second round where I'm pretty sure you got a back cap on us by taking mid, but we quickly recapped it that time. I still haven't looked at the stream or the replays, but you can check here: http://www.twitch.tv/exmrk (scroll down)
It makes me feel a lot better that we ALMOST got the halfway point captured once or twice before being crushed. (actually I think we played the map twice so we got double the crushing before people started leaving) :p

I'm free pretty much everyday :/
If not Friday, possibly Weekends (whatever we decide on), or Thursday. Once a week is too little =(

Need to have Yeef decide a date, he is the organizer!

Blizzard

Banned
Watching the archive as well, Took forever to start Badwaters lol

btw What UI is that? I'm still rocking the default.
Yeah, people kept constantly crashing until Yeef restarted the server. I think people had to use a console command to switch teams, AND use a console command to join because the server was showing up as 14/12 full or something.

If you mean the class things at the top of the screen, I think that's highlander stuff. If you mean something else, I dunno.

Since the Steam giveaway thread is so backed up, I figure I'll just give this away here since I'm in the Christmas Spirit and all. This is a code for the Humble Indie Bundle #3: Crayon Physics Deluxe, Cogs, Hammerfight, And Yet It Moves, and (my personal favorite) VVVVVV.

Quote to reveal the code, and please post when you do.

Top Bottom