• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Team Fortress 2 |OT3| - Murder-based Hat Simulator

Blizzard

Banned
inb4 n0b and Toggles saying voting is terrible.
What? Voting made you play the same maps again? SHOCK AND AWE.
PsychicDude88!

I think there was some alternative voting scheme where like, you'd get a small selection of maps, and people would have to pick from those, but then if you end up without maps people like, people complain and leave the server because the maps are all terrible or whatnot.

Clearly we should introduce some sort of map rotation, since obviously we've never tried that before, and it's never ended up with some rotation that involved 3+ server-clearing arena maps in a row. *trollface*

Proven

I really figure out my top 6 valve maps (one of each category) and top 3 community maps so I remember which ones I want to play most each night. I'm an easy victim of getting caught in the flow. I think Foundry has become my favorite 5cp map, overtaking Yukon.

With Quickplay on I'm going to be tempted to join the server with a [GAF] tag again...

There's a new map out recently used in comp called cp_standin. Video of a match on it: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gElC-xIlDoo

It's not the first time someone made a map like this (I remember sometime in the first year someone made a community map in a similar style but in a desert, and it was so wide open that both teams ended up running 2 snipers and everyone hated it). I think it's interesting but... after watching the games there I feel like the capture times or capture bonuses need to be altered if this was to be ever played on a server with more than 12 people on it. I'm curious about others' thoughts.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Just played on a valve server with the guy that created The Lucky Shot. He's not very good.

Which reminds me of the time that the guy who made the Dr's Dapper Topper was playing on the GAF server. I don't think the bulk of the people who were saying how much they hated it were being sarcastic.

Tenck

Which reminds me of the time that the guy who made the Dr's Dapper Topper was playing on the GAF server. I don't think the bulk of the people who were saying how much they hated it were being sarcastic.

TF2 gaf can be as cruel as teenage girls sometimes.

Sianos

Slowly learning what the different net settings do. Probably should have learned what the different settings mean instead of just defaulting to one for "bad connection", but that's the past.

My experiments seem to have positive results, but who knows how they'll hold up against the Jank.

Slowly learning what the different net settings do. Probably should have learned what the different settings mean instead of just defaulting to one for "bad connection", but that's the past.

My experiments seem to have positive results, but who knows how they'll hold up against the Jank.

What settings?

edit- NM, i know exactly what you're talking about

Proven

Is there like a TL for comp tf2? I wouldn't mind just having some streams of some tourneys in the backround sometimes.

Unfortunately, no. I don't really keep a whole lot of track in comp tf2 because of it.

For articles and coverage alone, there's http://www.communityfortress.com for NA leagues and http://www.vanillatf2.org for Euro leagues. For forums, there aren't any that I'd personally recommend, honestly.

For videos, you generally go by caster.
There's ExTV with ExTine (the Yaooo guy) http://www.youtube.com/user/CommFT
Fatmop/Salamncer (relatively new, and good at it) http://www.youtube.com/user/Fatmop
Greaver (casts nzfortress, the Australian tf2 league): http://www.youtube.com/user/GreaverTV
and VanillaTF2's channel http://www.youtube.com/user/VanillaTVorg

ExTV generally does coverage of NA tf2 6v6 leagues, the exhibition Community vs. Pros (previously Pros vs. Pubs) games, and the odd highlander league match.

Fatmop does a mix of 6v6 and highlander, and guest stars in a lot of places.

All of these guys have streams on justin.tv or twitch.tv that you can find on their youtube pages. There's often a match on at least one of them every day, but I usually just wait for the VODs.

Worth it to note, while everyone knows that 6v6 leagues have banlists, the Euro leagues currently do only stock weapons, a few medic unlocks (primarily the kritz and ubersaw), and I think maybe the Equalizer.

9v9 leagues generally allow all weapons. Exceptions mostly come from things that have really bad bugs, like how until recently there was an issue the Detonator having the ability to get crits instead of mini-crits on burning targets.

Certain maps have "pro" versions used to either "fix" the map by adding extra routes or to remove snow to increase visibility and performance. The ones mostly used right now:
coldfront->warmfront (removes snow)
viaduct->pro_viaduct (removes snow and adds extra routes)
turbine->pro_turbine (adds an extra route)

There was also a pro_fastlane. I really didn't like it.

Edit: An "unfinished" frag video has reminded me that Euro does allow the medic crossbow, but doesn't allow the Equalizer. The offending video here: http://youtu.be/L4AwEhFlzyE (the latter half has sound desync, unfortunately).

Garcia

Didn't get the chance to say laterz to ya'll in-game. That was really fun, specially the blade carnage that ensued in the beginning. Will definitely join tomorrow night. Cheers!

Btw, damn Boney... nice sniping, lol.

denomes

Good games tonight, even if I did get torn up playing medic.

Holy shit, Clyde! Haha :D. This shall be fun!, and yes... you MAY kick my ass since I'm still a newbie... But I'm a quick learner >) . Great to see you around
nun
bro.

You're doing just fine, friend.

yeoz

Hey, how does artistdude do the slap every player thing that he does? I was looking at the admin menu but couldn't figure out how to do it.

Yeef

Hey, how does artistdude do the slap every player thing that he does? I was looking at the admin menu but couldn't figure out how to do it.
He just uses the console commands.

sm_slap <player>

It does partial matches as long as there's only one match. So "sm_slap jav" will slap Javaman, for example.

You can also use targeting functions like @all or @blue to slap everyone, certain teams, etc. I think there's a plugin that lets you target certain classes, but I keep forgetting to install it.

Also keep in mind that you can use admin commands straight from chat by either doing ![command] or /[command].

Using ! will show you actually saying it in chat, using / won't actually show up in chat, but will still do the command.

Proven

He just uses the console commands.

sm_slap <player>

It does partial matches as long as there's only one match. So "sm_slap jav" will slap Javaman, for example.

You can also use targeting functions like @all or @blue to slap everyone, certain teams, etc. I think there's a plugin that lets you target certain classes, but I keep forgetting to install it.

Also keep in mind that you can use admin commands straight from chat by either doing ![command] or /[command].

Using ! will show you actually saying it in chat, using / won't actually show up in chat, but will still do the command.

If I could slap all Snipers, anywhere, all the time...

Blizzard

Banned
sm_slap @all
sm_slap @all
sm_slap @all
sm_slap @all
sm_slap @all
sm_slap @all
sm_slap @all
sm_slap @all
sm_slap @all
sm_timebomb @all
I remember when this sort of thing used to happen all the time. It's only a matter of waiting until someone starts doing it right before points are captured, or to kill a someone who just killed them! *waves cane*

The great thing about slapping is that it is cumulative and hits you like 15 times, or maybe people just mashed the button. Either way, people used to slap people so that they'd bounce like crazy and get stuck on the roof, causing them to immediately get shot by someone and die.

Javaman

I remember when this sort of thing used to happen all the time. It's only a matter of waiting until someone starts doing it right before points are captured, or to kill a someone who just killed them! *waves cane*

The great thing about slapping is that it is cumulative and hits you like 15 times, or maybe people just mashed the button. Either way, people used to slap people so that they'd bounce like crazy and get stuck on the roof, causing them to immediately get shot by someone and die.

Yeah, you used to be able to spam the sme # key to keep slapping someone, but the last time I tried each time you slap someone they jump around on the list.

Tenck

Are you allowed to tell us how much money you make from the store on it?

I don't think you can.

Pretty sure even Feep (the dude who gave out the free game on GAF) wasn't allowed to talk about how much he made. I was talking to him about it when I saw his game in the top 10 list of the $5 games. He told me it was enough to put food on the table.

Oreoleo

Yeah, you used to be able to spam the sme # key to keep slapping someone, but the last time I tried each time you slap someone they jump around on the list.

Heh, yeah. Some non regular was being a turd on the server the other night and I went to do a 5dmg slap to him like 5 times and it hit him once and someone else the other 4 times. I felt bad. Never again.

I don't think you can.

Pretty sure even Feep (the dude who gave out the free game on GAF) wasn't allowed to talk about how much he made. I was talking to him about it when I saw his game in the top 10 list of the $5 games. He told me it was enough to put food on the table.

Eh they've released figures for some of the other contributors in the past. It wasn't hat specific but more like "The first 'x' contributors have already earned a combined 'y' dollars" so I'm thinking the legalese is a little different between Steam games and the Mannco store.

Tenck

Heh, yeah. Some non regular was being a turd on the server the other night and I went to do a 5dmg slap to him like 5 times and it hit him once and someone else the other 4 times. I felt bad. Never again.

Eh they've released figures for some of the other contributors in the past. It wasn't hat specific but more like "The first 'x' contributors have already earned a combined 'y' dollars" so I'm thinking the legalese is a little different between Steam games and the Mannco store.

It was in the Manniversary comic. But I'm sure they can't talk about specific figures since Feep said Valve makes you sign a very strict NDA.

Are you allowed to tell us how much money you make from the store on it?

I make 5% of the contributor share, which is 25%

...so I'm not making much heh

It's more than generous considering I only suggested he add a bolo tie to it and drew a quick concept for it

I really hope it gets in, and it's not just Valve saying stuff and then forgetting they said it :(

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
I make 5% of the contributor share, which is 25%

...so I'm not making much heh

It's more than generous considering I only suggested he add a bolo tie to it and drew a quick concept for it

I really hope it gets in, and it's not just Valve saying stuff and then forgetting they said it :(

If it makes $1,000,000, you will get $12.5k

You will likely get $15

Oreoleo

I have that strange desire to throw my keyboard tonight, so I'm going to be passing on TF2. Lot of pent up rage I guess.

I was going through the same thing the first half of the night when I didn't want to play heavy but my team just kept being horribly, HORRIBLY awful so I was kinda forced into it for the second half of the evening. And I was not a happy camper. Sorry to anyone I may have taken it out on.

Warpath and Castle made up for it though :D
We should play those slightly more often.

I must have been on for 4 hours on GAF server today.

Dude, same. Can't remember when I played so much TF2 in one sitting.

Oreoleo

Oh! And I finally got my very own Borgnine spray! So that was nice.

tgSJK.jpg

And @Yeef: What's the "Yeef Queef" award on the stats site? "X times in your general direction." Can't figure it out.

Yeef

And @Yeef: What's the "Yeef Queef" award on the stats site? "X times in your general direction." Can't figure it out.
it's either times you've been airblasted or times you airblasted others. I can't remember. Borgnine is in charge of award names and descriptions, so ask him.

Oreoleo

it's either times you've been airblasted or times you airblasted others. I can't remember. Borgnine is in charge of award names and descriptions, so ask him.

Ah, it's definitely times being airblasted then as I manage to have the top spot today despite not playing pyro at all.

Top Bottom