• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tetsuya Nomura makes sure his protagonists look attractive because people don’t want to look ugly in the game world too

There are tom of "mundane thing" simulators out there. I for example have hundreds of hours in truck simulators. Mundane as it is, it's appealing because this is not my day job. I somehow doubt real life truckers go back home and keep on trucking virtually.
Not yucking in anyone's yum, just funny how many people want to escape reality by jumping back into it. Bottom line is we're lucky to have the huge variety of games to pick from.

Synastry

Ask deeply in your soul, and pick one set.

lightning_kain_tifa_d012.png

GW4PPNWWAAAAUAg.jpg
Yup there's a reason my gaming library is dominated by Asian games.

I wholeheartedly agree with him. Attractive characters are more aesthetically pleasing and an escapism from real life. Honestly though, I really don’t think the average gamer remotely cares about how attractive their characters are. If they did, the games with average or ugly looking characters wouldn’t dominate the sales charts month after month I feel.

Also, I don’t understand why those people hate attractive characters in games, but embrace them in movies, TV shows, commercials, music videos, social media, etc. Makes no sense to me.

Last edited:
No lies detected. Why western entertainment industries keeps shooting its own foot, I'd never know
It's what happens when "gamers" are the ones buying and playing games, but game Devs are not playing their own games. As in when there is a segregation and game devs think their customers are inferior people they need to lecture and teach.

In Asia, game devs also play games and know what they want to play. In the West that has been lost. In the West games are being funded and designed by people who don't play the final product. Basically like having Vegans deciding the quality of steak they sell.

Last edited:

Myths

Yes, clearly we never knew. But this isn’t a shot Nomura calls, this is SE wanting their characters to look somewhat metro and young.

Kinda blows my mind that because of this classmate's input, it really affected his design choices that since then have become some of the most recognizable characters in gaming. Small things can have big impacts.

Last edited:

EDMIX

Writes a lot, says very little
What is people's problems with pleasant looking people in gaming? Why single out games?

TV Shows:

Arrow-Cast-arrow-40606854-1080-1080.jpg

00-smallville-cast.jpg

Movies:

39nstYsfjR6ggyKTtB4Joga2fs8.jpg

dune-cast.jpg

I don't think anything is wrong with it, I love CW shows too lol

But it does come off as fake, plastic, shallow, superficial etc Keep in mind, I have nothing against those shows btw, simply it shouldn't be a either or, as in that idea should never been see as a absolute as many on here ignorantly seem to be spreading.

You can like The 100, Arrow and One Tree Hill, you can also like Breaking Bad, Ozarks, For Honor etc

Its just odd for folks to make it sound as if gaming MUST only have this weird ass fake glam type of thing lol

So if anything, why single out those shows?

If you understand we have shows like that AND we have shows with a whole type of different themes and actors that are not seeking to have the whole cast look like they are Vouge Models, then I'm sure you get both of those ideas can exist with gaming.

All gaming shouldn't be CW
All gaming shouldn't be AMC / HBO etc

Not everything needs to look like some Teen Bopper thing from 90210 lol

Rhazer Fusion Rhazer Fusion "Also, I don’t understand why those people hate attractive characters in games, but embrace them in movies, TV shows, commercials, music videos, social media, etc. Makes no sense to me."

???? huh? How do you know those same people "embrace" that? For all you know, they might dislike that idea just as much in TV shows, films etc.

Look, the same person that might be against this for some activist thing in games, sounds like they'd make that same stance on like a show or something, so I don't know where you are getting someone hates this in games, but LOVES this in shows as I don't know if anyone where is saying that. (if they are, I apologize in advance if maybe you were referencing someone)

Last edited:

EDMIX

Dayumm ... some of the changes are so much win

I particularly like some of these

Qzj9lkq.png

ukaHD8I.png

08Y6Ein.png

Game might not be dead if it has better design and more character in it NGL

For stuff like this, there really isn't a right or wrong as it just comes down to preference and subjectivity.

Like for the first one, I like the hair and backwards hat better, but I like the glasses in the alt one.

For the second one, I like the hair on the alt and glasses, but I like the color on the original hair better

For the last one, I like the alt better entirely.

This is one of those things you can pick and choice and swap out different things etc

Imho, I don't believe even if all of the alts you shown where in the game, that it would succeed. We've seen games fail in which we had zero threads on here talking about fashion or how they looked lol I don't buy just looking good opens that door, you still need to play a game that is fun and using the logic its failure was based on looks is like acting like a non-functional game would succeed if you had those alts in it.

What would they be playing exactly? lol

Consider this, I like the way the robot looked myself and I didn't even fucking buy this game, so liking how something looks is part of it yes, you still need a working game that people like, I think it just missed the mark on getting MP players on board in a really crowded market.

Look at it like this, look at FFXIV reboot

You think Concord would succeed if Sony just happen to use all of those Alts you just posted and launch the game next week or something?

yogaflame

Games made in South Korea, Japan and China are now getting popular in gaming world. There games are not so infested with force Dei and twisted woke agenda espescially twisted gender ideology.

Last edited:

EDMIX

Where is fable 4 "girl"?

I don't have anything against the Fable Girl cause she looks like she belongs in the world, like some goofy looking person or something lol

i haven't played the IP since 2, but I do recall they had some stylized type look to em

I’m just mad that no one gives Skyrim its credit as the true originator of ugly characters as a design choice.

Ugly and dirty. Can’t forget the dirt,

You have to run mods just to avoid the ugly.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
I’m just mad that no one gives Skyrim its credit as the true originator of ugly characters as a design choice.

Ugly and dirty. Can’t forget the dirt,

You have to run mods just to avoid the ugly.
Oblivion and Morrowind too… not sure how much of that was a choice and… mmmh.

MMaRsu

Agreed. I just don’t understand why any developers would intentionally make a protagonist ugly…. Horizon ands Gears guy
Gears guy?

You mean Marcus fucking Phoenix?

He's a badass soldier been through a lot of shit, you want him looking like Brad Pitt?

Natsuko

It is what it is. Looks just play a role. Pokémon? I choose what I find cute. Shin Megami Tensei? I want the cool-looking demons. Character creation? Why should I mutilate my character.

And no, they don't have to be sexy. I don't need big breasts or a big bum. But I don't want to look at some 0815 character who looks like a nerd who never crawls out of his cellar and eats too many chips, with traces of which he touches his greasy controller. Less visually appealing characters are okay if they fit the setting, game, etc. I don't need a character in GTA with a trendy hairstyle who goes to manicures and pedicures and wears make-up.

The characters in the bottom row look like a clown show. Maybe they should have developed a circus simulator if they wanted characters like that.

Elitro

Yes and No. Playing good looking characters is ofc enjoyable, but when looks are too 'perfect' also makes the game seems a bit too fake. Example, every armor and character in ff14 just look perfect compared to WoW. Basic armors look super intricate and unrealistic. I enjoy having a bit of diversity as well, more 'grounded' looks.

EDMIX

Gears guy?

You mean Marcus fucking Phoenix?

He's a badass soldier been through a lot of shit, you want him looking like Brad Pitt?
Thank you, this 100x

This needs to simply be up to the artist.

Everything doesn't need to be Glam Teen Bop
Everything doesn't need to be art house realistic

but this should be up to the developer to decide when it fits their concept and core narrative.

Marcus Phoenix is a great example of a character not made to be pretty, whos core concept is to be a rough, tough, seen shit, take no shit type of person, not Brad Pitt, not Robert Pattinson lol

so when someone says

'I just don’t understand why any developers would intentionally make a protagonist ugly"

Well....that is why this person is not an artist and they are lol

I nothing is wrong with an attractive character of the concept fits this type thing, however I find it strange when someone argues for it IN ABSOLUTION, it becomes really fucking weird and strange, like big titty Peach, Sexy Bower, Locus need to be SEXY DAMNIT! lol

Last edited:

Fahdis

Man you guys are hella dorky and picky about sexiness. While I get wood just thinking about God of War 3 Harpies and Medusas and of course the final boss of God of War 2.

Top Bottom