• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The 2015 US Open |OT| 31th August – 13th September

Status
Not open for further replies.
COpRJFVUEAA-alm.jpg:large

totoro'd

People talking about Serena being a sore loser, have you seen some of Steffi's post match handshakes? She was the queen of sore losers

oti

Banned
She always will be. Or at least until women's tennis gets back to where it was and someone then beats her records. And isn't acting like a child while doing it.

Oh come on. Serena is amazing and it's not her fault that most of her opponents seem like amateurs compared to her.

hbkdx12

Can't think of too many people who lose and should have won that are particularly enjoyable when being asked repeatedly about how badly you played.

I know its probably too soon but i need a youtube or a clip of this.

She say anything worth noting?

I'm not sad that serena lost im just sad she lost the way she did. The last bit that i caught of the match she just looked beat down and way off her game. Tons upon tons of unforced errors.

Trey

I hope this puts to rest the talks of Serena being GOAT. Evert, Navratilova, Graf, Court would have never lost that match.

Serena will go down as the greatest of all time. No one has had such a dominant vice grip on their sport, for as long, as Serena has had on women's tennis. Her beating Graff's record is just a formality at this point.

oti

Banned
Serena will go down as the greatest of all time.

Serena will go down as the most underappreciated player of all time. The hate she gets - mostly by Americans for whatever reason - is unparalleled for a living legend like her.

MIMIC

Banned
Interesting that after the last "Serena Slam", Serena also lost in the SF when she went for the 5th major.

In 2003, she lost in the SF of RG. This year, the SF of the U,S, Open

if hingis had kept away from coke and kim hadn't started a baby factory serena would not have had 21. what ifs don't count.

is this a joke? those things were their own doing. seles didn't choose to get stabbed by a nutter. It's about a fair enough 'what if' as you could ever possibly get.

John Dunbar

correct about everything
Interesting that after the last "Serena Slam", Serena also lost in the SF when she went for the 5th major.

In 2003, she lost in the SF of RG. This year, the SF of the U,S, Open

her last lost at the us open was also on september 11th, which was the final against stosur in 2011.

totoro'd

I think Serena will absolutely go down in history as one of the greatest of all time, but as long as she is missing the calendar grand slam, there will always be questions unfortunately of being the definitive greatest of all time. I have no doubt that she will equal and probably top Steffi's 22 slams though. Its a shame though that the 2 players that are above her on the most slam titles ever both have won the grand slam (Margaret Court and Steffi)

Can't think of too many people who lose and should have won that are particularly enjoyable when being asked repeatedly about how badly you played.

I really enjoyed watching LeBron answer those questions.

Fake edit: I missed the "should have won" part.

In that case, Tony Parker and Tim Duncan in 2013.

Peru

First rule of the calendar grand slam: It's never likely to happen until it happens. There's always a hurdle and slump you haven't foreseen. People hype it up after two slams? Pfft. Even after three you've got to keep it on the down low.

totoro'd

First rule of the calendar grand slam: It's never likely to happen until it happens. There's always a hurdle and slump you haven't foreseen. People hype it up after two slams? Pfft. Even after three you've got to keep it on the down low.

yep, and it's annoying how everyone kept bringing up Serena and the slam, heck there was even a commercial that kept running during the US Open that kept counting down how many matches she had left till the slam, ugh

Serena will go down as the greatest of all time. No one has had such a dominant vice grip on their sport, for as long, as Serena has had on women's tennis. Her beating Graff's record is just a formality at this point.

Easy to dominate when the WTA has been a farce for nearly a decade (since Clijsters, Henin retired and Sharapova stopped being competitive).

MIMIC

Banned

True.

At least for the fans, the hype already begins with whoever wins the Australian :)

(never mind the fact that no man has even won the first TWO -- Australian and RG -- since Courier)

LuuKyK

Easy to dominate when the WTA has been a farce for nearly a decade (since Clijsters, Henin retired and Sharapova stopped being competitive).

I agree the tour is weaker than it was, but tbh Maria is still competetive, just not against Serena. :p

I would've loved to see Serena win, but damn if I'm not enjoying the Italians' play. Do they all come from the same school of tennis? Fognini's match with Nadal was highly entertaining as well, even if Rafa's shots lacked depth. All the Italians seem to use a lot more angles, creativity, and finesse than the average player. I've been missing it from tennis after years of just power and long rallies! I hope they manage to influence the game.

szaromir

Banned
I would've loved to see Serena win, but damn if I'm not enjoying the Italians' play. Do they all come from the same school of tennis? Fognini's match with Nadal was highly entertaining as well, even if Rafa's shots lacked depth. All the Italians seem to use a lot more angles, creativity, and finesse than the average player. I've been missing it from tennis after years of just power and long rallies! I hope they manage to influence the game.

Dunno, Pennetta, Errani and Seppi are all dull players.

Milchmann

Well Italy has Camila Giorgi to even things out.

oti

Banned

Not really. Vinci's just playing old-fashioned tennis. Pennetta doesn't have real weapons and Fognini is just pure chaos.

In other words no, there is no Italian school of tennis.
The most common style is Bolletierry.

bionic77

Nice, glad she lost after her yelling and screaming tantrum.
To be fair the pressure on her was insane the closer she got.

She has gotten much better at the conferences when she lost. She used to be a really sore loser, but to be fair so were all the other teenage and young girls. Hingis used to be a total bitch but for some reason she got away with more (and I say this as a Hinger fan). I wonder why....

I hope this puts to rest the talks of Serena being GOAT. Evert, Navratilova, Graf, Court would have never lost that match.
One match makes that much of a difference?

Who are you, Skip Bayless?

Serena being disrespectful in her press-interview. lol Whats new? She is such a sore loser.

Serena as ungracious as ever in defeat. You choked. Own it.

She said as politely as possible to not ask her about certain things. She's clearly emotional about the whole thing. She was composed and dealing. She was also SUPER gracious and complimentary to Vinci. Some days, GAF....I swear. It's an effort not to type something that will get banned.

So tired of hearing this, too. Like the only reason she's good is because everyone else SUCKS. Really? The bar of the WTA is soooooo low that the sisters dominate by default? Just wait until (insert darling non-ethnic player gets back into the game. Then you'll SEE!!)That's GOT to be the reason.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom