• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The 2016 Australian Open |OT| 18th January - 31st January

Status
Not open for further replies.

valkyre

Not a fan of his robotic game or screaming at ball kids or his king kong celebrations. Can't do anything about it, sorry.

But you are a fan of Federer droping bottles of water behind his bench as if ballboys are slaves that will go fetch his trash right?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=72Hu8frpcqk

Look every player has a different temperament. Djokovic is obviously very expressive in his feelings. Federer could seem like cocky a lot of times. Everyone has bad moments. The important thing is that they respect the game and each other. And they all have been great ambassadors (Fed , Rafa, Djoko)

I am not telling you to like Djokovic, but wishing that he will lose because you dont like him, is flat out not what a tennis fan would say, but rather a fanboy.

szaromir

Banned
But you are a fan of Federer droping bottles of water behind his bench as if ballboys are slaves that will go fetch his trash right?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=72Hu8frpcqk

Look every player has a different temperament. Djokovic is obviously very expressive in his feelings. Federer could seem like cocky a lot of times. Everyone has bad moments. The important thing is that they respect the game and each other. And they all have been great ambassadors (Fed , Rafa, Djoko)

I am not telling you to like Djokovic, but wishing that he will lose because you dont like him, is flat out not what a tennis fan would say, but rather a fanboy.

I want someone to rise up to the challenge. Djokovic is rock solid so when someone beats him it's just an epic performance, like Wawrinka last year. Used to be the same way with Nadal, that final set vs Rosol is one of my best tennis memories. Nowadays is just whatever.

Throwing bottles is bad manners, yelling at ball kids is vile.

I am here.

You did not like the rest of the arguments? Or did you just selectively chose that quote just to come up with something?

So if you all agree, why exactly are you complaining? Complain about Federer. Complain about Rafa, or Andy.

Its not Djokovic's fault he kicks everyone's ass. It's their fault not being able to match him (atrm).

Instead of applauding this man's level of tennis, people come here to bitch about why nobody stops him. What kind of tennis fans are you? He deserves more credit for what he has achieved. I dont remember people bitching that much when Federrer or Rafa was winning.

Come on.

Yeah, the thing about all this is that you're extrapolating all this from flippant comments during a match. They're not meant to be taken literally. If you want to engage in a serious discussion, don't be disingenuous to hold single sentence comments during an actual match to be anything other than hyperbolic, jokey nonsense. It's banter during a match and, as such, it's meaningless. Oh, and it's utter bollocks to say nobody was complaining when Rafa and Roger were winning.

ZoddGutts

People kind of did though. The Wimbledon women's final even managed to beat the men's final for UK viewership one year in the mid 00s because a lot of people were bored of his dominance (especially before Nadal became a force off clay).

Pretty boring when there's no one good to compete against at that time. Meanwhile Djokovic is winning against tougher competition for awhile now.

valkyre

Yeah, you're projecting a whole lot that isn't there. Who on earth is acting like Djokovic is some kind of fluke and that we're all salty and really, really upset that he won. He's the best player in the world, maybe on his way to rivaling Federer as the greatest of all time and he's an incredible athlete who makes final after final He's a nice guy, even. His losing speech in the French Open final was gracious and touching, but I absolutely enjoy rooting against him. Simple as that. I'm a Murray fan and Nadal fan. Ultimately, though, I don't care enough for it to affect my mood whoever wins or loses. I enjoy the moment and I enjoy the tennis. This "tears" stuff is just childish. Take that to the demented nuthouse that is MTF.

The "tears" comment is childish and it is specifically targeting equally "childish" comments here when Djokovic wins. There are a lot of comments like that.

My post specifically targets this childish behavior and returns the favor. Simple as that.

As for the rest, you obviously arent the target group of the one I present in my post. So my post doesnt refer to you. At least from what you are describing....

As for the ones that my post does refer to, sorry, its pretty much spot on.

The amount of people wishing Djokovic loses is nothing compared to previous No1 players. Let me give you another current example.

Do you see equal treatment towards Serena Williams? Are people rooting against her incredible roll as much as they do with Djokovic?

You see people rooting for Sharapova to win against Serena? No. You dont. Serena has won 18 straight times Sharapova and all you see after every defeat is comments of awe about Serena and a lot of teasing towards Maria fans.

This is a perfect example as to how much bias there is about Djokovic. I can relate to rooting against the favorite, as long as it applies everywhere in all situations and eras.

If you are that kind of guy cool. I am with you. But this is not the case here...

valkyre

I want someone to rise up to the challenge. Djokovic is rock solid so when someone beats him it's just an epic performance, like Wawrinka last year. Used to be the same way with Nadal, that final set vs Rosol is one of my best tennis memories. Nowadays is just whatever.

Throwing bottles is bad manners, yelling at ball kids is vile.

You act as if he does it frequently as hell... and you exaggerate in a way that it seems that Djoko is one step away from hitting ballboys with his raquet...

szaromir

Banned
The amount of people wishing Djokovic loses is nothing compared to previous No1 players. Let me give you another current example.

Do you see equal treatment towards Serena Williams? Are people rooting against her incredible roll as much as they do with Djokovic?

People aren't as engaged in WTA, simple as that. And no, the cheering against Nadal was pretty much universal here back in 2013. Little did we know that another dark era is upon us.

valkyre

People aren't as engaged in WTA, simple as that. And no, the cheering against Nadal was pretty much universal here back in 2013. Little did we know that another dark era is upon us.

What is this "people are not that engaged excuse"? Sorry but that doesnt make sense. And it is a pretty poor excuse.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
I actually really like Djokovic and if you check past threads you'll frequently find me cheering him on against Federer or Nadal. Nevertheless, this might have been the first time I ever cheered for Federer, and the reason is simply that I like upsets as much if not more than I like Djokovic. I'm British, I can't help but root for the underdog.

Niraj

I shot people I like more for less.
i would just like to say that i would rather see raonic win than djokovic. raonic. do you not see what djokovic has done to tennis?

lol truly the end times.

Glad I didn't stay up for this, but at least he didn't lose in third round again I guess. Progress :p

szaromir

Banned
You act as if he does it frequently as hell... and you exaggerate in a way that it seems that Djoko is one step away from hitting ballboys with his raquet...
I don't exaggerate anything, he did that on multiple occasions. You didn't mind it, I didn't like it. Why are you so hell bent on changing my opinion? If he wins on Sunday, he'll deserve it and good for him and his fans, but I would like to see play Murray or Raonic even better than him, that's all. Murray is a broken man so I suspect he'll bend over as usual, maybe Raonic has a chance being in the form of his life, I doubt it but one can hope.
What is this "people are not that engaged excuse"? Sorry but that doesnt make sense. And it is a pretty poor excuse.
I don't care if someone dominates in bowling or Super Smash Bros either. Sorry, can't do anything about it.

The "tears" comment is childish and it is specifically targeting equally "childish" comments here when Djokovic wins. There are a lot of comments like that.

My post specifically targets this childish behavior and returns the favor. Simple as that.

As for the rest, you obviously arent the target group of the one I present in my post. So my post doesnt refer to you. At least from what you are describing....

As for the ones that my post does refer to, sorry, its pretty much spot on.

You see people rooting for Sharapova to win against Serena? No. You dont. Serena has won 18 straight times Sharapova and all you see after every defeat is comments of awe about Serena and a lot of teasing towards Maria fans.

This is a perfect example as to how much bias there is about Djokovic. I can relate to rooting against the favorite, as long as it applies everywhere in all situations and eras.

If you are that kind of guy cool. I am with you. But this is not the case here...

Obviously, I, being British like Crab, have a fondness for rooting for the underdog. I also have my favourites as well, namely Murray and Nadal. It's been something of a quirk of mine that often I will root against a dominant champion in times where they clean up and wipe the entire competition off the board, but come round to them when they're no longer the best and have to show a different side to their character. I never liked Sampras much when he was winning everything, but I always thought there was something utterly compelling about watching a great champion fading away trying to recapture former glories. I loved watching him play in later years, when Hewitt and Safin could take him apart when he was off his game. The 2001 US Open final is a great bittersweet moment in tennis for me.

For that matter, I've only begun to really like Federer recently. His quest to add one more slam to his tally in face of younger, superior competition is a compelling narrative. The problem with Djokovic, now that Nadal is all but finished, is that he doesn't have a rival that can help define him. He's too good and in a strange way, he's being punished for being so utterly peerless that nobody can consistently give him a match. The Federer/Nadal rivalry softened Federer to a lot of people who probably got sick of him winning, it also became a great story that helped sell tennis to casual fans. I think people enjoyed Djokovic more when himself and Nadal were taking slams off each other, to be perfectly honest. Now, he's just the guy we root against, but at the same time, I think most here appreciate just how bloody good he is. How can you not.

valkyre

I don't exaggerate anything, he did that on multiple occasions. You didn't mind it, I didn't like it. Why are you so hell bent on changing my opinion? If he wins on Sunday, he'll deserve it and good for him and his fans, but I would like to see play Murray or Raonic even better than him, that's all. Murray is a broken man so I suspect he'll bend over as usual, maybe Raonic has a chance being in the form of his life, I doubt it but one can hope.

I don't care if someone dominates in bowling or Super Smash Bros either. Sorry, can't do anything about it.

Please explain...why are you acting as if my original post was referring to you specifically?

If you feel that you belong in my target group, but then come here to present arguments as if you arent, then I dont know what exactly is your point.

I am talking about childish behavior like this:

"Omg he is destroying tennis, someone stop him"

or

" i would just like to say that i would rather see raonic win than djokovic. raonic. do you not see what djokovic has done to tennis?"

This is the kind of posting material I was/am referring to.

I never told you to be a Djokovic fan or try to change your opinion as you wrongly stated.

You can root for whoever you want. You can like whoever you want.

But people saying that Djokovic "destroys" tennis is pretty damn fanboyish as hell.

The game becoming boring is as much reason as Djokovic being in amazing form as everyone else's inability to match him. If you think about it it's more their doing (the collective rest of atp players) rather than Djokovic's.

valkyre

Obviously, I, being British like Crab, have a fondness for rooting for the underdog. I also have my favourites as well, namely Murray and Nadal. It's been something of a quirk of mine that often I will root against a dominant champion in times where they clean up and wipe the entire competition off the board, but come round to them when they're no longer the best and have to show a different side to their character. I never liked Sampras much when he was winning everything, but I always thought there was something utterly compelling about watching a great champion fading away trying to recapture former glories. I loved watching him play in later years, when Hewitt and Safin could take him apart when he was off his game. The 2001 US Open final is a great bittersweet moment in tennis for me.

For that matter, I've only begun to really like Federer recently. His quest to add one more slam to his tally in face of younger, superior competition is a compelling narrative. The problem with Djokovic, now that Nadal is all but finished, is that he doesn't have a rival that can help define him. He's too good and in a strange way, he's being punished for being so utterly peerless that nobody can consistently give him a match. The Federer/Nadal rivalry softened Federer to a lot of people who probably got sick of him winning, it also became a great story that helped sell tennis to casual fans. I think people enjoyed Djokovic more when himself and Nadal were taking slams off each other, to be perfectly honest. Now, he's just the guy we root against, but at the same time, I think most here appreciate just how bloody good he is. How can you not.

Man, you seem like a Tennis fan, not the kind of posting material i was referring to. You also seem like a cool lad, I too, like to root for the underdog a lot of times. At the same moment though, I am excited when someone performs in a level that nobody seems to be able to match. It excites me, its by itself a good story as well. Its testament to someone's level of play.

Now I agree with most of what you say here, but if I have to disagree with something , its that you present the case as if Djokovic hasnt been playing in this level for years. Its not like that. His rivalry with Fed and Nadal shows that it was too close for most of the time. Djoko really dominated only 2 years, 2011 and 2015. Yes he did it in incredible fashion. But that doesnt mean that he will always be in that level. Its crazy.

Its not that Djokovic has it "easy" atm, its because he is just too damn good. He can still lose if he has an off day as seen a few days ago.

I like all sports stories. I like the underdog story, but I also like the incredibly gifted champion/individual who smashed a sports record. Each story is great for its own reasons.

I dont find the 100m dash boring because Usain Bolt is kicking ass. I am amazed at his seemingly inhuman performance.

Djokovic has a great run, I am excited to see where it goes. It could end this weekend. It could end next year. Either way, for me, Tennis wont be boring. Just like people are applauding Serena, same way I am doing for Djokovic.

For that matter, I've only begun to really like Federer recently. His quest to add one more slam to his tally in face of younger, superior competition is a compelling narrative.

Yeah this. It doesn't seem unreasonable to want the old man to get one more moment before he retires. It was the same for me with Sampras, I used to root for Agassi and Ivanesivic and company against him when they were the underdogs, but when Pete started losing to Hewitt and Safin I started rooting for the old champion to get a last hurrah.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
But Federer already had his one last run - it was in 2012, when he hadn't won a slam in two years by that point. :p

oti

Banned
The "Djokovic destroys tennis" is like "PC master race" to me. It's so dumb I can't but get in on the ride. It's just dumb fun.

MIMIC

Banned
Oh, really? Placing faith in Raonic....okay.

Raonic has been playing out of this world. I honestly can't see Murray getting past him. Both Wawrinka and Monfils were undefeated against Raonic....and Raonic has already beaten Murray twice on HC.

From what I've seen, Murray is going to play right into Raonic's hands. Raonic is hitting the FH deep, giving his opponents very little time to react. And he's also charging the net, cutting off their options even further. Murray has incredible defense and is amazing at passing, but Raonic isn't giving his opponents time to defend. He's playing on another level. He's playing fearlessly.

szaromir

Banned
Please explain...why are you acting as if my original post was referring to you specifically?

If you feel that you belong in my target group, but then come here to present arguments as if you arent, then I dont know what exactly is your point.

I am talking about childish behavior like this:

"Omg he is destroying tennis, someone stop him"

or

" i would just like to say that i would rather see raonic win than djokovic. raonic. do you not see what djokovic has done to tennis?"
You shouldn't take those comments at face value, really. As for the second quote, Raonic is generally seen as boring, both game and personality wise, but at these point people would rather see how he can play at the highest level and react to his win (if he wins), than to see something they've seen like 12 times in the past year.

There are probably some (but very few) with personal gripes against Djokovic that want him to lose, but most people just want a different script to play out, really.

The "Djokovic destroys tennis" is like "PC master race" to me. It's so dumb I can't but get in on the ride. It's just dumb fun.

It's silly, the guy is too good for everyone at the moment, but we're living in history here watching an incredible athlete do things that may never be done again for a long time. I hope Murray, if he comes through, can beat him, but I won't deny that if Djokovic does win, it's an incredible feat. I just wish Murray could get his game to a place where he could turn this into a meaningful rivalry. It would be good for the sport. At the moment, it's like watching Federer vs. Roddick back in the day.

Ricker

Crap,Raonic match starts at 3:30 A.M. for me...well at least I will get to see the end of it,even lots of it if it goes to a 5th set lol...

I'm a huge Federer fan but cannot deny Djokovic is on another level of tennis right now.

I mean, Fed is basically 35 years old. And can pretty much beat everyone else on tour fairly easily. Top 15 players are a breeze. But Djokovic makes HIM look like child's play. It's crazy.

Djokovic is literally the only thing stopping Federer from winning slams all over the place. At that age it's pretty impressive IMO, and really tells a lot about his skill, and then Djokovics.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
Djokovic's level in sets 1 and 2 was absolutely unbelievable. Probably the best tennis you'll ever see in your life. You could pick any tennis player in history and put them there and they'd lose. Honestly, I'm impressed Federer rallied enough to take a set at all.

ogbg

Djokovic looks unbeatable. I'm a fan of Murray, being Scottish and all, but I feel like Raonic at least might be able to bring something different to the final.

oti

Banned
Lol at you people saying you were cheering for Federer so "someone else can win". Did y'all forget Federer has more GS titles than anyone? Lmao

Nuh man, I'm cheering for Federer because it's Federer. For the rest I'm cheering for whom isn't Djokovic. It's an easy system
and it always ends in tears.

RedAssedApe

Banned
didn't see the match due to time difference in the us. did roger get demolished like the scores seem to indicate or was it a lot closer? was his serve off or joker just in god mode? was 3rd set a fluke?

im actually rooting for raonic out of the remaining three. kind of always want to see some one new despite people calling him "boring"

nevermind...read the espn synopsis...looks like joker was just too good today.

Kozak

Banned
Lol at you people saying you were cheering for Federer so "someone else can win". Did y'all forget Federer has more GS titles than anyone? Lmao

I was cheering for Federer so I could enjoy some competition instead of a rout, especially considering it was a semi.

I'm sure a lot of people felt the same but couldn't find the right words.

didn't see the match due to time difference in the us. did roger get demolished like the scores seem to indicate or was it a lot closer? was his serve off or joker just in god mode? was 3rd set a fluke?

im actually rooting for raonic out of the remaining three. kind of always want to see some one new despite people calling him "boring"

nevermind...read the espn synopsis...looks like joker was just too good today.

Pretty much. The first two sets were just insane from Djokovic. To do that to the world number 3 who has been playing pretty well prior to the match, and then blow him off court for two sets. The third set wasn't a fluke, Roger played better and, understandably Djokovic's form dipped, but still, Federer was tasked with hitting some insane winners just to steal a point. It was a good set for Federer, but inevitably Djokovic always picks it up in the fourth and just did enough to get in front and finish the game off. Those first two sets were something else. Nobody could live with it.

I fear for Murray, should he get through, sure, he can give him a game over 2 hours but mentally he just wilts under the relentless pressure of Djokovic's hitting after staying with him for the first half of the match. I can't see any way of Murray winning that match on Sunday.

leng jai

Pretty much. The first two sets were just insane from Djokovic. To do that to the world number 3 who has been playing pretty well prior to the match, and then blow him off court for two sets. The third set wasn't a fluke, Roger played better and, understandably Djokovic's form dipped, but still, Federer was tasked with hitting some insane winners just to steal a point. It was a good set for Federer, but inevitably Djokovic always picks it up in the fourth and just did enough to get in front and finish the game off. Those first two sets were something else. Nobody could live with it.

I fear for Murray, should he get through, sure, he can give him a game over 2 hours but mentally he just wilts under the relentless pressure of Djokovic's hitting after staying with him for the first half of the match. I can't see any way of Murray winning that match on Sunday.

As well as Djokovic right from the start Federer's tactics were not good in the first 2 set. The way he stubbornly stood on the baseline half volleying every shot in a slugfest with Djokovic was a recipe for a beat down. Djokovic in the zone and Federer completely facilitated his rhythm by playing right into his hands. It's almost like what Djokovic did against Wawrinka in the RG final, playing the exact same way the entire time and paying the price.

It's absolutely baffling how many useless topspin backhands Federer hits against Djokovic when it's blatantly obvious that his angled slice is one of his most effective shots against him. Djokovic's backhand is far less threatening when he's returning a low sliding slice that makes him step into the court. Compared to the floppy and slow topspin backhand Federer hits that bounces right into his hitting zone, it's night and day. Of course in the third set he started hitting more slice and playing with more variety which instantly yielded better results, and contributed to Djokovic's drop in level to a degree. It was 15 minutes there of vintage Federer, and even then he battled for almost every game he won.

Federer wasn't winning no matter what he did but he could have done better in the first 2 sets.

Peru

CZ3umzTWcAAyUZM.jpg

Dr.Acula

Banned
I think people want to see Federer get one last one. It's always great to see an aging player roll back the clock a couple of years and win a major. Sampras in 2002, Agassi in 2003. I guess Fed kinda did that in 2012 at Wimbledon after not having won since the Aussie 2010, but c'mon!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom