• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The best first party portfolio in the industry is...?

The best first party in the industry is...

• Total voters

LakeOf9

The state of first party lineups in the industry has never been more liquid than it is now. Microsoft has gobbled up several third party publishers and seems to be going all in on Multiplatform publishing efforts, while maintaining their own console and storefront. Sony has spent the last decade building up an excellent brand of first party games under the PS Studios banner, and while they are trying to expand the range of some of their IP via porting initiatives to PC and Switch, they continue to use their games as differentiating killer apps for their consoles, lie they should be. Nintendo is, of course, the only company in the world that can get away with selling their systems off the back of pretty much their first party titles, and they maintain full stranglehold exclusivity on their games and franchises, which have been moving from strength to strength in the Switch era, critically and commercially; and Valve, the custodian of Steam, has been putting out more games in the last few years than they did in the decade immediately preceding that, with Counter-Strike 2 and Half-Life Alyx in particular signalling their intent.

Of all of these four, which is the best first party in the industry, and why?

nial

The real question will be finding the people who don't say Nintendo and for what reason they said it.
I used to be excited with Nintendo first-party games up until 2018, first because that was such a bad year for them, and then because I kinda became tired of their output.
Not to say that there wasn't stuff that interested me in 2019-2023, but it's just not enough.
I voted Sony; at least this year, I was interested in Helldivers 2, Rise of the Ronin, Stellar Blade, Astro Bot and to a lesser extent, Until Dawn and Lego Horizon Adventures. With Nintendo, though? Only Emio - The Smiling Man and to a lesser extent, Mario & Luigi: Brothership.

Last edited:

nial

only two of those are first party tho
In that case, none of these is first-party:
With Nintendo, though? Only Emio - The Smiling Man and to a lesser extent, Mario & Luigi: Brothership.
Neither Zelda: Echoes of Wisdom or Paper Mario TTYD.
But, in reality, every Sony and Nintendo game I mentioned is first-party.

Last edited:

Nankatsu

Gold Member
Your vote will be publicly visible.

We're witch hunting now?

Stare Staring GIF

Last edited:

FingerBang

I have a special love for Playstation and have barely touched my Switch in years, but any answer that isn't Nintendo is just wrong. Overall, theirs is the only system worth having for their first-party games.

Aldric

It's obviously Nintendo. They have the two best selling videogame franchises (Mario and Pokemon, and Mario will never be equaled let alone surpassed in terms of commercial success), a lot of their characters transcend videogames and are part of pop culture at large, and despite what shitposters would claim they have remarkable diversity in the genres of games they create from platformers, action/adventure and shooters to life sims, visual novels, exegames, rpgs and more, a lot of these genres being ignored by other big devs/publishers.

Fbh

Gold Member
Probably Nintendo.

I have a Switch and a Ps5, but the truth is if the Switch had zero third party support I'd probably still have bought one at some point to play Nintendo games. If the Ps5 had no third party support I wouldn't own one.

cormack12

Gold Member
I feel the online insta-answer is Nintendo with no real justification these days.

Sony first party output is industry leading and has shaped how games as a medium has developed. It's also constantly pushing tech and raising the bar.

I don't particularly mind some Nintendo games. I like MK, I even liked the remake of links awakening. But whether Mario is chucking a hat round, or changing into a cat is not really compelling.

Punished Miku

Human Rights Subscription Service
I don't even remember what games were out in 2021, i have shit memory.
Sure as hell not a wet fart like infinite.
I think it was really up in the air that year without a clear frontrunner, which is why I ask since you find Halo winning anything so offensive. I get the sense most people on here complaining would have voted Returnal, and I didn't think that was very good at all.

My list was:
1) Metroid Dread
2) The Ascent
3) Forgotten City
4) Psychonauts 2
5) Guardians of the Galaxy
6) Halo / Forza (tied)
7) Monster Hunter Rise
8) Death's Door
9) Haven
10) NieR Replicant

I don't find it that crazy that Halo won when there wasn't a dominant front runner.

Last edited:

GymWolf

Gold Member
I think it was really up in the air that year without a clear frontrunner, which is why I ask since you find Halo winning anything so offensive. I get the sense most people on here complaining would have voted Returnal, and I didn't think that was very good at all.

My list was:
1) Metroid Dread
2) The Ascent
3) Forgotten City
4) Psychonauts 2
5) Guardians of the Galaxy
6) Halo / Forza (tied)

I don't find it that crazy that Halo won when there wasn't a dominant front runner.
I liked all the games that i played in your list way more than halo (only played like half of them).

Last edited:

Roberts

In some parallel universe where I have I grown up with different interests, in a different social bubble I can see myself choosing Nintendo, but it was not meant to be. I really like some of the Sony games, but laugh all you want, I chose MS. Stories, sense of humour, weirdness, genres and overall attitude is what appeals to me the most.

Aldric

Sony first party output is industry leading and has shaped how games as a medium has developed.
That's far truer for Nintendo. Nintendo have codified entire subgenres (Metroidvania, kart racers, platform fighters, obviously platformers and action/adventure games especially 3D ones) as stated by plenty of devs who took inspiration from them.

It's also constantly pushing tech and raising the bar.
The "tech" Sony push is rendering ugly women in 4K. Nintendo democratizing gyro aiming did more for game design progress than anything Sony came up with these past 20 years.

cormack12

Gold Member
That's far truer for Nintendo. Nintendo have codified entire subgenres (Metroidvania, kart racers, platform fighters, obviously platformers and action/adventure games especially 3D ones) as stated by plenty of devs who took inspiration from them.

The "tech" Sony push is rendering ugly women in 4K. Nintendo democratizing gyro aiming did more for game design progress than anything Sony came up with these past 20 years.

They do make ugly women these days. I'm happy to concede Sony might be standing on the shoulders of giants but Nintendo are like Apple. Living off a reputation earned in a different time.

We're all here arguing about FSR and DLSS shimmer while Nintendo sit back and escape any criticism for XB which looks like missile command at times.

Aldric

Living off a reputation earned in a different time.
They're still making "industry leading" titles like Breath of the Wild that get plenty of copycats and as I stated they innovate where it counts, which is gameplay and controls. Again gyro aiming is a bigger deal for games than anything I can think of in recent memory and it's Nintendo who pushed it.

The fact Sony enthusiasts would laugh at this notion while focusing on shit no one cares about like how many clogged pores you can see on Aloycado's face while playing on your Portal is very telling.

Flabagast

PS had the best first party portfolio during PS4, but for PS5 gen it's 4/10 at best for the moment (and I am being generous)

Top Bottom