• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The best first party portfolio in the industry is...?

The best first party in the industry is...

• Total voters

Woopah

To me Sony and Nintendo seem to alternate having grest years, so there's always something for me to play.

They are both decent this year, but I'm hoping 2025 is great for both.
only two of those are first party tho
All published by Sony so all first party.
Nintendo has a handful of exciting games each gen but largely disappointing in a year to year basis with some years of nothing to play

Lots of rehashes and overrated games to boot.
They've definitely had some poor years with Switch, like 2018 and 2020, but most years have been good or better.

Last edited:

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
They all suck nowadays, but in general terms it's Nintendo.

Nope.

I did play Windwaker though, but got bored when I had to find to Triforce pieces or whatever they were.

Nintendo just isn't for me.

Edit:

Also, Playstation came after SNES and was the first console I bought myself. Been with PS ever since.

So you chose the worst part of a low tier Zelda game and swore off Nintendo based on that? You should at least have a go at Super Mario Odyssey or Tears of the Kingdom (or Super Mario 64 and Ocarina of Time if you're into the old stuff) before you write them off completely. What you did is like a Nintendo fan playing Lair and saying "Sony isn't for me".

Crayon

Oh yeah definitely Nintendo. I buy one of their games every few years and I'm only disappointed most the time. Nothing else compares.

Xbox has the most interesting upcoming slate - naturally, as the others haven’t revealed much at the moment.

In totality it’s Nintendo, although at this point it’s pretty much just about mainline Mario and Zelda for me.

Oh yeah definitely Nintendo. I buy one of their games every few years and I'm only disappointed most the time. Nothing else compares.

That's my only issue.....I buy a game from Nintendo every 2 or 3 years. And while 10 times out of 10, it's amazing, that's just not enough.

S0ULZB0URNE

Nintendo isn't the best for IP diversity sure but they have the diversity in genres and that's what counts. You get whatever

Nintendo isn't the best for IP diversity sure but they have the diversity in genres and that's what counts. You get whatever you want from them even if it's a Mario or Zelda branded type game, or surface level compared to Non-Nintendo offerings.

With Sony, they have all the different IPs in the world but their first party output plays very samey. You're doing similar feeling things in different environments

Yeah like me!

I was just predicting that Nintendo would be the most voted option in the poll. I was right. It's a lot more interesting to see the people who wouldn't vote Nintendo and why they feel that way.

Surprising cutoff point, Mario 64 and OOT didn't interest you one bit?
Nintendo is probably my choice as well I say probably cause the tech hurts them badly...but I respect people who have different choices.

Obviously Nintendo by a landslide, even though 99% of their good games were released before 1995. But those games are the timeless classics that are better than every game released since then, so yeah.

Last edited:
I'm pretty shocked at the poll, not gonna lie. Not so much that Nintendo is in first, but by how much. Doesn't make sense to me. Almost all of Nintendo's IP have fallen off in quality. The Zelda changes, while still great, arent as fun as previous games. ToTK is the first mainline Zelda game I've never beaten because while still fun, it just gets so stale with so much bloat. Similar with 3D Mario. Odyssey was good, but I played it at launch and never cared to come back to it again, unlike the galaxy games and Mario 64 which I have played so much, ive lost count. Pokemon has been a complete Trainwreck, the fact they can make those games bad... My brain can't even comprehend, they literally have a formula that can't be fucked up and still find a way. Even the smaller sport game titles aren't fun anymore. Mario golf, strikers and baseball were legit fun games back in the day (tbf, they gave up on baseball for some reason. I think the GC one was the last game). The only true bright spot I can say about Nintendo's first party is the invention of splatoon, that's a great IP and a super fun and innovative game. Outside of that, their IPs are the same as they've always been but just worse.

Kataploom

Gold Member
In some parallel universe where I have I grown up with different interests, in a different social bubble I can see myself choosing Nintendo, but it was not meant to be. I really like some of the Sony games, but laugh all you want, I chose MS. Stories, sense of humour, weirdness, genres and overall attitude is what appeals to me the most.
I picked Nintendo but I like MS more than Sony so you're not alone, I know MS games these days feel more generic but still are more gameplay focused while Sony games tend to bore me with their infinite dialogs

Field

Non of them are that good to be honest. I guess Nintendo since Sony has gotten worse recent years.

Last edited:

Killjoy-NL

So you chose the worst part of a low tier Zelda game and swore off Nintendo based on that? You should at least have a go at Super Mario Odyssey or Tears of the Kingdom (or Super Mario 64 and Ocarina of Time if you're into the old stuff) before you write them off completely. What you did is like a Nintendo fan playing Lair and saying "Sony isn't for me".
No, I swore Nintendo off before that, because i dont care about whatever it is they release.
The only reason I played windwaker was because a friend of mine used to own a Gamecube and just like some of you, he urged me to try out some games and he lend me his Gamecube with Windwaker, Viewtiful Joe and FF Crystal Bearers. I thought they were all very meh.

I just don't care bout Mario, Zelda, Metroid, Pikmin, Pokemon and whatever else they release.
Shouldn't be hard to understand.

Last edited:

Gaiff

SBI’s Resident Gaslighter
Nintendo. I’d argue Sony has gone backwards since they found out they had a talent for story-driven games. God of War turning into The Last of Us is not something I wanted.

They were at their most diverse during the PS3 era but have abandoned so many IPs. Sly, Killzone, Resistance, Infamous, Motorstorm, Socom, Syphon Filter, Team Ico games and so many more.

Nintendo wins by default even though their games don’t excite me as much anymore.

Last edited:

Trilobit

Nintendo without a doubt. There's still not enough PS first party titles that I love.

Last edited:

keefged4

Even though their recent behaviour has been absolutely atrocious, You simply cannot deny that Nintendo in the grand scheme of things, have a much, much better portfolio than the rest. Software-wise at least.

But everyone knows Sega were better back in the day

Last edited:
Out of curiosity, which are the ones you've bought recently?

Last bought (most recent first)
  • Super Mario Wonder (Amazing)
  • Zelda TotK ( Also amazing. 2023 was a good year 🙂)
  • Bayonetta 3 (ok)
  • Metroid Dread (not my favorite Metroid but decent)
Most recent years have been better but in the past, droughts have been insane.
I say this as someone who has been a Nintendo fan since day one and has owned every single console and handheld device.

Last edited:

Woopah

Last bought (most recent first)
  • Super Mario Wonder (Amazing)
  • Zelda TotK ( Also amazing. 2023 was a good year 🙂)
  • Bayonetta 3 (ok)
  • Metroid Dread (not my favorite Metroid but decent)
Most recent years have been better but in the past, droughts have been insane.
I say this as someone who has been a Nintendo fan since day one and has owned every single console and handheld device.
I definitely feel that is one of the Switch's good points, is that Nintendo has avoided droughts since they fully moved all their resources onto one ecosystem.

From last year I'd recommend Pikmin 4 and Advance Wars if you're into strategy at all.

IDKFA

I am Become Bilbo Baggins
Obviously Nintendo by a landslide, even though 99% of their good games were released before 1995. But those games are the timeless classics that are better than every game released since then, so yeah.
Eh? 99% of their best games released before 1995? You sure about that?

Sega during Genesis and Dreamcast era. Nothing else comes close in terms of quality+quantity+variety.

Last edited:
Nintendo by some margin. It's basically the gaming equivalent of Disney. If you include Pokemon which isn't an entirely Nintendo owned property, then they are pretty dominant.

Codes 208

for me its Nintendo, sony is definitely a close second though (especially from the ps4 era going forward, thats when xbox shot themselves in the foot and i started changing sides)

Buuuut if sony ever announced a remaster/remake/sequel of bloodborne, oh boy this would be much harder

Only time Sony had a chance of competing was PS3/PS4 era when they put out titles at a faster pace, like Uncharted, Days Gone and Ghost of Tsushima. That last title being the only PlayStation exclusive I've really enjoyed for a long while now.

Last edited:
I thought it was a typo, because before 1995 means your disregarding OOT, Mario 64, Metroid Prime......every Nintendo game from the N64 onwards.

That's some opinion. Wow.
Yep. Metroid Prime is amazing but I've never cared for OOT or Mario 64. The N64 was pure trash in my opinion. Inferior to the NES and SNES in every possible way.

Last edited:

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
It should easily be Nintendo, but given the library of their games I would honestly be flicking through them like a channel surfer looking for something good.
Not saying they're bad, but I could probably find something more interesting on just any of the others one generation of first party offerings.
They're just not my cuppa tea.

T0minator

PlayStation does it for me, they push technology in a way that most publishers just don't.

Animation, cinematography, audio design, VR, taking advantage of controller tech that no other manufacturer is capable of at the moment. Their first party games are quality. I appreciate that. Nintendo is great I love their games but they haven't created a new character or huge IP in years. Xbox games just don't appeal to me mostly.

But none of them suck, they will all be at their peak in the next year(s)

The real question will be finding the people who don't say Nintendo and for what reason they said it.
Maybe now, at this point in time they do because they are still making PS2/PS3 style games that take only a few years to make.

Even still, Nintendo just makes the same IP's over and over again. Sure, Playstation and Xbox do this too.

But no one will ever beat Playstation's IP lineup. Especially with everything created during PS3's lifecycle.

Durin

Easily Nintendo, they just output more, in more genres, do a better job innovating over time wirh franchises, and aren't fixated on realism.

Sony's output has slowed down with how long it takes to make modern AAA games, and they've had to pay for exclusives from other studios...some of which like Square Enix are bailing on doing that in future.

Top Bottom