• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The best first party portfolio in the industry is...?

The best first party in the industry is...

• Total voters

cormack12

Gold Member
They're still making "industry leading" titles like Breath of the Wild that get plenty of copycats and as I stated they innovate where it counts, which is gameplay and controls. Again gyro aiming is a bigger deal for games than anything I can think of in recent memory and it's Nintendo who pushed it.

The fact Sony enthusiasts would laugh at this notion while focusing on shit no one cares about like how many clogged pores you can see on Aloycado's face while playing on your Portal is very telling.

Gyro controls were used in Killzone 2 on the SIXAXIS and many other games. They chose not to develop it because it was niche and there isnt/wasn't a big demand. Whereas Nintendo chose to but generally the games and use cases were not very precise. Do Nintendo have a third person action game or fps (except splatoon) that supports gyro aiming in their library? I'd chalk it down to they dipped their toe in but the hardware wasn't yet at the level it needed to be. It's back now and guess what? Still a niche control system.

Sony are still the only console maker committing to VR currently to counter that specific example though. Their storage solutions are industry driving too.

If I said Sony have made Nintendo style games but Nintendo haven't made Sony style games, would you agree?

Antwix

I'll pick Xbox especially since they have acti/bliz now.

Sony doesn't really have any IP that I love.

Nintendo doesn't really interest me anymore since I'm not 12 years old.

cormack12

Gold Member
Metroid Federation Force used gyro. Zelda Breath of the Wild uses gyro.
Federation Force is a great example of how Nintendo miss on their own IPs to me.

Breath of the wild is still like the 3DS though from 15 years ago is it? I.e. bow only?

That's a legit question, I don't use gyro anyway but I think I turned it off when it kicked in with the bow.

Last edited:

Punished Miku

Human Rights Subscription Service
Federation Force is a great example of how Nintendo miss on their own IPs to me.

Breath of the wild is still like the 3DS though from 15 years ago is it? I.e. bow only?

That's a legit question, I don't use gyro anyway
Bow, throwing weapons, moving blocks with the powers.

Federation Force was probably the best portable FPS besides Killzone Mercenary at the time. It was a genre that barely even existed. Game was pretty fun.

Hudo

Out of these choices, Nintendo are clearly number one with a big huge power gap.

Playstation used to be on par until well into the PS3 era. And then shortly before the PS4 they've just... stopped caring or something. And that's been the situation ever since. I mean, Demon's Souls Remake was OK, even if Bluepoint were either unable or unwilling to understand the original Demon's Souls and made more of a reinterpretation than a remake. But whatever. Oh, yeah. And Bloodborne, of course. That's about it. They've killed Motorstorm, Wipeout and Resistance. TLoU 2 was one of the biggest disappointments in gaming for (I love the first one). And God of War 2018 + Ragnarok are exactly what I don't want from a God of War game. And Horizon is just not for me. I really don't jive with the whole setting at all. But hey, people like all of the recent efforts, so it clearly works well for Sony. Just not for me. Astro Bot seems to be cool tho.

Microsoft is on rank 2 for me since they've got Age of Empires among other things. And they actually take care of that IP fairly well. And Ara looks at least interesting. I do hope they'll produce a good Halo game again some time. And hey, maybe they will remember they've got Freelancer and make a new one... But I wish they would fire Todd Howard and let someone else take the director's chair. Even without all the technical limitations and bugs, Starfield is just not a well-designed video game, imho. Neither was Fallout 4.

Regarding Valve... I only really like Half-Life. I mean, Portal 1 and 2 were cool but the Half-Life games are where it's at for me. Don't care for their multiplayer efforts at all. Always preferred Quake 3 to Counterstrike. Don't care for Team Fortress. Couldn't care less for DOTA 2 (I love RTS games but I hate MOBAs) and I am really disappointed that they're wasting their resources on Deadlock. But that's just me. Deadlock will problably (unfortunately) be pretty successful because it's Valve...

Three

What do you think should have won GOTY in 2021?
I don't even remember what games were out in 2021, i have shit memory.
Sure as hell not a wet fart like infinite.
It Takes two, Psychonauts 2, RE Village, Returnal, Forza Horizon 5, R&C RA, Monster Hunter Rise, Marvel's Guardians of the Galaxy...

2021 was a good year for releases. Pick your poison.

Last edited:
Sony used to have a varied portfolio with lots of experimental and different games. Tokyo Jungle comes to mind. Nowadays they focus on the same couple franchises, cinematic experiences, your obligatory racing and online games and that's about it. They haven't released a game I've cared about in years.

Microsoft, I couldn't even tell you their first party lineup. Halo, Forza, Gears? They might have some small releases here and there, but most are failures or niche. Their lack of output is staggering.

Nintendo is the obvious winner IMO. New franchises as well as old. All kinds of types and genres are represented. Old IP are regularly reinvented. Frequent, high quality releases. Nintendo is not perfect but it's definitely the best we've got.

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
Mario, Zelda, Zelda, Mario, Mario, pikmin Zelda, Mario, Mario, metroid.

Amazing diversity
Nintendo isn't the best for IP diversity sure but they have the diversity in genres and that's what counts. You get whatever you want from them even if it's a Mario or Zelda branded type game, or surface level compared to Non-Nintendo offerings.

With Sony, they have all the different IPs in the world but their first party output plays very samey. You're doing similar feeling things in different environments
Or finding people who won't try and dictate people's choices.
Yeah like me!

I was just predicting that Nintendo would be the most voted option in the poll. I was right. It's a lot more interesting to see the people who wouldn't vote Nintendo and why they feel that way.
Nothing they released post-SNES has ever interested me.
Surprising cutoff point, Mario 64 and OOT didn't interest you one bit?

Killjoy-NL

Nintendo isn't the best for IP diversity sure but they have the diversity in genres and that's what counts. You get whatever you want from them even if it's a Mario or Zelda branded type game, or surface level compared to Non-Nintendo offerings.

With Sony, they have all the different IPs in the world but their first party output plays very samey. You're doing similar feeling things in different environments

Yeah like me!

I was just predicting that Nintendo would be the most voted option in the poll. I was right. It's a lot more interesting to see the people who wouldn't vote Nintendo and why they feel that way.

Surprising cutoff point, Mario 64 and OOT didn't interest you one bit?
Nope.

I did play Windwaker though, but got bored when I had to find to Triforce pieces or whatever they were.

Nintendo just isn't for me.

Edit:

Also, Playstation came after SNES and was the first console I bought myself. Been with PS ever since.

Last edited:

Punished Miku

Microsoft, I couldn't even tell you their first party lineup. Halo, Forza, Gears?
It's a pretty long list. If you just want to count known IP and not a lot of other smaller stuff, you can add Fallout, Call of Duty, Elder Scrolls, Quake, Doom, Diablo, Overwatch, Minecraft to the list.

Last edited:

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
It's a pretty long list. If you just want to count known IP and not a lot of other smaller stuff, you can add Fallout, Call of Duty, Elder Scrolls, Quake, Doom, Diablo, Overwatch to the list.
every single ip you just listed in the bolded was bought not built. And they really haven't released much of note in many of them. Elder Scrolls' latest singleplayer entry is still Skyrim. Fallout's latest is 4 from 2015. Quake has been a dead franchise since that Quake Champions. Diablo 4 was mid... Overwatch 2 is worse than mid.

Punished Miku

every single ip you just listed in the bolded was bought not built. And they really haven't released much of note in many of them. Elder Scrolls' latest singleplayer entry is still Skyrim. Fallout's latest is 4 from 2015. Quake has been a dead franchise since that Quake Champions. Diablo 4 was mid... Overwatch 2 is worse than mid.
Guy was asking what their 1st party lineup is and I answered. The list keeps going for a while after that too.

Aldric

They chose not to develop it because it was niche and there isnt/wasn't a big demand.
They fucked up then. It is an undeniably positive evolution in console controls and the fact Nintendo made it mainstream through a franchise like Splatoon shows that their priorities lie in the right place contrary to Sony. Hell even PC players started adopting it and developing it through flick stick after playing Splatoon.

Whereas Nintendo chose to but generally the games and use cases were not very precise. Do Nintendo have a third person action game or fps (except splatoon) that supports gyro aiming in their library?
Yes it's essentially a default control method in every game with a significant aiming component. It started with the Ocarina of Time port on 3DS back in 2011 and now it's in every 1st party game. Both open world Zelda games have it, Astral Chain, Star Fox Zero on Wii U, Metroid Prime Remaster and by extension Prime 4 etc.

If I said Sony have made Nintendo style games but Nintendo haven't made Sony style games, would you agree?
You'd have to define "Sony style games". Most of Sony's big 1st party titles are third person open world action adventure games like Ghost of Tsushima Horizon or Days Gone so in that case obviously Nintendo have made games like that. If you're talking about the Naughty Dog template of the cinematic narrative focused game with action elements then yeah Nintendo have made games like that too although they were shit.

Fess

Steam gets the best version of multiplats and Xbox and Playstation games.

Aha only first party. Then it’s Nintendo.

Last edited:

IDKFA

I am Become Bilbo Baggins
I was going to vote Microsoft, but it seems cheating considering their portfolio is only so great because of the publishers they purchased.

Instead Nintendo gets my vote. I may not be the biggest Nintendo fan, but I can't deny how well made their games are. I also like the fact that they're games aren't just focused on adults and can be enjoyed by people of all ages.

nintendo wins

they have potato hardware, but they pretty consistently focus on raw gameplay more than anyone.

but they need to find another miyamoto, because they basically dont create new IPs anymore.

ssringo

Nintendo. But only because of Metroid Dread as it's literally the only thing from any of them I've enjoyed enough to complete in a long time.

If I had a vr headset to experience Alyx it might've been Valve.

nial

Sony used to have a varied portfolio with lots of experimental and different games. Tokyo Jungle comes to mind. Nowadays they focus on the same couple franchises, cinematic experiences, your obligatory racing and online games and that's about it.
Lies detected.
Also, Tokyo Jungle is among the most generic choices for this kind of take, and came from a time where people liked to accuse Sony of the very same things you're now saying (same franchises, cinematic experiences, online games).

LakeOf9

nintendo wins

they have potato hardware, but they pretty consistently focus on raw gameplay more than anyone.

but they need to find another miyamoto, because they basically dont create new IPs anymore.
In the Switch era, Nintendo created the following new IPs:

• ARMS
  • 1-2 Switch
  • Astral Chain
  • RIng Fit
  • Game Builder Garage
  • Labo
I am just sticking to games that sold more than a million, was a new IP not using any existing universe or characters, and had a retail release. This is also not counting stuff like Splatoon and Xenoblade, which are hit new IPs from them from within the last couple of generations.

They still do new IPs, their existing IP just tends to (usually) be more successful

Markio128

Gold Member
I’d have to go with Sony, purely because I love Gran Turismo more than anything else. On top of that, my favourite games over the last decade or so have been Uncharted, TLOU, GOW and the Horizon games.

I feel like Nintendo doesn’t cater for me anymore, as somebody who loves great games that try to raise the bar visually. My love for Nintendo was at its peak during SNES/N64 era.

RiccochetJ

Gold Member
Nintendo has a first party that kids, parents, grandparents, and great grandparents recognize. And they make their games run excellent on hardware that was considered weak even a generation ago. It's not even a contest.

Three

70.3% of NeoGAF is 12 years old, confirmed
fellowkids.jpg

cormack12

Gold Member
Bow, throwing weapons, moving blocks with the powers.

Federation Force was probably the best portable FPS besides Killzone Mercenary at the time. It was a genre that barely even existed. Game was pretty fun.
Yeah I know they used the gyro for the shrine puzzles which was still lame imo and not too distant from the sixaxis (not true gyro).

I can't agree on second point. I feel it's elevated like err...was it dust 535 on the vita? Just because it's the only real game that flies the banner so it had to be over praised. And it was metroid too.

They fucked up then. It is an undeniably positive evolution in console controls and the fact Nintendo made it mainstream through a franchise like Splatoon shows that their priorities lie in the right place contrary to Sony. Hell even PC players started adopting it and developing it through flick stick after playing Splatoon.

Yes it's essentially a default control method in every game with a significant aiming component. It started with the Ocarina of Time port on 3DS back in 2011 and now it's in every 1st party game. Both open world Zelda games have it, Astral Chain, Star Fox Zero on Wii U, Metroid Prime Remaster and by extension Prime 4 etc.

You'd have to define "Sony style games". Most of Sony's big 1st party titles are third person open world action adventure games like Ghost of Tsushima Horizon or Days Gone so in that case obviously Nintendo have made games like that. If you're talking about the Naughty Dog template of the cinematic narrative focused game with action elements then yeah Nintendo have made games like that too although they were shit.

It's still niche. Flick stick is as well. There's an argument to be had over whether gyro or flick stick has a higher ceiling but the core argument here is ubiquity. If all these things were industry shaping (Wii NunChuk, PSMove, Gyro, sixaxis) then they would be in the mainstream (same argument can be made for PSVR too). So while it may be supported well in the ecosystem, it's like saying 3D Audio and Adaptive/Haptics are game changing (I don't believe they are personally but w/e).

Breath of the Wild has lots of collective problems that Ubi get flak for or even Sony open world games too. But they are glossed over, just like people forgive mechanics in Uncharted that they raked Crystal Dynamics for.

You also have to consider sleeping ips as well as the topic is portfolio which would include inactive.

The topic is a good bellwether for what I said earlier though. There's very little expansion beyond Nintendo is the best. They are the Apple of consoles.

Lies detected.
Also, Tokyo Jungle is among the most generic choices for this kind of take, and came from a time where people liked to accuse Sony of the very same things you're now saying (same franchises, cinematic experiences, online games).
I'll admit, I'm not up to date when it comes to Sony's (or MS's) output nowadays. I know the Asobi games are popular, but I'm personally not interested. The other two games got okay reviews, but don't seem like killer apps. They're still 60 bucks though. I also don't think they're particularly unique or innovative titles. Let me just say it's never been easier for me to ignore their output.

I'm sure other people have made all kinds of arguments about all sorts of games. Those have nothing to do with me. I like Tokyo Jungle and I wish Sony would release games like that again.

Aldric

It's still niche. Flick stick is as well. There's an argument to be had over whether gyro or flick stick has a higher ceiling but the core argument here is ubiquity. If all these things were industry shaping (Wii NunChuk, PSMove, Gyro, sixaxis) then they would be in the mainstream (same argument can be made for PSVR too). So while it may be supported well in the ecosystem, it's like saying 3D Audio and Adaptive/Haptics are game changing (I don't believe they are personally but w/e).
I don't think that gyro being the default control scheme for the most commercially successful game developer in the industry qualifies as "niche". Splatoon outsells the majority of Sony's IPs. Gyro also has been adopted by Sony's big first party games like TloU2. And the point isn't really about its ubiquity but whether or not it's making the media advance, which it undeniably does. It's not Nintendo's fault some platforms like Xbox stubbornly refuse to adopt an objectively better method of aiming.

Breath of the Wild has lots of collective problems that Ubi get flak for or even Sony open world games too. But they are glossed over
I'm not interested in this sort of mindless "it's ok when Nintendo does it!!" drivel, the point is BotW is an influential highly critically acclaimed game that sold tens of millions of copies, which are objective standards making it an "industry leading" title.

You also have to consider sleeping ips as well as the topic is portfolio which would include inactive.
Why would you? It's obvious Sony will never revisit the kind of games Japan Studio used to make. It's not their design philosophy anymore. In fact Sony barely make games nowadays, the entire PS5 exclusive library is anemic which is definitely another reason why their first party output is inferior to Nintendo's.

There's very little expansion beyond Nintendo is the best.
Plenty of people explained their reasoning but you just don't like the answer so you chose to ignore it.

nial

Aldric

And btw, Japan Studio = the current PS Studios Japan.
Great, now show me the equivalent of Parappa the Rapper, Vic Ribbon, Arc the Lad, Alundra, Ico and Shadow of the Colossus, Freedom Wars, Gravity Rush etc etc.

The number and the nature of games Sony create today is completely different than their output during the PS1/PS2/PS3 era and you'd have to be disingenuous to pretend otherwise.

Top Bottom