• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Binding of Isaac: Rebirth |OT| Pixel Heart Mother

I'm basically looking at this as the first time I play the game....again.

I could never properly control the game with just the keyboard and for some reason joytoKey had issues where the firing or movement direction kept sticking, making it impossible to move and shoot at the same time.

I played it for a year and never once even got to Mom. Frustrating as hell. Finally with some good controls I'm really looking forward to being able to enjoy this game again.

SerTapTap

Picked up
Deal with the Devil something something Raiments and all it said was "Sin is up". This and the Goat Head are confusing me, also randomly during rooms I start flashing rainbow colors and can't shoot.
Whaaaaat is happening to meeeeeeeee?

Sounds like you're under the effect of this (item spoiler)
My Little Unicorn

SerTapTap

Are there incentives for downloads? Or are developers paid a flat rate? I've always assumed the latter.

It's all case by case. Regardless, downloading adds to their stats. Velocity 2X was quite proud of their 1 million downloads in Europe alone

Kalor

I managed to beat Mom on my 2nd run, largely due to a item
which had me manually control a tear. It was slow but I used a empress card which made Mom's health drain very quickly once I managed to get the tear to hover over her.

I'm not really liking the music on the depths but the rest of the music besides that has been ok so far.

Sounds like you're under the effect of this (item spoiler)
My Little Unicorn

Yep, turns out I was but I'm still trying to figure out what item is doing it. Check the effects of it (item spoilers obviously):

On a random chance, when I enter the room, all the enemies will be slowed.
As soon as the slow wears off, I enter My Little Unicorn mode.

This is of course ignoring all the other random crazy things happening due to all these new items.

Yoshi88

Is there a control overview somewhere? I'm not finding anything in the options or elsewhere. They seem to have changed some key bindings like the bomb etc. I had real trouble figuring out some actions on my first run after playing the first BoI for over 100 hours o_O

How big is the vita file size? I always have to delete stuff whenever I put a new game on because I'm still using the 4gb..

Need dat 64gb but the prices kill me.

KarmaCow

Wow I'm terrible. It's been so long since I've played and I'm taking so many stupid hits. Some of that is learning the new enemies and rooms layouts but still making a lot of mistakes. I've also lost the ability to predict where angel rooms will be on a map.

I've been playing with a controller but I might go back to keyboard because aiming + charging is a pain on a controller.

edit: Also, does it seems like the game favours stat upgrades/modifiers over usable items? Maybe that's how BoI usually starts out and it's been so long since I've started fresh but I've done multiple runs now without finding a single usable item.

Died on my 2nd run to
Mom's Heart, who has new fangled attack patterns.
I also got greedy and picked up every new item I saw to see what it did, which dropped me to like...2 black hearts after my 4th Deal with the Devil.

Gonna take a quick break to recharge before probably playing til 5AM.

Edit: Since I unlocked
Lazarus and Azazel
I figured I'd try one of 'em.

Character Spoilers:
Azazel starts with 3 black hearts, Lord of the Pit and a short-range Brimstone with a decent charge time

Aaaaah ha ha ha ha. Holy shit.

Oh and he starts with a Fool Card and
the Brimstone effect isn't blocked by rocks or walls

D

Deleted member 144138

Unconfirmed Member
Well, the hard mode deserves his name

gai_shain

So uh I just beat moms foot and the wall broke up at the top of the bossfight room.
I go through it and there are 4 items on the ground and pick one of them up and it starts spawning bosses, 2 at a time about 10 times, after I defeated the 2 previous ones 2 new ones spawn. All I got after that is an achievemt called Missing No. and another item and it wasnt even good :(

Did anyone have the same happen to them?

Chesskid1

Banned
for those on vita:

are you guys going to use face buttons or dual joysticks or dpad? l-stick + face buttons for me.

you prolly want to decide for you can map the other buttons to whatever controls you aren't using.

i'm mapping the buttons, there's bombs, item, pills/cards and drop.

what is drop?

Ferrio

Banned
Things that suck:

-Basement 1 Dingle
-The filter effect in the womb
-The music, should of been done by Danny Baranowsky.
-Whats with the unicorn horn/chariot music? IT STINKS.
-The dime sound :(

Overall the music/sound effects to a hit in this game.

Oh man. So hype. I still have like another hour before I leave work and probably another hour before I can actually sit down to play.

Can't wait.

--R

Banned
Playing since minute one, this game is easily my GOTY along with Transistor, I'm loving it so far. No KB+M support is making me cry a bit tho.

Lazarus is awesome. I prefer him over Isaac.

baconcow

Some impressions: just played my first game. Died on the fourth floor. Had messed around a few tries on the PC version years ago, but didn't like using a controller with Joy2Key. Control felt good. Didn't notice any framerate issues. Isaac feels a bit floaty (with the analog stick), but it felt better than the D-pad or Xbox 360's joystick/analog. Vita round buttons were nice for shooting, miles ahead of the Xbox 360 buttons.

Just curious, it says there are 450+ items, with 160 new unlockables, but I count only 341 item slots in statistic/collection. Do the 176 unlockable items in the game eventually show up in the statistics or are they part of the 341 boxes? Also, is there any way of seeing what each item does, or only during gameplay (or on a wiki)?

Overall the music/sound effects to a hit in this game.

This is my issue. I'm really not digging the music. The couple sound effects I don't like I can live with, but the music is really killing me here.

We should start figuring out how to unpack the content files so we can swap out audio clips.

Kssio_Aug

Just tried it. Died twice at the 1st boss (different each run).

But Im not sure if I get this game. Everytime I die I lose everything and need to start again? There are no benefits for acquiring something each run?

Top Bottom