• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Binding of Isaac: Rebirth |OT| Pixel Heart Mother

CassSept

Yep. Creepy as hell. I really love the title theme as well.

Edit: Overall, the soundtrack is intense, in lack of a better word.

I love how the title theme goes into solo vocals when you start the game, the faint 'la-la la-la-la-la'.

It's certainly different. Original title theme was delicate, innocent, but at the same time foreboding and intimidating. Overall a lot of soundtrack was... hauntingly beautiful. Definitely something special.

The new one is more straightforward, but there are some good tracks. As said, Sheol is incredible.

Edit: Listening on headphones from bandcamp made me appreciate it more, most of the tracks are quite nuanced, something that's not apparent during gameplay.

corn_fest

Yeah, so that BASE MENT seed that makes every floor the basement...

Pretty sure I just played it until I had every item in the item pool. After a while Breakfast was the only thing that would spawn. Couldn't tell you why I just wasted an hour doing that.

Anyone have any idea how to fix this?
cub3Xgg.jpg

I have the same problem.
B1y647fIUAE3jNN.jpg

I went to
Sheol
early and the game just seems to have skipped that ending and there is no way to get it now. :/

NotLiquid

Yep. Creepy as hell. I really love the title theme as well.

Edit: Overall, the soundtrack is intense, in lack of a better word.

It's quickly growing on me. Although I admit liking a deal of the soundtrack prior to release already, I feel like there's an overall vibe to it that sets the mood for Isaac in a bit of a different way.

Danny B's soundtrack is one I still love and in the context of the original game it did a great job in setting a sort of depressing tone that focuses mostly on how relatively cruel the reality of Isaac is (already depressing enough with it's premise, gets incredibly more depressing once you continue unlocking more endings and dive deeper into the theories surrounding the game and the true story of Isaac), while still coloring it with rich melodies that compound how mostly bizarre the game is.

Meanwhile, Ridiculon's soundtrack seems to focus mostly on the world around Isaac. Visually, other than the pixels, Rebirth is mostly familiar. But the music sets a completely different tone for the game and I almost feel like DB's soundtrack wouldn't really work as much. It's like a change and return to the weird depths that are more pronounced this time since a lot has changed in terms of content and encounters. The soundtrack also has a lot more general atmosphere to it, with background effects and textures that weren't present in the original, making it feel more immersing in terms of environments. Sheol really "feels" like a legitimate track of the damned.

I dunno, I kind of love it. It's more twisted. Rather than a seeming extension of Isaac's plight it's more of a declaration for how the underbelly of the basement sets the stage.

Ferrio

Banned
Haven't been keeping up with the thread but does any one else feel like the game is easier or something?

When you first start yes. Once you unlock more items and everything is terrible it feels like OG isaac. Cobaltstreak is having issues on hard mode, and he never had issues in original isaac.

Is there any point in using characters that arent the good ones? I mean I unlocked Azeal and many others, is there any reason to ever go back to isaac? Do I need to beat the game certain ways with isaac to get specific unlocks?

Xeroblade

When you first start yes. Once you unlock more items and everything is terrible it feels like OG isaac. Cobaltstreak is having issues on hard mode, and he never had issues in original isaac.

Oh ok good, yeah I just started playing it just felt super easy, thats nice to hear that it gets tougher later on. thank you.

Tainted

Haven't been keeping up with the thread but does any one else feel like the game is easier or something?

Everyone keeps saying this but I am not seeing it :( Im not Isaac beginner either, I put close to 200hrs into the original but so far over a period of around 10hrs played so far, I have only managed to beat mom once

I guess I am just either out of practice or unlucky :(

NotLiquid

Is there any point in using characters that arent the good ones? I mean I unlocked Azeal and many others, is there any reason to ever go back to isaac? Do I need to beat the game certain ways with isaac to get specific unlocks?

If you want to get the Platinum God you're going to have to beat all the "final" bosses as all characters. Overall choosing what character you want to go with is a matter of preference. Isaac, Lazarus and Cain are there for the "balanced" runs while Magdalene and Azazel are for easier runs (latter is arguable but a shortened Brimstone is still a Brimstone and instant Lord Of The Pit is a huge plus). Eve and Samson are there for a higher challenge while Eden is the character for people who are truly ingrained with the game and can adapt to any situation.

Also, Isaac eventually unlocks the D6 as a starting item which is incredibly valuable, meaning he overall comes with a perk as well.

mattp

have the devs acknowledged the cross save error at all?
i really wanna pick up on my ps4, but the fucking sync never works on my vita

If you want to get the Platinum God you're going to have to beat all the "final" bosses as all characters. Overall choosing what character you want to go with is a matter of preference. Isaac, Lazarus and Cain are there for the "balanced" runs while Magdalene and Azazel are for easier runs (latter is arguable but a shortened Brimstone is still a Brimstone and instant Lord Of The Pit is a huge plus). Eve and Samson are there for a higher challenge while Eden is the character for people who are truly ingrained with the game and can adapt to any situation.

Also, Isaac eventually unlocks the D6 as a starting item which is incredibly valuable, meaning he overall comes with a perk as well.

Cool thanks

DrkSage

I think I just found the best seed ever. I died In the last room but I made it there with 54 coins plus around another 50 I spent spamming the arcade, 99 bombs thanks to the item, 77 keys plus 2-3 I used, and 13 upgrades

Finalow

Cobaltstreak is having issues on hard mode, and he never had issues in original isaac.
he just arrived at
Mega Satan
on hard mode and the game crashed, lol.

I'm surely not going to 100% this. have fun finishing the Dark Room without taking damage.

Tainted

I think I just found the best seed ever. I died In the last room but I made it there with 54 coins plus around another 50 I spent spamming the arcade, 99 bombs thanks to the item, 77 keys plus 2-3 I used, and 13 upgrades

Please tell us you kept note of the seed code .....

Holy crap you can hold down the analog stick when viewing Secrets for a long ass time. I thought the game was messing with me until it went to another new file I hadn't viewed yet. There has to be hundreds

hbkdx12

Because Knack is a pile... it has so many flaws you couldnt pay me to play it again.

Perfect example: dodge-lock, you are locked into dodge animation unable to move until a few seconds after the animation fully ends resulting in cheap and numerous deaths... the worst combat gameplay ever.

evidenced here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FPzvCA6fr4Y

i dont fully understand the love of isaac... but id rather have that over Knack.

I would never say that the game isn't without it's flaws nor would I try to convince someone to like it if they didn't. The thing that's frustrating is that every ps+ thread there are ppl (who haven't played the game) that pile on it into the ground but in the same sentence wait with baited breath for when knack will show up for free so they can play it (in an attempt to validate their negative suspicions I suppose?)

Scrooged

Totally wronger about Nintendo's business decisions.
Mom's Heart is absolutely crazy now. I've only been able to beat her once with shielded tears.

Kaybe

Unconfirmed Member
So I haven't beaten Mom's Heart even once, but I somehow reached Sheol with the floor skip shovel. Does this mean that my save is screwed?

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
Shit. Got to Mom for the first time and died because I wasted all my hearts (seriously, I had like 8 or 9, plus some soul hearts) in a boss rush room I accidentally wandered into.

Dammit. =\

DrkSage

Awesome, will give this seed a shot later :)
OK so I'm just gonna give you a warning if it doesn't turn out like my run because it turns out my second playthrough on the same seed didn't go as the first run.

This is the first time:
This was halfway trough:
QMf0Sbd.jpg

This is how it ended:
WWS6OTT.jpg

And this one is my second playthrough were I was even able to finish the run because Isaac was pretty much OP:
Halfway trough:
EXM37YV.jpg

The last room:
YAtHWXJ.jpg

Nicktals

Banned
OK, spoilers from END game, please don't highlight if you aren't sure, or care. But I had a question.

I just beat mega-Satan (HOLY SHIT, BTW) as Judas, but there didn't seem to be an unlockable, or icon on the character select screen...did it bug, or is there no symbol for this?

Top Bottom