• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Black Culture Thread |OT19| - You Still Can't Say Tanned

Status
Not open for further replies.

cdyhybrid

Tweets from the creator.

n65yMnH.gif

YEgYB3U.gif

Young Magus

These fuckers fighting a losing battle

Heres the thing that gets me tho:

Dudes literally are fighting/defending/claiming a set that is based on something that never was there in the first place and was based on a great lie.

If they really were about "ethics" then why didn't/don't they speak up on the various game ratings/advertisements issues? The 10/10 GOTY's that crashes day 1? The "the only problem with gears 2 is that its just too good" types of reviews? The types of issues that lead to Giant Bomb being born?

Slayven

Heres the thing that gets me tho:

Dudes literally are fighting/defending/claiming a set that is based on something that never was there in the first place and was based on a great lie.

If they really were about "ethics" then why didn't/don't they speak up on the various game ratings/advertisements issues? The 10/10 GOTY's that crashes day 1? The "the only problem with gears 2 is that its just too good" types of reviews? The types of issues that lead to Giant Bomb being born?

Cause they love being willful ignorant

any why are some people excited about Sea Of Thieves?

it *LITERALLY* put me to sleep.

woke up and the post-conference talk was on, had to re-watch the rest of the conference.

RedSwirl

So my girlfriend comes to me crying, saying that she needs to get out of her job.

My girl works for the Department of Corrections (DOC) in Minnesota, as a Department of Justice (DOJ) Coordinator. She does stuff like crime victim services, offender/victim dialogs, and offender risk assessment.

She wants to make a difference in the system. Having dealt with offenders both men and women in all of the prisons in MN, she's worked on programs that help offenders get educated, and try to be positive role models for other prisoners, so when they get out, they're able to get their lives in order, and be productive in society. She's had victims talk with prisoners, so that offenders can hold themselves accountable for not just the crimes that they've committed, but also the impacts that they've had in their community. She's worked with organizations out of state, that lobby for programs that are made available for offenders who are released from prison, so they're not entering society, with no tools to get their lives started again. Access to housing. Access to jobs. Access to health care.

Problem is that not everyone is on the same page with this. She has a boss that shoots her down at every turn. She isn't allowed to go to trainings and seminars that help her network with other folks like her to exchange information. She'll propose ideas and programs that could work for victims to get information for services that they didn't even know that they had access to, but gets denied. She deals with correctional officers who won't let her see prisoners because they don't like them, or don't like her,

Then there's the prisons. Every barbaric thing that you've heard about them is true. Prison rape happens. COs being on the take happens. Wardens looking the other way while prisoners aren't getting help in prison hospitals happens. Offenders can be put segregation, and it doesn't necessarily get logged. Prisoners can disappear in a hole for a week, and only the CO that covers their sector knows about it. And they get paid so little for the work they do inside prison, that it can take several days for you to make enough money to afford a phone call to your family.

And then there's the fact that if you're a convicted felon, you're basically a second class citizen. Doesn't matter that you robbed a store, or are addicted to crack, or that you messed with a prostitute, or got into a drunken fistfight at the bar. You now have the cards stacked against you on a constitutional level, and it's going to be MUCH harder for you to pursue life, liberty, and happiness.

But the part that is crushing her, is that her funding is going away. Federal cuts have started coming down the pipe. They're cutting justice programs. Those services that victims had access to? Stuff like financial compensation for violent crimes so you can pay for the funeral and burial of your wife who was killed in a robbery? That will go away. Programs that put prospective employers in contact with low risk-level offenders so they can start working when they get out of prison? Gone. No money from Washington also means less money on the state level. MN is huge business when it comes to incarceration. Lots of money and energy is going into how to put more people in prisons, or put restriction devices on outgoing prisoners like ankle bracelets. But what about helping the offenders not offend again? Where's the money for helping them become productive citizens? Where's the funding towards helping the victims heal?

It's become to much for her. She no longer thinks she can make a change - there's too much of an infrastructure there for her to fight against. She feels like she's beating her head against the wall. I HATE seeing her like this. I don't particularly like her work. I don't like that she goes to places like Stillwater and Oak Park Heights, and is around people who have murdered other people. But I also know that what she does is important. I just make sure computers talk to each other and that servers get backed up. She tries to help people. And now she wants to walk away from that.

I'm real late on this, but damn. All I can wonder is where all that will lead us in 10 years or so. I got family members who work in corrections but I never asked them about any of this.

peeps already pointing out that Nintendo, Apple and Google all agreed to the mythical 'conditions' for cross play.

I dont know but as I mentioned in that thread before getting dumped on. If I own a property and want to make the most from it, wouldn't making it available to everyone except my direct competition be the move to make? Not mention making it so all of us play together and they're left out?

I dont know but as I mentioned in that thread before getting dumped on. If I own a property and want to make the most from it, wouldn't making it available to everyone except my direct competition be the move to make? Not mention making it so all of us play together and they're left out?

Yea i find it fishy too.

Malyse

DCFHJz2UIAAFSLL

What's cray is that second game that's doing it too.

Like, is this legit gonna be "a thing"

D i Z

Well, they gave some bad narrative reasons for why they didn't want it in the single player story. But anyway Azure was announced in 2008 and had been in dev around early to mid-2007.

Didn't know that part. Their push was pretty massive at the conference though. I wonder how much of the system no longer being always online screwed them.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DCFHJz2UIAAFSLL?format=jpg&name=large[img]

What's cray is that second game that's doing it too.

Like, is this legit gonna be "a thing"[/QUOTE]

Theres plenty of games that are PS4/PC cross play. I wish we could at least get a good explanation as to why. I don't believe the "Sony has nothing to gain" thing either.

Malyse

To which I respond (to the tune of this classic)

Get wrecked get wrecked motherfuckers
Panther gonna make all, the cash
Theres plenty of games that are PS4/PC cross play. I wish we could at least get a good explanation as to why. I don't believe the "Sony has nothing to gain" thing either.

Yo. Imagine if Overwatch comes to Switch and is crossplay with Xbox and PC. That would be some shit.

having it everywhere would make more sense.

making it exclusive and jacking up the price would make more sense.

Hey guys...I have a question....

A friend of mine works for a big financial company on Bay St in Toronto (Wall st equivalent) She was invited out for drinks by one of her work girlfriends. When she was there the Son-in-law of the big Managers at her firm got drunk and called her a Nigger to her face, started acting aggressively and went on a tirade.

She got it all on Film and showed her direct manager....Now her direct manager and the racist's Mother are trying to convince her not to report it to HR and that he's not really a racist, he's just going through some things.

She feels alone, frightened and is scared that if she goes through with bringing it to HR she would get him fired but is afraid the Managers' influence might kill her career dead.

What should she do? Im furious right now and I am heated. If it was me I would escalate this shit to HR and the media if need be. But I can understand her hesitation.

D i Z

No chill.

Hey guys...I have a question....

A friend of mine works for a big financial company on Bay St in Toronto (Wall st equivalent) She was invited out for drinks by one of her work girlfriends. When she was there the Son-in-law of the big Managers at her firm got drunk and called her a Nigger to her face, started acting aggressively and went on a tirade.

She got it all on Film and showed her direct manager....Now her direct manager and the racist's Mother are trying to convince her not to report it to HR and that he's not really a racist, he's just going through some things.

She feels alone, frightened and is scared that if she goes through with bringing it to HR she would get him fired but is afraid the Managers' influence might kill her career dead.

What should she do? Im furious right now and I am heated. If it was me I would escalate this shit to HR and the media if need be. But I can understand her hesitation.

Sounds like she needs to sit on it for just a hot second just to clear her head and figure out the path to where she needs to go with this. It also sounds like if she hasn't burned it down already, she's not really not ready for that. This is a tough one, because in my mind, either it's already in process, or it's just stuck in neutral. Sounds like she has a lot to lose so I can't really offer much more than support for whatever she decides to do. I know what I would do, but I'm not her.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom