• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Black Culture Thread |OT19| - You Still Can't Say Tanned

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shy

bqddZ2B.gif

Sizemore don't play.

Slayven

Hey guys...I have a question....

A friend of mine works for a big financial company on Bay St in Toronto (Wall st equivalent) She was invited out for drinks by one of her work girlfriends. When she was there the Son-in-law of the big Managers at her firm got drunk and called her a Nigger to her face, started acting aggressively and went on a tirade.

She got it all on Film and showed her direct manager....Now her direct manager and the racist's Mother are trying to convince her not to report it to HR and that he's not really a racist, he's just going through some things.

She feels alone, frightened and is scared that if she goes through with bringing it to HR she would get him fired but is afraid the Managers' influence might kill her career dead.

What should she do? Im furious right now and I am heated. If it was me I would escalate this shit to HR and the media if need be. But I can understand her hesitation.

Got to take it to HR, full stop. Going through things or not, that is never an excuse

A friend of mine works for a big financial company on Bay St in Toronto (Wall st equivalent) She was invited out for drinks by one of her work girlfriends. When she was there the Son-in-law of the big Managers at her firm got drunk and called her a Nigger to her face, started acting aggressively and went on a tirade.

She got it all on Film and showed her direct manager....Now her direct manager and the racist's Mother are trying to convince her not to report it to HR and that he's not really a racist, he's just going through some things.

She feels alone, frightened and is scared that if she goes through with bringing it to HR she would get him fired but is afraid the Managers' influence might kill her career dead.

What should she do? Im furious right now and I am heated. If it was me I would escalate this shit to HR and the media if need be. But I can understand her hesitation.

first mistake was showing the mom.

show it to HR ASAP.

Sch1sm

She should show them. The environment is clearly already not in her favour. What's there to lose? Is she worried her direct manager will attempt at getting her fired?

Only thing you can do is listen and be supportive to whatever she's feeling. She should go to HR but if she's scared and worried about her career, she's got good reason. She really needs to weigh out her options and do what she feels best. You adding pressure won't help, not saying thats what you're doing, but she needs to feel like you're there for her.

Got to take it to HR, full stop. Going through things or not, that is never an excuse

My thoughts on it too, dudes a fucking piece of shit.

On the one hand, I'm bummed Bioware is probably done with story based games for a while.

On the other hand.

Ho-ly SHIT YO.

I want to get into hockey and seeing my state team lose after not being shit for their entire run...blech

And of course the leagues brightest star of color gets his head smashed against the ice by the sports "golden boy" and they rally behind Crosby.

I would bring it to HR, but, you gotta be as supportive as you can, cause it's definitely not easy.

LionPride

Banned
On the one hand, I'm bummed Bioware is probably done with story based games for a while.

On the other hand.

Ho-ly SHIT YO.

And of course the leagues brightest star of color gets his head smashed against the ice by the sports "golden boy" and they rally behind Crosby.

That nigga's name is Pernell-Karl

He's from Canada

His parents are Caribbean

He's 28

Hopefully he can win with Nashville

I want to get into hockey and seeing my state team lose after not being shit for their entire run...blech

Hey man you take the good with the bad. I was really pulling for Nashville too.

Wait isn't he also the only, person of color? Also that felt like a real Jackie Robinson moment for me. Like watching some of the fuckery from 42 but happening right in front of my eyes. Shit got me so heated.

He's from Canada

He's 28

Yup

Shy

So glad Ubisoft didn't fuck up Egypt on Assassin's Creed by making everyone white or protag being some white guy.
Same. I was especially worried about it when i read the leaks the other day, that the game was going to be set during the Ptolemaic era.

But i watched the released footage this evening, and i'm feeling much better about it now.

Yea he was black.

None of that light skinned/white look they want people to believe for Ancient Egypt.

Black Cleopatra and brown skinned Romans makes me so damn happy.

He's from Canada

He's 28

I hope he wins like 5 cups, especially after he got traded from Montreal because he had "attitude problems" (and donated millions to childrens hospitals).

Same. I was espielly worred of this when i read the leaks the other day that the game was going to be set during the Ptolemaic era.

But i watched the released footage this evening, and i'm feeling much better about it now.

I'm probably going to buy on release. Haven't played an AC since AC4.

akira28

lawyer. law up. discuss what you actually want. then maybe go to hr if it leads there, if remaining at the company is even an option.

Wait isn't he also the only, person of color? Also that felt like a real Jackie Robinson moment for me. Like watching some of the fuckery from 42 but happening right in front of my eyes. Shit got me so heated.

There are other black and brown players, but he's the only one of them that's a surefire SUPERSTAR.

first mistake was showing the mom.

show it to HR ASAP.

She should show them. The environment is clearly already not in her favour. What's there to lose? Is she worried her direct manager will attempt at getting her fired?

Only thing you can do is listen and be supportive to whatever she's feeling. She should go to HR but if she's scared and worried about her career, she's got good reason. She really needs to weigh out her options and do what she feels best. You adding pressure won't help, not saying thats what you're doing, but she needs to feel like you're there for her.

My thoughts on it too, dudes a fucking piece of shit.

Take that video to HR, 2 reasons:

!.> It will protect her from any kind of retaliation and/or firing. Because once this dude remembers what he did, if she hasn't gone to HR he is going to make her life at work hell.

2.> It will be the prep in the chain of what could be a lawsuit.

You silly. I have actually snuck in fried chicken to the movie theater before.

What is that first dish?

Some friends of mine and I snuck the following into the premiere of Friday:

A fifth of Jack, a Box of Bojangles chicken and a Couple of Blunts. We Got a few Cokes and made some big as Jack and Cokes and got lit.

akira28

He shows, gasp, emotion.

I am reading...and yeah that seems to be the biggest gripe. that he doesn't fit in with Hockey's "conservative" and "stultifying" "traditions".

"he's a fun guy, lots of personality, brings a lot of spirit to the game...." the teamate says, then the sports writer muses in the writing 'but of course eventually one must get tired of all that PK Subban energy.'

sports is "funny".

I don't watch Hockey, but I did have to wonder exactly how PK Subban "had it coming".

Showed up wearing the wrong color(s)

I've been to that hockey thread and every mention of "he had it coming" was met with a response of "everyone does that sort of thing, how is it different?" So go figure.

LionPride

Banned
I am reading...and yeah that seems to be the biggest gripe. that he doesn't fit in with Hockey's "conservative" and "stultifying" "traditions".

"he's a fun guy, lots of personality, brings a lot of spirit to the game...." the teamate says, then the sports writer muses in the writing 'but of course eventually one must get tired of all that PK Subban energy.'

sports is "funny".

The same way a bat flip in baseball is too much

Can't have them beaners and niggers showing emotion now can we

Plus hockey's median viewing age is fucking 50

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom