• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Black Culture Thread |OT19| - You Still Can't Say Tanned

Status
Not open for further replies.

Johndoey

Banned
I can hardly wait for Beyond Good and Evil to continue to not actually exist. I'll see you all in four years for the next CG trailer.

Faustek

Man I think I just did the best ass kissing at work ever seen without actually being literal and that is on a weird stomach that hasn't stopped dancing. Some lying to have the board approve an untested hijab(it's made of the same flammable/ material as the rest of the gear) without having to wait on our regular place to get their thumbs out of their asses and test/deliver it. Summer Interns started last week and one of the lab techs in the making wanted to wear hers but I couldn't allow her to do any work other than sitting at the desk until this got approved. It's my ass if she gets hurt. Very unlikely but that one freak incident can always happen.

Taking the rest of this week off without feeling guilty....which also feels weird.

Morning all

I think the part of E3 I hate the most is the part when all the conferences are pretty much over and then Gaf is litered with threads full executive quotes. Nothing there but edgy hot takes and dumpster fires.

When's the Nintendo conference?

Not like this Tinashe, girl nooo!

Weigh In: Tinashe Says The Black Community ‘Doesn’t Fully Accept’ Her

Tinashe believes she has the answer to that: colorism and racism in the industry. Recently taking to The Guardian, she discussed what she believes is the industry’s take on black women:

“There are hundreds of [male] rappers that all look the same, that sound the same, but if you’re a black woman, you’re either Beyoncé or Rihanna. It’s very, very strange.

[There was Ciara, but] it felt like they almost had to sacrifice someone because there wasn’t enough room, which isn’t true. Ciara’s an amazing artist, Beyoncé’s an amazing artist, Rihanna’s an amazing artist, and they’re all very different!”

“There’s colourism involved in the black community, which is very apparent,” she says carefully. “It’s about trying to find a balance where I’m a mixed woman, and sometimes I feel like I don’t fully fit into the black community; they don’t fully accept me, even though I see myself as a black woman. That disconnect is confusing sometimes.”
Tinashe says all the separation and setbacks with her music have been discouraging, but have never completely broken her spirit.

“It’s definitely been discouraging, and I have days where I’m less confident, but at the end I know that I’m going to get to where I need to go.”

“There’s doubt that seeps in, there’s self-deprecation, because you look to someone to blame and you can’t blame anyone but yourself, but I’ve never, ever thought, ‘I’m going to work in a mall.’”
Has Tinashe’s success narrative been impacted by the black community ‘not accepting’ her?

http://thatgrapejuice.net/2017/06/weigh-tinashe-says-black-community-doesnt-fully-accept/

Faustek

Morning all

I think the part of E3 I hate the most is the part when all the conferences are pretty much over and then Gaf is litered with threads full executive quotes. Nothing there but edgy hot takes and dumpster fires.

When's the Nintendo conference?

Afternoon.
Nintendo goes live in 2 Hours if I remember right. Don't remember if I did the UTC conversion right but If I remember right it's 9 AM PDT.

That's always sad to hear and see the outcome of. Can't say I blame her for feeling that way but if there is any substance to it I do not know. Don't know her other than a few music videos.

Dereck

Morning,

Black Panther's 89million views got some people feeling some type of way on GAF......
I don't understand how 89 million views for a super hero movie trailer is anything special.

People can click on a video, watch for 6 seconds and then exit and it counts as a view. So the trailer got like 40 million views tbh. /s

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=240456254&postcount=53

Cn3APpL.gif

I don't understand how 89 million views for a super hero movie trailer is anything special.

People can click on a video, watch for 6 seconds and then exit and it counts as a view. So the trailer got like 40 million views tbh.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=240456254&postcount=53

Cn3APpL.gif

People are getting so passionate about YouTube views. That's hilarious to me. What matters is that people love the trailer and are genuinely interested in watching the movie (89 vs 40 million makes no difference).

Edited: some=so

Faustek

It's a phenomenal performance. He certainly has the most physicality of our Spider-Men thus far.

Indeed.
Man you don't get how excited I am. Spiderman, Black Panther, Spiderman Miles and Thanos. Only way this could get better is if Hulk really got a fully fledged World War Hulk movie. I'm talking really curbstomping Iron Man and his fellow know betters in the Marvel rooster XD

Remember the Hulk was the first Black superhero. Think about it.

Mornin' everyone.

Afternoon :)

I always feel so old reading these articles because seriously have no clue who this artist is. Same with that other rapper who felt the same way about the black community not embracing them.

I'll give them few spotify clicks just because

Edit - I've heard this! lol had no idea the artist name. Honestly thought this was Ciara or Jhene Aiko

Faustek

WTF is juice?

Wait I'm not sure if I get it. Is she attributing her lack of success because she's lightskin and then proceed to name Rihanna and Beyonce? Doesn't sound right to me. I think it's because she really can't sang, but on the other hand I don't think Rihanna and Beyonce can either so I don't know.

giphy.gif

You know they coming for you now?

EDIT: made a better.

LotusHD

Banned
WTF is grape juice?

Wait I'm not sure if I get it. Is she attributing her lack of success because she's lightskin and then proceed to name Rihanna and Beyonce? Doesn't sound right to me. I think it's because she really can't sang, but on the other hand I don't think Rihanna and Beyonce can either so I don't know.

I think she's saying that as far as black female artists are concerned, people only really give much attention to a very select few: Rihanna, Beyonce, Nicki Minaj for rap I suppose, to name some examples. For the rest of the ladies, she feels that it is harder to distinguish themselves from those artists. Whereas male rappers get a lot more room to all co-exist despite a lot of them sounding the same in her opinion, she feels that there's this whole "There can only be one" type of mentality where black female artists are concerned I guess. I dunno, that's how I'm taking it, could be completely wrong lmao

Anyways, I think this is the racism part she's alluding to, while the colorism issue (that she's referring to) has to do with her struggling to be accepted by the black community due to her being mixed.

-----

Faustek

Lol you gotta be fucking me. "games that will mostly be released in 2017" shows a title for a game and nothing else.

Also screw Prime. Give me 2D metroid.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom