• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Black Culture Thread |OT19| - You Still Can't Say Tanned

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yo, I was all worried about my book title, "Waking Up Colored" still think it was the right thing not to use that title, but after seeing the Story of OJ video holy shit that is pretty ballsy, turning all those old racist cartoons around like that.

I have no idea what direction this is gonna go, but only someone at the level of Jay-Z could get away with that

It's cute that y'all think Jay-Z has any power politically.

Johndoey

Banned
This is normally where people would say something about your like for Gotham, and your consistently contrarian tastes, but I'll bite.

Why aren't they good, in your opinion?
I think Doctor Strange is just a hideous dull movie, I appreciate the artisty and the set-pieces, but it has nothing to offer beyond that. And it wastes Mads Mikkelsen which didn't win it any points my book.

GoTG 2 felt like it leaned to heavily into the comedy and besides that Pratt is wooden as hell and drags down some of the most important scenes in the movie. Baby Groot was an annoyance and Rockets character arc was half baked.

Rooker is amazing though and I'd re-watch the movie just for him.

I no longer can stand the word lit, I've been on the fence for a long time about it. The amount of times I've overheard white people use in every single aspect since I've been back in Cali, I can't take it anymore.

Those sandals are Lit.
Yes are we going out tonight? I'm going to make it lit.
Your hair is lit.
That car is lit.
lol I renovated my house now its lit.

enough, back to vancouver

giphy.gif

Johndoey

Banned
I no longer can stand the word lit, I've been on the fence for a long time about it. The amount of times I've overheard white people use in every single aspect since I've been back in Cali, I can't take it anymore.

Those sandals are Lit.
Yes are we going out tonight? I'm going to make it lit.
Your hair is lit.
That car is lit.
lol I renovated my house now its lit.

enough, back to vancouver

giphy.gif
Your opinion on lit is hella lit bruv.

They really did a good job of making them all feel like actual kids. Rather than a bunch of Mortgage paying adults in school.

Michael Keaton is really fucking good as the antagonist. One of the best Marvel baddies, easily.

Marissa Tomei is also really good as a cool aunt May. But not in a pandering way.

Tony is there for just the right amount, and doesn't out stay his welcome.

Ohh. Donald Glover was in it less then i thought he'd be.

Ummm. That's all i can think of right now. Sorry.

Can't wait for tomorrow morning!!!

And here we go, I'm being told BLM is a terrorist group. Cops love all people. Cops are all trained across the country to perform deescalation no matter what. The only reason they shoot is when provoked, All cops are good.

You can't make this shit up this old ass white man trying to come at me for my patch.
Dude has an Australian accent.

Faustek

And here we go, I'm being told BLM is a terrorist group. Cops love all people. Cops are all trained across the country to perform deescalation no matter what. The only reason they shoot is when provoked, All cops are good.

You can't make this shit up this old ass white man trying to come at me for my patch.
Dude has an Australian accent.

Wonderful.
I'm not sorry to say this but Australia can literally go down a swamp. How openly hostile and racist their officials are and the sentiment people hold in their views and the "woke ally" have bended so far back that they are literally up their own ass is pathetic. If I ever visit again.. Nah, I'll never go there again.

Imm0rt4l

I've entered that in the defense of white males thread about a half dozen times, began to comment, only to delete it each time. Nope. Not today.

Good morning

TheSun

Splatoon 2 looks cool.

Salmon run looked the most interesting to me. Shame about its limited availability.

Hope nobody says Marina is ganguro or whatever.

Crocodile

I haven't gotten a chance to deep dive the Splatoon 2 threads yet but I'm kind of curious how much conversation is about "She's Black/No she's Ganguro/No she's Tanned/etc." LOL

Did Nintendo recently discover that black people were a thing? Nintendo went from having almost none to multiple in first party launches.

I don't know who over there got the message but bless their heart <3 <3 <3

I've entered that in the defense of white males thread about a half dozen times, began to comment, only to delete it each time. Nope. Not today.

Good morning

Yeah, same honestly :/

Splatoon 2 looks cool.

Salmon run looked the most interesting to me. Shame about its limited availability.

Hope nobody says Marina is ganguro or whatever.

Well.....

Also.....

To all those I cite, if you read this do know I'm NOT trying to shit on or shame on you. I'm just responding to the question as to if anyone said this.

Good morning
Have you thanked a white man today for all the good he's done for you?
/s

As soon as I saw him listing "white" "accomplishments", I knew the thread and accompanying article was going to be trash.

Sou Da

Between there three big first party games Nintendo has 4 black women playing big parts in their games.
"WELL ACTUALLY, (Explains how none of these fictional women I'm attracted could possibly be black or inspired by black women)."

There's Twitter for you.

shingi70

Banned
Still surprised how Nintendo made a game that revolves around a bunch of hypebeasts playing paintball a big deal.

Next animal crossing game better have a way to change your skin color at the start.

Mizerman

They really did a good job of making them all feel like actual kids. Rather than a bunch of Mortgage paying adults in school.

Michael Keaton is really fucking good as the antagonist. One of the best Marvel baddies, easily.

Marissa Tomei is also really good as a cool aunt May. But not in a pandering way.

Tony is there for just the right amount, and doesn't out stay his welcome.

Ohh. Donald Glover was in it less then i thought he'd be.

Ummm. That's all i can think of right now. Sorry.

Sold even more.

Crocodile

Because anything lighter and the people will say they're not really black. Like Clementine.

I mean even with "charcol-black" characters you still got people going "I'm pretty sure that's Ganguro!"

Also many/most game designers are pretty bad about Black Hair or other features you tend to see In Black people or other POC (especially noses) so they fall back hard on skin tone since they won't use the entire toolbox.

Ivan 3414

What's with Nintendo having these darkskinned girls also being the most sexualized characters in their respective games? Twintelle flipping and strutting with her hands on those big-ass hips, now Marina showing all sorts of skin and cleavage. Definitely side-eyeing this even though I do like the designs and the idea of more black/brown representation.

Kreed

Why all black characters in games are dark skinned/brown skinned though? We range from Forest Whitaker to Blu Cantrell.

Because anything lighter and the people will say they're not really black. Like Clementine.

Yep. From cartoons to games involving stylized characters. Anyone without "stereotypical" Black features and mannerisms is anything but Black. Meanwhile everyone else is White unless it's stated directly by the character regardless if their name is Jack, Jamal, or Junichi.

Imm0rt4l

Dont even bother. Too many of those folks believe that white males face the most racial persecution in the world.
And these people unwittingly make the case for us not wanting them in our spaces and conversations. They're oblivious, and that also goes for the black/poc posters who always come out the woodwork to defend white male hegemony. Because they need protection, clearly.

That was a while ago. We talking about the now.

So it only counts if it was released within an arbitrary window?

What's with Nintendo having these darkskinned girls also being the most sexualized characters in their respective games? Twintelle flipping and strutting with her hands on those big-ass hips, now Marina showing all sorts of skin and cleavage. Definitely side-eyeing this even though I do like the designs and the idea of more black/brown representation.

She's a musician. I don't know of many pop stars all dressed up. And Twintelle is a fashion model/movie star. Some of you are seeing problems when there isn't any

Still surprised how Nintendo made a game that revolves around a bunch of hypebeasts playing paintball a big deal.

Next animal crossing game better have a way to change your skin color at the start.

This is made by the Animal Crossing team so I'd be surprised, and pissed, if it wasn't an option.

Good morning

I think the funniest thing is I've been in that thread for ages and they all just go off on hypotheticals of being excommunicated from conversations with black folk because they're white, and not listened to because they're white, or told to shut up because they're white.

Meanwhile I'm in there and no one is telling me to shut up... I wonder what's different? I guarantee you most of those guys have no idea I'm white.

LotusHD

Banned

I don't really have an issue with characters like Twintelle or Urbosa, as well as Riju. I guess it is more noticeable with Marina though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom