• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Black Culture Thread |OT3| Lighten Up

Status
Not open for further replies.

DY_nasty

NeoGAF's official "was this shooting justified" consultant
I don't know what guys are doing wrong. I get obvious openings and signals every couple months from complete strangers without knowing them or talking or starting up conversations. And believe me, I'm pretty average looking.

dat nose

i5WSFpNsVuR43.png

Yeah I know, I know.

I don't know what guys are doing wrong. I get obvious openings and signals every couple months from complete strangers without knowing them or talking or starting up conversations. And believe me, I'm pretty average looking.

Who knows. Psyching themselves out. Being oblivious to the signals. Thinking the girl/woman isn't worth their time. In every single one of those threads there's always so much talk about attractive women that they expect to settle on them but what about them settling for a less attractive woman?

DY_nasty

Yeah I know, I know.

I told people in the last dating thread (that i gave a fuck about) that its easier to just have your shit together and be a cool guy to hang out with - then friends will do all the work for you. Everyone likes to see their friends with someone good. If you're good, then you're good.

Just a matter of being able and willing to step into that sort of circle. Let them know your shit is together and that you're looking (and be honest about it) and the rest works itself out. Picking up random strangers is doable, but don't be expecting to come off well 100% of the time and don't expect any success to be consistent either.

DominoKid

You still around Durham?

Because Fuck Durham.

As soon as you leave, you'll see how dark it is there.
i5WSFpNsVuR43.png

oh no i'm from the Triad. most of what i'm talking about happens when i'm at school or somewhere in the Triad. hitting Durham is a rare occasion these days.

damn

this real talk got my catching feels for you bro

i will say that i think i'm in a better place than i was a year ago w/ it. i used to just blame any and everything for it to the point where i wouldn't even try.

DY_nasty

oh no i'm from the Triad. most of what i'm talking about happens when i'm at school or somewhere in the Triad. hitting Durham is a rare occasion these days.

i will say that i think i'm in a better place than i was a year ago w/ it. i used to just blame any and everything for it to the point where i wouldn't even try.

Greensboro sucks too

#stillmad
#justified

Who knows. Psyching themselves out. Being oblivious to the signals. Thinking the girl/woman isn't worth their time. In every single one of those threads there's always so much talk about attractive women that they expect to settle on them but what about them settling for a less attractive woman?

Went down this road back in the day

mrwrong.mp3

Shit didn't end well

It's best to go for someone you're attracted to/compatible with than to just settle.

Yeah I know, I know.

I think I do these the most. Don't know if I can help either of them, seeing as I don't really pay much attention to people unless I know they're cool.

LosDaddie

Banned
But see the compatible part does mean settling for someone who isn't some underwear model.

I know two people (both females) who talk about 'NOT SETTLING' when it comes to relationships, and they are both single. They are really hung up on it, and it's prevented them from ever having a real/long term relationship.

Settling doesn't mean going for someone you're not attracted to. Attraction is a necessity. It just means setting realistic standards for yourself.

If you're walking around in wrinkled t-shirts, unkempt hair, and socks under flip flops.. don't expect to pull someone who is always at the salon/barbershop and wearing designer clothes. They're just not going to be interested in someone who doesn't meet standards that they set for themselves.

Slayven

I know two people (both females) who talk about 'NOT SETTLING' when it comes to relationships, and they are both single. They are really hung up on it, and it's prevented them from ever having a real/long term relationship.
I feel settling and comprising are bad terms to use. Folks need to look past harmless flaws and release no one is going to check every box.

RedSwirl

Oh now I see what happened. The rejection thread went and turned into another one of those dating advice/depression threads. Man. I hope that's not what happened to the sexual advances obliviousness thread. I've been saving that one for a while to read on a weekend or something.

But see the compatible part does mean settling for someone who isn't some underwear model.

Eh, men bomb with women who are less attractive than them all the time. It's all about what's going on in said womans mind--what she thinks her options are, what her attractions are, etc.

It's complicated.

I'm also tired of giving out advise to those who cry about getting girls when they use online dating exclusively. It's like trying to explain why you're constantly losing in street fighter with a significant handicap--dude, the system wasn't in your favor from the get go.

Slayven

See, from this music I think simps get the idea that just showing devotion will get you through the game by showing that you aren't some jerk just after pussy. But, did any of those songs mention you need to confirm that a girl is actually interested in you first?
Joe covers that.

Onemic

Oh. So that's KevinCow. Just got to that part in the thread. Damn.

It's honestly getting annoying. I used to have sympathy for him because of the episode where he almost committed suicide, but I have a hard time doing it now.

People are being too light on him. That dude is not ready to date anyone....for a while.

LosDaddie

Banned
I feel settling and comprising are bad terms to use. Folks need to look past harmless flaws and release no one is going to check every box.

Very bad terms, at least from my exeperience. Like I said, the only 2 people I ever known to use the term "NOT SETTLING" remain single to this day. Never having any type of real relationship in all the years I've known them. They are really stuck on the idea. And these are 2 attractive females that you wouldn't think would be single, either. One of them goes out all the time and does hook up with guys, but they all leave her after a few weeks (if that). :lol

keith sweat

Fuck, man. Sweat was the jam back in the day. Back when MTV showed music videos.

That dude is not ready to date anyone....for a while.

That's a problem with a lot people on gaf and otherwise. They should be working on themselves before they put their incomplete asses on the market. If you don't like your self loathing ass why would/should anyone else?

Girlfriends/boyfriends aren't supposed to be your therapist, go get some help

FyreWulff

I had issues to work through but I eventually found out that people that want to play the little games aren't worth the time anymore. From the queens that want to string along to the dorks too obtuse to realize what a relationship is.

Minimum age limit for people to go on dates with notably above 18 has been a good ruleset for cutting out the dramabombs.

Somebody already did "Nigeria please"

ha

That's a problem with a lot people on gaf and otherwise. They should be working on themselves before they put their incomplete asses on the market. If you don't like your self loathing ass why would/should anyone else?

BINGO no woman wants a man that can barely wash his ass and looks like his mom is still dressing him. The first thing most women notice about a man is his appearance from his hair on down to the shoes and if you lacking in any of those she isn't getting you the time or day.

Who are they waiting for, Brad Pitt?

Eh, men bomb with women who are less attractive than them all the time. It's all about what's going on in said womans mind--what she thinks her options are, what her attractions are, etc.

It's complicated.

I'm also tired of giving out advise to those who cry about getting girls when they use online dating exclusively. It's like trying to explain why you're constantly losing in street fighter with a significant handicap--dude, the system wasn't in your favor from the get go.

It's rather simple but people make it complicated. Someone is interested or they aren't. If you limit your pool of possibilities you're going to get rejected on a higher scale than if you keep it broad. If you're socially inept and people can see the desperation with which you ask them, is it any wonder they're going to reject you? Who wants to be a pity date so to speak? No one wants to be someone's desperate attempt not to be lonely, they want to be with someone who interests them and keeps them entertained. Where relationships become chores is when both people are hanging on to something that's gone or scared of being alone. People can sense this, not just women but as it so happens the people typically doing the asking are men. I'm sure men who've been approached by enough women have turned some down simply because they knew the woman was clingy as fuck.

Slayven

another thing is they feel like getting someone will fix all their problems. They don't realize the thing about relationship give and take.

I think the worst part of it is the entitlement, like someone owes you a date, even when you know you're an asshole and being completely disingenuous. Blows my mind.

Or basically "Nice Guys™."

trixx

Sorry guys i know this is the wrong thread to post this.

Basically i don't want to pull out my flip phone in public this is why i don't ask girls for their numbers. So i'm planning on getting a smart phone. I know absolutely nothing about smartphones, but i don't really care if it's top of the line or not and i am not using data.

I have $300 worth of reward points with my phone provider and im planning on buying a phone seperately but only adding $200 max.

They are offering me an iphone 4 for 190 and a galaxy nexus for 90 but i can buy other phones they are providing as well on their website. Can anyone help or refer me to another thread, thanks.

Basically i don't want to pull out my flip phone in public this is why i don't ask girls for their numbers. So i'm planning on getting a smart phone. I know absolutely nothing about smartphones, but i don't really care if it's top of the line or not and i am not using data.

I have $300 worth of reward points with my phone provider and im planning on buying a phone seperately but only adding $200 max.

They are offering me an iphone 4 for 190 and a galaxy nexus for 90 but i can buy other phones they are providing as well on their website. Can anyone help or refer me to another thread, thanks.
what else is in your price range?

FyreWulff

Before I went to Canada I had a bar shaped Tracfone.

It was effective at getting people to actually talk to me on the phone instead of texting. I hate texting. If they texted me they had to wait like 3 minutes per reply for me to pound it out using the numbers.

Up here I have a Samsung Galaxy Ace with no plan, which is fine since I only use it inside my apartment so I'm on wifi anyway. Canadians are getting robbed with their phone plans

trixx

Timedog has a flip phone from like 2006.

We probably have the same phone. I'm kidding i don't have a problem pulling it out but i feel i need to upgrade, plus the "i'm getting a new phone" line is getting tiresome.

The other phones they are offering are sony xperia u, htc desire C, blackberry and LG optimus L7 might just wait for nexus 4 when available. Sorry for disrupting your discussion guys.

We probably have the same phone. I'm kidding i don't have a problem pulling it out but i feel i need to upgrade, plus the "i'm getting a new phone" line is getting tiresome.

The other phones they are offering are sony xperia u, htc desire C, blackberry and LG optimus L7. Sorry for disrupting your discussion guys.

Is it some shitty samsung with no color?

The other phones they are offering are sony xperia u, htc desire C, blackberry and LG optimus L7 might just wait for nexus 4 when available. Sorry for disrupting your discussion guys.

that one is always a good choice.

Gorillaz

..the fuck
image.php

get a galaxy phone bro

ReiGun

I never really simped in the ways people describe in this thread. I never bought anyone anything, made anyone anything, or listened to anyone's problems because I thought it would make them fall in love with me. Hell, until I got in college, nobody ever asked me to listen to their problems. I used to do people favors, but mostly small shit, like loaning pencils or whatever. (I still do people favors, but now it's because I just like helping people. lol)

I didn't even consider the possibility of having a girlfriend when I was younger, so I guess I just stopped "simping" because I realized it wasn't going to work, just like anything else I tried. Nowadays, I feel like I could get a girl if I wanted to, but I'm much too self-conscious about my current station in life - unemployed college grad living at home - to try really. I always say I'm not going to get involved dating people if I can't even meet the same standards for myself that I expect them to meet.

Aside from all that, I'm happy as fuck nowadays. I don't have everything I want yet, but meh. No point wallowing in misery. Would rather just grind and try to level up. I just wish other people on gaf could get that. :/

This is another problem. I never pick up on these kinds of things. I always assume people are just being nice. lol

RedSwirl

I think the worst part of it is the entitlement, like someone owes you a date, even when you know you're an asshole and being completely disingenuous. Blows my mind.

Or basically "Nice Guys™."

I still have never met such a person, but from wht I've seen guys who employ Nice Guy/Simp tactics are usually just waiting for the girl in question to ask them out.

I never really simped in the ways people describe in this thread. I never bought anyone anything, made anyone anything, or listened to anyone's problems because I thought it would make them fall in love with me. Hell, until I got in college, nobody ever asked me to listen to their problems. I used to do people favors, but mostly small shit, like loaning pencils or whatever. (I still do people favors, but now it's because I just like helping people. lol)

I didn't even consider the possibility of having a girlfriend when I was younger, so I guess I just stopped "simping" because I realized it wasn't going to work, just like anything else I tried. Nowadays, I feel like I could get a girl if I wanted to, but I'm much too self-conscious about my current station in life - unemployed college grad living at home - to try really. I always say I'm not going to get involved dating people if I can't even meet the same standards for myself that I expect them to meet.

Aside from all that, I'm happy as fuck nowadays. I don't have everything I want yet, but meh. No point wallowing in misery. Would rather just grind and try to level up. I just wish other people on gaf could get that. :
/

I'm more or less in the same position man.

DY_nasty

I'm dumb as fuck when it comes to picking up signals.

Also, I took this girl's number down on the back of my friend's shirt once. Fuck spending money on something like that. Those phones can get expensive as hell - the only reason I have a smart phone is for work. I'd never have left my Chocolate if I didn't need to.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom