• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Black Culture Thread |OT3| Lighten Up

Status
Not open for further replies.
A personal genomics company in Switzerland says they've reconstructed a DNA profile of King Tutankhamen by watching the Discovery Channel, claiming the results suggest more than half of Western European men are related to the boy king. But researchers who worked to decode Tut's genome in the first place say the claim is "unscientific."

Swiss genomics company iGENEA has launched a Tutankhamen DNA project based on what they say are genetic markers that appeared on a computer screen during a Discovery Channel special on the famous pharaoh's genetic lineage.

"Maybe they didn't know what they showed, but we got 16 markers from the Y chromosome from these pharaohs," Roman Scholz, the managing director of iGENEA, told LiveScience.

If the claims were true, it would put King Tut in a genetic profile group shared by more than half of Western European men. That would make those men relatives — albeit distant ones — of the pharaoh.

But Carsten Pusch, a geneticist at Germany's University of Tubingen who was part of the team that unraveled Tut's DNA from samples taken from his mummy and mummies of his family members, said that iGENEA's claims are "simply impossible." Pusch and his colleagues published part of their results, though not the Y-chromosome DNA, in the Journal of the American Medical Association (JAMA) in 2010. The Y chromosome is the sex chromosome found only in males, and looking at the genes in this chromosome would show Tut's male lineage.

Pusch's team used snippets of Y-chromosome DNA to link Tut to his closest relatives, identifying his mom and dad. But they didn't publish the full genetic data that would allow genomics companies like iGENEA to link modern people to the Tutankhamen lineage. According to Scholz, that crucial data is what appeared on the Discovery Channel.

http://www.livescience.com/15388-discovery-channel-tutankhamen-dna.html

I think i'll trust this one over the other.

I busted up laughing while editing:

"A movie that is bad, I have to say as well, is The Book of Eli. I'm calling you out Gary Whitta, your movie sucks!"

I could use some ideas for intro/outro for our PS4/NextGen podcast. All editing is pretty much done except for that.

your intro needs to have something to do with rams

ram.jpeg

Not going to bother posting in that thread but in my opinion it doesn't matter whether it's the webster's dictionary-wikipedia entry definition-urbandictionary definition of blackface or not -- it was still a pretty and extremely douchebag/scum/idiot move by that politician.

Not going to bother posting in that thread but in my opinion it doesn't matter whether it's the webster's dictionary-wikipedia entry definition-urbandictionary definition of blackface or not -- it was still a pretty and extremely douchebag/scum/idiot move by that politician.

I don't think anyone in that thread thinks it was smart move on the guy's part.

Paint face brown, put on an afro and say you're poking fun at 'those black basketball players'.

What more would that man have to do in order to fit into some people's appearantly strict definition of black face?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom