• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Black Culture Thread |OT3| Lighten Up

Status
Not open for further replies.

harSon

Banned
Tyler Perry got your black positivity coming, no sweat:

I still think a lot of the hatred his stuff receives is a tad bit overstated. I mean, he's not a terribly good actor and his screenwriting lacks originality over the duration of his filmography, but his stuff isn't offensively bad like some suggest. Yeah, he relies on stereotypes, but you'd be hard pressed to find a comedy that doesn't. But then again, I haven't seen anything of his since Meet the Browns (the movie).

DrFunk

not licensed in your state
I still think a lot of the hatred his stuff receives is a tad bit overstated. I mean, he's not a terribly good actor and his screenwriting lacks originality over the duration of his filmography, but his stuff isn't offensively bad like some suggest. Yeah, he relies on stereotypes, but you'd be hard pressed to find a comedy that doesn't. But then again, I haven't seen anything of his since Meet the Browns (the movie).

I suppose I do give him a lot of flak (especially what he does for black actors in Hollywood), but it's only because I believe he sells a "fantasy lifestyle" that some of us just eat up. (imo) Additionally, it's all so formulaic:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hJtYVpLAZmI&feature=share&list=FLdiXFpNyFWuXpkwU78L_vlg

But he does help aspiring actors, which is more than anyone else can say they do.

Did you see that movie with Rick Fox and Angela Bassett?

That shit was offensively bad.

harSon

Banned
Did you see that movie with Rick Fox and Angela Bassett?

That shit was offensively bad.

Yeah, that was Meet the Browns I believe. Wasn't a fan.

Of the movies of his I've seen, I found Diary of a Mad Black Woman, Daddy's Little Girl (Probably his best) and Why Did I Get Married? to be entertaining. They're not great or anything, but I came away entertained.

I also watched House of Payne for a few seasons. The show starts off fairly mediocre, but all of the actors begin to gel into their roles and it gets better. It's not the best black sitcom in the world, far from it, but I enjoyed it for what it was. A lot of my enjoyment probably had to do with the fact that the family came off as a carbon copy of my own. A religious mother with a heart of gold who is the rock of the family. A dad who's not all that religious but pretends to be due to the mother, and is hilarious and cheap. A son whose been in college for what seems like a decade. Grandchildren/Nephews/Nieces who damn near live in your house. Pretty much everything outside of the immediate family was complete crap though.

It hit too close to home for me not to enjoy it, though.

Oldschoolgamer

The physical form of blasphemy
My issue with Perry stems from how formulaic his shit is. It's obvious that he's talented. In some instances, his DP will sneak some gorgeous shots in his films. It's just that he does not branch out at all.

edit: Boondocks is pretty accurate, even regarding his films other than Diary of a Mad Black Women. Us light skinned saviors will always be the heroes in his films.

zero_suit

My issue with Perry stems from how formulaic his shit is. It's obvious that he's talented. In some instances, his DP will sneak some gorgeous shots in his films. It's just that he does not branch out at all.

edit: Boondocks is pretty accurate, even regarding his films other than Diary of a Mad Black Women. Us light skinned saviors will always be the heroes in his films.

So true, but he gets away with it because his film budgets are so low. After the first weekend, he's already making a profit.

weepy

So true, but he gets away with it because his film budgets are so low. After the first weekend, he's already making a profit.

Not only that, he keeps black actors employed with movies that doesn't portray African-Americans in a negative light (@ least not intentionally)

harSon

Banned

Comedies in general are formulaic. Particularly the Romantic Comedy which his films are situated within, especially those with an injection of Melodrama for good measure. Judd Apatow's films, for example, are every bit as formulaic as Tyler Perry's films, and they often employ stereotypes for comedic effect.

Oldschoolgamer

The physical form of blasphemy
Comedies in general are formulaic. Particularly the Romantic Comedy which his films are situated within, especially those with an injection of Melodrama for good measure. Judd Apatow's films, for example, are every bit as formulaic as Tyler Perry's films, and they often employ stereotypes for comedic effect.

The difference between Apatow and Perry, is that Judd's resume is filled with way more variety. Even if he thrives in the Romantic Comedy genre, the scenarios for his movies tend to change over a time. For the most part, Tyler remains stagnant with his bread and butter.

harSon

Banned
The difference between Apatow and Perry, is that Judd's resume is filled with way more variety. Even if he thrives in the Romantic Comedy genre, the scenarios for his movies tend to change over a time. For the most part, Tyler remains stagnant with his bread and butter.

How about someone like Woody Allen?

I don't really care so much about a repeative formula when its such a crap end product.

Apatow has a blueprint, but he puts out good stuff usually. Perry could crank out formulaic stuff if he occasionally gave us a 'Knocked Up' or '40 year old Virgin'.

weepy

I don't really care so much about a repeative formula when its such a crap end product.

Apatow has a blueprint, but he puts out good stuff usually. Perry could crank out formulaic stuff if he occasionally gave us a 'Knocked Up' or '40 year old Virgin'.

The problem with Apatow is usually his movies are 30 mins to an hour too long.

RedSwirl

can I get some Ronin Warriors nostalgia up in this thread?

fEQUC.gif

I still maintain that Michiko to Hatchin is the last good new anime I've seen in the last... five years?

Man, Django Unchained had a lot of cute black girls in it. Especially the one that was leading him around on the first plantation. Just sayin

Oh yeah, almost forgot about him. I'm sure Mr. Perry's smart enough to make a comedy without having the cast act a fool or dressing in drag, right?

The movies without the Madea And Mr. Brown characters are kinda of close the only character that kinda fits their role is the one Tasha Smith usually plays.

harSon

Banned
Oh man, dominating an interview is the greatest feeling in the world. Confidence is such a great fucking tool, and when luck swings in your favor, it's some awesome shit.

I literally walked into a place I wanted to work at, asked if they were hiring, they said no, so I asked if I could talk to someone regarding the company since they're situated within an industry I'd like to break into, and after a short wait, someone came out. I asked about the company, told her about my experiences, etc. I could tell she wasn't feeling me at first and was questioning the point of all this since there were no openings, but then I mentioned I went to University of California, Santa Cruz and I saw her eye brows pop up and a grin form across her face. I knew I was in. I started dropping knowledge bombs, shooting the shit and selling myself. Then I mentioned the fact that I was born in Pittsburgh, PA and she flipped out, so was she. I mean, what are the chances? Shit went real well.

She told me there were no openings within the company, but that she was sure she could find somewhere to put me, and she'd schedule a follow up next week to discuss the details.

zero_suit

Oh man, dominating an interview is the greatest feeling in the world. Confidence is such a great fucking tool, and when luck swings in your favor, it's some awesome shit.

I literally walked into a place I wanted to work at, asked if they were hiring, they said no, so I asked if I could talk to someone regarding the company since they're situated within an industry I'd like to break into, and after a short wait, someone came out. I asked about the company, told her about my experiences, etc. I could tell she wasn't feeling me at first and was questioning the point of all this since there were no openings, but then I mentioned I went to University of California, Santa Cruz and I saw her eye brows pop up and a grin form across her face. I knew I was in. I started dropping knowledge bombs, shooting the shit and selling myself. Then I mentioned the fact that I was born in Pittsburgh, PA and she flipped out, so was she. I mean, what are the chances? Shit went real well.

She told me there were no openings within the company, but that she was sure she could find somewhere to put me, and she'd schedule a follow up next week to discuss the details.

Get dat money!!

I know that feel, and that feel is good. Good work.

Onemic

Good work man, I still need to get my ass employed.

Anyone play that Ni No Kuni game? What y'all think of it?

FreeMufasa

Boss tings.

I'm planning to do the same sort of thing next week. I had a shit interview earlier this week. The website says email or drop in at our office to inquire. I'm just gonna roll up in there Tuesday morning all suited and booted n tell them why they should give me a job. Here's hoping I get the same reaction as you.

Shake dat ass on the Internet.

harSon

Banned
Boss tings.

I'm planning to do the same sort of thing next week. I had a shit interview earlier this week. The website says email or drop in at our office to inquire. I'm just gonna roll up in there Tuesday morning all suited and booted n tell them why they should give me a job. Here's hoping I get the same reaction as you.

Shake dat ass on the Internet.

I've been doing it this entire week, and this was the second time I was able to talk to someone out of probably 10-15 attempts. Dropping in uninvited definitely has its perks. The biggest thing is not reduced being to a Cover Letter and Resume, and being filtered out of contention that way.

Imm0rt4l

My nigga...

DrFunk

not licensed in your state

niiiiiiice

Nakazato

Swag

And yea the film industry is a bitch to really break into. Been trying for 3 years. But i think im going to join the military for broadcasting 8 years get out and get back to grinding trying to make it in. Plus they will move me to cali after im out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom