• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Black Culture Thread |OT3| Lighten Up

Status
Not open for further replies.
any reviews of the video quality?

Haven't seen any but watching the bluray trailer on youtube in 1080p it looks like they did a good job.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=juMFeiGIL7w

Here is one

Making its Blu-ray debut for its 25th anniversary, Willow features a 1080p/AVC-encoded transfer overseen by George Lucas himself. In a word, the picture is gorgeous, especially if you've grown accustomed to the now-ancient DVD. To start, there's not a scratch, speck, stain, or hair on this print —it's immaculate. The only evidence of age is some slight, barely perceivable brightness fluctuation in certain scenes, but you'd have to go out of your way to look for it. And while it does appear that there is some measure of noise reduction in a few scenes, grain is still readily apparent in the image, and there's none of that ugly DNR smearing that accompanies the most careless restorations. Quite the contrary. Willow seems to have been treated with kid gloves. No edge enhancement. No compression issues. No artificial-looking contrast or saturation boosting. The image is natural, filmic, and—on top of that—often wickedly sharp in high definition for a kids' movie from the mid-1980s. Just look at the screenshots of Elora's nappy swaddling clothes. Or the detail in Bavmorda's witchy facial features. Color is well-adjusted too, with consistent skin tones, good density, and a balanced contrast curve. If you've been waiting for years to finally have Willow in high definition, you certainly won't be disappointed. This is a Grade-A catalog restoration.

If George Lucas and THX are involved, you know the sound design is going to be thoughtfully engineered for immersion and clarity. That's certainly the case with Willow's lossless DTS-HD Master Audio 5.1 surround track, which is engaging from the prologue's crackling thunder to the pouring rain and arcs of electricity that accompany the climactic wizard battle. In nearly every scene, the full soundfield is being utilized, blending clear dialogue up front with rear channel ambience—birds, insects, wind, village festival sounds—and pinpoint directional noises, like dog snarls or the baby's cries. The track is unrelenting in a good way, and it's always clean and full-sounding, with no tinniness or crackling or harsh highs. The film's magical score comes from prolific composer James Horner—Avatar, A Beautiful Mind, Aliens, Cocoon—and it too swells out from every speaker with presence and strength. The disc also includes several dub and subtitle options; see above for complete details.
http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Willow-Blu-ray/42185/#Review

$15 on Amazon and at BestBuy, if your an 80s kid you got no excuse!

My younger sister was raised catholic by her godmother. There side of the family is catholic and all are mixed/black. Majority of us from La are Baptist. Whats funny is now my sister is a practicing Buddhist.

Yeap. It's right off Decker blvd. My old man drove me by it a few years ago. Mind blown.

I'm sittin here trying to think where it is and I can't lol. Like by RNE or closer to Two Notch? Shit I'll figure it out, I actually gotta drive up to Cola next month because my brother is going to be in town from Afghan so we'll probably drive around. It's crazy cause I have a gang of Asian friends and I've never known there was an Asian synagogue.

This has me posing the question where is everyone from. Born and raised in Baton Rouge, did a stint in Ft Jackson and Ft Bragg but currently reside in West Georgia. (Carrollton/Villa Rica)

Onemic

How many black catholics do you guys know?

I don't think I've ever met one in socal.

Since I'm in Canada, every christian black person I know is either Catholic(majority), Anglican, Seventh day Adventist, or Jehovah's witness. I've never met a Baptist black person, unless I go to the states.

I am technically a black catholic (confirmed and all that)

mr jones

Ethnicity is not a race!
To this day, I still do not understand the difference between Anglicans, Lutherans, Baptists, and Protestants. Other than politics involving the catholic church, they're all christians. They all believe in the holy trinity, they all believe that the bible is holy scripture, they believe in Jesus as being Christ, and all that that entails.

But that's for another thread. Three things you don't talk about in the Black Culture Thread: Religion, Politics, and the Great Pumpkin.

Onemic

To this day, I still do not understand the difference between Anglicans, Lutherans, Baptists, and Protestants. Other than politics involving the catholic church, they're all christians. They all believe in the holy trinity, they all believe that the bible is holy scripture, they believe in Jesus as being Christ, and all that that entails.

To me they're all the same thing. Catholic, baptist, and all the others. it's just the exact same shit but with different politics. The biggest difference I ever see is between Catholic mass and Baptist mass. Baptist mass is always a damn party.

Slayven

I was raised southern baptist, I once went to a catholic church with a friend as a kid. Shit blew my mind, out of church before 12? They don't feed you? cushions on the pews? all that kneeling? causal dress? Preacher not sounding like a mad man?

I was like "Was this real life?"

FyreWulff

Mom is a Jew, started as one, dad is a Christian, dad took us to a Black Baptist church for a year or two while he had us for visitation. Been to Salvy church since then, but for that I was just showing up to help my mom with food prep and random tasks they needed help with. Sometimes I humored them by sitting at the service, but I was just pretending to read the program 1000 times.

The baptists makes all the other christians look like lazy agnostics.

Slayven

Dude, my grandmother and couple old ladies will talk about fools in her church like teenage valley girls. They are straight catty.

I know right, would talk mad shit. But the minute one of the targets walk up it is all "Hey baby, how your mama doing?".

But that's for another thread. Three things you don't talk about in the Black Culture Thread: Religion, Politics, and the Great Pumpkin.

Watch and read anything about Henry VIII, you learn the whole sectioning off and how even within Protestant Reformation there were disagreements among clergy men with what the Church of England should do or entail.

FyreWulff

Church gossips and power plays are the worst.

The Salvation Army has a gossip problem real bad. And old women and men waving their power around.

My mom became the Kitchen Sergeant and the other women did lame power plays like forcing her to ask one of them for the keys to the kitchen every time she wanted to use it and constantly complaining that she didn't come to services on the buffet Sundays.

They didn't seem to quite understand that she needed the time during the entire service to make a fresh buffet for an entire congregation. Oh, and they bitched that she had her sons help her (her position was volunteer. The people constantly inserting themselves got paid by the SA for non-kitchen related positions)

We went to the first buffet service after she resigned because she was done with their shit. 30% of the food was burned, 30% of it was cold, and 30% of it was ordered from the pizza place and KFC.

edit: and this was THREE of the women that kept trying to say they could do it themselves that put it together.

OH HELL NAW NIGGA I'M THERE DAY ONE YO! OMG SNIPES IS BACK FO YO ASS YOU THINK I'M PLAYIN??? DAT SHIT TIGHT, YO! DAT SHIT TIGHT! ITS BLADE IN THE OLD WEST NIGGA THATS SO MONEY ITS GONNA BE MY GOAT FO SHO NIGGA WHAT???

...Sorry. For some reason undead, old west and Darkly Snipes just struck a nerve. I'm honestly giddy about this shit.

I think he will be out of prison in time to promote it, hahahaha

Slayven

Church gossips and power plays are the worst.

The Salvation Army has a gossip problem real bad. And old women and men waving their power around.

My mom became the Kitchen Sergeant and the other women did lame power plays like forcing her to ask one of them for the keys to the kitchen every time she wanted to use it and constantly complaining that she didn't come to services on the buffet Sundays.

They didn't seem to quite understand that she needed the time during the entire service to make a fresh buffet for an entire congregation. Oh, and they bitched that she had her sons help her (her position was volunteer. The people constantly inserting themselves got paid by the SA for non-kitchen related positions)

We went to the first buffet service after she resigned because she was done with their shit. 30% of the food was burned, 30% of it was cold, and 30% of it was ordered from the pizza place and KFC.

edit: and this was THREE of the women that kept trying to say they could do it themselves that put it together.
People like that have almost nothing else going on in their lives.

FyreWulff

Closer to the truth than you realize, half of them were retired and the other half were close to it. They still get to make decisions in the church for some reason though.

They tended to do these power plays all the time and push new families out the door with their games, not realizing that walking to the church alone, you walked past 4-5 other churches. If you want a congregation in that area you have to be competitive.

my mom was raised catholic, my dad lutheran. Growing up I got all the bible's greatest hits; Noah's Ark, Exodus and stuff like that. In the 7th or 8th grade I finally took it upon myself to read The Bible.

20-30 pages in I was like....alright, I'm gonna have to fact check this.

my mom was raised catholic, my dad lutheran. Growing up I got all the bible's greatest hits; Noah's Ark, Exodus and stuff like that. In the 7th or 8th grade I finally took it upon myself to read The Bible.

Catholic and Lutheran? That's like opposite ends of the spectrum of Christianity.

I'm sittin here trying to think where it is and I can't lol. Like by RNE or closer to Two Notch? Shit I'll figure it out, I actually gotta drive up to Cola next month because my brother is going to be in town from Afghan so we'll probably drive around. It's crazy cause I have a gang of Asian friends and I've never known there was an Asian synagogue.

Yeah dude this was years ago. I can't remember the road, but when you hit Decker Blvd coming off Two Notch make the right at that first light on Decker. A long horns restaurant is on the left. I haven't been in that area since me and the old man were over there, like I said this was some years ago but I'd assume it's still there. There a few Gaffers from SC but I've never crossed any so close to home. I'll be going back home next month also to check on the family. First stop Zesto's. 2nd stop Rush's!!!!

FyreWulff

How did they have so much time to themselves and still fail at cooking?

I think they felt my mom was just opening cans and heating things up on the stove and entirely undervalued her work. She knows production-level cooking so she knew all the strats and cooking methods to get a bunch of good food done in a reasonable timeframe, often setting up food the day before. She also had the entire food stock categorized and numbered (For rotation, etc). She also taught us how to cook and we helped with the cooking, and since she taught us production, we knew how to work cooperatively and not gum up the works. Sometimes they tried to jump in and help her, but they usually would contradict what she wanted or get flustered and leave.

The old ladies were used to cooking at home for themselves, had overly elaborate recipes unsuited for buffet work, and barely knew how to use the tools. They also tried to go to the full Sunday service while producing the food, so not only was it completely botched, it was also 40 minutes late. Her response to them every time was "I'm praying enough back here, so I think God can find me".

They also pushed back on any guys that wanted to help out. They were apparently miffed that there were men working in the kitchen with my mom. Which was us, her sons. Old boomer 'traditional roles' coots.

I could tell was hard for her to resign. She started out in the old building with 40 year old hardware. They later moved to a new building that had an entire full kitchen since it was built in cooperation with the local community college's cooking/restaurant program. Not even the love of the craft could overcome their constant power play control bullshit.

edit: the fam ended up all going to another Salvy corp across town to get away from the dying one.

DrFunk

not licensed in your state
I was born and raised in Atlanta, and attended an AME (African Methodist Episcopal) Church. AME churches are basically baptist churches, except more political since we have bishops.

I haven't been to church in years.

Slayven

I stopped at the begots.

I was born and raised in Atlanta, and attended an AME (African Methodist Episcopal) Church. AME churches are basically baptist churches, except more political since we have bishops.

I once tired to leave buckhead on a sunday morning. 2 hour drive turned into a 4 hour one.

Jackben

bitch I'm taking calls.
Closer to the truth than you realize, half of them were retired and the other half were close to it. They still get to make decisions in the church for some reason though.

They tended to do these power plays all the time and push new families out the door with their games, not realizing that walking to the church alone, you walked past 4-5 other churches. If you want a congregation in that area you have to be competitive.
Man shit like this just makes me mad. No wonder your mom quit.

I was raised catholic, baptised and went to catholic school until about 3rd grade. Then stopped going to church altogether and didn't really GAF about religion after thaf. Went to public school in Missouri, California and finally England before coming back here. Now in community college. My girl has dragged me to a few non-denominational services when we don't have a busy weekend but that's all I've really participated in.

If anything it's just all about the sense of community. I can respect church as a family tradition but don't really put any more weight in it than that.

Parallax

best seen in the classic "Shadow of the Beast"

born baptist, brought up in an AME church. some of those people made me despise the act of going to church. but others were some of the best people i met in my life. so i was a double edged sword.

Gorillaz

dont get me started on church gossip and titles. Thats all it is no matter what church you attend. My mother and moved from church to chruch over stupid piwer struggles between members. Over the years she stopped dealing with it.

Its sad tho. My grandmother has become the same and stopped going to church because of its politics. She still loves it tho along with the choir but avoids the trouble.

jesusmj_0001.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom