• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Black Culture Thread |OT3| Lighten Up

Status
Not open for further replies.

Oldschoolgamer

The physical form of blasphemy
I think Hollywood is trolling me with this movie:

Outcast (2013)
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1552224/

Premise: "A mysterious warrior teams up with the daughter and son of a deposed Chinese Emperor to defeat their cruel Uncle, who seeks their deaths."

Starring Nicolas Cage and Hayden Christensen.

I'd be offended if I weren't so impressed by the brilliance of the casting for such a premise.

LOL

Apparently, there just aren't enough Asians in the world to film. smh

Imm0rt4l

I think Hollywood is trolling me with this movie:

Outcast (2013)
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1552224/

Premise: "A mysterious warrior teams up with the daughter and son of a deposed Chinese Emperor to defeat their cruel Uncle, who seeks their deaths."

Starring Nicolas Cage and Hayden Christensen.

I'd be offended if I weren't so impressed by the brilliance of the casting for such a premise.
Asian brothers and sisters could learn a thing or two from us. They need to start flipping over tables, like now.

Wynnebeck

Banned
In my College Skills class yesterday we were discussing stereotypes and someone brought up black people liking watermelon and chicken. I told them that I loved chicken and hated watermelon. Everyone in class turned and looked at me like I said I was Hitler incarnate. Should I turn in my card? :(

Imm0rt4l

In my College Skills class yesterday we were discussing stereotypes and someone brought up black people liking watermelon and chicken. I told them that I loved chicken and hated watermelon. Everyone in class turned and looked at me like I said I was Hitler incarnate. Should I turn in my card? :(

Shiiiet....I'd have given them the same look.

One time at a professional conference, I was in the buffet line and I helped myself to some chicken, both hands were full. The guy in line next to me had some tongs in his hand and grabbed a piece of watermelon and put it on my plate. "This black guy likes fried chicken he clearly wants watermelon too", I'm sure is what he was thinking. I didn't know how to react to that as my industry is one dominated by white male 40 somethings(same as this gentleman in question), I'm not trying to burn bridges or seem indignant. I don't even fucking like watermelon.

watermelon is horrible cantaloupe for life

Satch

Banned

One time at a professional conference, I was in the buffet line and I helped myself to some chicken, both hands were full. The guy in line next to me had some tongs in his hand and grabbed a piece of watermelon and put it on my plate. "This black guy likes fried chicken he clearly wants watermelon too", I'm sure is what he was thinking. I didn't know how to react to that as my industry is one dominated by white male 40 somethings(same as this gentleman in question), I'm not trying to burn bridges or seem indignant. I don't even fucking like watermelon.

LMAO

Diddy and Kate Upton eh....

tumblr_ly7zsf8xCI1qidy8go2_250.gif

Just got out of a meeting with my AVP.

I've been scheduled to attend the following classes.

Building your influence as a leader
Creating your own development plan
Leading with emotional intelligence.

Back story:
Last week one of my employees saw said colleague out to lunch with one of her subordinates. As in any work place she proceeds to talk about it amongst her peers. Long story short another employee of mine has been in a workplace relationship with the guy my peer was out to lunch with. My employee proceeds to question the guy who in turn questions my peer. My Peer then proceeds to come to my desk in an attempt to read ME the riot act because I did not address my employee.

I respond by stating as managers we are held to a higher standard and should not put our selves in a position to undermine our authority or our leadership. My peer then goes off on a tangent these whores don't know me I'm from New York I'm really bout that life. Y'all bout to see the Jamaican come out of me, etc, etc,. At this point I black out because being from the south we get tired of hearing about how Northerner's are tough Northerners are about this and that yet they proceed to move to the south. At this point I forget all 4 years of college and 13 years of leadership experience.

"Bitch sit yo dumb ass down jumping round here perpetuating every stereotype we have to overcome. It's people like you who make it hard for others. I can't believe you would let off like that over a fucking rumor!"

By this point another peer comes over. "Chris what's wrong?"

Nothing wrong with me ask this ratchet ass whore what's wrong with her!

20 minutes later I'm in a meeting with my superior.

Edit - I know I could have handled it better but.....

ReiGun

Wow the balls on some people. Lol

watermelon is horrible cantaloupe for life
Cantaloupe sucks too doe.

Jackben

bitch I'm taking calls.
Hope things get better for you, Runnin'. You seem to know your stuff and the fact that you're scheduled to attend some classes means at the very least they still value your position. What you said was pretty spot on for the situation you descibed, but as everyone else is saying, ya kept it too real.

Keepin' it real is like the #1 cause for getting banned and for real life drama for BlackGAF.
I was in the buffet line and I helped myself to some chicken, both hands were full. The guy in line next to me had some tongs in his hand and grabbed a piece of watermelon and put it on my plate. "This black guy likes fried chicken he clearly wants watermelon too", I'm sure is what he was thinking. I didn't know how to react to that as my industry is one dominated by white male 40 somethings(same as this gentleman in question), I'm not trying to burn bridges or seem indignant. I don't even fucking like watermelon.
Man...you have to wonder whether he genuinely thought he was being helpful in a racist way or was just doing it to see if he could get away with it. Fucking lol at the absurdity though. Watermelon does suck though, too watery for my tastes.

Laughed out loud at work at DiddyUP.

I think you told this story before

and it was just as funny now as it was then

I bet he looked at you and gave you that "black guy head nod" he saw on BET

Onemic

Just got out of a meeting with my AVP.

I've been scheduled to attend the following classes.

Building your influence as a leader
Creating your own development plan
Leading with emotional intelligence.

Back story:
Last week one of my employees saw said colleague out to lunch with one of her subordinates. As in any work place she proceeds to talk about it amongst her peers. Long story short another employee of mine has been in a workplace relationship with the guy my peer was out to lunch with. My employee proceeds to question the guy who in turn questions my peer. My Peer then proceeds to come to my desk in an attempt to read ME the riot act because I did not address my employee.

I respond by stating as managers we are held to a higher standard and should not put our selves in a position to undermine our authority or our leadership. My peer then goes off on a tangent these whores don't know me I'm from New York I'm really bout that life. Y'all bout to see the Jamaican come out of me, etc, etc,. At this point I black out because being from the south we get tired of hearing about how Northerner's are tough Northerners are about this and that yet they proceed to move to the south. At this point I forget all 4 years of college and 13 years of leadership experience.

"Bitch sit yo dumb ass down jumping round here perpetuating every stereotype we have to overcome. It's people like you who make it hard for others. I can't believe you would let off like that over a fucking rumor!"

By this point another peer comes over. "Chris what's wrong?"

Nothing wrong with me ask this ratchet ass whore what's wrong with her!

20 minutes later I'm in a meeting with my superior.

Edit - I know I could have handled it better but.....

When keepin it real goes wrong

Jackben

bitch I'm taking calls.
When keepin it real goes wrong
Would have made a good script for another installment of that skit. I can still hear the narrator's voice:

"GotEmRunning had a choice: he could allow his rachet peer to continue preaching and spouting off and ignore her the best he could through the rest of the workday...or he could keep it real."

ReiGun

It's fucked up, and I hope things get better at work. But yo...fucking in tears at this.

Keeping it too real. lol

Slayven

Satch holla at your boy.

I got old e and zuma chilling in the fridge, 10 piece keeping warm in the stove, and completed Perez runs on Wonder Woman.

Balls in your court.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom