• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Black Culture Thread |OT3| Lighten Up

Status
Not open for further replies.

DominoKid

we're watching Rosewood in popgaf right now and lord have mercy i cant do it

i cant even share air with white people for like a month after i watch this movie

never actually seen Rosewood. actually theres a lot of classic black movies in that vein that i havent seen. i don't do emotional movies.

and i've been that black kid that hated white people...not a good look. don't want to go back.

Vacaville was Wigger-town especially when Mac Dre and the Thizz movement started spreading. I remember a white guy saying nigga on the first day in Junior High checked his ass as soon as I heard him say it.

Central Valley towns or those near it seem awash of really high unemployment, drug gangs and misery.

Fresno is really weird. It's actually considered rich republican territory because of all the farmers. It's why our schools get a shit load of money. But yeah a lot of the little towns around there and the surrounding counties are fucking poor.

harSon

Banned
Really? I've only been to the boardwalk.

Yeah man. I had visited numerous times since I lived in San Jose, but I saw a completely different side of it when I actually lived there for college. It wasn't terrible or anything, just something I didn't expect to see at all in Santa Cruz. For example, I saw a dude walking downtown with Swastikas tat'd on both his shoulder blades and a lynch rope tat'd down his spine. I visited two weeks ago for a friends birthday party, and while I was at Safeway buying some alcohol, I saw a dude with "ARYAN" tat'd on the back of his shaved head just roaming the store. Hell, there's a KKK presence in Santa Cruz County apparently.

Vacaville was Wigger-town especially when Mac Dre and the Thizz movement started spreading. I remember a white guy saying nigga on the first day in Junior High checked his ass as soon as I heard him say it.

My best pal is from there and that's how he described it hah. Also remember these got popular:

hunidracks2paccans.jpg

macdrehunidrackscans.jpg

The pep talks on the cans are the best I need to find where someone says them.

harSon

Banned

A lot of the people I've met from Vacaville did tend to be ratchet as shit....

Yeah man. I had visited numerous times since I lived in San Jose, but I saw a completely different side of it when I actually lived there for college. It wasn't terrible or anything, just something I didn't expect to see at all in Santa Cruz. For example, I saw a dude walking downtown with Swastikas tat'd on both his shoulder blades and a lynch rope tat'd down his spine. I visited two weeks ago for a friends birthday party, and while I was at Safeway buying some alcohol, I saw a dude with "ARYAN" tat'd on the back of his shaved head just roaming the store. Hell, there's a KKK presence in Santa Cruz County apparently.

Damn. I see that shit a lot on the Southside of Fresno and a lot in Clovis. Some of my dads family has tats like that. One of my cousins has the Southern Cross on his arms. I'm like "dude you're from Cali and our family is from New York. WTF!"

Edit: The craziest thing about where I live is a lot Asians and Mexicans are republicans.

You never got to see those? Oh man they had the best shit written on the can.

The Tupac one just said

HUSTLE IN SCHOOL
HUSTLE AT WORK
HUSTLE FOR LIFE

I wish I could find the Mac Dre one.

Parallax

best seen in the classic "Shadow of the Beast"
we're watching Rosewood in popgaf right now and lord have mercy i cant do it

i cant even share air with white people for like a month after i watch this movie

I always feel so defeated after watching that movie. Its soul crushing.

DominoKid

so i ventured over to gaming side because nothing's happening on the OT. and i see this thread. i've seen lots of threads like these centered around race, sex, etc in games, the design principles behind it and whatnot. and i usually pop in and take a look just to see the angle.

the thing is, it honestly astonishes me that these things really cross people's minds. maybe because i don't play that many games anymore but even when i did, these issues never occurred to me.

you know, i don't sit around wondering why there arent a lot of black characters in games...or why the women have to be sexually appealing...things like that maybe i don't take video games seriously enough. and tbh i feel like most people IRL feel like this too. men and women.

disclaimer: this probably reads a little scattershot because i can't put my finger on exactly what i'm trying to say but its the best i could come up w/ right now.

DY_nasty

NeoGAF's official "was this shooting justified" consultant
so i ventured over to gaming side because nothing's happening on the OT. and i see this thread. i've seen lots of threads like these centered around race, sex, etc in games, the design principles behind it and whatnot. and i usually pop in and take a look just to see the angle.

the thing is, it honestly astonishes me that these things really cross people's minds. maybe because i don't play that many games anymore but even when i did, these issues never occurred to me.

you know, i don't sit around wondering why there arent a lot of black characters in games...or why the women have to be sexually appealing...things like that maybe i don't take video games seriously enough. and tbh i feel like most people IRL feel like this too. men and women.

disclaimer: this probably reads a little scattershot because i can't put my finger on exactly what i'm trying to say but its the best i could come up w/ right now.
I'll always say that Vanessa from KoF was a great, simple design but...

yeah. The design for Code of Princess just stopped me cold. Sometimes too much is too much even for too much.

What I've learned from a lot of gaming side is that they just want the same shitty stories, with the same generic male lead and the same shallow stereotypical minority secondary characters.

Mr.Fresh

I'm down. I just spent way too much on some 4's (jordans)

I was buying so many sneakers I had to stop for awhile but imma get back into it starting this week!

I'd post ones I would buy if i had money and was a dude (i typically like their designs better.)

Girls can pull off sneakers too!

But we can talk about release dates, where to buy , what's coming soon, etc etc i would just need help with a banner and stuff since my laptop decided to die. So my photoshop is gone.

I was buying so many sneakers I had to stop for awhile but imma get back into it starting this week!

But we can talk about release dates, where to buy , what's coming soon, etc etc i would just need help with a banner and stuff since my laptop decided to die. So my photoshop is gone.

I basically have a pair of these but they're not track shoes.

http://www.adidas.com/us/product/wo...3?cid=G50018&breadcrumb=svZu3Z1z13071Z1z13071

DominoKid

adidas makes some snazzy looking lifestyle stuff. at least when they're not biting jordans.

saw these at the mall in burgandy and damn near broke my neck.
adidas-AR-2_0-01.jpg

adidas ar 2.0

DY_nasty

NeoGAF's official "was this shooting justified" consultant
adidas makes some snazzy looking lifestyle stuff. at least when they're not biting jordans.

adidas-AR-2_0-01.jpg

adidas ar 2.0

Got two pairs of these right now. Green and Gold and Black/Black/Gold.

Been stacking up roundhouses too. I used to be a Nike and Jordan fanatic but I've really got away from that lately...

Mr.Fresh

I like those. You should try Shell toes or Nike air max too.

adidas-AR-2_0-01.jpg

adidas ar 2.0

Yea I saw the burgundy ones too. I really liked them in grey too. I might cop them next month. Seems like we got something goin l here. Imma start workin on the OT tomorrow .

ReiGun

I didn't think about stuff like this pretty much until I went to school and started studying game design. And yeah, it does suck when designers put in art meant purely for fan service because it means that there will players who become taken out of the world. Which is the last thing you want when making a game.

Even worse is that it's impossible to talk about shit like this without people coming out the woodwork to proclaim you're some puritan trying to take their fanservice, when really, you're just pointing out criticisms or discussing trends that bother you.

adidas-AR-2_0-01.jpg

adidas ar 2.0

I used to wear shoes like that.

Z8RROMw.png

Whatever those are called I wore the fuck out of them for years. It was a guy's shoe and heavy but so damn comfy.

double jump

you haven't lived until a random little kid ask you "how do you make love".
I like my fan service but it's gotta be in context.

on the topic of shoes, I have wide hobbit feet and most footwear doesn't feel comfortable outside of boots and flip flops.

question: do Jordans fit nicely on wide feet cause most of the nike lines suck on this front?

or what are best looking sneakers that happen to fit wide as well ?

FreeMufasa

Do this. I need a thread like that

mr jones

Ethnicity is not a race!

You know what? You might be able to help me bro.

I'm a Minnesota kid, and despite the fact that they usually suck, I love the Gophers. I love the heritage, the strength of communi - ...

...aight I pretty much dig burgundy and gold.

So, I'm looking for shoes that are burgundy, and MAN! Why is that color match up IMPOSSIBLE to find, yo? I have a pair of Timberlands that I swooped up about 8 or 9 years ago that had this color and texture of a basketball, and I STILL get complements on them because ain't nobody seen them before.

I'm looking for burgundy and gold kicks. Help me Freshy Wan Kenobi, You're my only hope.

I like my fan service but it's gotta be in context.

on the topic of shoes, I have wide hobbit feet and most footwear doesn't feel comfortable outside of boots and flip flops.

question: do Jordans fit nicely on wide feet cause most of the nike lines suck on this front?

or what are best looking sneakers that happen to fit wide as well ?

I think so. I have slim feet and I always feel like they make my feet look wide. You may want to get them a half size bigger, just in case.

I love them between sneakers and games I'm never gonna have no money! But anyway I was thinkin about makin a sneaker head OT anybody down?

Do iiiiiit.

Yo this reminds me of Rap Snacks!

They still sell Rap Snacks where I am.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom