• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Black Culture Thread |OT3| Lighten Up

Status
Not open for further replies.

FyreWulff

I still remember all 3 packed lunches I ever got for my elementary school years.

On those days, I felt like a king with my string cheese

ultim8p00

Banned
Wow, it's real.
I had no idea GAF had a black culture thread.

So something happened over at the 33 students thread and I kinda lashed out a bit, but I think this is the proper avenue to talk about it.

It was basically a video of a bunch of white girls trying to twerk and failing miserably. Then there was this random black guy in the group just posing in the middle. My initial reaction was "wtf is he doing posing like an idiot like that? does he think he's hood or something? It's a bunch of 16-17 year old girls. I bet they thought they should get a black dude to pose there to give their video street cred or something"

Later on I found out the guy was actually the author of the whole thing, which made it even worse, because now I'm thinking that this guy thought it was cool to shoot a bunch of underage girls with no ass as they miserably attempt to twerk.

But going back to my first point (which doesn't really apply to the video anymore I guess), I'm not even entirely sure how to describe it - take for example that Rebecca Black video Friday video. The song is pretty much terrible, and as you are listening to it ALL OF A SUDDEN A BLACK GUY out of nowhere and of course he is raping. Not that that in and of itself is a bad thing, but it is so perpetuated in the media that I find it annoying. In the media, the black guy always:

1. Is a rapper
2. Was/is in prison
3. Does or has done drugs
4. Plays Basketball
5. Is a thug...etc......you know where I'm going with this.

Most of these are negative, and not very representative of black people. This is all old news, of course. We know that black people get stereotyped all the time.

What REALLY annoys me though, is when BLACK PEOPLE THEMSELVES start to buy into it, and I've noticed it happen so many times it's not even funny.

My friend and I grew up in the suburbs, so we speak like people from the suburbs. We once went to the barbershop and people there started making fun of us because we sounded "white." It wasn't anything too serious, but I don't think people who say things like that ever stop to think of the implications of saying that a black person should sound "black".
I don't care too much about basketball, but I can't even count how many times I've had other black people question my "blackness" because I don't give two shits about the game. I've been called a "soft ass nigga" too, because I had to work the next day and I didn't want to drink a shit ton of vodka, or because I decided to study for my Therapy exam instead of going out, or not fuck around behind my girl's back...basically for choosing to not be irresponsible and/or an asshole.

It really bugs me that some black people buy into the stereotype of what a black person should be. Black people are just people - a product of the environment like anyone else. It seems like all we see in the media centers around black people in the projects trying to survive. We barely ever hear of the middle class.

I know this kid from my class, really smart kid. But when he's talking to his friends, he acts completely different, like he doesn't give a damn about school and brags about being late to work all the time. They think he's the funny black guy; that's about it though. None of his friends seem to ever talk to him about real shit. It's almost like they use him for comedy, or they invite us to parties because our blackness will make the party cool.

I literally had one girl tell me we were "so cool" because we were talking about some crazy shit that happen to us in Chicago and we had to drop our bottles and run from the police - basically what she expected to hear. But the minute we start talking about how much fun we had skydiving and other random things, it became quickly apparent that we were boring her...I guess because we aren't cool or ethnic enough anymore?

Idk where I'm even going with this. Kind of a long rant and kind of ramble-y I guess. Just needed to get that off my chest.

Onemic

My internet is absolute dog shit at the moment. It was a struggle to even get this message posted. I might not be able to do today if it stays like this.

Imm0rt4l

Wow, it's real.
I had no idea GAF had a black culture thread.

So something happened over at the 33 students thread and I kinda lashed out a bit, but I think this is the proper avenue to talk about it.

It was basically a video of a bunch of white girls trying to twerk and failing miserably. Then there was this random black guy in the group just posing in the middle. My initial reaction was "wtf is he doing posing like an idiot like that? does he think he's hood or something? It's a bunch of 16-17 year old girls. I bet they thought they should get a black dude to pose there to give their video street cred or something"

Later on I found out the guy was actually the author of the whole thing, which made it even worse, because now I'm thinking that this guy thought it was cool to shoot a bunch of underage girls with no ass as they miserably attempt to twerk.

But going back to my first point (which doesn't really apply to the video anymore I guess), I'm not even entirely sure how to describe it - take for example that Rebecca Black video Friday video. The song is pretty much terrible, and as you are listening to it ALL OF A SUDDEN A BLACK GUY out of nowhere and of course he is raping. Not that that in and of itself is a bad thing, but it is so perpetuated in the media that I find it annoying. In the media, the black guy always:

1. Is a rapper
2. Was/is in prison
3. Does or has done drugs
4. Plays Basketball
5. Is a thug...etc......you know where I'm going with this.

Most of these are negative, and not very representative of black people. This is all old news, of course. We know that black people get stereotyped all the time.

What REALLY annoys me though, is when BLACK PEOPLE THEMSELVES start to buy into it, and I've noticed it happen so many times it's not even funny.

My friend and I grew up in the suburbs, so we speak like people from the suburbs. We once went to the barbershop and people there started making fun of us because we sounded "white." It wasn't anything too serious, but I don't think people who say things like that ever stop to think of the implications of saying that a black person should sound "black".
I don't care too much about basketball, but I can't even count how many times I've had other black people question my "blackness" because I don't give two shits about the game. I've been called a "soft ass nigga" too, because I had to work the next day and I didn't want to drink a shit ton of vodka, or because I decided to study for my Therapy exam instead of going out, or not fuck around behind my girl's back...basically for choosing to not be irresponsible and/or an asshole.

It really bugs me that some black people buy into the stereotype of what a black person should be. Black people are just people - a product of the environment like anyone else. It seems like all we see in the media centers around black people in the projects trying to survive. We barely ever hear of the middle class.

I know this kid from my class, really smart kid. But when he's talking to his friends, he acts completely different, like he doesn't give a damn about school and brags about being late to work all the time. They think he's the funny black guy; that's about it though. None of his friends seem to ever talk to him about real shit. It's almost like they use him for comedy, or they invite us to parties because our blackness will make the party cool.

I literally had one girl tell me we were "so cool" because we were talking about some crazy shit that happen to us in Chicago and we had to drop our bottles and run from the police - basically what she expected to hear. But the minute we start talking about how much fun we had skydiving and other random things, it became quickly apparent that we were boring her...I guess because we aren't cool or ethnic enough anymore?

Idk where I'm even going with this. Kind of a long rant and kind of ramble-y I guess. Just needed to get that off my chest.

Was going to make a witty retort, but fuck it. I know that feel. It seems the only things that can be considered black culture, even amongst ourselves is usually some of the most damaging for our reputation as a people.

Just be glad no one on Neogaf has made a cumbox

What is a cumbox?

Every single time someone says something along the lines of "just be glad you don't know" it's always something you'd been better off not knowing about. That's why I'm glad I don't even take the bait anymore. It's also why I'm seriously questioning the life I've lived up to this point, since I knew exactly what PTW was talking about.

DY_nasty

NeoGAF's official "was this shooting justified" consultant
Dawg. Get on skype dawg.

im in fucking hawaii

the only time i post is when im in shitty hawaii traffic

my cell couldn't possibly handle skype out here

might post pics tho

edit:
310065_4806516046153_1181643580_n.jpg
#idontswim

im in fucking hawaii

the only time i post is when im in shitty hawaii traffic

my cell couldn't possibly handle skype out here

might post pics tho

edit:
310065_4806516046153_1181643580_n.jpg
#idontswim

#partoftheproblem

Anyway you missed some drama outside of my house. Moris and Immy got to hear that shit. Always something going on.

Some woman in an SUV scraped someone else's car or they say. They got in the middle of the street to keep her from leaving. She tapped them with her car even after backing up to try to avoid them. No idea why they couldn't just get a license plate. When dumbass people collide.

So apparently the woman driving the SUV was suspected of being drunk because of how she side wiped the parked vehicle. Watching to see what happens now. Will update...

Nakazato

So apparently the woman driving the SUV was suspected of being drunk because of how she side wiped the parked vehicle. Watching to see what happens now. Will update...

get out there and record for us remember use landscape so we wont have to bitch about portrait

Nakazato

I was already too late the cops got there before I got my shit out. She drove off so she's definitely not drunk. lol.

welp lol.
--------------------
any of you guys got anxiety issues ?? I need some advice to get them under control be for i try to enlist (starting to think its really due to the crazy amounts of stress in my relationship) I kinda want to get it under control with out meds. All I can say is it fucking sucks.

Riggs

Banned
I'd like to join ya all on Skype, not sure if you would let me tho since I've been bit of a dick in the past. (not for podcast just if you guys are bullshitting)

any of you guys got anxiety issues ?? I need some advice to get them under control be for i try to enlist (starting to think its really due to the crazy amounts of stress in my relationship) I kinda want to get it under control with out meds. All I can say is it fucking sucks.

You're joining the forces?

Riggs

Banned
Well I get the hint

Before I go w/ Anxiety man ... you have to realize no one is thinking about the shit you are probably thinking about. Helped me to chill in real life a lot, and not over think stuff. Anyway peacee.

Nakazato

Well I get the hint

Before I go w/ Anxiety man ... you have to realize no one is thinking about the shit you are probably thinking about. Helped me to chill in real life a lot, and not over think stuff. Anyway peacee.

Yea Im cool with that. I really just think having a demanding GF thats stressing me out about marriage and children is what doing it. 85% of the stress in my life bis from her.

Riggs

Banned
Yea Im cool with that. I really just think having a demanding GF thats stressing me out about marriage and children is what doing it. 85% of the stress in my life bis from her.

Boom, think you nailed it man. Whole different kind of anxiety than what I thought you meant lol. Good luck wish I had better advice, my single ass ...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom