• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Black Culture Thread |OT3| Lighten Up

Status
Not open for further replies.

harSon

Banned
It's time to buy a new car. Well not necessarily new, but something different than the heap I own now. I've currently got a '99 Dodge Stratus and I've had the thing since High School. It's been pretty reliable and doesn't have that much mileage on it considering age, but it has a few problems and I don't really feel like putting money into it.

Any recommendations? I'd prefer something used and gas efficient...

Nakazato

It's time to buy a new car. Well not necessarily new, but something different than the heap I own now. I've currently got a '99 Dodge Stratus and I've had the thing since High School. It's been pretty reliable and doesn't have that much mileage on it considering age, but it has a few problems and I don't really feel like putting money into it.

Prius not a lot of power But living in Cali you will like that it gets 45-53 gallons in the city

http://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/byclass/Compact_Cars2010.shtml
Should help as well

Slayven

the-laugh-pub-ghetto-car.jpg

I'm hoping to get a motorcycle by the end of the year because the traffic in LA sucks and it'll help me save on gas. Then I can join a Vietnamese biker gang like I've always wanted.

harSon

Banned
I'm hoping to get a motorcycle by the end of the year because the traffic in LA sucks and it'll help me save on gas. Then I can join a Vietnamese biker gang like I've always wanted.

Yo, the one time I hung out with Viet gang bangers, this shit went down: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7SEJA9RXPlw

I bounced without paying my bill too, cause I knew being the only nigga in a sea of Asians during a brawl wasn't a formula in my favor once the cops arrived.

harSon

Banned
You mean you've seen him from time to time since he got released right? This dude hasn't been free this whole time breaking chairs on dudes right?

No, he's been in and out of jail. Despite the youtube upload date, this happened like 4-5 years ago.

Damn, he had the perfect opportunity to give him The People's Elbow.

Too much Heineken or not enough?

Lol, you know what's up! South East Asians fucking love Heineken haha

So BCT I came home after work went to the store grabbed some Joose, mixed an egg, ground meat, onion, shredded cheddar cheese and feta cheese and crushed red pepper(from mother fucking pizza hut in the packets) and heated a cast iron pan at 425 degrees. Mixed that shit together and made a patty. One and a half pound patty and after the pan sat for 15 minutes and heated up. Fried that fucker and sat it in the oven then flipped it. And let it cook never mashing it down to keep the oil and juice in. An hour later after flipping I pulled out this amazing patty. Asked my girl if she wanted some. She says no I get two chedder nut bagel slice them in half carve the patty up fry some onion in the residual heat of the pan in the juice of the meat sautee that shit and throw it on the bagel. Crack open the joose and add mayo ketchup and mustard. Slice it in half turn on Netflix watch prophets of science fiction chug the joose and eat a bagel burger times mother fucking 2 and now have the greatest buzz period feeling amazing watching shit about HG wells. I'm fucking gone BCT. The high is fucking amazing. Everything is so slow. I'm gonna go lay down now. The back of my jaws feel like sparklers are in the the back of my mouth.( anyone whose been snookered knows that feeling). Hell yeah.

Another case of Friday night fucked up!!!

DominoKid

LOL

I'm working my way through Scandal, and there's no way that show can last more then 4 seasons right? By the end of season 3 she will be involved in the Roswell alien cover up.

i thought the same thing about Grey's when i stopped after like Season 3 or 4, lo and behold it's still going. Shonda will always find some new dramatic shit to make up.

Damn @ the bottom. Kerry Washington still winning.

It's clear that Kerry is a lot more well spoken (lol) than Zoe.

This is going to open a whole can of worms but I don't understand how someone who doesn't consider herself black can be playing Nina Simone. She's the embodiment of black people issues in her era.

abuC

This is going to open a whole can of worms but I don't understand how someone who doesn't consider herself black can be playing Nina Simone. She's the embodiment of black people issues in her era.

Simple answer, she's Dominican, there's a lot of self hate going on down on the Islands and in South America in general.

Check out the PBS special Black In Latin America
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6RlG4b3LV9o

People that are obviously black don't want to identify with it down there. My family does, my father speaks spanish and looks like a much darker Neil DeGrasse Tyson, he identifies with being black first, latino second.

akira28

I saw the pics and think she's a horrible choice. They got her fixed up like the kid from Mask. Is it too hard to just find a gifted actress that looks like her? Is Zoe Saldana that much of a draw?

abuC

I saw the pics and think she's a horrible choice. They got her fixed up like the kid from Mask. Is it too hard to just find a gifted actress that looks like her? Is Zoe Saldana that much of a draw?

India.Arie would have been the right choice, but she's not light enough to play the role of a black woman in Hollywood.

DominoKid

evidently.

although i can't imagine a Nina Simone biopic doing numbers like that anyway so they may as well have went for artistic quality. who knows, it could turn out well.

yeah there's was plenty of outrage when the news first broke but that lasted all of about 2 seconds once people found something else to get mad about.

in case anyone forgot or doesnt know, this is what were working with
gty_nina_simone_zoe_saldana_split_thg_121025_wg.jpg

edit: also, india arie said she didn't want the role because she's not an actress.

India Arie said:
I have always been OPEN to playing Nina, but I never saw its as my RIGHT!
I am clearly Nina Simone’s Physical Heir Apparent, THAT doesn’t mean I SHOULD play her, its been tossed around A LOT, for a LONG TIME. I back down because I feel her legacy deserves better than a FIRST TIME MOVIE ACTRESS, I’m like that about my heroes. If I ever FELT I was truly CALLED to play her, I would. And maybe Zoe Saldana REALLY is BEING CALLED SPIRITUALLY TO PLAY THIS ROLE …

she thinks it should be Viola Davis. I think Anika Noni Rose could probably do it.

How long do you guys expect to live before the lights go out and your NeoGAF subscriptions are no longer updated? I'm thinking if I get a good ripe age of 85, I'd be straight, assuming there's no afterlife and shit.

I'm 22 now, so that leaves me...22,995 days left! Shit yeah, let's do it

EscoBlades

Ubisoft Marketing
My grandpa lived till he was 102. His dad made it to 93. My grandma passed away at 87.

Assuming i keep going as i am now, am hoping i at least reach 80.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom