• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Black Culture Thread |OT3| Lighten Up

Status
Not open for further replies.

Onemic

Ok. I didn't want to believe.

But apparently the struggle is real.......

fFKQxjSl.jpg

PartTime, is that you?

Neither can I lol. I can't believe I saw someone post " why do only black people act this way" or something along the lines

Quite a number of dudes in that mall cop tazer thread. It's like I have to type really slow and taking deep breaths in order to not post something that'd get me banned.

Im surprised no one got banned. Some people were really blatant bout there shit too.

It's crazy but if someone would be as blatantly in a homosexual or a feminist thread the ban hammer would be swift. I'm avoiding that thread like the plague cause it would be account suicide.

It's crazy but if someone would be as blatantly in a homosexual or a feminist thread the ban hammer would be swift. I'm avoiding that thread like the plague cause it would be account suicide.

I've been saying for a while now. You can be as racist as you want against blacks as long as you don't flat out say "I hate niggers" but everything else is met with a swift banhammer. Point in case, I made a joke in a thread about some woman who wrecked her car; I jokingly asked was she Asian...like 12 people were like "errmahgawd wow bro! stereotype much!". I got banned 10 mins after the post. My message was "not cool" Granted it was like 2 years ago, the overall feeling on GAF hasn't changed much. Talk even an iota of shit about homosexuals, women, Asians, etc. You get banned, black people? Hey it's all good, you're asking "genuine questions."

Gorillaz

Alot of time I read a thread, go to post in it, and don't even hit submit. What ever it is going on (not just race), I just think to myself: Is it even worth the effort?

Alot of time I read a thread, go to post in it, and don't even hit submit. What ever it is going on (not just race), I just think to myself: Is it even worth the effort?

True, but man sometimes you just gotta hit the reply button because someone said something so stupid you couldn't resist.

Well, since we're on the topic of racism, subtle and explicit, and just general black things can someone explain the whole f=th thing? "Welcome to Earf" "Souf side" Where did this come from? I can say "th". My other black friends can say it too. I don't get it?

GungHo

Single-handedly caused Exxon-Mobil to sue FOX, start World War 3
Well, since we're on the topic of racism, subtle and explicit, and just general black things can someone explain the whole f=th thing? "Welcome to Earf" "Souf side" Where did this come from? I can say "th". My other black friends can say it too. I don't get it?

AAVE in Filadelfia.

Remember, we all think, sound, and act alike.

[I can't believe the number of posts I saw with this mentality. And GAF is supposed to be a progressive board? More so that others, but still!]

lol, wish we could change thread titles now

that's the rub though. GAF is actually progressive compared to 99% of other internet forums.

Could any of you pull this outfit off? I don't think I could

damn, Macklemore put on weight!

i would probably have 20% more posts if i hit 'submit reply' instead of 'preview post' then re-read and close tab. actually, i would have a lot less posts due to the bans i would catch...

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE

The funny thing is, Will Smith never says "Welcome to Earf" in that movie. He clearly pronounces the -th at the end of that word.

bishoptl

Banstick Emeritus
that thread was ahead of its time. bishoptl will go down as being on the wrong side of history.
uh huh

Listen, while I enjoy the echo chamber as much as the next guy, sitting here in this particular thread and whinging about how certain posts/threads drive you nuts instead of, y'know, doing something about it...doesn't hold much truck with me.

Someone says something dumb, get in there and make them come correct. Hit them with knowledge, call them out on their bullshit, do something. Slay's in there fighting the good fight, but if everyone in this thread went into that thread en masse and called folks out on their bullshit, you'd feel a lot better.

I can (and do) ban people for being shitheads, but a pointed word, a linked tag or even some subtle humor to expose someone's ignorance goes a long way. That should be coming from any of you, no matter the race, who takes issue with people being racist asshats. Real life, forums, whatever.

Get off your ass and get involved.

I've been saying for a while now. You can be as racist as you want against blacks as long as you don't flat out say "I hate niggers" but everything else is met with a swift banhammer. Point in case, I made a joke in a thread about some woman who wrecked her car; I jokingly asked was she Asian...like 12 people were like "errmahgawd wow bro! stereotype much!". I got banned 10 mins after the post. My message was "not cool" Granted it was like 2 years ago, the overall feeling on GAF hasn't changed much. Talk even an iota of shit about homosexuals, women, Asians, etc. You get banned, black people? Hey it's all good, you're asking "genuine questions."

Didn't know GAF can be like that will watch what I post from now on.

uh huh

Listen, while I enjoy the echo chamber as much as the next guy, sitting here in this particular thread and whinging about how certain posts/threads drive you nuts instead of, y'know, doing something about it...doesn't hold much truck with me.

Someone says something dumb, get in there and make them come correct. Hit them with knowledge, call them out on their bullshit, do something. Slay's in there fighting the good fight, but if everyone in this thread went into that thread en masse and called folks out on their bullshit, you'd feel a lot better.

I can (and do) ban people for being shitheads, but a pointed word, a linked tag or even some subtle humor to expose someone's ignorance goes a long way. That should be coming from any of you, no matter the race, who takes issue with people being racist asshats. Real life, forums, whatever.

that thread was my something about it. my will was broken after that, i'm not that 1 in 10,000.

Parallax

best seen in the classic "Shadow of the Beast"
uh huh

has talking about the cakesoap thread that you ohko'd

harSon

Banned
uh huh

I used to go HAM in race related threads. But after years of doing it, I came to the conclusion that the hours upon hours I spent typing up well thought out, articulate and intellectually sound posts were pretty much all for nought. I'd rarely engage in any meaningful debate, at least debate that was reflective of the effort I put into my posts. I would type out a damn college thesis, and simply be met with "Lol, harSon's talking about race again!" or something as equally idiotic and effortless. And ignorance runs deep within society, and there are far too many ignorant assholes to weed them out in any meaningful way IMO.

Fighting the good fight is a young man's game.

I used to go HAM in race related threads. But after years of doing it, I came to the conclusion that the hours upon hours I spent typing up well thought out, articulate and intellectually sound posts were pretty much all for nought. I'd rarely engage in any meaningful debate, at least debate that was reflective of the effort I put into my posts. I would type out a damn college thesis, and simply be met with "Lol, harSon's talking about race again!" or something as equally idiotic and effortless. And ignorance runs deep within society, and there are far too many ignorant assholes to weed them out in any meaningful way IMO.

I agree at this point in life.

FyreWulff

Not directly related to that thread, but I used to put more effort into posts too. I actually want a debate, but a lot of times people will just eject out with a parting personal attack, or go "lol post too big", or just repeat what they said earlier and not even make an attempt to debate, just stand there and repeat it over and over again. It's like trying to debate a brick wall.

I'll admit when I'm wrong but it's no fun if the other person just goes "Ha ha told you so"/posts a meme gif/tl;drs then jets

heh, just realized i never done this:

Where you're from- London, England

Where you live- Ontario, Canada

Your cultural heritage, lineage and genealogy- Jamaican , Grandma from my mum's side lives in Kingston, Other Grandma from my dad's side lives in Belize

Your Age- 25, a Cancer the Crab kid
Favorite musical genre- Hiphop, RnB, some alternative rock, even some decent anime ost's (eg Samurai Champloo), anything that sounds alternative in different Genres

Your profession/major/career interest- Was a HSBC bank teller, unemployed now but probably go back into banking, doing applications now

Your religious affiliation- Zilch

Hobbies
- Exercise, making moves on some fine women (im no FreeMufusa tho heh), lol'ing at US Politics, Gaming (love my 360/3DS/PS3), Listening to Music, certain TV shows (Breaking Bad/Mad Men) might start Dexter and finally start watching that new Avatar series, a few manga/anime, constant Ebay/Kijiji seller while unemployed lol

bishoptl

Banstick Emeritus
If we all rolled in there calling out shit wouldn't we be accused of acting like the so called "PC Brigade" that was referenced in the return of the word Cunt thread?
Depends on how you roll, doesn't it? Worrying about the opinions of people who obviously don't respect you based solely on your race seems rather limiting, in my view.

If we all rolled in there calling out shit wouldn't we be accused of acting like the so called "PC Brigade" that was referenced in the return of the word Cunt thread?

"here comes BlackGAF again... why don't those uppity negoes stick to their community thread, Hip-Hip, Vita and NBA GAF?"

Depends on how you roll, doesn't it? Worrying about the opinions of people who obviously don't respect you based solely on your race seems rather limiting, in my view.

my strategy nowadays is don't worry about them at all unless they have a gun or a badge. or if i have nothing better to do...

i think i'll stick to talking about how awesome it is to IRC from my phone.

This, I remember one time there was a "why don't black people swim" thread on TeamXbox...never again did I partake in a racial thread; that shit was physically painful.

yeah, that one always gets me because i'm from the caribbean, even though some of the younger fam was born in the US, my whole family can swim! then again, some of us are pretty light skinned, can't be 100% black tho right?

Gorillaz

Would it be a good idea to have all of a Community thread roll deep into a thread? I mean isn't that one of the reasons Pop Gaf gets some slack is the fact they roll deep in thread invasions?

yeah, that one always gets me because i'm from the caribbean, even though some of the younger fam was born in the US, my whole family can swim! then again, some of us are pretty light skinned, can't be 100% black tho right?

My other favorite debate! Light skinned? lmao you're not black! Queue that Beyonce thread. A few cats saying she's white because she's light skinned? I don't even...

I stopped posting in that thread after some other members PMed me warning that others caught bans saying similar stuff.

As long as we've got a white guy posting with us, it'll be ok.

SmokeyDave has posted in there already I think.

I'm white... mostly. I mean most people think I am Italian and my last name is Parker...

oh and no joke I was always the person that talked to the cops growing up. My mexican and black friends would kind of nominate me to do it.

harSon

Banned
My other favorite debate! Light skinned? lmao you're not black! Queue that Beyonce thread. A few cats saying she's white because she's light skinned? I don't even...

I've heard plenty of racism regarding mixed individuals. Like some dude telling that black girls are ugly, and that the only reason women like Paula Patton are cute is the fact that "their white side softens the black features." Haven't talked to him since.

RedSwirl

Am I just lucky I've almost never encountered shit like this in real life? I mean, I don't even know what I would do to be honest. I probably just wouldn't even try.

Speaking of light-skin black people I remember I was in the car with my friends they all were lighter skinned than I was and I forgot how it started but they started talking about me being darker skinned then them. Then I was said "I'ma get on this TV, momma I'ma, I'ma break shit down I'ma make sure these light skinned niggaz Never ever never come back in style ! They all shut up after that but we got stop this Darker Vs Lighter Skin DAT JIM CROW/SLAVE MENTALITY we all considered BLACK at the end of the day.

Speaking of light-skin black people I remember I was in the car with my friends they all were lighter skinned than I was and I forgot how it started but they started talking about me being darker skinned then them. Then I was said "I'ma get on this TV, momma I'ma, I'ma break shit down I'ma make sure these light skinned niggaz Never ever never come back in style ! They all shut up after that but we got stop this Darker Vs Lighter Skin shit we all considered BLACK at the end of the day.

Yep

Light skinned Negros FTW hahahahahaha

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom